• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you miss memory cards?

Miss memory cards?

• Yes

Votes: 37 16.4%
  • Nope

Votes: 189 83.6%

• Total voters

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Nowadays, when I go to a friend's house with a modern system, I either have to bring my entire console with me
Not a problem with a Switch :messenger_sunglasses:

Memcards were cool, but when you started having multiple ones, good luck remembering on which one you had a save for that particular game.
Also, in the first years of the PlayStation, you’d have some games that used an entire card for a single save. I remember my friend renting Alone in the Dark 2. The game was hard enough that you’d basically have to save after every move, but when I saw the game asking to wipe out every save I had on my card to save a state, I noped out loud, turned off the console and took out the CD before my friend could start laughing at my reaction. Never touched that game again.

PS2 was hilarious because every single reference to its official memcards on manuals and boxes just had to quote “Memory Card (8MB) (for PlayStation2)”. Every. Single. Time. It was almost as ridiculous as the media being forced to write the entire title “Marvel‘s Spider-Man: Miles Morales” in every single reference to the game, even if it meant writing it whole several times in a single tweet.

CamHostage

Mostly no, they were expensive and confinef and breakable/loseable.

However, I voted "yes" for two reasons...

One, I loved the memory cast icons, especially the PS2 ones that animated and could change depending on game status. (MGS3 had 3 different ones, including a satellite+banana icon for Snake vs Monkey mode.)

Two is, I do miss the culture that Memory Card trading and management fostered. Trading saves was a whole industry and community at the time. And collecting cool memory card designs or stickers personalized your save collection.

Memort Cards were a more clumsy and manual experience, it was always the worst when you got a new game and there was no room left on your card to play it, (and if you couldn't afford a new card, oh man, what a Sofie's Choice it was deciding what to delete...) but there was something charming about Memory Card Saves having physical value. Today, as with many forms of "digital ownership", I have no clue what data is on my hard drive or cloud storage, and I don't take any care to preserve it. Memory Cards were a thing you owned and used, while today your saves are just virtual whatevers.

Last edited:

JCK75

Hell no.. but I do missing having game carts that saved games.. I mean going to friends house to play on their system and your saves come with you was awesome.. and back then I was poor and only bought games used from yard sales and shit so I kind of liked having other peoples saves there just for the hell of checking out where they were in the game.

bumpkin

I worked in retail during the PlayStation 1, 2, and N64 days and I always felt bad telling customers that they needed a memory card to save their games when they were buying the console. The powers-that-be loved it though because it brought up our tie-in numbers on the transactions.

From a consumer perspective? Nope, don’t miss them. Mostly because of the prior story, but also because I like not having to think/worry about it.

The only tiny thing I do miss is being able to easily bring my game saves with me to a friend’s house. It was wicked useful for games like Tekken 2 and 3 that had unlockable fighters.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Xbox_Series_X_and_Series_S_storage_expansion.jpg

Not really, it cost me £375 for 2tb a while back:'(

Last edited:

CamHostage

Nowadays, when I go to a friend's house with a modern system, I either have to bring my entire console with me or I have to go through a big process of manually copying over my save data to USB/external HDD, logging into my account on their system, copying the files back over to the system, and then when I leave, having to copy the files back over to the USB/external HDD and deleting my account..

I'm surprised none of the console manufacturers evet created a physical "Gamer ID" card or device to carry with you as you go about gaming.

Like a USB Keychain or a tap-to-login card (although only Nintendo's Wii U & Switch included NFC readers, which is a little odd imo) that you could pocket and bring with you. Tap or plug it, type a quick pin, and you're gaming on your cloud-saved profile and data. (Purchases might need extra security, but that's possible with TFA on a phone.)

Maybe this wouldn't be a huge seller, but I always thought that would be a fun accessory to sell (as like a wristband or keychain or what have you, something that visibly identified you as a certain type of gamer in public. ) It'd be secure on your person (so long as you log out when you're done playing,) and it would encourage players to build their player stats even when not at home. Arcades did this a few times in the '00s (Japanese arcades i think all do? ) and maybe these id's could do more in other places. (Nintendoland in Universal Studios today might have given you something for bringing your Gamer ID to the park. )

These days, all of this could be done with a phone and an app (I'm actually not sure how well the apps help or don't help in gaming outside the home? never tried any of those features, if they even exist, ) but having an ID device to hold would have been a cool personalization item back in the day that this all seemed novel and people actually still went to friend's houses to game.

Last edited:
Not neccessarily memory cards themselves, since needing to delete things was a pain, but I do miss the added personality they gave games. For example, the different models and animations save files had on PS2, or the 2D art for games on Dreamcast.

Crayon

Largely nostalgic but yeah! If I was visiting friends just to play games like I used to, I think I'd want them back. They always made a ton of sense to me. Just leave the thing in the console until you want to take it somewhere. I don't see the big inconvenience.

StereoVsn

I kind of have fond memories of the memory cards despite their issues. It was cool to grab a memory card out of PS1/PS2 and go to a friend’s place. Although, it’s not fun dealing with various issues around the cards.

However, it’s 2024 so we have modern solutions to this problem!

This is a memory card for PS1, PS2 with WiFi and uses a microsd card for saves. It’s freaking awesome and I love it.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

If you miss them, then buy an Xbox with its over priced and size restrictive plug in proprietary expansion cards. Then you'll remember why its great that we've moved onto more cost effective and size flexible storage solutions.

Comandr

I remember just getting the Ragnarok in FF8 and my memory card got corrupted somehow. Then it happened again right as I got to the very last area in FF9. I ended up never beating either of them for years because I didn't have the will power to do it all over again.

Dreamcast VMU was the sickest shit. I'd take my Chao everywhere when I was a teenager. Never found anyone to connect with though.

RCU005

I don't understand why Sony and Nintendo kidnap the game saves on the consoles. You could say "because they want you to pay for cloud saves", but saving in the cloud and saving into a USB are two different things, that could still work separately.

Many people could have stuff saved in the cloud (iCloud, Google Drive, Onedrive, etc), but still have the need to save onto a USB or HDD.

It's extremely petty, specially from Sony, since they have allowed this on PS3 and PS4.

MujkicHaris

I don't miss memory cards per se but I miss what they represent; an era when developers would put a lot more effort into little details. The effort and games were pure and genuine.

I love how each game on PS2 had a 3D icon for a save file. Some icons were generic while others would contain a popular item from a game. I was always curious to see what the icon looked like.
Or how PS2 intro tower blocks changed in size based on how many times games were started.

lzirdK7.png

Last edited:
I think there were a lot of small, physical rituals that people miss about physical games. I always loved opening a new game, thumbing through the manual a bit, then putting the disc in the tray. (OG PS2 had the absolute best disc tray ever made).

But even now physical games are kind of a joke in that many have to download stuff or install things before you can start playing the game.

JayK47

It was nice on Xbox 360 being able to just bring the memory card over to friend's place to couch coop and my save and profile was on it. Now days, there is essentially no couch coop and every gamer is expected to buy the game and play on their own system. Boy, did we gamers get screwed and love every bit of it.

I might remember them more fondly if I didn't have one of these bootleg ones that didn't really work very well.
s-l400.jpg

But it was cheaper than an original one and had way more capacity.
dam you took me back with this, not that product but i remember getting a product from pelican. it was a light for a gameboy lol.

In general, no, but I voted yes for nostalgia. I miss the Dreamcast memory card that allowed you to load your Chao from Sonic Adventure into. Had a blast with that as a kid.
maxresdefault.jpg

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Fuck no
I hated it the second it came out.

Even some n64 games required a memory pack… such bullshit

Esppiral

No. They were already a step backwards compared to being able to save in the cartridge. An annoyance that came to be because of the disc format. You never had issues with saving on cartridges. With cd consoles, you either did not have room to save, or the memory would get wiped, or the memory card was full and you had to have like 4 of them around etc... and you had to pay for them.

I can't find a single positive about them.
I don't miss them in fact I allways hated them, also the Xbox is a "CD" based console and you don't need to buy any extra storage solution to save basically infinite savegames.

Larxia

When I got my PS2 in spring 2002 I had to get this piece of shit 3rd party memory card that had ITS OWN BOOT DISC. You literally had to boot the PS2 up with this mini disc that came with the memory card in order for it to be recognized, then swap to the game disc and launch it. What a fucking piece of garbage.
Wtf??? I never heard of such thing :messenger_hushed: :pie_gsquint:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Up to a certain degree yes.
I dislike when savegames are locked off completely. on the other hand, not having to buy and slot a memory card to save is practical.

Sony and their PSP/Vita proprietary cards can fuck right off too.

Last edited:
T
No. They were already a step backwards compared to being able to save in the cartridge. An annoyance that came to be because of the disc format. You never had issues with saving on cartridges. With cd consoles, you either did not have room to save, or the memory would get wiped, or the memory card was full and you had to have like 4 of them around etc... and you had to pay for them.

I can't find a single positive about them.
The positive is if you do not own the game or no longer own the game you can carry on at your mates house

Top Bottom