• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

What's GB/GBA emulation like? I need some more emulator action.
Dunno about GB, but GBA works decently well. mGBA and gpSP core for RetroArch are the main emulators. There's stuttering and occasional frame drops in most games, but gpSP's dynamic recompiler (dynarec) really works wonders with that.

I was planning on copying over some vita games from my ps3 to vita using qcma. It's my first time doing this and I'm trying to stay on 3.60 even though I'm not homebrew enabled

The message says: "If there are later versions of some applications, their update files will be downloaded."

When I try to copy some games, there is a prompt to allow for updating? Is it okay to allow this? I canceled any of these games from copying to be safe.

Bladelaw

Is there a list of games that require Vita 3.61 or greater? Given Sony dropping first party game support for the Vita I want to make sure I'm not missing out on anything before going through the install procedure since it looks like the only way I'll be able to get more games on the system.

Mendrox

Is there a list of games that require Vita 3.61 or greater? Given Sony dropping first party game support for the Vita I want to make sure I'm not missing out on anything before going through the install procedure since it looks like the only way I'll be able to get more games on the system.

I think every games since October needs 3.61

Not that I know of, but I think you can cross off pretty much any game that released after last November or thereabouts (S;G 0 released then and required 3.61).

That said, I'd recommend you hold off for a little while. We might get another PSN spoof.

i just want psn back so i can still buy, download and remote play games again

You can still remote play on 3.6 Firmware, at least with a Direct Connection or one on your own network. You need to spoof the Firmware Version, and setup your PS4 as a new connection.

But you can at least still play Remote Play while within your own home. I just got mine setup and working this weekend.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Wololo posted an article detailing all this F00D stuff in more layman terms:

What is F00D?
F00D is considered to be the “level 0” of the PS Vita security chain. Security checks on FOOD happen before other systems are even accessed. It is believed that exploiting F00D could lead to a permanent hack, that possibly couldn’t be patched without a hardware upgrade of the PS Vita.

The real meat of the article is blog writer speculating that despite the repo description the code released now is not really a hack yet and more of something to play with f00d, either a simulator or client of its protocol. This... basically doesn't promise anything worthwhile to users until further developments if it turns out to be true.

Joey Ravn

Banned
The real meat of the article is blog writer speculating that despite the repo description the code released now is not really a hack yet and more of something to play with f00d, either a simulator or client of its protocol. This... basically doesn't promise anything worthwhile to users until further developments if it turns out to be true.

Of course. That's what everyone's been doing: speculating. Given what is known about F00D, it's not outside of the realm of possibility to have a permanent custom firmware that doesn't require to be loaded every time and which also can be updated, or that PSN access can be restored by "faking" the OS version. But as it happened when HENkaku was originally released, this new exploit only opens the door for all those possibilities. Whether they materialize into something worthy for the end-user depends exclusively of the homebrew devs and their work to implement these features.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
You can still remote play on 3.6 Firmware, at least with a Direct Connection or one on your own network. You need to spoof the Firmware Version, and setup your PS4 as a new connection.

But you can at least still play Remote Play while within your own home. I just got mine setup and working this weekend.
How do you spoof lately? I'm using Ethernet through powerline adapters so it's technically a hard connection, but didn't work.

Lime

How do you spoof lately? I'm using Ethernet through powerline adapters so it's technically a hard connection, but didn't work.

Spoof option is in VitaShell settings when pressing Start within the program.

Spoofing no longer works though with a direct line to PSN. But Remote Play works fine with local area network and direct connection.

Taruranto

Every time the thread get bumped I hope for 3.61+ games on henkaku. :(

I hope Caligula will be playable by then, it's the one that interests me the most.

tensuke

Oh shiiit.

Can we ever expect DS emulation?

Well there is a port of desmume already. Although most DS emulators are written for desktop PCs that can brute force emulation in software, a luxury that mobile devices don't have. That's why emulation has been generally poor on android for a while, although faster CPUs and more developer support have really helped recently. There's also an emulator like DraStic, written for the ground up for ARM devices (largely the OpenPandora, whose SoC is relatively weak nowadays) and runs fantastically on most phones now. Unfortunately I don't believe Vita will see a port of DraStic anytime soon (if ever) as Exophase doesn't appear interested in porting it. If we can get enough developers interested in getting a DS emulator running on Vita's hardware (or even just one focused dev), it may be possible in the future, but that's all up in the air.

The screen "issue" has never really been an issue on any platform given how small the DS screen resolution is, it's relatively simple to scale them to fit within whatever window you want, or add different viewing modes like one at a time, side-by-side, etc.

Guys, I'm having huge issues trying to use the Offline Installer for henkaku, it's just erroring on me instantly, it doesn't even try to begin the exploit. I've been using the ANDROID henkaku server (to save actually going online with my PSN account doing this), could that be why the offline installer isn't working?

Lime

Guys, I'm having huge issues trying to use the Offline Installer for henkaku, it's just erroring on me instantly, it doesn't even try to begin the exploit. I've been using the ANDROID henkaku server (to save actually going online with my PSN account doing this), could that be why the offline installer isn't working?

Try turning it off and on and then run the Offline installer?

Shaneus

I'd also try clearing out your email app completely (I think the offline installer can do this) and try it again. I successfully used SwitchKaKu yesterday, but made sure I'd done that first.

Also make sure you've opened the email app at least once so it creates the necessary files it has to modify for the offline exploit to work.

I'd also try clearing out your email app completely (I think the offline installer can do this) and try it again. I successfully used SwitchKaKu yesterday, but made sure I'd done that first.

Also make sure you've opened the email app at least once so it creates the necessary files it has to modify for the offline exploit to work.

On top of that try changing when you actually tap on the email, if you wait until the Email app is finished loading everything tap early, if you normally interrupt it let it load everything first. I know I've had better luck with one than the other but I can never remember which if I haven't used it in a couple of weeks which is irritating.

Ok good shout, I have had an email account in there set up from previous use so I know I've been in there before, but hadn't cleared that away.. Maybe that's an issue. Do I need to clear any other files manually from the Email app in order to sort a completely clean install?

On top of that try changing when you actually tap on the email, if you wait until the Email app is finished loading everything tap early, if you normally interrupt it let it load everything first. I know I've had better luck with one than the other but I can never remember which if I haven't used it in a couple of weeks which is irritating.

Yeah I wondered about that too, it doesn't seem to matter if I do it straight away, wait for the swirl to stop, 5 seconds or even 10 seconds, it just instantly comes up with an error. Like it doesn't even begin to load or anything like shown in other videos which is a concern - and again leads me to wonder if it's my set up.

I'm using Android Henkaku server (the latest) and vitashell 1.51, are they not compatible with the OfflineInstaller? The email exploit doesn't seem to have been touched since AUGUST?!

when are improved native emulators usings Vitas GPU coming out?

wasnt there a breakthrough that can allow more native power to be used a few months back?

is anyone updating native emulators?

when are improved native emulators usings Vitas GPU coming out?

wasnt there a breakthrough that can allow more native power to be used a few months back?

is anyone updating native emulators?

rewriting an emulator to use different hardware isn't exactly an afternoon's work.

I'd like to let you guys know I solved my issue, I updated online in the end using the browser exploit, the 'offline installer' email exploit does NOT work if you are just using the android server app - you NEED to go online to get the very latest henkaku.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Spoof option is in VitaShell settings when pressing Start within the program.

Spoofing no longer works though with a direct line to PSN. But Remote Play works fine with local area network and direct connection.
Remote play has been confusing to me the past few days. When I tried with a power line ethernet connection a while ago, it said I needed to update. So I try again yesterday, and it just works. For a few days actually, perfect connections. Now I'm trying today and we're back to "you must update". What let me use it before?

I'd like to let you guys know I solved my issue, I updated online in the end using the browser exploit, the 'offline installer' email exploit does NOT work if you are just using the android server app - you NEED to go online to get the very latest henkaku.

Offline installer is not compatible with molecular shell if is not version 1.43.

If you have Vitashell as a standalone bubble, you can have that bubble running 1.51 and still use the offline installer.

linkboy

I just picked up slim and I'm trying to get it setup for Adrenaline.

I've got henkaku installed perfectly fine. The issue I'm running into is when I try to copy PSP a game from my PS3 over to my Vita.

I went through where the Vita asks if I want to use my credentials from the PS3 and everything seemed to work.

However, when I try to copy anything over, I get a np-8035-6 error. Anyone know a way to fix it?

linkboy

What's the best way to get PS1 games that can't be transfered from the PS3 over to a 3.60 Vita. I'm trying to get my PSN copy of Suikoden 2 over to my Vita and everything I'm trying is failing. I have a PSTV on 3.63 and I've tried the following,

Used memcardswap to disable the firmware requirement on the card, downloaded the game on my PSTV, won't show up on my Vita slim (but adrenaline sees it)

Used QCMA to backup the game on my PSTV to my laptop, but I'm getting a could not copy the following content, the data is corrupt. Download the application or add-on data again.

Its really frustrating.

edit

Got it figured out.

Has Retroarch been updated to become more stable lately? I haven't updated mine since October since I'm still stuck with a 4GB card. The SNES and GBA emulation was still a bit lacking the last time I tried.

Top Bottom