• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me understand America's fascination with Chick Fil-A

badblue

Gold Member
I've never had chic-fil-a so I'm quite excited to try it once they open their first store here later this summer.

Apocryphon

Some people rave about Popeyes and I don’t get it, but I do think Chick-fil-A is pretty great and I’m excited that they’re opening a store in Calgary later this year.

simpatico

The staff is almost always better trained at Chick. Much better order accuracy and cooking consistency, dare I say, perfect. It's not an exciting menu, but it's executed really well for fast food.

How many Popeye's have you visited? It's on the same list as Taco Bell and Arby's as food joints that I will try again when they're entirely robot made. Nobody wants to work there, so you get a staff of people who are only there as a condition of their parole.

Last edited:

SoloCamo

Some people rave about Popeyes and I don’t get it, but I do think Chick-fil-A is pretty great and I’m excited that they’re opening a store in Calgary later this year.

Popeyes has good food, but everything else about them sucks and I mean everything. Also as another posted, Popeyes makes me feel like death after eating it... wayyyy too much grease.

Last edited:

Apocryphon

Popeyes has good food, but everything else about them sucks and I mean everything. Also as another posted, Popeyes makes me feel like death after eating it... wayyyy too much grease.
The quality of the meat is good but I think it’s bland, and yes, too greasy.

Soltype

The food is good, used to be better.Biggest reason they're popular though is
white-people-rowboat.gif

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Their fries are also amazing. I'll take popeyes any day over Jesus chicken

Last edited:

The Stig

i havent had any since i left GA (2015) but the cheap chicken sandwiches were lovely, very "more-ish" (an english term). SO savory.

However, once i found out the company was funding anti-lgbtq organizations I decided to "boycott" them (also eat healthier, which I am not doing very well).

Also, once you have read this, just because I am an LGBTQ ally please don't label me as some fan of sweet baby inc. I just believe people should be able to love who they love. (I do NOT mean to derail the topic)

throwgarbage.gif

MrMephistoX

If you think Chic Fi La lines wait till you visit an In N Out. I like both but it’s amazing to me that everywhere in California which has had In N Out for 50 years there’s always a huge line daily.

Mistake

i havent had any since i left GA (2015) but the cheap chicken sandwiches were lovely, very "more-ish" (an english term). SO savory.

However, once i found out the company was funding anti-lgbtq organizations I decided to "boycott" them (also eat healthier, which I am not doing very well).

Also, once you have read this, just because I am an LGBTQ ally please don't label me as some fan of sweet baby inc. I just believe people should be able to love who they love. (I do NOT mean to derail the topic)

throwgarbage.gif
I usually care more about the product, than the people behind the product. Good on you for voting with your wallet though

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
It’s a pretty good value proposition all things considered. Only slightly more expensive than other fast food chains but the chicken is consistently good and so is the service.

Doom85

It is a great sandwich especially the spicy chicken. Their waffle fries are good but I do feel they’re not as good as they used to be.

But yeah, Culver’s is better in terms of our local fast food places. So is Five Guys, Fazoli’s, Moe’s, Jack in the Box, etc. Cane’s though? Nah, their chicken is good but you can get better chicken at pretty much any other chicken chain I’ve been to. I think their toast carries their meal, which I like, but toast should not be the highlight of lunch/dinner IMHO.

Regardless, if you’re going to Chick-Fil-A and you see the drive-thru line is backed up so much it would spill out into the main street, then GET THE FUCK OUT and go somewhere else. I’m referring to this dumbass where I was driving down the main road and he was on the left turn lane on the reverse side of the street. He sees he has enough time to make the turn before I would reach him, sure, but what he failed to notice was the Chick-Fil-A line was so long that there was no room to turn into and he was now blocking the right lane that I was driving in. I did not have enough time to brake before I would hit him so thank fucking Christ no one was on my left so I got in the left lane and just missed him. Stupid asshole, he got all the middle finger gestures from me.

While that was only the extreme instance, I’ve seen the one closer to my house get backed up enough to block people from getting into the Kohl’s in the same area. That’s pretty fucking annoying, if I’m driving to or from Kohl’s, I shouldn’t have to wait a while because some people apparently can’t fathom going anywhere else to eat.

Seriously, people, there are other good places to eat. Chick-Fil-A will not send people to murder you in your sleep if you go somewhere else when it’s extremely busy. You can do this, I believe in you.

Believe Jason Sudeikis GIF by Apple TV

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Shit's delicious and service is best in class. When my girl J sees me pulling up to the drive-thru she's got my receipt already printed with a smile and I don't even have to slow down. You can have 20 cars in front of you and you're still probably out of there in 10 minutes flat.

Personally I'm down with the regular Spicy Chicken, Cobb Salad w/ Spicy Fil-a, and the Market Salad is bomb too with the grilled chicken.

Also, best shakes in the fast food game. Shake Shack is absolutely pathetic in this matchup, though oddly their chicken sandwich is pretty amazing in its own right, just not competitive on pricing.

I don't know, it always seemed pretty obvious to me that it's pointless to boycott people for what they do with the money they earn. You got something against their actual business practices? Sure, boycott! Too many third-world children dying in the cobalt mines? Okay man, that's a good boycott.

With like a Disney it's not even really a boycott for me, they bought up shit I enjoyed and made it terrible. Like yeah the politics are part of that, but if they were making awesome Star Wars, and donating the profits to the Drag Queen Story Hour Society, what the fuck ever, I'm gonna watch awesome Star Wars.

You actually give a flying fuck that 1/10th of a penny per sandwich is going to go to some religious dude that doesn't want to recognize gay marriage? My local Starbucks had the pride flag up for months and months, oddly gone right now despite it being pride month, but I digress... and hey I'm not the biggest ally here and don't particularly like the flag but it's not really affecting me picking up my overpriced but conveniently located, and easily acquired via a pretty-good app, coffee. I didn't need to argue with the trans barista there about what fucking bathroom she wanted to use, she was friendly enough and didn't fuck up my coffee. So hey the business experience was fine. It's not like you walked into the Chick-Fil-A and there was a poster with a big NO symbol crossing out two dudes holding hands.

Why the fuck you want to hurt businesses that provide good service and value? Just seems like an obvious demarcation that would make society so much more pleasant.

I have more respect for the PETA weirdos because at least yeah, Chick-Fil-A kills the chickens, that's the business model, they should be boycotting that shit.

Good to great food (spicy sandwich and salads are among the best in fast food)

Amazing customer service

Amazing cleanliness

Cane’s is also great because they also focus on service and cleanliness. But you have to drown their chicken fingers in sauce for them to be good.

Popeyes does have a better chicken sandwich, but their restaurants are dirty as fuck and their employees seem like this is either their first job ever or their first job since parole.

In and Out is also amazing and focuses on service and cleanliness but man their fries suck.

So CFA is great because it’s unparalleled in terms of consistency. And don’t forget the Bible angle. I am an atheist, but the Christians love CFA.

Blade2.0

It's good, but I agree OP. It's not the first thing that comes to my mind to eat when I think fast food. It's not cheap and nowadays they're so full, they're not very fast, either. Also when I do think about having them it's Sunday and they're closed.

But all that aside, the problem with America is the fascination on breast meat sandwiches when the clearly superior thigh meat is sitting right there. Had some fried thigh chicken sandwiches in China and there's nothing as good as them here in the West. Not a damm one!

Edit: it's basically in-n-out of the South. A clearly good fast food joint that has too much hype behind it. At the end of the day, the quality of sandwich won't live up to the mega hype. It's just not going to happen.

Last edited:

Haint

People like the slightly sweet breading and the chicken's much more consistently tender and juicy when compared to the dry rubber tree bark most other fast food chains will serve you 9 out of 10 times. The sides are much higher quality than other chains as well.

Last edited:

RedC

This thread came at the worst time. I just started my new diet today, but now I’m hungry for fast food. 😭
What type of diet are you on?

I eat healthy and can fit a Chick-fil-A meal into my diet.

My go-to is Grilled Chicken Nuggets and Kale Crunch Side Salad.

Last edited:

Doom85

Shit's delicious and service is best in class. When my girl J sees me pulling up to the drive-thru she's got my receipt already printed with a smile and I don't even have to slow down. You can have 20 cars in front of you and you're still probably out of there in 10 minutes flat.

Personally I'm down with the regular Spicy Chicken, Cobb Salad w/ Spicy Fil-a, and the Market Salad is bomb too with the grilled chicken.

Also, best shakes in the fast food game. Shake Shack is absolutely pathetic in this matchup, though oddly their chicken sandwich is pretty amazing in its own right, just not competitive on pricing.

I don't know, it always seemed pretty obvious to me that it's pointless to boycott people for what they do with the money they earn. You got something against their actual business practices? Sure, boycott! Too many third-world children dying in the cobalt mines? Okay man, that's a good boycott.

With like a Disney it's not even really a boycott for me, they bought up shit I enjoyed and made it terrible. Like yeah the politics are part of that, but if they were making awesome Star Wars, and donating the profits to the Drag Queen Story Hour Society, what the fuck ever, I'm gonna watch awesome Star Wars.

You actually give a flying fuck that 1/10th of a penny per sandwich is going to go to some religious dude that doesn't want to recognize gay marriage? My local Starbucks had the pride flag up for months and months, oddly gone right now despite it being pride month, but I digress... and hey I'm not the biggest ally here and don't particularly like the flag but it's not really affecting me picking up my overpriced but conveniently located, and easily acquired via a pretty-good app, coffee. I didn't need to argue with the trans barista there about what fucking bathroom she wanted to use, she was friendly enough and didn't fuck up my coffee. So hey the business experience was fine. It's not like you walked into the Chick-Fil-A and there was a poster with a big NO symbol crossing out two dudes holding hands.

Why the fuck you want to hurt businesses that provide good service and value? Just seems like an obvious demarcation that would make society so much more pleasant.

I have more respect for the PETA weirdos because at least yeah, Chick-Fil-A kills the chickens, that's the business model, they should be boycotting that shit.

Best shakes? Your specific local Arby’s and White Castle must be failing in that department, because otherwise they are the undisputed kings of fast food milkshakes (hell, for some it’s their only reason to go to either place). You should complain to your local Arby’s and White Castle, if Chick-Fil-A is somehow providing the best shakes within your area, something ain’t right. Like, CFA shakes are really good, but definitely not the best.

Also, in terms of the anti-LGBT angle, I’m pretty sure the company themselves ceased donating to such organizations several years back, even switching to focus support towards helping those in poverty, and IIRC a Chick-Fil-A in Orlando actually opened on the Sunday after that gay club shooting to offer free food to first responders and those donating blood to help the injured. Sure, I’m sure an exec or two is using their own personal money for anti-LGBT donations, but awful rich people like that can be found anywhere so boycotting Chick-Fil-A in particular doesn’t make sense anymore.

It’s got a playground for kids, if you have a toddler you’d understand how valuable that is.
Also their customer service is superb.

pel1300

Where I'm at, most fast food places have rude and lazy staff who can barely speak English.

Chick-Fil-A is an exception. They hire mostly young people who want work experience. When I used to live in CA I remember In-N-Out being similar.

Last edited:

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Best shakes? Your specific local Arby’s and White Castle must be failing in that department, because otherwise they are the undisputed kings of fast food milkshakes (hell, for some it’s their only reason to go to either place). You should complain to your local Arby’s and White Castle, if Chick-Fil-A is somehow providing the best shakes within your area, something ain’t right. Like, CFA shakes are really good, but definitely not the best.
I don't have a local White Castle... and I have to admit I don't think I've ever tried Arby's shakes so now I kind of have to. But the seasonal peach shake, and the cookies and cream from CFA are goated. I will try to investigate Arby's this week, but ya gotta give me some flavor power rankings or something or else I'm just gonna order blind.
Also, in terms of the anti-LGBT angle, I’m pretty sure the company themselves ceased donating to such organizations several years back, even switching to focus support towards helping those in poverty, and IIRC a Chick-Fil-A in Orlando actually opened on the Sunday after that gay club shooting to offer free food to first responders and those donating blood to help the injured. Sure, I’m sure an exec or two is using their own personal money for anti-LGBT donations, but awful rich people like that can be found anywhere so boycotting Chick-Fil-A in particular doesn’t make sense anymore.
What's funny is that many people are still on the personal boycott. Hell my buddy was on the boycott, I didn't even tell him about how they changed their charities around to be more politically correct. I just bought him a sandwich for free when he was in town visiting and that was enough to end the boycott and turn him into a Chick-Fil-A enjoyer.

The Stig

You are absolutely not wrong,

This is a difficult subject. If I "boycott" chick fil a am I really hurting the company or the local people working there?

Inspector Q

I like their food. I think it's decent when it comes to fast food. But my goodness these lines are brutal. It is busy all the time. In every suburb. In every store. They have dozens of people behind the register so its not like they are lazy like popeyes or incompetent like walmart management. They are busy because people love it.

But why? Whats so amazing about this? The popeyes chicken sandwich hype was real. The sandwich was amazing. But these guys make the most bland chicken. It's decent at best. I think canes is better. Culvers is way better. Their best sandwich is the spicy deluxe but even that pales in comparison to the popeyes chicken sandwich.

It's busier than mcdonalds and chipotle and i just dont get it.
I have one about 5 minutes from where I live. Had it once...thought it sucked. So not sure....but my conclusion is that most people have shit for taste, lol.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Everyone going on and on about the customer service. I've always cringed the few times I've been in there with how overly fake and nice they are. Last time I went in there was years ago. I ordered my food ate then decided I wanted a shake so I walk up to the counter again and the guy who took my shake order was the same guy who took my food order and he started with the same exact canned "Hi, how are you? How's your day going blah, blah". I had to cut him off and tell him I just want a shake for the love of God.

Last edited:

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
Everyone going on and on about the customer service. I've always cringed the few times I've been in there with how overly fake and nice they are. Last time I went in there was years ago. I ordered my food ate then decided I wanted a shake so I walk up to the counter again and the guy who took my shake order was the same guy who took my food order and he started with the same exact canned "Hi, how are you? How's your day going blah, blah". I had to cut him off and tell him I just want a shake for the love of God.
Have a Blessed One: Part II

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
SIMAAM.jpg

It’s a well known fact, Sonny Jim, that they put an addictive chemical in their chicken that makes you crave for it nightly!!!
Yeah, I looked into it and man... it's a chemical soup of deliciousness. It's delicious, but like any other fast food, it's not good for you.

But all of this in a chicken sandwich?:
Chicken (spicy chicken breast filets with rib meat containing up to 15% solution of water, seasoning [corn maltodextrin, spice, rice starch, tapioca maltodextrin, salt, cotton seed oil, spice and color {contains paprika}, garlic powder, natural flavoring {milk, soy}], modified food starch, coated with up to 4% of salt, monosodium glutamate, sugar, spices, paprika, enriched bleached flour [bleached wheat flour, malted barley flour, niacin, iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid], sugar, salt, monosodium glutamate, leavening, spice, nonfat milk, soybean oil, whey, color [paprika, yellow #6], fully refined peanut oil, with dimethylpolysiloxane [an anti-foam agent] added, pasteurized nonfat milk, pasteurized egg, water), bun (bleached and unbleached enriched flour [wheat flour {malted barley flour, reduced iron, niacin, thiamin mononitrate (Vitamin B1), riboflavin (Vitamin B2), folic acid}], water, sugar, yeast, soybean oil, vital wheat gluten, salt, cultured wheat flour, vinegar, calcium propionate [preservative], organic acids, monoglycerides, sesame flour, DATEM, soy lecithin, enzymes, wheat flour, calcium carbonate, ascorbic acid [dough conditioner], wheat starch, citric acid, potassium iodate, buttered flavored oil [soybean oil, palm kernel oil, soy lecithin, natural flavor, beta carotene]), pickles (cucumbers, water, vinegar, salt, calcium chloride, potassium sorbate [preservative], turmeric extract [color], natural flavor, dill pickle spice, beta carotene [color], garlic emulsion)
Source: their website.

Bottom line is Americans (some, not all) are lazy or busy and don't have time to cook or eat healthy, so they just go through the drive-thru, and chic-fil-a is all the hype with their customer service, etc, etc.

Last edited:

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
I don't know, I only consider the friendliness to be semi-fake. And it makes me super friendly myself. My voice goes up like three semi-tones, it's a good time. Much better than dealing with a cashier that mutters nothing but your total and puts your change on the counter while staring at the floor. It seems to extend back past the cashier too, everyone's pretty jovial doing their jobs, nobody is yelling about anything, all the employees are helping each other out. Maybe they're drinking the Kool-Aid. Maybe everyone should be drinking that Kool-Aid.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I ate there once and I thought it was overrated. I'd rather eat a spicy chicken sandwich from McDonald's. Very inexpensive but really good.

SoloCamo

I'll take popeyes any day over Jesus chicken

Well that makes sense, you prefer Popeyes so of course you wouldn't know how to handle people being nice. The guy who took your order has no idea you went through that line.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Well that makes sense, you prefer Popeyes so of course you wouldn't know how to handle people being nice. The guy who took your order has no idea you went through that line.
I prefer Popeyes because I like the taste. I can handle nice but they're not nice they're fake nice. Huge difference. He had no idea he had just taken my order because he was just going thru the motions like I said fake nice. You don't remember someone you just had a conversation with 20 minutes ago? Maybe he had early onset dementia.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

S tier spicy chicken deluxe (no pickles) and their kid’s meal is better than a happy meal. Personally I’d prefer In n Out if we’re getting overhyped fast food but it’s a solid choice if we’re going to be in the car for a few hours. We often drive to the other side of the state to see family, so we usually stop by one on our way out of town.

Oh and them saying “my pleasure” instead of you’re welcome or whatever when I say thanks creeps me the fuck out. Stop training them to do that, I don’t want to hear a teenage girl act like I just paid her for a BJ when I got a chicken sandwich.

Oh #2: pro tip, get the Kirkland brand lightly breaded nuggets and some waffle fries, air fry them, get some chick fil a sauce in a bottle from the grocery store (all profits go to their employee’s education fund) and you’ve got yourself almost exactly what you get from the drive through at a fraction of the price. The kids say it literally tastes the same.

Last edited:

BossLackey

Gold Member
  • Great customer service.
  • An abundance of workers.
  • Clean stores inside and out.
  • Consistent, good food.

It's really not hard to understand.

Other fast food restaurants were already worse than CFA 10 years ago. Now? It feels like two entirely different categories. Going to McDonald's feels like a dystopian nightmare in comparison.

As for Popeyes, it also is delicious, but I almost always get sick from eating there. Not sure if it’s the oil they use or what, but I feel like shit after eating Popeye’s. Chick Fil-A doesn’t do that to me.
That's just the chicken treating you the same way the customers treat popeyes or waffle house.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
  • Great customer service.
  • An abundance of workers.
  • Clean stores inside and out.
  • Consistent, good food.

It's really not hard to understand.

Other fast food restaurants were already worse than CFA 10 years ago. Now? It feels like two entirely different categories. Going to McDonald's feels like a dystopian nightmare in comparison.
This is exactly it. The food is really good, but the big thing is that the experience of eating there is 100x better than pretty much any other fast food chain. And it’s consistently that way everywhere you go.

To the point where it’s disappointing that other fast food chains can’t get their shit together like that.

If you went to a Burger King and they were well staffed with people who actually look like they give a shit, they gave you service with a smile, the bathrooms were spotless, the tables were clean, the garbage cans weren’t overflowing… you’d think you were in some alternate universe or something. Whereas you get that at Chick-Fil-A every time.

Doom85

This is exactly it. The food is really good, but the big thing is that the experience of eating there is 100x better than pretty much any other fast food chain. And it’s consistently that way everywhere you go.

To the point where it’s disappointing that other fast food chains can’t get their shit together like that.

If you went to a Burger King and they were well staffed with people who actually look like they give a shit, they gave you service with a smile, the bathrooms were spotless, the tables were clean, the garbage cans weren’t overflowing… you’d think you were in some alternate universe or something. Whereas you get that at Chick-Fil-A every time.

I dunno about inside the Burger King (since I don’t have kids, so why the fuck would I eat inside ANY fast food location regardless of cleanliness and such? Get the food, drive home, and eat while watching TV will always be a superior experience) but the people in my BK drive-thru always treat me nice, and they get their food out even faster than Chick-Fil-A does. Taco Bell is a bit faster too. Also, the few times Taco Bell has gotten my order wrong (usually missing one item), they almost always give me my correct food then plus something extra like some additional nachos or an extra taco as an apology.

Wendy’s though, now they’re the undisputed gods of slow as hell in my area. The food is good, that’s not the issue but holy shit, it once took like 45 minutes for me to get my food with only like seven cars in front of me. The one 30 minutes from me where my friends live is much better at speed, but the one closest to my house (and apparently the one 10 minutes away is pretty slow too according to my mom) must be run by zombies with how slow they do their job.

Top Bottom