• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heading to Japan

Little Mac

Gold Member
Any suggestions on gaming spots to check out?

Go infiltrate Sony and find out what's going on with the PS5 Pro. We are counting on you. You got this.

Angry The Fosters GIF by Good Trouble

Last edited:

Tams

If anyone wants to go the Tokyo Skytree, then I recommend getting there before it opens (9am, I think?). It'll be far less crowded, and by 10am the queue will be silly. Sure, you'll miss the golden hour of sunset, but eh, you won't spend a quarter of your day on it too.

Do you live in Japan Durien? How many layers would I have to wear for November?

Just one or two layers in November is fine. A hoodie or normal thickness jacket should do you fine. A merino underlayer that you can wear on its own would be handy.

November is one of the best times to go. July to mid-September is literal hell expect in Hokkaido.

Last edited:

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Be sure to eat at the food spots popular with tourists, the longer the line the better. Nothing like spending your holiday waiting in line with other foreigners to get the appetite to fever pitch.

Last edited:
Visited for the first time for 2 weeks back in March. Some recommends:

Tokyo
  • Diver City/Unicorn Gundam Statue - With the Yokohama Gundam Factory closed, this is the next best option for "cool-ass giant robot", plus it's right by the Diver City mall which has a wide variety of shops and dining options, including one of the larger Gunpla stores in the city. Best to go after sundown so you can catch the light shows they do with the statue.
  • Akihabara - Renowned as the geek capital of the world for good reason, there's arcades, manga and figure shops galore.
  • Shibuya - Of course there's the famous scramble crossing, along with a nice nature park about 15 minutes walk from there. There's the 109 shopping center as well, but just be aware that it's entirely women's fashion.
Kyoto
  • Fushimi Inari Shrine - Probably the most famous shrine in Japan. Entry is free, and the views are spectacular. It tends to be very crowded in the lower areas, but as you ascend the mountain the people will start to thin out. Be warned that the hike is no joke if you want to reach the summit....only 45-60 mins to get up, but much of it is stairs, some of them pretty steep. I would say I am of average weight and fitness level, and my legs were jelly by the time I got to the top.
  • Arashiyama Bamboo Forest & Shopping District - Super cool nature spot, and there's an adjoining park that leads to the Katsura River and then circles back around to the shopping district which has tons of traditional Japanese street food (also way cheaper than the Nishiki Market).
  • Aeon Mall Kyoto - Gigantic shopping mall with it a little bit of everything, including a big Gachapon store (great for picking up some cheap souvenirs for friends/family).
Osaka
  • Tempozan Ferris Wheel - One of the largest ferris wheels in the world, with fantastic views of the Osaka skyline.
  • Denden Town - Kind of an Akihabara-lite.....the Taito Game Center has lots of classic arcade cabinets.
  • Dotonbori - Shopping and nightlife area a short walk from Denden Town. Looking at the lit up buildings lining the river at night feels like you've walked into Cyberpunk 2077.
Nara
  • DEER
  • Also, lots of temples.
I also wouldn't worry too much if you don't know Japanese....I knew very little and had little difficulty getting around. Most places you go in the cities will have some kind of English signage, and most restaurants have pictures of all their menu items. Also, Google is your friend for navigating the trains...just plug in your entry and exit stations and it'll tell you exactly which platforms/trains to take and when.

Susurrus

Super Potato deserves a visit but keep in mind it's a very touristy place and the prices are appropriately high. You're better off shopping for prices elsewhere in Akihabara.

The Nintendo store in Kyoto looks super nice. They're opening a museum in October too.

Places from games, Shibuya crossing appears in a lot of games. Kabukicho in Tokyo and Dotonbori in Osaka feature in a lot of the Yakuza series and Yokohama also appears in the newest ones.

I particularly like this one: https://maps.app.goo.gl/oi9mU5x92DPmHnu67

It's cheaper and has a good, clean selection. At least it did when I visited, which admittedly has been a few years.

just a little comparison for early and later in the morning when I visited Arashiyama Bamboo path April last year.

these days I imagine it's probably even worse. so if you're not into crowds, go early.

Remember to visit onsens!

DJu50qo.jpeg

And to do it Ghost of Tsushima-style!

WGhTgxN.jpeg

I don't know if there are any natural onsens within Tokyo/Kyoto/Osaka that's not an onsen ryokan, but yeah, if you can find one that allows for just going in for a soak, that's definitely something you must do. thou same as the bath houses, sento, you'll need to be comfortable with being nake around others, and follow the etiquettes of wash first soak after.

Nintendo museum opens Oct 2 in Kyoto. Get me some swag.

I looked into it, and right now they're doing a entry ticket lottery drawing up until August 31st. so if you're interested in going, put your name in just to try your luck.

Last edited:
I'd absolutely go for a kashikiri-buro. They look insanely cozy and it's nice to have some privacy.
Yeah we definitely want one! We couldn't do it in our first trip. Now I am going in April and we wanted to do it in Hakone but Hakone fell of the itinerary so we're looking for options in lake Kawaguchi, we know it's not a normal onsen area but the views are aces and would be nice

Last edited:
Top Bottom