• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 drops to less than 10,000 players for the first time ever on Steam

GymWolf

Gold Member
Palworld is much easier to update than this.

It recently got an update and player count rose to 100k again.

Helldivers, I have no idea what you will do in it once you have your fill.

………

Halo Infinite has same issue as Helldivers, once you have played basic modes enough, there is no need to return, outside skins etc. It however is much bigger budget so they added PVE, Forge etc.

This is the size of updates Helldivers need to sustain much higher player count.
They just need to introduce the new enemy faction, the game has can be expanded in many ways, fantasy is the only limit.

Their bigger mistake was using a dead engine that nobody know how to work with so they can't even hire en masse to add content to the game, they have to teach new devs how to do it.

They just need to introduce the new enemy faction, the game has can be expanded in many ways, fantasy is the only limit.

Their bigger mistake was using a dead engine that nobody know how to work with so they can't even hire en masse to add content to the game, they have to teach new devs how to do it.
Personally, I have never returned to a GAAS game for new enemy factions.

70-80 hrs of playtime is generally enough to sate any desire to play more just for a new enemy type. This is not a trivial amount of time spent doing same basic actions. But good GAAS titles achieve it effortlessly.

I do return for game changing updates, which is what this game would need.

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
Updating this game is "easy" on the paper. A lot of cool stuff may be added to this core. The problem is that it needs big money. Keeping Helldivers 2 alive long-term is way beyond the capacities of Arrowhead. Instead of investing in crappy games, Sony should focus on a few ones with proven potential, like this.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Updating this game is "easy" on the paper. A lot of cool stuff may be added to this core. The problem is that it needs big money. Keeping Helldivers 2 alive long-term is way beyond the capacities of Arrowhead. Instead of investing in crappy games, Sony should focus on a few ones with proven potential, like this.

Doesnt Sony fund this games development?
How is this beyond Arrowheads capacity when they have Sony backing them.

Playstation PDSG is working with Arrowhead on this.
6s3GkKo.png

Im pretty sure XDEV is also on the project.
GDPBO5fXQAAAT-c.jpg:large

I hopped on Sunday night for the first time in a while. I still absolutely love the gameplay loop and the sheer chaos. I had a blast, honestly.

Anywho, if the game is limited by its engine, is it possible they move to UE5 for the next game? I have no idea about game development, but I have heard their current engine is not great.

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
Doesnt Sony fund this games development?
How is this beyond Arrowheads capacity when they have Sony backing them.

Playstation PDSG is working with Arrowhead on this.

Im pretty sure XDEV is also on the project.

Sure, I mean an even bigger investment, as if it were a first-party title. Otherwise, I think it will die because they can't keep up.

Black_Stride

All f2p games

Post said NO game.
He didnt say NO game that costs money.

If anything the fact people paid for something should make them cherish it more.....if the shit is free im walking away easy work, I aint lost nothing but time.

Three

Post said NO game.
He didnt say NO game that costs money.

If anything the fact people paid for something should make them cherish it more.....if the shit is free im walking away easy work, I aint lost nothing but time.
And they do. The difference is that F2P games have new people joining and contributing to CCU due to there being no cost of entry.

Last edited:

Tiago Rodrigues

Gold Member
Meanwhile.

valorant-305kescxw5dpup7y.jpg

league-heartthrob.jpg

dota-2-windranger-arcana-splash.jpg

counter_strike_2_wallpaper___i_by_fractionalvoid_dfsp1o8-fullview.jpg
Did you just name F2P games for what reason?

Helldivers 2 sold over 12M copies. It could stop selling right now and close servers tomorrow and it would've been one of Sony's biggest hits ever.

There's also the fact Helldivers 2 never had any promo and it's also not just a Pc game. It's also on PS5. It can maintain a healthy audience with the small team that did the game and run for years while Sony keeps getting money from...you know..actual sales from it.

Griffon

Again, 10k this late after release is excellent.
This is SIMULTANEOUS PLAYERS, not daily, not monthly, those numbers would be insanely high.

Steamdb-stans who don't understand what the numbers mean need to take a knee and stop posting new threads.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Did you just name F2P games for what reason?

Post said no game can hold 400,000 concurrent players.
I was pointing out that is false, as off head I could think of 4 games that regularly hold 400,000 concurrent on PC alone.

ReBurn

Gold Member
And they do. The difference is that F2P games have new people joining and contributing to CCU due to there being no cost of entry.
Kind of makes the argument that F2P is the way to go if you want to keep attracting new people to online-only games.

Three

Kind of makes the argument that F2P is the way to go if you want to keep attracting new people to online-only games.
I guess if your main goal is CCU but even then it's not guaranteed (look at Halo Infinite with less than 1k CCU nowadays). ultimately it depends on what your goal is. You can be a successful game without it like Helldivers 2. There isn't a shortage of players to make matchmaking a problem and they're selling a game and relying less on mtx to shape income or gameplay.

2/4 of the games he listed have the benefit of being steam only valve games too so will have 100% of their players on steam CCUs/charts. F2P games also mostly benefit from other parts of the world where cheap computers and not being able to buy legit games are more popular. CCU isn't really the end goal though unless your multiplayer game has matchmaking problems from too small a population.

Three

waiting for this game become F2P
Unlikely to happen any time soon unless they change the structure of the game to rely more on battle passes and mtx/grinding. This update doesn't have any of that. It can happen but will require an update with game changes.

Tiago Rodrigues

Gold Member
There are over 20 million Xbox users. Don't be an idiot
Sony is not going to be spending their money to port this to that weak ass Series S, be for real now. 20M users? The game sold over 12M copies in a console that has 60M users PLUS PC. How much do you think it would get on Xbox way after the initial hype?

Three

edit: Just checked and it seems like the game never dropped below 10k? Am i seeing it wrong?
It hovers around the 10k mark on low hours (when most are sleeping). The guy who wrote the article probably saw it go below on the hourly at some point but the chart moving average never has gone below 10k.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
It hovers around the 10k mark on low hours (when most are sleeping). The guy who wrote the article probably saw it go below on the hourly at some point but the chart moving average never has gone below 10k.

This is correct. The screenshot shows it as July 22nd. The Twitter post from Draugoth Draugoth 's "source" was from 10:34 AM on July 22nd. This wasn't news or newsworthy at all, and by the end of the day it still had over 10,000 concurrent players.

Last edited:
The new content trailer has reached 700,000 views in 5 hours and trending #1 in gaming. Game is not dead. People just waiting for something exciting to bring them back.

Renoir

this game is fun. im just baffeled at how quickly users eat up the content.
Then there is talk about how there is nothing to do. Mind you this game just came out.
Maybe just the ol man in me talking.

edit:

oooohh shiiet

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
I've been sucked into 2k since it was on Plus Extra and have been doing First Descendant with my bro until the next update. We will be going back with that so there's +2! Still tho, wish they'd have ambitious missions of more than 4 players and giant bosses and/or space battles

It’s pretty much normal with GAAS. Think of It this way the same as we do with World of Warcraft, the last season which usually recycles content is always less played than the other ‘raid tier’ seasons.

Same goes for these types of games it’s up and downs according to the content being released.

For example in Helldivers 2 case, I do hope they take their sweet time with patches and content as the fast pace ‘Every Thursday content release’ + the monthly passes which were poor balanced on the items they gave in them…

Looking forward to the new content!… Just hoping they Add the pc/ps cross saves soon

Last edited:

John Bilbo

I think this game has been a massive success. I lost interest after 60 hours of gameplay but it was fun while it lasted.

I think Counter-Strike being a PvP game with a long legacy has a lot to do with it's success. Are there any PvE games with such a long legacy and similar success over time? Even WoW has PvP servers and game modes.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
are player count threads now just a thing here that is gonna happen frequently?

Whats there to discuss, it has no new content people get bored move on. Nothing else to talk about.

There are reasons for player retention rates. Not a ton of conversation exploring those reasons however.

simpatico

Gold Member
The developers went out of their way to piss off the players. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in a way I haven’t often seen in gaming.

Top Bottom