• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO's Veep - Season one - created by Armando Iannuci, starring Julia Louis Dreyfus

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGS

Banned
The show was funny, but very sitcomy.

Also, between this & Girls, I can only take so much self-deprecating humor. She's coming off as way too hopeless/useless. Hopefully this was just a very bad day.

The show was funny, but very sitcomy.

Also, between this & Girls, I can only take so much self-deprecating humor. She's coming off as way too hopeless/useless. Hopefully this was just a very bad day.

She's a fairly competent person by the usual Iannucci politician yardstick. I'm going to take a wild guess and say she'll get more blinkered and petulant as the series goes on. Should be grand.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
needs someone like this eventually:
intheloop1.jpg

Have the VP visit England or something.

Guest spot featuring Tucker would be GODLY. His interactions with American pols were the funniest bits of In the Loop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il3ZIoEHBBs&feature=player_detailpage#t=350s

Just read through the thread. There's such a marked difference in reactions from Thick of It fans!

Being one myself I literally didn't notice the swearing, I think it's way lighter on that than the Thick of It. Also the characters seemed pretty competent too in comparison.

JGS

Banned
She's a fairly competent person by the usual Iannucci politician yardstick. I'm going to take a wild guess and say she'll get more blinkered and petulant as the series goes on. Should be grand.
True, plus a large part of it is the incompetence of her staff. Still, it's hard for me to see how she actually became the VP except in a Palin sort of way- Not calling her Palin, but picked to help elect the president more than for skills.

I love The Thick Of It and thought this was about as faithful a translation as you could get. I enjoyed it. I'm sure it'll only get better too.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Dreyfus was good, but the rest of the cast is terrible. Very few laughs if any to be found. It unfortunately rolls off as the second rate Thick of It clone I feared it would try to be. Worse than that however is the faster pace and larger cast giving little room for the tighter feeling of Nicola's gallery of losers (Olly, Glen, Terri) and the incisive Tucker blowing in like a storm. Just left with big rooms of people saying rhubarb instead of the vastly different character types to be found in TToI. Everyone in this fits the same 'bumbling yet occasionally sharp' mould too efficiently so it comes close to just the same character x10 but different faces.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I'm sure they're all good actors, but thus far the characters theyve all been given to play are pretty much the exact same thing with no defining differences other than maybe "The Shit" being the competent one.

Peru

Disagree. Felt they established a varied crew of characters VERY well in that half hour. Some people hoped for a Malcolm -- I feared they'd make an american version of him and luckily they didn't. Instead I felt we got some of the unique not-like-the-british-equivalents types we saw in the Washington In The Loop Scenes, as well as - of course - some of the same general types of muppets, but that's Iannuci anyway.

But like the main players, Chlumsky as chief of staff, the shit, right hand guy, smarmy president's dude, they're not just copies of Thick of It types at all. And they didn't just throw off ToI lines in an American accent. Lots of great lines they had, though.

guise

Really solid start - fast-paced, lot's of quick jabs and subtle mannerisms. Glad they didn't go for an american Tucker.

"Every minute we delay 'retard' goes up a font size"

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
As a huge Iannucci fan, I felt like it was well written, sharp and effectively produced. But I never laughed. I will keep faith with it, however.

Disappointed.

I didn't laugh once. I chuckled at the retard quip but that was it.

The rest of it felt like a terrible knock off of The Thick of It. I'll stick with it beyond the pilot but it's a terrible start.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Just saw the entire episode. They need to replace the White House guy that looks like Lurch - he's annoying and not in a good way. Love JLD's clothes - she looks absolutely fabulous. There were some good bits, but the show still has a ways to go before it hits its stride.

scosher

I thought it was funny, but I will admit, it was not the type of humor I was expecting. Considering HBO and the subject matter, I thought it would be more political satire. Instead, it felt more like an over-the-top sitcom to me, like a modern day Spin City.

Still good though, and I liked the characters.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Good pilot.

Cast is great, with Chlumsky <3 and Tony Hale being standouts for me. (aside from JLD, who was also pretty darn good)

Writing is sharp and funny...not much else to say, really. I liked it more than I thought I might.

Arment

I was surprised how much they cursed. But then I remembered it was HBO. I actually didn't mind it either. It made everything seem more normal. I just imagine Joe Biden yelling 'fuck' this and 'fuck' that now.

I like Tony Hale's character. There were a few laugh out loud moments. It's a solid show - I just hope it gets a little funnier.

Talka

I enjoyed it, but it didn't really build to anything. The best episodes of The Thick of It build on a ridiculous premise and culminate in something completely absurd. This episode... nothing really happened. It was like a collection of ~4 minute unrelated bits.

I'll keep watching, but really I just want the next season of The Thick of It.

I want the prior seasons of Thick of It. I can't find it anywhere and I was a huge fan of In the Loop (it's probably my favorite comedy of the last decade, or one of them at least)

Veep's not bad. That dude who looks like Louis CK is pretty funny ("hey, My Left Foot" hahaha). And Elaine is rocking the lead.

That was pretty good. I'll tune in next week.

I'm surprised that Dreyfus is like 50 or something, cause she's fucking hot. Jeez. She can filibuster me any day.

xbhaskarx

I enjoyed it, but it didn't really build to anything. The best episodes of The Thick of It build on a ridiculous premise and culminate in something completely absurd. This episode... nothing really happened. It was like a collection of ~4 minute unrelated bits.

I'll keep watching, but really I just want the next season of The Thick of It.

I have never seen this other show, but based on that description I hope Veep does not try to emulate it.

Peru

Opposite for me.

And luckily, opening numbers are good:

HBO’s Sunday night ratings are in: Julia Louis-Dreyfus’ new comedy series Veep opened to fair 1.7 million viewers for the night (when combining its two airings of 1.4 million viewers and 296,000 viewers).

Veep, which also garnered strong reviews from critics, was up 34 percent in comparison to the Eastbound and Down‘s average audience and is firmly a bigger start than last week’s other new acclaimed HBO comedy Girls.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I really enjoyed that. I thought JLD was great... and I liked the rest of the cast as well.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
So this show has similar undertones as In the Loop???

I'll have to pick this up when it comes out.

Still want to see The Thick of It. Just seeing Clips of Tucker make me laugh :lol

Bread

Banned
I was channel surfing last night and decided to watch this, and I was surprised at how funny it was. I'm a huge fan of Matt Walsh and he did not disappoint. Hale and Dreyfus had hilarious chemistry when he kept calling out people who were walking up to her, "I'm not a sniper". So many funny lines just from the first ep, I'm definitely going to keep up with this.

Burger

I enjoyed it. After starting to rewatch Seinfeld from the start thanks to Sky UK and my DVR I have a new found love for Dreyfus.

"Go home, feed your dog, shoot your dog, bury your dog, and come back in."

Wubby

I liked it. It is a bit sitcomy / Spin City in the White House though. But for what it is it's enjoyable. More entertaining than Girls for me.

dyls

Wasn't as good or funny as I was hoping for, but it did a good job of introducing the characters which is honestly more important in a pilot. The only line that had me really laughing was

“What the fuck, Amy? I am putting out two fires in there and I turn around to find out that you have set fire to the fucking fire truck?!”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom