• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have video games always been expensive?

Dujour

Banned
PhatSaqs said:
I think NES game debuted at 29 bucks but I might be mistaken. I do remember Phantasy Star 2 coming out at $69.99 and thinking that games would be @ hundred dollars in a couple years at that time.
:lol

My brother always told me he got it for $84. Unless it was the first one. I remember it was a big thing for a cart to be 24 megs and have a sticker on the box saying so.

Games have always been fucking expensive. Emphasis on fucking. Technically, they're cheaper now...but if you look at the cost of living and the average income, it's gotten more expensive...but not by much.

bjork

Serafitia said:
:lol

My brother always told me he got it for $84. Unless it was the first one. I remember it was a big thing for a cart to be 24 megs and have a sticker on the box saying so.

It says "5 MEGA MEMORY" on the front... and preceded Strider which was the first 8 Meg Genesis game iirc.

I know it was a fairly British thing, but the home computer craze back in the 80s came with alot of cheap games. I'm talking about the tape cassette games for systems like the Spectrum ZX, Commodore 64 and Amstrad CPC 464

I could walk into my local newsagent in random suburbia and pick up a new tape game for £1.99 - £2.99. I'd just buy games on the merit of the cover artwork. They were, with a few notable exceptions, rubbish.

Then I got all geeky and imported a Super Famicom. The most I ever paid SNES-wise was for Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo (Jap import) on the week of it's release. It cost me £65 and I got mugged on the way home : ( Although the mofos who nicked it almost certainly didn't import their weakass PAL snes, so I hope it didn't work and that whoever they sold it to couldn't get it to work either. Bah!

Loki

Count of Concision
bjork said:
It says "5 MEGA MEMORY" on the front... and preceded Strider which was the first 8 Meg Genesis game iirc.

Phantasy Star 2 for Genesis was 6 megs, not 5. Yeah, that was the most I had ever paid for a game also up until that time. I remember when I bought Revenge of Shinobi (Genesis), and the one store in the area that had it was selling it for $80; my dad nearly choked when I asked him for the money. :D Then about a month or two later, PS2 came out and retailed for around $87 iirc. Well, my dad got it for me, but said that from then on, he was only giving me up to $60 for games, and that the next one would have to wait a while. :p

I believe Sword of Vermillion was the game that said "5 Mega Memory" on the front (in fact, I specifically remember it), but that came out way after PS2.

Games have gotten somewhat cheaper, though, yeah. While a big price drop was expected when the medium switched from carts to predominantly CD's, it was never fully realized, as there was a simultaneous increase in the budgets of games as well as the level of marketing that goes on. The cost of the medium (carts) used to be the driving force for the price of games-- the bigger carts like Strider or FF3 or Chrono Trigger were always much more expensive than usual. Nowadays, the budget of a game is the driving force, with the bigger budget titles tending to be priced a bit higher-- or at least taking a bit longer to come down in price so devs and publishers can recoup their costs.

Pachinko

For the most part games and systems have ignored the natural inflation cycle, 50 USD seems to be about the most people will pay for a game , 60 USD if its some kind of limited editon with extra shit included.

Using the handy-dandy inflation calculator, a $50 NES game in 1988 is equivalent to $77.22 today (or at least in 2003, the most recent year available.

Anyway, yes, videogames are much less expensive than they used to be. Newly released NES games ranged from $40 to $60 in late 80's/early 90's dollars (possibly more during the "chip shortage"). Super NES games were generally between $50 and $70 in the 90s, Genesis games (on average) were generally $5-$10 cheaper. Sony's first PSone games were $59.99, and N64 cartridges ran from $50-$80, at least early in the system's lifespan. The $70 and $80 games eventually disappeared as Nintendo lowered licensee fees.

It's also important to remember that the Player's Choice/Platinum Hits/Greatest Hits line of popular games for $20 is a recent innovation. Nintendo re-released a limited number of NES games late in the system's lifespan for $30 years after they were originally released, and that was considered cheap at the time. They continued this practice with Super NES and Game Boy games, but Sony was the first to establish a wide line of relatively recently released (say that three times fast) hit games for only $20.

vireland

Paid $99.99 plus tax at TRU for Phantasy Star 4 day of release. I remember it was over a year before Beyond Oasis dropped from its initial $89.99 price.

$50 games? Bah, I'll take two.

Heh, interesting story on this one. SoA initially PASSED on publishing PS IV, saying it wasn't up to snuff. I was so shocked, I was willing to break our "CD only" rule and tried to license it from SoJ (which was completely okay since SoA had formally passed, and we already had a good relationship with them on the SEGA CD side). Buuut, when SoA found out about our interest and SoJ questioned SoA's initial judgment, they decided to teach SoJ a "lesson" and decided to do it after all, but jack up the price to an ungodly $99.95 to insure it would sell badly and justify their initial position. Unfortunately, it, uh, sold out. People were so desperate to have it that they paid $100 for it in droves. +1 SoJ.

Had we done it, the price was to be $79 (it WAS a big cart, but not $99 big).

Anyway

vireland

Paid $99.99 plus tax at TRU for Phantasy Star 4 day of release.

Virtua Racing was also $100.

But in the case of Virtua Racing, there was additional hardware in the cart that (somewhat) justified the additional cost. It wasn't just marketing rape.

Hey, Vic...you owe me a new Parasol Stars (TG)...the one you sold me on ebay a few years ago died last year :(

j/k ...but it did die. So much for solid-state HuCards.

vireland

Hey, Vic...you owe me a new Parasol Stars (TG)...the one you sold me on ebay a few years ago died last year :(

j/k ...but it did die. So much for solid-state HuCards.

Wow, a dead Hucard? Did you try taking an eraser to the connectors? I've seen them oxidize and make a cart not work or have glitchy graphics, but never seen a Hu go bad as dead. Weird.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
Here's a table that you'll hopefully find interesting. What is it? It's a list of NES/SNES games with their suggested retail prices, followed by the price the company charged for the game to distributors.
Code:
NES

Company         Game			Retail price 	Price charged to distributors
AGCI		Death Race  	       	$29.95		$16
AGCI		Chiller			$29.95		$16
AGCI		Captain Comic		$24.95		$13
Asmik		WURM			$44.95		$24
Asmik		Conquest/Crystal Palace	$19.95		$13
INTV		Monster Truck Rally	$34.95		$21.95
LJN		Karate Kid				$25.50
LJN		Back to the Future			$28
SNK		POW			$44.95		$26
SNK		Crystalis		$59.95		$36
Electro Brain	Ghoul School				$27.90

SNES

Electro Brain	Raiden					$43
Asmik		D-Force			$64.99		$41.50
This info was taken from price sheets given out at CES and such. This was back at a time when the media cost a lot, of course.

The Conquest of the Crystal Palace price was probably after a discount or two btw.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
vireland said:
Heh, interesting story on this one. SoA initially PASSED on publishing PS IV, saying it wasn't up to snuff. I was so shocked, I was willing to break our "CD only" rule and tried to license it from SoJ (which was completely okay since SoA had formally passed, and we already had a good relationship with them on the SEGA CD side). Buuut, when SoA found out about our interest and SoJ questioned SoA's initial judgment, they decided to teach SoJ a "lesson" and decided to do it after all, but jack up the price to an ungodly $99.95 to insure it would sell badly and justify their initial position. Unfortunately, it, uh, sold out. People were so desperate to have it that they paid $100 for it in droves. +1 SoJ.

I'm going to sound like an idiot, but who is the "we" in this? I have a vague inkling as to what company you were/are with (based on your nick), but I don't want to jump to conclusions. WD?

human5892

Queen of Denmark
As long as you don't mind waiting a few months after they're intially released, most games released today can be gotten for around $20-$30 brand-new. The big successful ones stay high, but they're in the minority.

It is in this fashion that I plan on buying many, many games in the post-Christmas wasteland of passed-over software.

swoon

Ronin said:
When I got Sega Channel, I never had to buy a Genesis game again. Well, unless it was an RPG.

i had to put some insane late summer evenings to beat PSIV before the end of the month on the sega channel. stupid save system.

Ranger X

Actually, games got cheaper over time as the industry gets bigger (wich is a logical thing).
This lowering was of course tempered by the inflation.
I think right now we did manage do diminish the value of games a little bit. Not by much but it's cheaper than before. Continue to buy games please.

jarrod

Banned
Nintendo Ate My Children said:
It's also important to remember that the Player's Choice/Platinum Hits/Greatest Hits line of popular games for $20 is a recent innovation. Nintendo re-released a limited number of NES games late in the system's lifespan for $30 years after they were originally released, and that was considered cheap at the time. They continued this practice with Super NES and Game Boy games, but Sony was the first to establish a wide line of relatively recently released (say that three times fast) hit games for only $20.
Just some minor corrections... the NES rereleases (Zelda 1, Metroid, etc) were $19.99 at retail while the SNES Player's Choice rereleases were $29.99 (GB was $19.99). Also, Sony's Greastest Hits lines started at $24.99 originally (on both PS1 and PS2) before moving to $19.99.

vireland said:

Anyway
Interesting... got any more stories about games WD almost brought over? Wasn't After Armageddon on the table for Sega CD release following Lunar EB?

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
vireland said:

Anyway
Vic are you serious? Jeez, Sega really was run by mokeys back in the day..attempting to sabotauge(sp?) their own company.

vireland

Vic are you serious? Jeez, Sega really was run by mokeys back in the day..attempting to sabotauge(sp?) their own company.

I believe (personally, this is by no means a proven fact) that this particular episode was one in a long string of events where SoA tried to gain position as SoJ's superior in decision-making. By "proving" SoJ was wrong on a game they would have another "see? we were right" moment. SoJ fortunately kept their heads, and the upper hand when this and other events backfired.

There are a ridiculous amount of (true) stories that will probably never see the light of day about things that went on in this era. Remember Wild Woody, the SEGACD game about the pencil? Would you believe motion-capture studio time was wasted to motion-capture...a pencil. That's right...a cylindrical, basically inflexible object.

WarPig

vireland said:
Remember Wild Woody, the SEGACD game about the pencil? Would you believe motion-capture studio time was wasted to motion-capture...a pencil. That's right...a cylindrical, basically inflexible object.

Ah, the good old days.

I wish the Naughty Dog website still had the stories about making Way of the Warrior in their apartment.

Edit: Hey, that Wayback Machine at archive.org is the shit:

"Becuase we had no blue screen, we bought a gigantic tan canvas. We called it the tan screen. We nailed the thing straight into the walls of the apartment we rented in Boston. Our landlord was pissed. We lost our security deposit.

"To get the right focal distance to film the characters, we had to put the camera in the hallway outside of our apartment. Our neighbors were always walking by looking in our door at guys in Ninja costumes dancing around. We never explained it to them. They were pissed.

"Way of the Warrior was the 3DO's first fighting game. It beat Super Street Fighter and Samurai Showdown to market. Way was among top 10 best-selling 3DO games at the time, and it ended up outselling Samurai Showdown in the States. They were pissed."

DFS.

8bit

Knows the Score
Mecha Gandhi said:
I know it was a fairly British thing, but the home computer craze back in the 80s came with alot of cheap games. I'm talking about the tape cassette games for systems like the Spectrum ZX, Commodore 64 and Amstrad CPC 464

I could walk into my local newsagent in random suburbia and pick up a new tape game for £1.99 - £2.99. I'd just buy games on the merit of the cover artwork. They were, with a few notable exceptions, rubbish.

That wasn't always the case though. Before Mastertronic, Firebird & Codemasters, the normal price for a game was £8.99. Most of the premium (Ultimate/U.S. Gold/Imagine/Ocean/etc.) stuff was that price, and I think Mel Croucher's Deus Ex Machine was a pricey £12.99.
Mastertronic et al. sold cheap knock-offs of arcade games(Carnival being the most memorable) for low prices via the newsagent channel, whereas the more expensive games were only available in John Menzies/WH Smith/Virgin/HMV etcetera.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Somewhere I had a copy of an ancient Atari 800 Ice Hockey game... not sure who the publisher was, but I -think- the price tag said $59.99. Disk game for a computer, too.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
WarPig said:
"Becuase we had no blue screen, we bought a gigantic tan canvas. We called it the tan screen. We nailed the thing straight into the walls of the apartment we rented in Boston. Our landlord was pissed. We lost our security deposit.

"To get the right focal distance to film the characters, we had to put the camera in the hallway outside of our apartment. Our neighbors were always walking by looking in our door at guys in Ninja costumes dancing around. We never explained it to them. They were pissed.

"Way of the Warrior was the 3DO's first fighting game. It beat Super Street Fighter and Samurai Showdown to market. Way was among top 10 best-selling 3DO games at the time, and it ended up outselling Samurai Showdown in the States. They were pissed."
http://web.archive.org/web/19990220205313/www.naughtydog.com/wotw/index.htm

Nice Characters:
http://web.archive.org/web/19990428183300/www.naughtydog.com/wotw/characters.htm

OmniGamer

WarPig said:
Ah, the good old days.

I wish the Naughty Dog website still had the stories about making Way of the Warrior in their apartment.

Edit: Hey, that Wayback Machine at archive.org is the shit:

DFS.

Heh, I remember reading about that in an issue of GameFan back in the day.

Top Bottom