• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Marathon been cancelled?

Thebonehead

I used genAi to summarise it so you don't have to watch it.

The video discusses the possibility of Marathon, a live service game developed by Bungie, being canceled. The speaker expresses concerns about the game's development, including the firing of the former director for misconduct, changes in the game's direction, and negative feedback from the community. Additionally, reports from Jason Schreier and Tom Henderson suggest that the game is in trouble and may have already been canceled.

The speaker also analyzes the recent changes announced for Destiny 2, including the introduction of smaller, more experimental expansions. They believe that these changes may be a result of Sony's intervention, forcing Bungie to refocus their efforts on their most profitable game.

Ultimately, the speaker concludes that Marathon is likely to be canceled due to a combination of factors, including negative market sentiment, internal issues, and Sony's pressure to prioritize Destiny 2. While the cancellation would be disappointing, it may be the best decision for Bungie's long-term success

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

The video discusses the possibility of Marathon, a live service game developed by Bungie, being canceled. The speaker expresses concerns about the game's development, including the firing of the former director for misconduct, changes in the game's direction, and negative feedback from the community. Additionally, reports from Jason Schreier and Tom Henderson suggest that the game is in trouble and may have already been canceled.

The speaker also analyzes the recent changes announced for Destiny 2, including the introduction of smaller, more experimental expansions. They believe that these changes may be a result of Sony's intervention, forcing Bungie to refocus their efforts on their most profitable game.

Ultimately, the speaker concludes that Marathon is likely to be canceled due to a combination of factors, including negative market sentiment, internal issues, and Sony's pressure to prioritize Destiny 2. While the cancellation would be disappointing, it may be the best decision for Bungie's long-term success
Thats pretty spot on from what remember. Didnt know AI can summarize videos.

When you actually think about it Bungie have been slowly declining since they left Microsoft/Xbox. The Sony acquisition was the final nail unfortunately, given the shambles that is Playstation first party studios currently they undoubtedly played no small part in the fall of this once great studio.

mdkirby

Rework it like halo. Single and co op decent campaign with a smaller multiplayer mode, the success of which the entire project doesn’t depend on. The aesthetics are genuinely pretty cool. If the smaller multiplayer mode resonates with people and it finds an audience, then build on it.

People would love a proper co op / single player campaign from the creators of halo.

Coming up with a bunch of reasons something could be cancelled and then attributing them to a game potentially getting cancelled out of left field is a bit much though. Marathon is not getting cancelled. It doesn't even make sense if you tried to humor the list of reasons given in the video. Bungie has made great games. Sony isn't about to drop the axe on their next one. If I'm wrong so be it lol.

At this point it's pretty easy to assumption that this game can be cancel. It's foling the same steps like TLOU Factions.
Not really, Factions would have released if Ryan and Co hadn't insisted ND expand it to a standalone release. This is just Bungie not being able to execute on their vision.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I am really interested in Marathon. I love extraction shooters, I like the gameplay of Destiny 2, though not so much the monetization.

I hope they can right the ship and get this out in a good state.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Considering what a trainwreck Bungie has been past few years, I'd say tit for tat is fair.

Anytime Bungie acts as MP overseer for SIE studios, those Sony studios should act as overlords too evaluating Destiny and Marathon.

Kvally

Maybe I am showing my age, but I don't think I will ever trust this AI era. That said, thanks for the summary.

Hookshot

I doubt it’s cancelled, maybe spun off to single player. These games take a minimum of 5 years. If it’s cancelled that’s nothing from them for until Ps6. And what fad would they even start chasing today? Nostalgia filled kids platformer?

Other than destiny

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
I dunnu buddy... you tell us
FUDeapP.jpeg

kaizenkko

Not really, Factions would have released if Ryan and Co hadn't insisted ND expand it to a standalone release. This is just Bungie not being able to execute on their vision.
When I said "like TLOU Factions", I meant: just like Factions, we don't saw any gameplay of it, and rumour about are just bad ones.

Sony already have cancel a lot of GAAS projects and I think that especially after Concord, anything can be shut down.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
da165f75-1791-45c0-85b2-d5aa6d329756_text.gif

Who cares if it is? Aside from a hyper-stylized CGI trailer we know next to nothing about this game.

Surely no one is actually excited at this point, especially considering Bungie's track record of late.

Last edited:
When I said "like TLOU Factions", I meant: just like Factions, we don't saw any gameplay of it, and rumour about are just bad ones.

Sony already have cancel a lot of GAAS projects and I think that especially after Concord, anything can be shut down.
Yeah absolutely, when the upper management isn't seeing a disaster brewing years out from release for example Concord then those are to blame, and that's why you're seeing Sony HQ taking a much firmer grip on the PS division. Those past mistakes made by Ryan are still reverberating through the division and will for many years to come.

Branded

I don't get the negativity towards this new Marathon tbh. There's room in the extraction shooter space for a title that isn't all gritty and 'poor' visibility but instead offers a striking art style. Basically give me a Hunt Showdown competitor that's actually good.

It's just people rooting against the future of gaming. Everyone knows Marathon has a chance at being Apex Legends big. If that happens more investment will flow towards GAAS.

No one who likes multiplayer is rooting against it.
Nobody is rooting against it per se but more like questioning that current Bungie can create a game capable of retaining players for years to come. The fact is the studio has been practically gutted and the slow and painful decline of Destiny was happening way before then.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Bungie's pricing manager is cancelling Marathon for everyone. Rumor price is $40.

H2 was a smash hit. Concord giant bomb. They better hope Marathon lands closer to the H2 side, since Marathon is no quick and dirty shooter like a studio selling a retro game where 1M copies solid is a great win. It's supposed to be another AAA GAAS game and big sales over a decade kind of thing.

Last edited:
Maybe this time Naughty Dog cancelled Bungie’s live service project as a revenge move?

Maybe all Sony studio’s review eachother projects like this.
Housemarque is about to cancel Horizon 3.

That’s why we don’t get any showcases anymore…

Griffon

If Sony was smart they'd take all the assets and game engine, and remake that into a story campaign like we all asked for. And watch as the game sells millions of copies as the new(old) Halo phenomenon.

Top Bottom