• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO's Veep - Season one - created by Armando Iannuci, starring Julia Louis Dreyfus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Just watched the first two episodes, my expectations were blown away. The cast is great and the writing is consistently funny and sharp. It's very promising, especially for a show that's only one episode past it's pilot.

Would definitely tune in tonight, but 10PM is reserved for Mad Men.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Just watched the first two episodes, my expectations were blown away. The cast is great and the writing is consistently funny and sharp. It's very promising, especially for a show that's only one episode past it's pilot.

Would definitely tune in tonight, but 10PM is reserved for Mad Men.

Out of interest have you seen any of Iannucci's other productions?

Dachande

They're back filming around the block from my office today.

46afac7bc136aa943b4c421b322c417eb9049615_wmeg.jpg

Woah, what? Are they still filming S1 or have they started S2 already? I thought they'd wrapped up filming the first series months ago...

newjeruse

I've never seen an HBO show get so pre-prepped for syndication. Not only does this show fade to black for commercial breaks which don't exist, it has also double-boxed the credits in every episode so far. So very un-HBO like. Awesome show though.

Haven't seen the new one yet but this show rules so far. If a show makes me actually laugh out loud then it's a good show in my book

How is HBO with streaming videos? I was able to buy a season pass for Mad Men and watch it right now on itunes (and it's available on Amazon video), but it doesn't look like this show is. Do they wait a year or so?

The first two eps were quite good, I haven't watched the third yet.

That said, based on The Thick of It/In The Loop, I was expecting brilliance.

kingocfs

"Are we really going to let the guy with the police sketch face of a rapist tell us what to do?"

This show is amazing.

Sloane

Banned
What does that have to do with this show?
Nothing, but I've read this a few times over the last weeks. Guess it's because she's vice president and looks a bit like her or whatever. Funny show though. Not a big fan of the pilot but episodes 2 & 3 were great.

xbhaskarx

This was far batter than the first two episodes, but that is a pretty low bar to clear so maybe I'm damning with faint praise...

Vyer

Another good episode. The whole daughter thing needed a little more focus though. Jonas creep factor continues to get dialed up.

I needa longer 'improv the Veep visitor line' sequence though.

The first two eps were quite good, I haven't watched the third yet.

That said, based on The Thick of It/In The Loop, I was expecting brilliance.

I think it was the best episode yet, which is a good indication of its growth. It certainly deserves the second season renewal. But I agree, Veep isn't on the The Thick of It/In The Loop tier of brilliance.

Zebra

Wow. I was sort of lukewarm towards the first two episodes, but this latest one was absolutely perfect. I hope future episodes stay up at this level.

Meier

Haven't seen last night's yet but I finally caught the first two this weekend since the original ep aired again on Saturday and it was absolutely fucking BRILLIANT. I have no clue how any of you did not like it frankly.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I feel like this show is trying to hard to be perfect. I don't know how else to describe how I feel about it.

scosher

Just saw the 3rd episode, thought it was great.

"Hey, this rapist's face gets 8's...consensually I might add."

Also had to look up the actress playing the VP's daughter, and was surprised to find out it's:

Kiefer Sutherland's daughter. That Hollywood nepotism:

bv1sxucyf3351vx3.jpg

And on the topic of nepotism and flaws with the show, where's the diversity? The only black character is a sassy receptionist! Armando IaRACIST more like!

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
three for three on underwhelming me. The only consistently funny character in the show is the secretary and mostly because she's used sparingly.

This ep delivered the perfect example of whats wrong with the show's cast and writing for them: when Catherine, the daughter, suddenly reels off the "police sketch of a rapist" line after being a demure and mousey character the whole episode -- beyond maybe Gary as the eternal fall guy character,vthey are all essentially the same character vying for different sweary/sassy lines. I've seen through the curtain and can't go back.

Can't wait for the next season of Thick of It to wash this out of my eyes.

satriales

I've really liked all three episodes so far. Obviously it's not as good as The Thick Of It, but it's good enough to keep me happy until the next series of TTOI.

Well, I like to think I have high standards. But I love The Thick of It/In The Loop and Seinfeld so this should have been the perfect combo for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom