• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 drops to less than 10,000 players for the first time ever on Steam

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I think this game has been a massive success. I lost interest after 60 hours of gameplay but it was fun while it lasted.

I think Counter-Strike being a PvP game with a long legacy has a lot to do with it's success. Are there any PvE games with such a long legacy and similar success over time? Even WoW has PvP servers and game modes.

LRd2 is still crazy active for how old it is, and PoE as well. But for the most part you’re right. PvP is better for player retention.

ByWatterson

It would already be a smash hit if it dropped off the face of the earth.

But, if it wants to stay relevant, it needs narrative content from time to time. Even when Destiny sucked, the promise of what might happen next kept people coming back.

Helldivers needs characters and stories.

Ansphn

All that meat guzzling of the PC community and unprofessional and bad partner way Arrowhead acted didn't amount to shit.

Last edited:

Tiago Rodrigues

Gold Member
44k on Playstation tonight, 26k on steam.

I'd say that's a fairly decent number between both platforms.
70k was what i think the original peak they expected when the game was released. The game is doing those numbers 7 months later and after selling 12M copies lmao.

GAF will tell you this is flopping somehow.

AmuroChan

Why is there so much concern for this one game's player numbers? Not every multiplayer game has to be a forever game. I think it's totally fine for a MP game to be popular for 6-12 months, and then rides off into the sunset and retires. There's simply not enough player bandwidth for every MP game to be a Fortnite or Minecraft that just persists forever.

nial

Playstation PDSG is working with Arrowhead on this.
6s3GkKo.png
They work on every first-party game.
Im pretty sure XDEV is also on the project.
GDPBO5fXQAAAT-c.jpg:large
You know? For some weird reason, they aren't.
The game was made under supervision of Internal Production of PlayStation Studios (led by Scott Rohde, recently credited in The Last of Us Part II Remastered and MLB The Show 24) instead of External Production (led by John Rostron, recently credited in Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade).
I mean, Arrowhead isn't owned by Sony, so what's going on here?

Last edited:

Mobilemofo

I've just had a butchers at palworld after reading about it via here and other places and 😅 wtf..it looks utter shit. Can anyone tell me about the appeal? It must have that rare "it's like crack" vibe if it's super popular. Visually, it also looks pretty shit.

JaksGhost

Here are the Steam Player Engagement numbers for the week this was posted:
GUOQwD1bgAABhIB

It actually increased from the previous week from 6 to 4....

Tiago Rodrigues

Gold Member
Gaming industry feels really fucking broken right now. I feel like something really bad is potentially on the horizon.

Here are the Steam Player Engagement numbers for the week this was posted:
GUOQwD1bgAABhIB

It actually increased from the previous week from 6 to 4....
And this is before the big update from this week.

The biggest irony is the game being ahead of the only game Bungie have: Destiny 2. Another Sony company.

Maybe buying Arrowhead would be a better choice for Sony, lmao.

Top Bottom