• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has anyone tried Datel's 16MB, 32MB or 64MB PlayStation2 memory cards?

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Supposedly, Datel has a scheme that bypasses Sonys magic gate encryption used in their 1st party 8MB memory cards(the so-called "Gate Crasher" chip)....

So are these cards any good?

I have over 200 PS2 games and I am sick of the 8 meg card...I would like to replace all of my PS2 cards with a couple of these:

http://us.codejunkies.com/shop/product.asp?c=US&cr=USD&cs=$&r=0&l=1&ProdID=306

Is this a good, reliable product or should I not even go there?

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Supposedly Sony is making a 64 MB memory Card for the PS2 that could be used for game saves and even limited downloadable content(i.e. SOCOM II Maps at 10 MB each). Release is around Spring 05 or earlier. I would like to know if someone knows the transfer rate of the PS2's memory card slots.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
There are definitely larger cards coming a friend at SCEA mentioned it to me a back when I was expressing my displeasure to him at the dumping of HDD support for the new PSTwo.

Defensor said:
Supposedly Sony is making a 64 MB memory Card for the PS2 that could be used for game saves and even limited downloadable content(i.e. SOCOM II Maps at 10 MB each). Release is around Spring 05 or earlier. I would like to know if someone knows the transfer rate of the PS2's memory card slots.

Defensor, that's the second time I've seen you quote 10MB as the size of a SOCOM 2 downloadable level. Are you sure? That seems a bit small. I mean I know they've got most of the art, character models, etc in the main game. But surely, describing the level, the new textures, level models (the subway, new structures), will take up more space?

Or are you sure? :D

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
sonycowboy said:
Defensor, that's the second time I've seen you quote 10MB as the size of a SOCOM 2 downloadable level. Are you sure? That seems a bit small. I mean I know they've got most of the art, character models, etc in the main game. But surely, describing the level, the new textures, level models (the subway, new structures), will take up more space?

Or are you sure? :D

It was in the E-Seals Newsletter IIRC, otherwise it was mentioned in IGN's interview:

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/549/549665p2.html

IGN: How large are these maps going to be in terms of hard drive space?

Seth Luisi: When you enable the hard drive support in SOCOM II it sets aside 256 megs of the drive for downloadable data so all of those go into that area. These maps take up less than 10 megs each so there will be plenty of space left over.

A Zipper employee also told me about it :D

Top Bottom