• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Marathon been cancelled?

Bartski

Gold Member
Animated GIF

Xyphie

I don't understand how they can have such a hard time with this game. Just copy Escape from Tarkov's gameplay loop and put that cyberpunk-ish aesthetic on it. EFT is just ripe to be disrupted by a slightly more casual F2P game with a console version.

What if it was cancelled, but they will use the concept as a skin for Concord and bring it back to market that way.

Then it is a game with multi and extraction shooter modes.

Reforge is a fkn moron, how has it been cancelled? it won't be. This guy has no evidence.

He presents his eviendece in the video. It's not insane to think it might have been canceled with all the stuff going on at Bungie. He suspects Sony is going to take Marathon and basically absorb the idea into Destiny 2 which I actually don't think is that crazy of an idea.

tmlDan

He presents his eviendece in the video. It's not insane to think it might have been canceled with all the stuff going on at Bungie. He suspects Sony is going to take Marathon and basically absorb the idea into Destiny 2 which I actually don't think is that crazy of an idea.
There is no evidence of that, he has no evidence, its all made up speculation

Mortisfacio

What is an extraction shooter? I saw a thread somewhere that asked if helldivers would have been better as one

Maybe I just don't understand the definition of an extraction shooter, but no matter how many times I've been told Helldivers isn't an extraction shooter, I play extraction shooters like DMZ, then play Helldivers and just think "OK, Helldivers is an extraction shooter".

Guilty_AI

Gold Member
Remember people, anyone interested in the real Marathon can play the entire trilogy for free

Fans even made a modern spiritual sequel, also free:

That would make the most sense. No reason to split Bungie's resources between two somewhat similar (in terms of theme & aesthetic) games. Destiny "next-gen" platform could use some fresh gameplay ideas and the ones presented for Marathon could work very well in its framework. Additionally, Destiny already has brand cache and a fanbase; Marathon really doesn't (it's been almost 30 years since the last Marathon game).

However, if SIE do make that move, it also means they'll absorb all of Bungie under them into SIE. Marathon was going to be the "test" to see if Bungie could remain as-is, but if upper management culture got so bad to result in what's happened recently, they're honestly better off fully under SIE. Plus I think that's what the creatives and studio folks want; might be worth doing what they want in this case.

MiguelItUp

Doesn't really seem to have any evidence at all that it could be.

That being said, it probably should be. People weren't a fan of the IP reboot from the get-go when it was announced it would be an extraction shooter.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Would be funny if it was, but I doubt it.

Even though Bungie did layoffs and such, I think they still got like 800 employees(?) I dont think the new Destiny 2 content still needs that many people. If Marathon was on the chopping block, they would had done it a month ago with the restructuring instead of messing with Marathon now.

Last edited:
I doubt it gets canceled but I'm certain it will be half-assed. Depending on the state of the project, Sony might have downscaled it so it releases within 18 months.

LordCBH

They fired like 300 people and canned all non-D2&Marathon projects like three months ago. No. It isn’t cancelled.

simpatico

In the modern era, the best way for AAA gaming companies to have money is to not make games.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Good video, but still all random bits of info he's trying to compile into one narrative.

Regardless, what's also important to note (which the YT guy and others bring up) is that trends change. Whether game style trend of the recent year of tons of wokeish games and movies bombing bad, all these games are lets say 5 years into dev. Some more, some less. Doesnt really matter.

In order to adjust to the market, they might have to overhaul their game, graphics, character and plot. And that takes time and money. For a silly game like Concord, even if they wanted to adjust they cant because the game launches in 3 months and at that time in June, no CEO is going to say ya lets retool the game for another couple years and then show gamers again and do a beta test in 2026. It got to a point there's no turning back.

Just comes down to: if and how many game studios are down the rabbit hole so much they cant or wont retool their game. Some will, some wont. Good luck studios.... especially ones who do last minute marketing like Concord. At least any dev showing a game in a detailed way two years earlier has time to maybe adjust. Not 3 month to launch go getters like Concord.

Last edited:
$3.6 billion.

And $1.2 billion of it isnt even captured as asset value. It was retention bonuses. Many people got fired anyway.
Retention bonuses are considered part of an investment. Those bonuses were never going to be given to the workers. Those were clearly for the CEO, CFOs and other higher ups in the food chain.

Last edited:
Top Bottom