• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

He told a war crimes court he was innocent, then swigged a vial of ‘poison’

test_account

XP-39C²
The first sentence is part of genocide.

I'd guarantee you if Japan had wiped out 2 US citys with atomic bombs it would be considered a War Crime...
It would, but it wouldnt be genocide. I just wanted to comment on that. Japan attacked Pearl Harbor and that itself is an act of war. Thats what started the war with the japanese. I also dont think the relation between Japan and the US was exactly the best after WW2 due to what happened.

He would've been out by 2020. Letting people go after 2/3 of the sentence was served is a common practice by The Hague.

We can't know for sure but it's very likely.
I dont know to he honest. I know that prison sentences in general can be shortened, but i dont know if that applies to war crimes and such convictions through Haag. Are there any examples of this? Honest question.

cromofo

I dont know to he honest. I know that prison sentences in general can be shortened, but i dont know if that applies to war crimes and such convictions through Haag.

Well it does. This court was established primarily for the 1990s Balkan wars and more times than not convicts have been freed after 2/3s were served.

Early release is quite common for the ICTY

Hazim Delić was arrested by the authorities of Bosnia-Herzegovina on May 2, 1996. He was transferred to the ICTY (International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia) on 13 June 1996. He was found guilty of wilful killings, torture, willfully causing great suffering or serious injury, inhuman treatment and sentenced to 20 years in prison on 16 November 1998. The sentence was reduced to 18 years by the Appeals Chamber on 8 April 2003. He was granted early release 24 June 2008.

Nikola Sainovic
His trial began on 10 July 2006. On 26 February 2009, the ICTY sentenced Šainović to 22 years in prison, following a conviction for crimes against humanity and war crimes, including deportations and forcible transfers, murders and other persecutions.[2][3] On 23 January 2014 his sentence was reduced to 18 years on appeal.[4]
In June 2015, lawyers of Šainović asked for early release from the prison, explaining that he has served nearly two thirds of the sentence, during which his behavior was commendable; also adding that his health is weak due to age and diagnosed diabetes and glaucoma.[5] On 26 August 2015, three months after the request by his lawyers, he was released from the prison after serving (including pretrial detention and time served) two thirds of his sentence.[6]

Praljak would probably have been released in 2018 had he not killed himself.

test_account

XP-39C²
Well it does. This court was established primarily for the 1990s Balkan wars and more times than not convicts have been freed after 2/3s were served.

Early release is quite common for the ICTY

Nikola Sainovic

Praljak would probably have been released in 2018 had he not killed himself.
Ok, i see. Thanks for the info. Strange that they actually do that i think. ~20 years for the crimes that they did is very mild to begin with.

Top Bottom