• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you miss memory cards?

Miss memory cards?

• Yes

Votes: 37 16.4%
  • Nope

Votes: 189 83.6%

• Total voters

Larxia

This is the only pic I could find of it (and I don’t think mine was even a 16MB one). Look at this piece of shit:
lo7sjcH.jpeg

Still better than trying to play FFX without saving though
XINQAG9.png

mdkirby

I don’t even remotely miss disks, having to get up and root around boxes to find the right disk just to play a game is a million times worse than just pressing play. Adding memory cards into the mix is just insane.

Even for going elsewhere, just set the game to download and make a coffee, the internet is so fast these days it’ll be ready to play by the time you’re done. 🤷‍♂️

BigLee74

Eh? What could be easier than logging in to your account and continuing with your cloud save?

I do miss getting the belt at school though, because you got a warm tingly arse at the end when the pain subsided.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The only info I could find on this abomination was an Ars Technica forum post from 2002 (warning how shitty these are) saying that it fit 16MB by compressing the data, and it needed to load the decompression software.

Ahh the bad old days.

Muffdraul

What I really miss is being able to copy saves to a USB thumb drive to keep them without taking up console memory. I know it can't be done on PS5 or Switch, but in the 2+ years I've owned an Xbox SX I've never bothered to try.

CLW

Sort of surprised the SSDs don’t just have a case and detachable usb

Maybe I’m just an idiot but I don’t understand why this Gen you cannot connect a ssd externally and have it work nearly/just as well

flying_sq

No, when I used my PS4 and went over my friend's house, I just logged into my PSN account and it downloaded my saves to his PS4. One less thing for me to buy and lose.

Rickyiez

No fucking way, good riddance to be honest. Memory card is the equivalent of ancient civilization way of cooking foods compared to cloud saving nowadays

Lunarorbit

Gold Member
Not having read the thread responses yet everyone must have mentioned psycho mantis?

I loved the little demon familiar in symphony of the night and he would pop up sometimes as the icon for that game.

Kinda related but the ridge racer CD trick might be my favorite innovation ever in a video game. It was so mind blowing.

For those that don't know you could pause the game and press the open button on the ps1. Then you could put whatever music you wanted to listen to and that'd be the soundtrack.

Lunarorbit

Gold Member
Not a problem with a Switch :messenger_sunglasses:

Memcards were cool, but when you started having multiple ones, good luck remembering on which one you had a save for that particular game.
Also, in the first years of the PlayStation, you’d have some games that used an entire card for a single save. I remember my friend renting Alone in the Dark 2. The game was hard enough that you’d basically have to save after every move, but when I saw the game asking to wipe out every save I had on my card to save a state, I noped out loud, turned off the console and took out the CD before my friend could start laughing at my reaction. Never touched that game again.

PS2 was hilarious because every single reference to its official memcards on manuals and boxes just had to quote “Memory Card (8MB) (for PlayStation2)”. Every. Single. Time. It was almost as ridiculous as the media being forced to write the entire title “Marvel‘s Spider-Man: Miles Morales” in every single reference to the game, even if it meant writing it whole several times in a single tweet.
I remember taking white out and slathering that on the mem card and then doing a doodle to try and remember what was on it

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No. They were already a step backwards compared to being able to save in the cartridge. An annoyance that came to be because of the disc format. You never had issues with saving on cartridges. With cd consoles, you either did not have room to save, or the memory would get wiped, or the memory card was full and you had to have like 4 of them around etc... and you had to pay for them.

I can't find a single positive about them.

The worst was N64 games that required memory card to save. Cheap publishers I guess.

Dr. Suchong

Miss taking my Ps2 one round to friends with FF12 saves with the Zodiac spear, various Nippon ichi game saves and carrying on playing there whilst kicking back with a few brewskies.
Vmu units perforating my eardrums when I fired up the Dreamcast and the battery had died.
Laughing at idiot customers buying shitty third party ones when I worked at Gamestation.
"My saves keep disappearing"
Live and learn.
At least you lived..
Yeah, I do miss them tbh even without the obvious nostalgia.

Dr. Suchong

Eh? What could be easier than logging in to your account and continuing with your cloud save?

I do miss getting the belt at school though, because you got a warm tingly arse at the end when the pain subsided.
We need a "Do you miss corporal punishment? " thread, swiftly followed with a detailed discussion on the drooling joys of "warm tingly arse"

Last edited:

GrayDock

I don't 'miss' them, but I remeber them very fondly, because, as I used to rent most of my games, they enabled me to finish games with save files instead of passwords for the first time.
I remember 'hiding' games, like Super Metroid, behind others like Barbie and the like so I could find my save on it in the next weekend...
Nowadays I don't mind my saves 'locked' to my PSN/Steam account, but some sort of external bkp would be nice.

Audiophile

A nice touch would be the ability to put saves on a USB stick (w/ single player/offline components not being tied to accounts) and for the nostalgic among us; for Sony to release some low cost/capacity USB drives with the aesthetic styling of the PS1/PS2 memory cards.

DaGwaphics

While I have some nostalgia for the old PS1/Dreamcast memory cards, I can't see a single positive vs. just saving on a hdd. Even the portability is moot because you can backup saves to a USB or utilize the cloud saves.

My favorite was a PS1 card I had from a third-party, it was 4 memory cards in one and you cycled through with a little button on the front.

Eimran

I feel nostalgic about them, sure. Missing them? I don't think so. Corrupted save files due to a power outage or your mom turning off the console after she told you for the 4th time you to do something was painful. I lost a FFX save that way.
HhicRrf.gif

When someone deleted your save file

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I mean cloud saves took the place of memory cards but they were great in their day. Anything that gives you more option is okay in my book.

Top Bottom