• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me understand America's fascination with Chick Fil-A

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I dunno about inside the Burger King (since I don’t have kids, so why the fuck would I eat inside ANY fast food location regardless of cleanliness and such? Get the food, drive home, and eat while watching TV will always be a superior experience) but the people in my BK drive-thru always treat me nice, and they get their food out even faster than Chick-Fil-A does. Taco Bell is a bit faster too. Also, the few times Taco Bell has gotten my order wrong (usually missing one item), they almost always give me my correct food then plus something extra like some additional nachos or an extra taco as an apology.

Wendy’s though, now they’re the undisputed gods of slow as hell in my area. The food is good, that’s not the issue but holy shit, it once took like 45 minutes for me to get my food with only like seven cars in front of me. The one 30 minutes from me where my friends live is much better at speed, but the one closest to my house (and apparently the one 10 minutes away is pretty slow too according to my mom) must be run by zombies with how slow they do their job.
Last time I ate at BK I was about to take a bite of my burger, and the girl behind the counter ran out and grabbed it out of my hands and said “that was the wrong one”. She took the wrapper too, I am pretty sure she wrapped it back up and gave it to the drive thru customer.

I do love Taco Bell but they usually have like 2 people working. Drive thru only for me.

And yeah Wendy’s is the slowest fucking “fast food” place in existence. They’ve been that way as long as I can remember, at least since the mid 90s. They’re too slow and expensive for what they offer though, I see zero reason to go there anymore since there’s always something better (e.g. Culver’s) nearby.

Now Steak and Shake, there is a place that has totally gone to shit since COVID. No more table service. No more crayons and color-able placemats for the kids. Kiosk ordering only. No more french fry seasoning + pepper sauce at the tables. The one by us even has a barcode scanner by the drinks, you have to scan your little drink ticket to dispense soft drinks. There’s like 3 people working back in their little corner and I don’t think they ever venture out into the dining room. What a shit hole.

No particular item is the most amazing food you'll ever have, but I get deluxe chicken sandwich meal when I go with unsweetened ice tea and the sandwich, waffle fries, and tea are always great. Their signature sauce is perfect for the sandwich and fries. I also tried a vanilla milkshake once which was really good, but the tea goes better with the sandwich.

I think part of why people like it is that it's very consistent and they give the impression that you're at a wholesome establishment and not just another fast food shop. I've stopped going to other fast food places unless I see a special deal, but I go to Chick-fil-A every couple months and never have a bad experience.

Regarding the lines.. they do get crazy, but they have a system worked out so things are constantly moving. I've been on short lines at other places where I've sat so long that I can only assume that the whole staff is on a lunch break.

March Climber

Gold Member
As for Popeyes, it also is delicious, but I almost always get sick from eating there. Not sure if it’s the oil they use or what, but I feel like shit after eating Popeye’s. Chick Fil-A doesn’t do that to me.
It’s the type of grease. Chik Fil A uses a light amount of peanut oil for most of their food which is why it feels and tastes less greasy.

I like the food a lot, but to get deep into it, it's because it's a Christian company, this sets a tone very different from our increasingly anonymous corporate society.

At most places workers aren't treated well and are just there for the money and obviously don't care, employees at Chik Fil A simply care more about what they're doing.

There's the actual taste but there's also the QUALITY, the food is always hot and fresh, the service is good, every time I get McDonald's the fries are cold and stale, all that counts for a lot.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Clean, good service, consistently good food.

So Chickfila treats their American fast food stores in America the same way that American fast food stores are treated in Western Europe and Asia.

Shifty1897

High quality food (for a fast food place), along with cleanliness and great customer service.
Also they got involved with in a culture war because the company was explicitly Christian and donated to Christian charities, and a lot of Christians started eating there all the time. Chick-fil-A has since stopped donating to Christian charities but they still get called homophobic by atheists, which in turn inspires Christians to eat there more. It's a whole thing in the American South.

Also yeah that spicy chicken sandwich is good.

Last edited:

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
We only have BK MC and KFC. Haven't tried them in a decade. Wish we had more.

Tyler The Creator Lol GIF by #ActionAliens

Fuck FEBO

SoloCamo

I prefer Popeyes because I like the taste. I can handle nice but they're not nice they're fake nice. Huge difference. He had no idea he had just taken my order because he was just going thru the motions like I said fake nice. You don't remember someone you just had a conversation with 20 minutes ago? Maybe he had early onset dementia.

Eh, I rarely go inside and maybe because it's hot as hell for the workers here in FL (they stand outside to take your order) people keep it more real. Always nice but not over the top. Popeyes Chicken sandwich is pretty amazing, but that grease gets me. If they could tone that down a bit I'd be there more often.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I loved it when I was a kid but the last time I had it a couple years ago it was above average but nothing special.

22:22:22

Banned
I contradicted myself in here. First I was like we only have MC KFC and BK.

"Wish there were more"

Later I said some derogatory shit about FF in general.

To be fair I'd like to try them all. In and out, tacobelll, the whole nine yards.

Correct me if I'm wrong but there's a franchise and place to get their best respective shit, right?

Romulus

For me, it's the service. If I have to get fast food, the order has a 98% chance of bring correct and I can leave and dedicate time to things I want to do.

Any other fast food joint, they're around 75% accurate. Something is usually missing or it's the wrong order etc. "Can you pull forward sir." So I'm there waiting when I already waited.

That's the local experience for me. I don't necessarily love the food and would rather have other options at times, but I'm not willing to sacrifice extra time.

Not to mention if someone messes up the order at other fast food places, they act like I fucked up lol. Chick-fil-A just handles it with no attitude.

So the line is faster and way less chance of a fuck up and less attitude.

Last edited:

Raven117

Very overrated. It's good fast food, which isn't a complement.

However, it always seems to be clean, fast, and the people working there seem to be more polite than anywhere else.

I think it's popular because the whole package is a little bit better than all the direct competition.
Pretty much.

A good nuggie tray as well

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Healthier than most fast food. Chik sauce is mad good. Waffle fries are mad good. Affordable. Worth the wait. Doesn’t give me mud butt.

Also their breakfast? Top shelf.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Other than local places the only fast food that has impressed me in the last 10 years was Popeyes.

But I don’t really eat national chain fast food often. Get a much better burger at local places and better faux Mexican too.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
I don't have a local White Castle... and I have to admit I don't think I've ever tried Arby's shakes so now I kind of have to. But the seasonal peach shake, and the cookies and cream from CFA are goated. I will try to investigate Arby's this week, but ya gotta give me some flavor power rankings or something or else I'm just gonna order blind.
Self-quote 'cause homie left me hangin. Got a Jamocha shake with their new burger (shake add on for $1 deal). Burger wasn't too terrible but not competitive on pricing with In-N-Out and not competitive on quality with Five Guys.

Shake was good. A little thick compared to Chick-fil-A but not in a difficult and unpleasant way like Shake Shack. I could see how someone would like it better but it didn't compete on taste. The orange dreamsicle one or whatever would have been my backup choice and kinda wish I had it in hindsight but no more shakes for a least a month. (unless Chick-fil-A hits me with a freebie as they sometimes do)

Polynesian Sauce is better than Chick-fil-a Sauce.
Truth. Had it with some chicken strips post debate... not quite as good as my all-time favorite sauce, McDizzles Sweet and Sour, but S&S doesn't work with the seasoning on Chick-fil-A anyway. Also grabbed some grilled nuggets for the extra protein and I paired it with the ranch which is also decent.

Was out of town last week and saw a Culver’s and remembered this thread and tried it. Chicken was ok, good not great, CFA is way better. Also tried a single patty patty melt though and that thing was glorious.

Doom85

Was out of town last week and saw a Culver’s and remembered this thread and tried it. Chicken was ok, good not great, CFA is way better. Also tried a single patty patty melt though and that thing was glorious.

I’ve always felt Culver’s was better at burgers than chicken. Hell, I even slightly prefer their burger over Five Guys (though the latter wins in the fries department).

PUNKem733

The most over rated fast food joint all time. Popeye's is a MUCH, MUCH better. Just speaking on chicken sandwiches. Someone mentioned they treat their employees like fast food workers are treated overseas, well just make sure you're not gay.

SoloCamo

I’ve always felt Culver’s was better at burgers than chicken. Hell, I even slightly prefer their burger over Five Guys (though the latter wins in the fries department).

This, Culvers is best for burgers, chicken is good but nothing special.

DosGamer

Chickfila is on point for the most part, but I have a few issues...

1) those frozen ass biscuits for breakfast need to go. They are never hotter than luke warm and crumble too easy.
2) the wheat buns on the grilled sandwich are pure ass. I dare anybody to eat one without it breaking into a billion pieces. Not to mention it has dry ass oats on top of if, as if it needs to be any more dry. I eat the chicken and use the bun to wipe up any water or drink that may have spilled.
3) the chicken minis have like half a nugget in them, and like 4 pounds of sweat bread.

the common theme is the bread.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Probably some highly addictive additives (other than salt/ MSG). Same reason you have a line around the block for overpriced Starbucks coffee. Other than the sugar and caffeine, it's no better than any other coffee place, and they don't have lines going around the building. Both companies are putting in some shady shit in their products. It's not normal.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
People see something in chick fill aye it’s a different caliber of chicken without it being too expensive it’s an organization that has Sundays off, and ultimately the service is good.

Ugh I want an Everyday Beast coffee table book of quotes so bad. Or like one of those calendars where each day has a different statement. So enlightening :)

I’m with you on this one Slimy, I just don’t get it. I grew up in Florida and it’s always been a thing down there even as a teenager in the early 90s hanging out the Gulfview Square Mall, there was a Chick-fil-A and it even had the cow statue upfront that held the sign that said Eat-mor-chikin.

I now reside in Fairfield county Connecticut and there is one up in Danbury and the line is wrapped around twice at any given time. I understand that it’s a fairly new thing up here in the northeast/New England… but holy shit come on.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Its food tastes good. Thats the only legitimate reason anyone should go to any fast food joint.

They're way overpriced though for what you get but I cant deny how good their stuff is
I agree all these people saying they go because the employees are "fake nice" is just weird. I would chuckle everytime when they'd yell "Have a blessed day you dirty infidel you're going to burn in hell". Funny thing is I'm not an atheist. Lol

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
It's the MSG.

Lines aren't really too bad here but you can get shamed pretty hard for eating Gaybash Chicken here.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
100% customer service

After visiting these for a while, where everyone seems happy and everything is clean, it's hard to even set foot in a typical fast food chain where the employees hate their lives and give attitude at the counter.

They are also insanely efficient at drive-throughs, it's remarkable. If you've ever been at a youth baseball tournament (been to so many of these with our son...) where hundreds of cars are out to grab quick lunch at nearby fast food, you'll immediately value the way Chick-fil-A can route an astonishingly high volume of cars through their line in no time.

Toons

I agree all these people saying they go because the employees are "fake nice" is just weird. I would chuckle everytime when they'd yell "Have a blessed a day you dirty infidel you're going to burn in hell". Funny thing is I'm not an atheist. Lol

Honestly in my area they don't do all that BS. Their service is nice; their food is good but you get what you get. Not particularly religious, no "blessings" etc, which is fine by me. If I want a blessing I'll go to a place of worship.

The only way Christian fast food joint would exist is if they're giving out meals for free or close to it. Otherwise its a corporation.

deathsaber

Its better quality/tasting than the other super common fast-food mainstays (McDonalds, Burger King, Wendys, Arbys, etc), and moreso, the service is 1,000,000x better than all of them- actually good and friendly, even if all the "my pleasures" are insipid, vs. the lethargic apathy bordering on hostility and almost comic ineptitude, combined with disgusting, dirty stores you experience elsewhere. I don't care about the politics of their CEO's, which I don't personally care for, but the restaurants themselves are excellent and well-ran for fast food and serve enjoyable food

Last edited:

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
I remember the posts from before politics becoming verboten. That dude either trained his daughter to flip off the Chick-fil-A or he made it up.

Grabbed a Cobb salad today. Appreciated the friendly service as always, a pox on all you weirdos who want your fast food employees to be grumpy troglodytes.

They gave me a free ice cream cone. Kinda went against the whole salad plan, but what am I gonna do? Say no? (I once rejected a free shake from them and that choice has haunted me ever since)

Top Bottom