• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Unreal Engine 5 (lumen, nanite, metahuman) really helped reduce development time/costs?

Has Unreal Engine 5 really reduced development time/cost

• Yes

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • No

Votes: 124 81.0%

• Total voters

nnytk

Neo Member
Well certainly not on compute side of things:

I highly recommend this video, given its probably a reason UE5 isn't used it as much and certainly it isn't what initial hyped might have suggested

TLDR: Nanite introduce a lot of overdraw, which means you are wasting GPU cycles, LOD even generated one is far better for optimisation. Given what has been said in this video and by own account, while playing with it extensively, I think Nanite will be something like a ID Tech mega texture down the line. Not the mention the strain on CPU, which isn't handled in a way ID Tech 7 is for example. But one director core and other aux ones, which limits performance based on Single Core performance, which is especially problem in consoles.

I really wanted Nanite to succeed and grow into something widely used.

The idea of "infinite" draw distances is super exciting to me. Seeing dragons flying towards you from insane distances or being able to really take in the scope of a game world with not too much "fog".

It's a shame that this didn't grow into the industry standard I thought it would.

Top Bottom