• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hawken |OT| Why would you put legs on a tank?

antitrop

This game is absolutely a PC graphical showcase right now.

If you don't have the hardware specs to play this maxed out check out the GAF High-res PC screenshots thread, there is some INSANE artwork and detail in this game.

hawkengame-win32-shiplaolb.png

It's... beautiful.

rac

Banned
Does Hawken run on Unreal Engine 3?

Pretty sure it does.

This game is absolutely a PC graphical showcase right now.

If you don't have the hardware specs to play this maxed out check out the GAF High-res PC screenshots thread, there is some INSANE artwork and detail in this game.

It's... beautiful.

What map is that? I haven't seen it yet.

"Guys stop arguing about this because I'm right -> stop shitting up the Hawken thread, plz talk about Hawken -> also let me get in the last word here -> there's no point in arguing this because I'm right."
Lose argument, abandon thread. Classic maneuver.
Seriously, guys? I said I'm not continuing the argument. I don't think you get to say I "lost it" until you hear what I actually have to say in response, which you're not going to get, because I'm sick and tired of this F2P whining nonsense.

It was a dead horse already, now it's more like a stinking mound of deformed former horse-flesh. I regret ever bothering to respond in the first place. It was clearly a mistake to do so.

Complain about the prices in Hawken if you must (hell, I'd agree with you). But don't bring LoL or Planetside 2 or F2P games in general into it.

How many maps are in the beta right now? I've only played in three.
I believe there's currently four maps.

metalshade

Ah, so this is where I can safely start reading again I hope?
Hawken discussions here...everything not related to gameplay or FAQ's...elsewhere.
Now that's dealt with, now you guys have been playing a while, have you noticed any particular trend in tactics or certain mechs/weapons dominating, or is everything pretty well balanced?

Kokonoe

Banned
Disabling the bloom and stuff really helps out and makes shots easier. I suppose I should level up the beginner bot instead of the other two?

Also: My 360 controller worked right off the bat, so this game does auto support controllers, 360 at least.

And is there any way to use antialiasing? Thanks.

Now that's dealt with, now you guys have been playing a while, have you noticed any particular trend in tactics or certain mechs/weapons dominating, or is everything pretty well balanced?
Hard to say at this point, because the majority of players are still using the recruit or vanguard mechs.

I get the impression that folks are going to stick with the Assault chassis for some time to come, simply because it's the jack-of-all-trades and has no glaring weaknesses.

And is there any way to use antialiasing? Thanks.
If you have Nvidia Inspector, you can use the Mass Effect bits and activate anti-aliasing that way.

Izayoi

Banned
Seriously though, graphics.

If you have a machine that can handle it, I would definitely recommend setting PhysX to at least 2 (if not 3). It looks fantastic in motion, probably some of the best PhysX utilization that I've seen so far in a game.

Also, Assault is definitely the most powerful mech in the game right now. I can say that for sure after spending some more time with most of them. It cleans up in Deathmatch/TDM, and is great for assaults on Siege. It's one weakness seems to be in holding choke points, the Sharpshooter and C-class mechs are stronger in that area.

I do have a soft spot for the Berserker, though. It's great, but I think it's just a little too flimsy to stay competitive with some of the heavier mechs.

For some reason, setting the PhysX level to 3 on my machine just causes the game to crash when it loads into a match. Something to do with APEX_BasicIOSCHECKED_x86.dll (from the crash info). Google search yields nothing. It's not hardware as I have two GTX 670s. I already deleted the file (and everything else with the prefix "APEX") and repaired the installation, still nothing.

I'm kind of lost here.

Maybe this is why level 3 is disabled by default?

Vanguard Cupcaking the heeeeeeeeeell outta Freds. Can't wait for the Alpha, Closed, and Fight the Dev bonus cosmetic stuff.

This game is amazing.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
The light mech is good for multi-story city levels. Once you get the feel for dodging/boosting an effective strategy is to get as much hits in as you can, when the enemies close in on you just drop down and boost through some passageways. Most of the time they can't give chase (dunno if it's just because they're new or the heavier mechs really can't keep up) then you repair and go for it again. Definitely my style. This doesn't work as well on flat maps like the desert. The light mech also seems to pack a lot of fire power. You can go toe to toe with the other weight classes, just gotta watch your health since it has the least.

Medium mech is all around good. Great for any situation really. Not much else to say.

The heavy mech is the worst so far. I've used it the least though. And to be fair no one seems to know how to use it right. You're probably supposed to hang back and rain missiles on the opposing team but it's been easy for me to get in close to anyone using it.

I don't know about the mechs you can buy. I don't think I've seen any? Stick together in team modes. It's easier to kill enemies and you can watch each others back when you need to repair.

I'm really enjoying it. Mainly it's the boost mechanic. It facilitates that thrilling moment I like in these types of multiplayer games where everyone's chasing me and I manage to get away by a hair. Or hunting someone else, you can't escape!

superbank

Elaborate please
You have to play a lot to earn enough credits to unlock anything. Cosmetic changes cannot be unlocked through play, only cash. But I've never played a F2P game till Hawken so take it with a grain of salt? It's business as usual apparently. Right now you can play a mech from each class but after the 21st only the medium class is free. It's worth trying out I think.

I would've liked it if it was a $30 game on PSN and from there I could unlock all content through leveling. That's what I was hoping for when they announced it but I guess their console plan didn't go well.

Darkkn

I have the game set on 'ultra' and i don't get those physx particles :< Advanced options panel does not show anything for me.

TheMink

You have to play a lot to earn enough credits to unlock anything. Cosmetic changes cannot be unlocked through play, only cash. But I've never played a F2P game till Hawken so take it with a grain of salt? It's business as usual apparently. Right now you can play a mech from each class but after the 21st only the medium class is free. It's worth trying out I think.

I would've liked it if it was a $30 game on PSN and from there I could unlock all content through leveling. That's what I was hoping for when they announced it but I guess their console plan didn't go well.

:/ yeah thats a bummer

So a console version was planned? But not anymore?

Few pages back man, we are NOT going down that road again. PLEASE NO.

Haha sorry >.<

superbank

:/ yeah thats a bummer

So a console version was planned? But not anymore?
When it was announced they said PC/360/PS3 I believe and in interviews they said they were in talks with publishers. Pretty sure it's PC F2P only now but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Dreavus

I need a new PC before I can get into this. I actually got a spot in the tail end of the closed beta, but the reqs shit all over my comp. Played a couple rounds but it's not so much fun when your fps is crap. :(

Definitely one of the first to fire up with a new rig (along with Mechwarrior online)

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
LOL that image makes it sound like I'm worth a damn at this game
I'm not :(
Anyway, downloading now.
I'm running an OCed 670@1300 mhz ( which should perform on par or above a stock 680 ) and a 2600k @4.5 ghz, using all settings max and physX at 1920x1080 I get an average of 60 fps with dips when action gets hectic onscreen.
Are you using any special cooling for that setup?

I was able to map buttons and sticks on my wired 360 controller, and it worked fine, even analog control of movement direction and speed. These were my bindings, by the way.

RT: Primary weapon
RB: Special weapon
RS: Weapon action (Middle mouse)
LB: Jump
LT: Boost
Y: Repair
X: Ability
A: Support item
B: Offense item

Covers everything with buttons to spare.
Cool! I'll give this a try once I've finished downloading.

From my experience in the Alpha and closed Beta, the game is at its most fun when playing together as a team, moving in groups and looking out for each other. I remember the medium class mechs were the most fun for me as snipers in missile assault, but they may have re-balanced everything since the Alpha.

Either way, I'll be adding myself to the spreadsheet, I go by the name of RadioAllergy.
iAITRmltkruIS.PNG

jon_dojah

Banned
I used nViidia 3D Vision with a compatible monitor and did not encounter any problems. Fantastic depth, the only thing that really needs to be fixed is the central UI depth (the reticle in particular). I did just fine with it on, but I think I'll be playing without 3D until they properly sink the reticle in depth, causes kind of a disconnect otherwise.

My dlp tv is officially supported by nvidia 3d vision. The cropping is a known issue on dlp tv's but nothing i think that was ever fixed completely from browsing around the nvidia support forums. Makes me want get a monitor for that reason along with the higher framerate at 1080p. I think Hawken would be awesome in 3D Surround 5760x1080 also.

Brannon

Sound seems... off somehow. I have everything updated in terms of drivers, but everything sounds weak and there random static every now and then. None of my other games have a problem with sound, so I'm going to have to dig deeper.

I still have horrible performance. I've set everything to low and still I get major framerate dips in chaotic situations.

My specs aren't exactly top of the line but I'd imagine that a Phenom 955 and HD5850 should be enough to run the game at a stable framerate.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
game seems much more balanced than it was in the alpha and closed beta, and matchmaking looks like it's improved as well.
however my performance so far is worse, and I'm experiencing some graphical bugs in the menus, which I hadn't before.
Posted about it in the Hawken forums, maybe I need to update drivers..

Boogdud

Does Hawken run on Unreal Engine 3?

Yes, and that's the one thing I fear in the game. It looks great, but the UE3 engine is so susceptible to hacks and cheats it's not even funny. I can't count the number of multiplayer games that have been ruined that run on the UE3 engine.

deleted

What an amazing game! I like the heavy but highly flexible feeling that the mechs offer.
Feels a little bit too grindy atm though. There are so many things to unlock and it takes as long as in PS2 to get things going. But its nice to have other things you get by leveling up.

This will probably be the first non Valve F2P title where I will drop some chash.

Game plays really well so far, only had 1 game mind.

The F2P model looks disturbing though, it looks like Pay to win, I just hope things aren't priced too highly to prevent non-paying customers from falling too far behind.

Tokubetsu

"Guys stop arguing about this because I'm right -> stop shitting up the Hawken thread, plz talk about Hawken -> also let me get in the last word here -> there's no point in arguing this because I'm right."

---

On topic: Anyone from the Hawken closed beta, do you find that the game runs better for you now in the open beta or is it about the same? I was having some issues getting a stable framerate in the closed beta.

Been around since Alpha 2 and yea, the game performs a LOT better now. Used to be that one green tinted city map would KILL your frame rate by at least half if you looked into the middle of it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I've played in the betas for a while and it's pretty fun. I have too much time on my plate to pick up another F2P grindfest though.

Scout + Sabot 4 lyfe.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Are you using any special cooling for that setup?

Noctua DH-14 for the cpu and just the stock gigabyte fan ( which incidentally, iirc, has the best cooling of the usual 670s ) though depending on the game and how much it stresses the gpu it'll downthrottle a bit.

is there a command to display fps in game?
I want to get a better look at whats causing some of my issues.

What kind of issues are you having?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Safe bet/guess would be stuff like Depth of Field.

thanks, that makes sense. still, I'd appreciate an in game fps counter.
Also, are there default taunts for team DM?
I'm talking about chat between team mates, like Z is request assistance. I keep hearing others say "enemy spotted" or "stick to the group if you want to live" etc. how do I use those?

What kind of issues are you having?
Besides the menu glitches many are experiencing, and are reported in the forums, I just feel like I'm getting worse performance all around than I was in the alpha and closed beta. I'll have to look into it further when I have more time.

Tokubetsu

thanks, that makes sense. still, I'd appreciate an in game fps counter.
Also, are there default taunts for team DM?
I'm talking about chat between team mates, like Z is request assistance. I keep hearing others say "enemy spotted" or "stick to the group if you want to live" etc. how do I use those?

"Q" is the default spot button. Works differently than it does in Battlefield 3 though. This one doesn't highlight the enemy, it sort of just pings the map and your HUD (and your teammates) in the direction you were looking at when you hit it.

Added myself to the list. I don't know how much I will be playing in the near future though.

Does anyone have some nice tweaks to improve performance? Ingame options seem to be slashed.

Tokubetsu

Added myself to the list. I don't know how much I will be playing in the near future though.

Does anyone have some nice tweaks to improve performance? Ingame options seem to be slashed.

Supposedly advanced options are coming back in the first patch. For now I would crank texture quality up and drop graphics quality to medium if you're having a lot of issues.

mug

I'm really really liking this game it's a blast to play. However the f2p model needs work. You need to invest a LOT of time just to get a single upgrade that helps very little. They need to look at tribes ascend for example.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
"Q" is the default spot button. Works differently than it does in Battlefield 3 though. This one doesn't highlight the enemy, it sort of just pings the map and your HUD (and your teammates) in the direction you were looking at when you hit it.

Yeah, I know about Q and use it all the time. Didn't know it says "enemy spotted" on the radio every time I use it though..

Top Bottom