• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Henry Kissinger dead at 100.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Kissinger was not a uniquely bad apple amidst a group of highly scrupulous ethicists. The rest of the governments he was part of, and the American body politic electing them, to a large extent, approved of what he was doing. He was willing to do literally any act to make America win, and win America did, and today progressive Americans call him a war criminal from a position of unparalleled prosperity on the world stage. How much wealth would you, personally, sacrifice to hold the moral high ground? Would you sacrifice it all?

Indeed, that cunt was in bed with both Republican and Democrat administrations. Notably, he was Nixon's Secretary of Defense when he authorised the extensive and indiscriminate bombing of my wife's home country, an action that paved the way for Pol Pot's rise and the subsequent mass killings. The devastation in Cambodia was immense, with millions maimed and killed, while the USA stood by and watched and Kissinger himself living a long and comfortable life. The Cambodian people endured horrific suffering under the Khmer Rouge for almost five years, until the Vietnamese military fucking had enough and intervened, overthrowing the regime. If there was true justice and karma and all that cosmic balance shit, someone or something should have ended that cunt a long time ago.

Yoboman

Kissinger was not a uniquely bad apple amidst a group of highly scrupulous ethicists. The rest of the governments he was part of, and the American body politic electing them, to a large extent, approved of what he was doing. He was willing to do literally any act to make America win, and win America did, and today progressive Americans call him a war criminal from a position of unparalleled prosperity on the world stage. How much wealth would you, personally, sacrifice to hold the moral high ground? Would you sacrifice it all?
Attributing American prosperity to Henry Kissinger certainly is a new one

Majormaxxx

Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
Yes, but the American international policy makers and their Western "partners" (not really partners anymore) have the audacity to use the laughable pretexts of morality, democracy, human rights, international law etc. to justify their power grabs domestically and abroad to us.

There is no morality if you carpet bomb, atom bomb, napalm bomb hundreds of thousands and millions to further your interests...

There is no democracy if you instate a murderous genocidal government like Pinochet's in Chile in order to protect your interests in the Americas.

There're no human rights for the side in the conflict that is opposing you.

There is no international law for your citizens when you don't accept the rulings of the International Criminal Court, block the UN etc.. and make prosecution by the ICC illegal by law.

Heinz Kissinger unleashed the unspeakable evil he experienced in pre-WW2 Germany as a child on the whole non-American world as an adult. Kissinger was and is the embodiment of the US international policy making. Coldblooded, calculated greed and evil, disguised with moral fabrications.

This tradition of course continued with Raegan, Bush 1-2, Cheney, Nuland, Albright (“We have heard that half a million [Iraqi] children have died. I mean, that is more children than died in Hiroshima,” asked Stahl, “And, you know, is the price worth it?” “I think that is a very hard choice,” Albright answered, “but the price, we think, the price is worth it.”), Obama (with his laughable peace prize while unleashing hell on Yemen), Blinken etc. all of them...

To the poster above with the comment about PERSONAL wealth. How much more stuff do you need if it means the other 3/4 of the planet pays for it with hunger and death.

Cyberpunkd

Yes, but the American international policy makers and their Western "partners" (not really partners anymore) have the audacity to use the laughable pretexts of morality, democracy, human rights, international law etc. to justify their power grabs domestically and abroad to us.
The way I think about it is like I think about corporate America: people will say anything, and defend anything even if it doesn't have basis in the real world. There is that lack of neural connection between saying something and brain rebelling by thinking how ridiculous that statement is.

BlueAlpaca

There is no morality if you carpet bomb, atom bomb, napalm bomb hundreds of thousands and millions to further your interests...

There is no democracy if you instate a murderous genocidal government like Pinochet's in Chile in order to protect your interests in the Americas.

There're no human rights for the side in the conflict that is opposing you.

There is no international law for your citizens when you don't accept the rulings of the International Criminal Court, block the UN etc.. and make prosecution by the ICC illegal by law.

Heinz Kissinger unleashed the unspeakable evil he experienced in pre-WW2 Germany as a child on the whole non-American world as an adult. Kissinger was and is the embodiment of the US international policy making. Coldblooded, calculated greed and evil, disguised with moral fabrications.

This tradition of course continued with Raegan, Bush 1-2, Cheney, Nuland, Albright (“We have heard that half a million [Iraqi] children have died. I mean, that is more children than died in Hiroshima,” asked Stahl, “And, you know, is the price worth it?” “I think that is a very hard choice,” Albright answered, “but the price, we think, the price is worth it.”), Obama (with his laughable peace prize while unleashing hell on Yemen), Blinken etc. all of them...

To the poster above with the comment about PERSONAL wealth. How much more stuff do you need if it means the other 3/4 of the planet pays for it with hunger and death.

And despite this America's enemies of all kinds are all still infinitely worse - totalitarian filth.

If you recognize this then your outrage at Kissinger/US is genuine and moral, and there's plenty deserving of strong and unqualified condemnation. Though I wonder how different history would turn out and how clean your hands would be if you were in power.

If not, your denunciation has no legitimacy whatsoever and you are a greater evil than Kissinger.

Majormaxxx

And despite this America's enemies of all kinds are all still infinitely worse - totalitarian filth.

If you recognize this then your outrage at Kissinger/US is genuine and moral, and there's plenty deserving of strong and unqualified condemnation. Though I wonder how different history would turn out and how clean your hands would be if you were in power.

If not, your denunciation has no legitimacy whatsoever and you are a greater evil than Kissinger.
The people of Chile or Cambodia were not totalitarian filth. The Iraqi children or the peaceful civilians in Libya affected by Kissinger's heirs were not either.

BlueAlpaca

The people of Chile or Cambodia were not totalitarian filth. The Iraqi children or the peaceful civilians in Libya affected by Kissinger's heirs were not either.

Enemies refers to ideologies of groups or governments opposed to the US, not children or civilians.

The vast majority of people happy with Kissinger's death support or condone much worse.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I would say Americans when they speak of countries they are not speaking of the people, they are speaking of the leaders. We don't hate Iran and the people of Iran don't hate us, but their government sure does.

dave_d

Pretty much. Admittedly I mostly find it hugely ironic that a guy like Bourdain could complain about it because Kissinger helped over throw a dictator and the unintended results of this eventually turned Cambodia into a complete shit show but then sit across from Obama who helped over throw a dictator which eventually turned Libya into a complete shit show.(I hear they have slavery there now) Right, and I'm sure Tony really had to work hard to choke down that bowl of pho.

DKehoe

Pretty much. Admittedly I mostly find it hugely ironic that a guy like Bourdain could complain about it because Kissinger helped over throw a dictator and the unintended results of this eventually turned Cambodia into a complete shit show but then sit across from Obama who helped over throw a dictator which eventually turned Libya into a complete shit show.(I hear they have slavery there now) Right, and I'm sure Tony really had to work hard to choke down that bowl of pho.
g6bNSdp.png

Stop stunting on these fools

Toons

What wealth? What prosperity? 99% of Americans don't have any significant wealth. A large portion live below the poverty line. All of those spoils from kissingers acts of evil went to the elite, where they remain to this day, and when those elite go, its going to their spoiled kids who did nothing to earn it, who are most likely not going to do any good with it but continue in the steps of their forefathers.

The real question is are you willing to sacrifice THEIR wealth for the moral high ground.

And the answer, is that the moral high ground doesn't have a price, but sacrificing your morality FOR wealth does. And I'm not willing to pay THAT.

Last edited:

Blade2.0

Doesn't this just prove/show that our government officials aren't actually representatives of their constituents? A lot of us would decrease our wealth for moral high ground. Many people actively do.

Last edited:

chlorate

What wealth? What prosperity? 99% of Americans don't have any significant wealth. A large portion live below the poverty line. All of those spoils from kissingers acts of evil went to the elite, where they remain to this day, and when those elite go, its going to their spoiled kids who did nothing to earn it, who are most likely not going to do any good with it but continue in the steps of their forefathers.

The real question is are you willing to sacrifice THEIR wealth for the moral high ground.

And the answer, is that the moral high ground doesn't have a price, but sacrificing your morality FOR wealth does. And I'm not willing to pay THAT.

The global 1% in terms of income are making $60k/year, as per this quaint calculator no doubt made by some well-intentioned charity.

Of course, because of purchasing power parity, this doesn’t sound very impressive, but your average American absolutely lives a life of plenty compared to those kids in the Global South collecting rainwater in a bomb crater to drink. Kissinger’s mantra was “I will make my people safe even if it entails making your people unsafe in the process” and he was talented enough to do that- and his less skilled Soviet counterparts were happy to make as many Americans unsafe as needed to make the Soviet Union win. But, they lost, and Kissinger won, and the Soviet sphere of influence was plundered. This is the grim amoral abyss of nuclear statecraft in a world where people will steal the bread out of your mouth.

Majormaxxx

Doesn't this just prove/show that our government officials aren't actually representatives of their constituents? A lot of us would decrease our wealth for moral high ground. Many people actively do.
Our government representatives defend the interests of lobbyists etc...

Red5

Only thing that sucks is that he died of natural causes. Bastard deserves much worse, from Latin America to South Asia to the Middle East, the Dictatorships, Juntas and policies he pushed for killed millions.

Majormaxxx

Only thing that sucks is that he died of natural causes. Bastard deserves much worse, from Latin America to South Asia to the Middle East, the Dictatorships, Juntas and policies he pushed for killed millions.
Unfortunately he won. Lived a full, successful, extremely long life. At least if there's afterlife, he'll for sure be judged there... Here all we can do is share the truth about his murderous legacy. People who are not interested in reading or research consider him just a fantastic diplomat.

Winter John

Did you ever share cab rides with ”Tony” to score up on 125th? No? Well, shut the fuck up

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
All that andrenachrome couldn't save his neck shot worthy "life". Oh well next in line is already decades busy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom