• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Please help me understand Space.

Outlier

I'll make it simple.

Space = Nothing between things.

Technically the "Space" we know of isn't absolute, as I described. There is mostly energy travelling between Earth and Sun, so there is something. It's just sparse in comparison to being within our atmosphere.

jason10mm

Gold Member

Folks on that second, red, planet about to get their sun eclipsed by the inner planet...
lR18aTd.jpeg

"Time to save MUH FAMILY!!!"

ia6x1gm.jpeg

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I get that this might make me look incredibly stupid, but while I watch a lot of space videos on youtube, there one thing I simply cant seem to warp my head around:

Is space flat? Can you UP in space?

I understand that the sun bends the fabric of space which makes all the planets circle around the bend so clearly it has a floor. Floor is bent but its there. But what the hell is up there? If all the solar systems are circling a galaxy which have a massive black hole in the middle then is ALL of it flat? When you go to space do you see stars above and below you?

I'm late to this, I think, but there's no up or down in space. It's so unfathomably HUGE that it doesn't matter.

But yes, there are stars and planets all around us. In every direction, relative to where you are on this planet. And there's no real "floor" to space... Even within a solar system.

winjer

Gold Member
Let me confuse you all just a bit more. :messenger_beaming:

Everyone and every object on Earth is being accelerated, at 1G, upwards.
Yes, you read that right, an accelerometer on the surface of the Earth will point up.

Trilobit

Space is three-dimensional, not flat. Lots of sci-fi (and even science programs) try to simplify space for human understanding by showing lots of objects on the same plane, making you think it's flat - because that's what humans are used to living on a flat surface our whole existences.

Well, only until I met my wife, if you know what I mean. :messenger_smirking:

Yes, I am single. :lollipop_crying:

I get that this might make me look incredibly stupid, but while I watch a lot of space videos on youtube, there one thing I simply cant seem to warp my head around:

Is space flat? Can you UP in space?

I understand that the sun bends the fabric of space which makes all the planets circle around the bend so clearly it has a floor. Floor is bent but its there. But what the hell is up there? If all the solar systems are circling a galaxy which have a massive black hole in the middle then is ALL of it flat? When you go to space do you see stars above and below you?

Fucking hell OP. Are you having us on? 😂

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Fucking hell OP. Are you having us on? 😂
Most people don't really question why the orbital plane of the solar system or the disc shape of galaxies exist, why the default perspective of "exiting the solar system" is by flying past Neptune instead of perpendicular to the orbital plane, etc. We also conceptualize our modern understanding of gravity through representing spacetime as a 2d field with depressions in it:

C3pvRgf.jpeg

So I will give him props for paying attention to these things and putting together a model in his head based on it.

BlackTron

That 2D conceptualization of gravity hurts my head. Maybe they should make everyone play Mario Galaxy in science class. There is no up or down, what is up or down "to us" comes from the mass of planets pulling you in, just like how they grab Mario into orbit and exert more pull the closer he gets. Once he runs to the other side of a little planet, a different direction becomes "looking up" to him. He isn't staring towards "the top" of space on one side and "the bottom" from the other. The points of reference come from the things in space acting on each other. If you put a ball in a gym, you can say where it is in reference to the room, and it's always pulled towards the floor. In space the only thing to pull on it or create a reference point is another ball. When the balls start rotating around each other from their pull, it creates a 2D plane. This 2D plane is the drawing of the solar system we all saw growing up that planted the "2D" idea.

If you play Galaxy and do a real good long jump, you can find Mario in a nigh endless orbit around the planet, with enough hangtime and velocity to stay in the air, but without enough gravity to pull him down. This is what the earth is doing around the sun, attracted by gravity and spinning around it (nigh) endlessly. Mario's trajectory around the planet creates a 2D plane in relation to it, but you could have done the same jump while facing 45 degrees in the other direction and the 2D plane would be on a different axis. The analogy being -it all comes from the interaction of objects between each other and nothing else.

Hookshot

Gold Member
Wonder what will be easier in the future? Making sure every ship leaves in a similar orientation or just sticking 100 air locks all over them, because meeting another ship when it's a 3d space and you've left from the other side of the planet so are upside down and horizontal and it is vertical, will a nightmare for pilots and an easy way to crash and kill everyone on both ships.

Most people don't really question why the orbital plane of the solar system or the disc shape of galaxies exist, why the default perspective of "exiting the solar system" is by flying past Neptune instead of perpendicular to the orbital plane, etc. We also conceptualize our modern understanding of gravity through representing spacetime as a 2d field with depressions in it:

C3pvRgf.jpeg

So I will give him props for paying attention to these things and putting together a model in his head based on it.

Not meaning to be a dick but that's a 2 second google search of which is the below result. I was initially thinking maybe the magnetic field of our galaxy but apparently that's weak AF.

Why is our galaxy disk shaped?

Galaxy formation is a highly active area of research, but the basic idea is that disks form because a clump of gas with some initial rotation will have collisions which cancel out off-axis angular momentum flattening the clump. This also explains why our solar system is flat too.1 Mar 2019

Last edited:

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
There is a military version called "Children of a Dead Sun" or something like that and it's Kerbal meets lasers and railguns :p
Dead Earth apparently, yeah looks pretty cool. Name makes it sound like a prequel to Sins of a Solar Empire... which is another game I've always wanted to dive deep on but just seems like such a huge time commitment. Anyway, wishlisted Children of a Dead Earth for next time it hits that 90% Steam discount.

I assume it doesn't have the whole 'making it from the surface to orbit' thing that KSP has though. Independently figuring out the Hohmann transfer orbit and eventually landing on Duna with my atrophied Physics 101 knowledge was immensely satisfying... not to mention the entertainment of the countless failed launches along the way.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Dead Earth apparently, yeah looks pretty cool. Name makes it sound like a prequel to Sins of a Solar Empire... which is another game I've always wanted to dive deep on but just seems like such a huge time commitment. Anyway, wishlisted Children of a Dead Earth for next time it hits that 90% Steam discount.

I assume it doesn't have the whole 'making it from the surface to orbit' thing that KSP has though. Independently figuring out the Hohmann transfer orbit and eventually landing on Duna with my atrophied Physics 101 knowledge was immensely satisfying... not to mention the entertainment of the countless failed launches along the way.
It's been a while since I've played it but it was a DEEP dive into the creators theory of space combat with diamond plated wedge shaped ships being the optimal form for combat. It has a full newtonian physics movement system so most of my fights were "hit thrust...crap over shot, try to spin, wait incoming fire...I'm dead...." type stuff :p

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
It's been a while since I've played it but it was a DEEP dive into the creators theory of space combat with diamond plated wedge shaped ships being the optimal form for combat. It has a full newtonian physics movement system so most of my fights were "hit thrust...crap over shot, try to spin, wait incoming fire...I'm dead...." type stuff :p
Prompted a random thought, most space games I've played in my life have worse physics than Asteroids:
asteroids-atari.gif

Top Bottom