• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hero Academy |OT| free iPhone MP strategy game from Orcs Must Die/Age of Empires devs

mercviper

Oy, I think I'm done going for Crystals. I have two games I'm going to lose with the opponent at 3% Crystal Level

FUCK THAT MAYNE.

I did rock this awesome move where Mercviper had a fully buffed knight right standing on the crystal in front of my Power Shot Shotgun Dude so I hopped over him then hopped over a healer and killed his Ninja.

I guess you had to see it, but omg I really loled watching it.

I'm scared to check my games now.

Was talking to PepBoy about this (fear his council team) and I've come to the conclusion that the Tribe is not as overpowered as I initially thought. I beat the absolute shit out of a few random players with them right when the team came out, and got the idea that they are just beast-level awesome. But as soon as I started playing my friends with them, I started to realize that they have absolute shit in terms of defense.

Some of their units have a base resistance to physical/magic, but other than that they have nothing in the way of defense. They only have one type of armor, and it doesn't increase defensive stats at all. It adds 10% health, and deals back 1/3 damage. So it's basically useless against the Dark Elves since they leech health when they attack. I feel like the Tribe is more about board control (especially with the tidal wave and the ability for the chieftan to suck in units) now.

Sotha Sil

Was talking to PepBoy about this (fear his council team) and I've come to the conclusion that the Tribe is not as overpowered as I initially thought. I beat the absolute shit out of a few random players with them right when the team came out, and got the idea that they are just beast-level awesome. But as soon as I started playing my friends with them, I started to realize that they have absolute shit in terms of defense.

Some of their units have a base resistance to physical/magic, but other than that they have nothing in the way of defense. They only have one type of armor, and it doesn't increase defensive stats at all. It adds 10% health, and deals back 1/3 damage. So it's basically useless against the Dark Elves since they leech health when they attack. I feel like the Tribe is more about board control (especially with the tidal wave and the ability for the chieftan to suck in units) now.

Well put! The Tribe is extremely vulnerable, but numerous. The key here is to take out upgraded/important units (healers...) as soon as possible, through suicide attacks if need be. Problem is, the element of surprise doesn't always work against good players; they hide behind crystals and tend to anticipate the Wave. But when it does, you can ravage a whole battlefield with a chieftain and a witch.

Started playing this last night and have no idea what I'm doing but having fun. Kinda wish I could just buy all teams for $5 or something rather than micro transactions. Just sticking with the Council for now while I learn. Also, wish I could play AI but I'm sure that's been covered here. :)

My username is Keeb if anyone would like some easy wins!

Sotha Sil

Started playing this last night and have no idea what I'm doing but having fun. Kinda wish I could just buy all teams for $5 or something rather than micro transactions. Just sticking with the Council for now while I learn. Also, wish I could play AI but I'm sure that's been covered here. :)

My username is Keeb if anyone would like some easy wins!

I'll invite you later and give you a few pointers if you want! It's really one of those "simple yet subtle mechanics" kind of game, so the learning curve is pretty steep.

Every time I open the game now to make my move, I hear things happening and the screen just sits there unresponsive on the playfield. Have to force quit and restart.

Every time I open the game now to make my move, I hear things happening and the screen just sits there unresponsive on the playfield. Have to force quit and restart.

The same, it's really time consuming and frustrating, on top of the long loads to get to the games and the ads in between. Just got the game today, so I'm still learning things, but I guess buying the teams gets rid of the ads? Which team is recommended?

Guys any advice on playing against dwarfs? I get my bottom handed to me all the time :(
Oh and I have all the races except for Tribe.

I always end up reacting to other player moves and being on defensive while he rapes my units with AOE. I tried playing aggressively but ended up loosing that one as well :/

So any advice is greatly appreciated

Sotha Sil

Guys any advice on playing against dwarfs? I get my bottom handed to me all the time :(

I always end up reacting to other player moves and being on defensive while he rapes my units with AOE. I tried playing aggressively but ended up loosing that one as well :/

The dwarves have two major weaknesses. They can't resurrect their units through items, and they can't stomp enemies through items/ranged casters. You should take advantage of these. If you knock down a dwarf unit away from its paladin, don't stomp it: your adversary may leave it to die or, even better, expose his healer to try and save it. Which leads to my second point: if you see an opportunity to kill a healer, do it, even if it means sacrificing a minor unit. Once the healers are gone, the dwarves are done. Don't let your opponent turtle up, and hide the paladins behind bubbles and armor. Rush them.

Good luck!

CzarTim

Try to spread out your units to curb their AOE damage.

Pepboy

After honoring me with his/her loss as DE, Sothasil brought out the Council and gave me the defeat I was looking for, breaking my record!

That being said, many of the games against fellow GAFmates were close. Off the top of my head, Squirrel_Killer, Anilones, Smiley90, and StrikerObi had me against the ropes at various points. I'm sure there were others as well.

Now that SothaSil has made me eat dirt, I am going to put this game down for a bit. I will finish all my outstanding games, of course. I'll probably pick it up again once a new team is created / older teams go on sale.

Thank you everyone for a great set of matches!

Sotha Sil

After honoring me with his/her loss as DE, Sothasil brought out the Council and gave me the defeat I was looking for, breaking my record!

That being said, many of the games against fellow GAFmates were close. Off the top of my head, Squirrel_Killer, Anilones, Smiley90, and StrikerObi had me against the ropes at various points. I'm sure there were others as well.

Now that SothaSil has made me eat dirt, I am going to put this game down for a bit. I will finish all my outstanding games, of course. I'll probably pick it up again once a new team is created / older teams go on sale.

Thank you everyone for a great set of matches!

That's too bad, you're definitely one of the best GAFfer around along with Tangerous. Always up for a game when you feel like it!

Well I think I'm either way too late to the party on this game or the Council just isn't good enough. In a couple different games I'm getting absolutely destroyed. In one, a Wraith has wrecked havoc on basically my entire team. I don't have anything strong enough to kill it, only injure it. So then it kills my guys in 1 turn and recovers it's own health in the process. It sounds pathetic but it seems almost unfair.

In another I'm playing against Dwarves and they have an Annihilator being healed by 2 paladins that has destroyed most of my team. Just took out 3 of my guys in one shot and it's being protected by an Engineer.

I quit another game yesterday against Tribes where some Shamans were healing like 3 guys at a time and I just couldn't make up any ground. Got down to like 1 or 2 of my guys before I just resigned.

I feel like I've walked into the Starcraft 2 championships after having never played the game.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Apparently ALL teams will go on a 50% sale this weekend! so .99 per team. Good if you still need to stock up. :)

Yeah I've been hooked, but the damn load times going into and out of games is horrendous. And if not that, some games will hang for 10 or so seconds, or just crash until I quit the app and reboot it. Submitting also takes pretty long. This is all on the iPhone 4. Are any of the devs in this thread? I really they're looking into this.

Jako

Hey guys, I'm taking a break from HA. It's been fun, I'll probably come back with the next patch!

I will rematch everyone when I come back!

I haven't played in a while, but i got back into it today. I saw a board with teleporters. Must change things with respect to strategy. Can't wait to check it out.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
No sir! You're the most responsive player on my list of about 10 games. :)

Besides, I'm discovering you can only learn this game by playing it!
Ha well, I don't feel too bad about that last game against you as it was the first time I'd use dwarves. I still don't feel like I've quite "clicked" with the game yet.

I'd be even more responsive if I was playing on an iPhone instead of an iPod touch.

CzarTim

Ha well, I don't feel too bad about that last game against you as it was the first time I'd use dwarves. I still don't feel like I've quite "clicked" with the game yet.

I'd be even more responsive if I was playing on an iPhone instead of an iPod touch.

Keep playing with each team so you know how each functions. Then stick with your favorite.

I've only had the game about a week now but so far I think the Tribe is my favorite to play with. The Dark Elves seem to have the highest learning curve.

Just finished a great game with Pepboy. I think it's the first time I've beaten him, and we've played 3 or 4 games. It was down to the wire, but I squeaked out a win with the dwarves thanks to their ability to turtle quite well. If you're looking to practice against the council, Pepboy will definitely give you some good fights.

Sotha Sil

Feel free to invite me, dear GAFfers! I'm playing on random these days, and I'm a quite sucky Tribe player. Always fun to practice!

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I'm getting an iPhone within the next month. Instead of just playing at home on my Touch I'll be able to play anywhere. Oh great, it's not like this game isn't already a big distraction.

colinp

Banned
There's been no talk of a new Heroic Team, right? Getting itchy for a new team...

I'm glad they give taunts now. Wonder if anybody ever bought any, hah.

Sotha Sil

Welcome back, Benjamin!

The challenges are really fun; the last few Council ones took me a little while.

Can't wait for the new team, though. I guess it must be horribly difficult to balance them all.

Sotha Sil

There's already a thread about it on the gaming side, but might as well post it here:

Robot Entertainment has announced that their critically acclaimed mobile strategy game, Hero Academy, is coming to Steam on August 8, 2012. Players who purchase the game on Steam will unlock an exclusive new heroic team featuring the mercenaries from Valve Corporation’s wildly popular Team Fortress 2. Additionally, each heroic expansion team purchased in Hero Academy on Steam will unlock a unique cosmetic item in Team Fortress 2.

Blending classic tactics gaming with the fast-paced action of modern casual titles, Hero Academy delivers tense one-on-one battles with quick bursts of gameplay. The balance of power can shift in a single turn, and victory requires a carefully crafted strategy. Deploy different character classes, defend your turf with countermeasures, and with the placement of a few special items, you’ll conquer your opponent.

“Working with Valve on this major franchise and bringing their popular characters into our world is groundbreaking in the world of gaming. It marks the first time we’ve seen a major crossover of characters from the PC to mobile devices and from the first-person shooter genre to turned-based strategy,” said Robot Entertainment CEO Patrick Hudson. “It’s a great testament to Valve as a visionary partner and their passion for giving gamers what they want.”

Cool news.

Top Bottom