• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

He told a war crimes court he was innocent, then swigged a vial of ‘poison’

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Video at link.

Shortly after hearing his fate, former Bosnian Croat military chief Slobodan Praljak shouted “I am not a war criminal!” and lifted a vial of liquid to his lips.

He tilted his head back and swallowed.

A short time later, he told the confused court — and the judge who had affirmed his 20-year sentence for murdering Muslims and other war crimes — “I just drank poison.”

His death was reported by Croatian state TV later on Wednesday.

It was a defiant final act for the 72-year-old accused of ethnic cleansing two decades ago in a failed attempt to create a Bosnian Croat ministate, according to the Associated Press.

The appeal of Praljak was one of the final matters for the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia. Praljak was accused of using violence and murder to drive out Muslims.

Praljak “facilitated the murder of Muslims who did not belong to any armed force, and the destruction of property in Stupni Do in October 1993,” according to the United Nations.

He was indicted in March 2004 and pleaded not guilty a month later. But on May 29, 2013, he was found guilty of all charges.

The appeal was the only thing standing between Praljak and possibly spending the rest of his life in prison. The tribunal is expected to conclude next month.

Source

Like.... wtf...I don't understand why he just went out like that? The look on everyone's face was just like "are you fucking kidding me?"

TransTrender

Gold Member
I saw a lot of articles today that used 'poison' and 'dead.'
Why, are they not sure he consumed a toxic substance and later died?
Did he actually consume 'swag' and 'vaped to a different dimension'?
Can someone with an editorial background comment on this?

BibiMaghoo

I know little about his crimes and it's likely he was a nasty piece of work, but I can respect the act. It was a powerful statement of defiance paid for with the highest currency. Some will call it cowardice and others noble. Perhaps both even. Regardless he is now dead and no further justice will be found for his crimes.

wachie

I know little about his crimes and it's likely he was a nasty piece of work, but I can respect the act. It was a powerful statement of defiance paid for with the highest currency. Some will call it cowardice and others noble. Perhaps both even. Regardless he is now dead and no further justice will be found for his crimes.
Noble?

By fucked up people, yes.

BibiMaghoo

Noble?

By fucked up people, yes.

Certainly. His life was effectively over, and so he ended it on his own terms. There is nobility in that. It isn't fucked up to recognise it, nor is it saying he was a noble person at all, simply a comment on the act itself.

I mean seriously I guess he knew he'd get the shit beat out of him in prison so he just chose the easy way.

The Yugoslavia tribunal has its own special prison wing with pretty good conditions. Still, he wanted to make a dramatic final scene, he was a theater and TV director before the whole civil war thing.

Kind of ironic that the country where we're proud of our euthanasia laws such a big fuss is made about this.

llien

Which events was he convicted for, is it really Bosnia or rather cleansing in serb populated "(marked blue)

Z3BV2Vw.jpg

-Minsc-

The way he did it, no.

He did gruesome shit, but going out like that, with full composure and conviction, believing he did the right thing in life, is in a way respectful.

It's also understandable why people consider it cowardly. There are those who wanted to see him broken for the things they did. The way he went out denied them of that. As contradicting as it may be, I can see myself agreeing with both sides.

Either way, the fellow has departed and is now a note in history.

aaronsan

Banned
Certainly. His life was effectively over, and so he ended it on his own terms. There is nobility in that. It isn't fucked up to recognise it, nor is it saying he was a noble person at all, simply a comment on the act itself.

The act of...escaping justice like a whiny child is noble? Just retract, man. You tried to be profound and completely failed.

The act of...escaping justice like a whiny child is noble? Just retract, man. You tried to be profound and completely failed.

Swallowing poison without batting an eye and firmly telling the judges that you stay by what you belief - that's the opposite of being a 'whiny child'.

Again, that's not to forgive his crimes in anyway.

Some pussy ass shit.

Like he's saying look I'm so innocent that I've become distraught enough to kill myself.

Does he really think people in the court will have sympathy for him for doing that?

Whats to respect? He killed himself to escape punishment, it wasn't for some greater good. No one respects murder suicides, why is this any different?

Only proves he was a monster through and through.

And we watch 'monsters' in awe all the time in movies and games. This guy behaved like a real-life version of such a fictional villain. He's evil, but that doesn't mean he can't appear noble, too. I find it rather silly to forcedly call him a coward just because he's a bad guy.

BibiMaghoo

Whats to respect? He killed himself to escape punishment, it wasn't for some greater good. No one respects murder suicides, why is this any different?

He handed himself in 13 years ago. Does it not strike you as incredibly likely he would have done such a thing long ago if it's purpose was to escape punishment? It seems likely that from his perspective it was indeed for a greater good as you put it. Murder suicides don't wait over a decade to do it. It is quite obviously different in just about every way possible.

The way he did it, no.

He did gruesome shit, but going out like that, with full composure and conviction, believing he did the right thing in life, is in a way respectful.

wtf is wrong with you people. you guys are trying a little too hard to make this guy not seem like a living dumpster fire. This dude committed genocide, there is nothing noble about him or what he did at all. Good riddance.

timewyrm

wtf is wrong with you people. you guys are trying a little too hard to make this guy not seem like a living dumpster fire. This dude committed genocide, there is nothing noble about him or what he did at all. Good riddance.

Next thing you know people will claim Hitler was noble and/or admirable for committing suicide.

Z..

I completely agree... But his final actions are undeniably admirable. Such resolve would always be, regardless of circumstances. Nothing noble or honourable about it considering the circumstances, though.

No. I root for them to die.
Not mutually exclusive, it is absolutely possible to be in awe of someone while absolutely despising them.

Not mutually exclusive, it is absolutely possible to be in awe of someone while absolutely despising them.

Yep, that's what some cannot (or don't want to) understand. We watch Hannibal Lecter in awe as he plays his victims like a fiddle, yet we find him disgusting at the same time. If you want to call any evil a coward, that's one thing. I choose to differentiate.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Yep, that's what some cannot (or don't want to) understand. We watch Hannibal Lecter in awe as he plays his victims like a fiddle, yet we find him disgusting at the same time. If you want to call any evil a coward, that's one thing. I choose to differentiate.
Drinking poison instead of taking responsibility for your actions is the definition of being a coward.

shauntu

Not any more admirable than someone blowing themselves up while killing innocents. Actually the word I would seek more would be cowardly.

Z..

Not any more admirable than someone blowing themselves up while killing innocents. Actually the word I would seek more would be cowardly.

Significantly more admirable, sorry. I do not condone any of the man's actions throughout his life or in any way mean to glorify him, but to suggest there is nothing admirable in all of this despite the fact that he surrendered himself in 2004 is simple lack of perspective. You need to stop simplifying and decontextualizing everything.

i-Lo

Drinking poison instead of taking responsibility for your actions is the definition of being a coward.

This.

Off topic: I understand that people can have complex thought about this topic. Hell I along with everyone who knows anything about the abhorrent plight called Nazi and Nazism (and aren't neo nazi or racists) hate them and all they stood but I have always found their Hugo Boss military attires to be astounding. Heck they inspired generations of game and movie designers who have constantly taken inspiration from those designs.

So yea, life's complicated but when it comes to the person or ideology, not so much for me. Most of these war criminals want to go out on their own terms and want to have the last say. Doesn't make them right but overall, we can't change the outcome and it's one less murderous SOB off this planet albeit without having served his deserved sentence.

test_account

XP-39C²
I completely agree... But his final actions are undeniably admirable. Such resolve would always be, regardless of circumstances. Nothing noble or honourable about it considering the circumstances, though.
I've never heard people call such act for noble or admirable. It would be like saying that Hitler did a noble act by killing himself instead of getting captured. Or that terrorist and massmurder Anders Bering Breivik was noble because he turned himself in after killing 77 people in cold blood and wounded many people as well. I dont want to be rude, but i cant believe that people try to put a postive spin on something connected to an act like this in either way. Noble and admirable are a positively charged words.

BibiMaghoo

I've never heard people call such act for noble or admirable. It would be like saying that Hitler did a noble act by killing himself instead of getting captured. Or that terrorist and massmurder Anders Bering Breivik was noble because he turned himself in after killing 77 people in cold blood and wounded many people as well. I dont want to be rude, but i cant believe that people try to put a postive spin on something connected to an act like this in either way. Noble and admirable are a positively charged words.

Suicide as redemption for dishonour has existed for many centuries in many cultures. The concept of ending your life for a moral position is regarded as a virtuous act. The general concept being that a person has effectively increased their own punishment in exchange for a statement of contrition or defiance, enhancing the statement. In this case his act of defiance was enhanced by taking his life in this manner.

There are large contextual differences between Hitler, Breivik and Praljak that make any comparison to their reasons fairly redundant, but I would say that Hitler clearly did so to escape capture and justice, which isn't the case here or for Breivik who didn't kill himself.

As I said, I can respect the act, simply because of it's cost which was unnecessary. I fully understand people calling it cowardly, and said it would be the case in my original post.

Z..

That's all you've been doing the whole thread.

Not at all. You're making a leap of judgement by assuming that something being admirable must always be a positive, when that is not the case at all. One need only look at Van Manstein's strategic wit, which remains incontestable despite the fact that he was working for evil. No room for nuance in that head of yours or what?

Admirable is not necessarily a positive word. You're making a wrongful assumption there. Stop and consider this for a minute... you think any of Hitler's enemies on the field was ever foolish enough to not respect and admire the man? That'd be a sure fire way of getting yourself killed.
There's no nobility involved in anything here and I'm not trying to put any kind of positive spin on anything, the man was despicable, as were his actions. I wholly respect his resolve though, regardless of how questionable his motivations might've been.

Your analogies are fallacious, by the way.

Here's a fantastic and very well known example of just how wrong you both are regarding the usage of positively charged words in such contexts.

Your behaviour perfectly illustrates how NeoGaf (and now Era) have come to be known as the places where context comes to die. Knee jerk decontextualization and demonizing are very much part of the problem, not the solution.

Some say what he did was cowardly (lacking courage), but I personally believe it was the exact opposite. Courage isn’t virtuous, but rather it’s the fuel needed to be virtuous. The former doesn’t imply the latter.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Not at all. You're making a leap of judgement by assuming that something being admirable must always be a positive, when that is not the case at all.

ad·mi·ra·ble
ˈadm(ə)rəb(ə)l/Submit
adjective
arousing or deserving respect and approval.

I'm merely using the word correctly.

The problem is that some people refuse to apply any positive wording towards an otherwise bad person. Hitler was bad so he was bad at math, too, even when he got full scores on his math tests (made-up example). That's what's happening in this thread.

Nobody admires this guy's gruesome acts. He's a piece of shit. BUT staying true to your own (twisted) resolve to the very end, defying the judges confidently, the swallowing poison with a blip of fear - I cannot call this 'cowardly'. I'd be way too scared to do that and instead sit in prison for the rest of my life - like a coward.

nkarafo

the swallowing poison with a blip of fear - I cannot call this 'cowardly'. I'd be way too scared to do that and instead sit in prison for the rest of my life - like a coward.
This. Committing suicide takes a lot of courage. Most people here claiming he was a coward would not have the guts to do it.

test_account

XP-39C²
Suicide as redemption for dishonour has existed for many centuries in many cultures. The concept of ending your life for a moral position is regarded as a virtuous act. The general concept being that a person has effectively increased their own punishment in exchange for a statement of contrition or defiance, enhancing the statement. In this case his act of defiance was enhanced by taking his life in this manner.

There are large contextual differences between Hitler, Breivik and Praljak that make any comparison to their reasons fairly redundant, but I would say that Hitler clearly did so to escape capture and justice, which isn't the case here or for Breivik who didn't kill himself.

As I said, I can respect the act, simply because of it's cost which was unnecessary. I fully understand people calling it cowardly, and said it would be the case in my original post.
Yeah, but thats not the case with Praljak. He didnt feel that he dishonored anyone and wanted to kill himself because of that. If that was the case, why didnt he do this earlier? The war ended in the 90s.

Praljak took the poison after he got his sentence. He probably believed that killing muslims was the right thing to do, just like Hitler thought killing the jews was the right thing to do. Therefor, in his mind, he didnt consider himself as a war criminal. I dont think the comparisons are redundant at all.

I just dont think theres anything noble about killing one self over something like this, especially when he said that he didnt do anything wrong. If the guy had shown big remorse, then killed himself to take responsibility, then i would have understood the viewpoint better. But i dont feel that a guy who claims innocense after what he did deserves any form of credit for killing himself.

Why mention this in the first place by the way? To me, this comes off as "well, he did a lot of horrible things, but at least he went out with his chin up". Not sure if that is the intention, but this is what rubs me the wrong way.

(Maybe a bit off-topic, but the reason why Breivik didnt kill himself is because he wanted to be captured. He then wanted his trial to be broadcasted, and he wanted to stand there in his uniform, which he was denied. He had this plan, that he first started killing people, making it a catalyst, to start a war against muslims etc. through Europe, and he wanted to use his broadcasted trial as his podium/channel to reach out to people. I dont find anything noble about him turning himself in, because he didnt do this because of remorse or anything like that).

Admirable is not necessarily a positive word. You're making a wrongful assumption there. Stop and consider this for a minute... you think any of Hitler's enemies on the field was ever foolish enough to not respect and admire the man? That'd be a sure fire way of getting yourself killed.
There's no nobility involved in anything here and I'm not trying to put any kind of positive spin on anything, the man was despicable, as were his actions. I wholly respect his resolve though, regardless of how questionable his motivations might've been.

Your analogies are fallacious, by the way.

Here's a fantastic and very well known example of just how wrong you both are regarding the usage of positively charged words in such contexts.

Your behaviour perfectly illustrates how NeoGaf (and now Era) have come to be known as the places where context comes to die. Knee jerk decontextualization and demonizing are very much part of the problem, not the solution.
No no, you're misunderstanding what i'm saying. This isnt about some knee jerk reaction or anything like that, so you're actually the one making the wrongful assumption here. Sorry if i wasnt clear enough, maybe i could be more clear on this, but i know that you're not talking about the man's actions regarding his killing. I dont think you agree or put any positive spin on these actions, of course not. This has absolutely nothing to do with taking things out of context or demonizing anyone here.

What do you mean with my analogy being fallacious? Its about persons who do horrible things, but then should be given credit if they kill themself. What is fallacious about that? You say that my behavior is bad, but this behavior isnt anything better, in my opinion. I'm not here to fight, why do you think i wrote "i dont want to sound rude"? Its much better to get some clearity in whats being said before starting blaming people for taking things out of context.

The only point i'm getting at is to try to make it sound like he did a noble and admirable thing by killing himself, like he is giving credit for killing himself. Maybe spin isnt the best word to use, but it is at least something positive towards the action of killing himself, in my opinion. Not on his other actions, but on the other situation. To me, it basically comes of as "well, he did a lot of horrible things, but at least he went out with his chin up". Why bring such thing up in the first place by the way? Not sure if that is the intention, but this is what rubs me the wrong way.

I can understand why he killed himself, but i'm not going to use the word noble and admirable for someone who doesnt show no remorse for what he/she did, then kill him/herself after getting a sentence of basically life in prison. A person who shows no remorse for doing such things doesnt deserve any type of credits like this.

The example you give from Harry Potter is the word "great". This is likely referring to the measurement definition. The first world war is known as "the great war" because of its size and scope, not because the war was considered good in any way. Another example is "the person went to greath length to reach the goal". That is also talking about size and scope, that the person had to do much in order to reach the goal. So when the guy from Harry Potter said that great, but terrible things were done, its likely referring to big things, not good things. The same thing cant be both great (as in good) and terrible at the same time, unless its referring to two different aspects of the case.

When it comes to admirable and noble, i've only seen these as positive branded words. I've never seen it being used with a negative meaning, do you have any example of that?

The problem is that some people refuse to apply any positive wording towards an otherwise bad person. Hitler was bad so he was bad at math, too, even when he got full scores on his math tests (made-up example). That's what's happening in this thread.

Nobody admires this guy's gruesome acts. He's a piece of shit. BUT staying true to your own (twisted) resolve to the very end, defying the judges confidently, the swallowing poison with a blip of fear - I cannot call this 'cowardly'. I'd be way too scared to do that and instead sit in prison for the rest of my life - like a coward.
Thats not the case, at least not with what i said. I have no problem saying that e.g Hitler was great at manipulating people through his speeches. He managed to get so many people to believe him and follow him, so no one can deny that. He also managed to boost germany's economic situation as well.

The thing i'm getting at is that i dont really see the need to give such persons any form of credit for killing themself.

You're right that killing one self isnt an easy decision, but sometimes that could be seen as an easier way out. It completely depends on what the other alternatives are. Being locked up for the rest of your life could be an a lot stronger fear.

cromofo

Dude would've been out of prison in a year or two tops as he had served the majority of his sentence.

Looks like he didn't want to go on living with the war criminal brand.

This court has been a joke all around with it's inconsistency and politics and this just topped it off. Smaller fish get fried, while people like Bush and Obama walk around freely.

test_account

XP-39C²
Like American's did with 2 atomic bombs in WW2?
Thats wasnt an act of genocide. Genocide is when someone deliberatelly try to wipe out a certain race or ethnicity, only for the reason that people are of such race or ethnicity. What happened in the Balkan war was that they tried to kill as many muslims as possible.

Dude would've been out of prison in a year or two tops as he had served the majority of his sentence.

Looks like he didn't want to go on living with the war criminal brand.

This court has been a joke all around with it's inconsistency and politics and this just topped it off. Smaller fish get fried, while people like Bush and Obama walk around freely.
How so? It says that the sentence was 20 years. Even if he started to serve that in 2004, it would still be many years left.

Praljak was not convicted of genocide but

Prlić, Stojić, Praljak, Petković, Ćorić, and Pušić remain convicted of crimes against humanity, violations of the laws or customs of war, and grave breaches of the Geneva Conventions, specifically murder, wilful killing, persecutions on political, racial and religious grounds, deportation, unlawful transfer of civilians, imprisonment, unlawful confinement of civilians, unlawful labour, inhumane acts, inhuman treatment, extensive destruction of property not justified by military necessity and carried out unlawfully and wantonly, destruction or wilful damage done to institutions dedicated to religion or education, unlawful attack on civilians, and unlawful infliction of terror on civilians. In addition, Prlić, Stojić, Petković, and Ćorić remain convicted of rape, inhuman treatment (sexual assault), extensive appropriation of property not justified by military necessity and carried out unlawfully and wantonly, and plunder of public or private property through the third category of joint criminal enterprise liability. Praljak also remains convicted of extensive appropriation of property not justified by military necessity and carried out unlawfully and wantonly, and plunder of public or private property through the third category of joint criminal enterprise liability. Ćorić further remains convicted of a number of crimes under superior responsibility.

The Appeals Chamber also affirmed the Trial Chamber’s conclusion that, from mid‑January 1993, the accused were participants in a joint criminal enterprise, with the exception of Pušić who joined in April 1993. The Appeals Chamber further affirmed the Trial Chamber’s conclusion that this joint criminal enterprise was aimed at creating a Croatian entity in Bosnia and Herzegovina that would facilitate the reunification of the Croatian people, through ethnic cleansing of the Muslim population.

http://www.icty.org/en/press/the-icty-renders-its-final-judgement-in-the-prlić-et-al-appeal-case

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Thats wasnt an act of genocide. Genocide is when someone deliberatelly try to wipe out a certain race or ethnicity, only for the reason that people are of such race or ethnicity. What happened in the Balkan war was that they tried to kill as many muslims as possible.

How so? It says that the sentence was 20 years. Even if he started to serve that in 2004, it would still be many years left.
I'd guarantee you if Japan had wiped out 2 US citys with atomic bombs it would be considered a War Crime...

cromofo

He would've been out by 2020. Letting people go after 2/3 of the sentence is served is a common practice by The Hague.

We can't know for sure but it's very likely.

Top Bottom