• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hero Academy |OT| free iPhone MP strategy game from Orcs Must Die/Age of Empires devs

I'm probably off the game until/unless there's another way to get that TF2 team. It's really unconscionable to cut off content from players who have supported the game from practically Day 1 just because they don't have a PC.

Well, the Twitter account talked me down from my ledge, saying they're looking into other options to get the team but they have nothing to announce at this time. So I'm holding out hope.

Sotha Sil

Well, the Twitter account talked me down from my ledge, saying they're looking into other options to get the team but they have nothing to announce at this time. So I'm holding out hope.

Is there no way to buy it on somebody else's PC and link the team to your iOS version? Not getting the new team would indeed suck :/

Cool news but I agree that if it's only available through Steam, that's really lame. Just reeks of retailer-exclusive DLC finding it's way into the digital space. Gross.

I can see why you guys are upset about this but from the devs perspective it makes sense. They will profit immensely from this promotion and it's not surprising that this'll only be available through Steam since they're actually using Valve properties.

Sotha Sil

I can see why you guys are upset about this but from the devs perspective it makes sense. They will profit immensely from this promotion and it's not surprising that this'll only be available through Steam since they're actually using Valve properties.

Yeah, I really hope Mac users will get to use the new team, but I'm definitely happy about this. The game deserves it.

Yeah, I really hope Mac users will get to use the new team, but I'm definitely happy about this. The game deserves it.

Agreed. It's kind of bullshit that they are not releasing a Mac version of a game that started on an Apple product.

I may pay for my lone PC owning friend to get a copy of the Steam version and link to my game to I can use the TF2 team. I think it's a great idea to add them, and I don't even like TF2.

Naka

That's really moronic if Mac users can't get the team. Really hope they figure something out as that's just poor form.

Yeah I kind of agree. I can't imagine it would be that hard to port an existing iOS game to Mac considering most Mac apps use Objective-C natively. It seems like it would be harder to port to Windows, but what do I know.

Vaguely OT, but y'all are my Async iOS family, so I'd love to carry over the community to this game, Outwitters finally came out. Installing now, but I'll see if there's game specific GTs or what.

Care to give us some info on what the game is?

There's a lot of discussion on it in the iPod Gaming thread but yeah, it's basically HA meets Starcraft. Less variety in class types and different team details, but it seems to move quicker. I unno. I still like HA way more, but it's definitely a fun game worth pursuing. I mainly just wanted to bring it up here so some people check it out and we could build a community for it, but the regular iPod thread seems to be doing the trick.

Naka

There's a lot of discussion on it in the iPod Gaming thread but yeah, it's basically HA meets Starcraft. Less variety in class types and different team details, but it seems to move quicker. I unno. I still like HA way more, but it's definitely a fun game worth pursuing. I mainly just wanted to bring it up here so some people check it out and we could build a community for it, but the regular iPod thread seems to be doing the trick.

Sounds fun, I will give it a download and check it out.

I've started 3 games in Outwitters and no one has taken their turn in any of them after like 3 days so I just deleted it. It was too scrunched down on the iPhone screen anyway and felt clunky.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Yeah, not feeling Outwitters at all.

same. took a few turns, put it away. not mine at all. Been addicted to Summoner Wars though and neglecting my HA turns, sorry :/ Everyone needs to get Summoner Wars, I'd vote it best iOS game I own, or at least top5. Hands down. So addicting and shitloads of fun in multiplayer.

CzarTim

same. took a few turns, put it away. not mine at all. Been addicted to Summoner Wars though and neglecting my HA turns, sorry :/ Everyone needs to get Summoner Wars, I'd vote it best iOS game I own, or at least top5. Hands down. So addicting and shitloads of fun in multiplayer.

truth

Well I guess I don't need to play outwitters now. Thanks guy.

Edit: Speaking of football news. FSU cornerback Greg Reid arrested last night by Georgia State Patrol for possession of marijuana and driving with a suspended license.

Fucking idiot. He's always been a loose cannon though, so I shouldn't be surprised. Kid is a dynamite return man, but he's a bit overrated as a CB in my opinion (he's good, but not great).

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I find it really intimidating, but I will give it a shot sometime. Also, make a move, it's been three days! :p

Now that I've played quite a few games, I'd say these are my favorite and least favorite units from each team, not counting the Super units:

Favorites:
Wizard - Chain lightning is one of the best attributes in the game.
Void Monk - Splash damage + default 20% resistance to magic and added 20% defense + life leech makes it one of the best (if not the best) units in the game.
Grenadier - Despite having 100 less attack, the range edges out the gunner. AOE is larger too I believe.
Warrior - If the Axe Thrower could attack from three tiles away it would be my first choice. Getting units health down to 50% isn't typically that's hard, it's killing them that can be troublesome. The Warrior alleviates this problem.

Least Favorites:
Knight - Knocking back enemies is more annoying than helpful. The Impaler ability to pull forward is superior, although that has more to do with range.
Necromancer - The worst caster in the game. Phantoms are a minor annoyance compared to chain lightning, AOE attack and the explosion of dead corpses.
Engineer - Like the Necromancer the shield is a minor annoyance.
Witch/Shaman - I don't think either is particularly bad, just not great.

I mostly agree with those except I think the Engineer's shield is incredibly useful. I have so much freaking trouble against those shields. It so often means the difference between knocking someone out/killing and them remaining standing to then knock ME out.

I find it really intimidating, but I will give it a shot sometime. Also, make a move, it's been three days! :p

Now that I've played quite a few games, I'd say these are my favorite and least favorite units from each team, not counting the Super units:

Favorites:
Wizard - Chain lightning is one of the best attributes in the game.
Void Monk - Splash damage + default 20% resistance to magic and added 20% defense + life leech makes it one of the best (if not the best) units in the game.
Grenadier - Despite having 100 less attack, the range edges out the gunner. AOE is larger too I believe.
Warrior - If the Axe Thrower could attack from three tiles away it would be my first choice. Getting units health down to 50% isn't typically that's hard, it's killing them that can be troublesome. The Warrior alleviates this problem.

Least Favorites:
Knight - Knocking back enemies is more annoying than helpful. The Impaler ability to pull forward is superior, although that has more to do with range.
Necromancer - The worst caster in the game. Phantoms are a minor annoyance compared to chain lightning, AOE attack and the explosion of dead corpses.
Engineer - Like the Necromancer the shield is a minor annoyance.
Witch/Shaman - I don't think either is particularly bad, just not great.

Listen to the man. Dude is DEMOLISHING me with a Sworded Grenadier sitting on a Sword Square. Drops Scroll Attacks every time.

(I think that's you. I may be misremembering.)

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I mostly agree with those except I think the Engineer's shield is incredibly useful. I have so much freaking trouble against those shields. It so often means the difference between knocking someone out/killing and them remaining standing to then knock ME out.
See I never experience that. You do lose one turn out of it, but it rarely ever prevents a death. Most of the time my opponents will ignore the unit with a shield unless I put them on the front lines. The benefits aren't apparent and typically I don't feel the need to ignore enemies with shields.
Listen to the man. Dude is DEMOLISHING me with a Sworded Grenadier sitting on a Sword Square. Drops Scroll Attacks every time.

(I think that's you. I may be misremembering.)
KidInsomnia? If so, yes. 20% bonus from premium square + sword + three tile AOE is a dangerous combo.

Sotha Sil

New details about the TF2 team:

SPY
Cloaked unit who is not targetable at range. Deals massive damage from behind.

SCOUT
Fast-moving recon hero; gain an AP when deployed. Automatically hops back when hit.

SNIPER
Can target enemies anywhere in his row. Crouches at the end of turn; crouched attacks are at increased power.

MEDIC
Heals and revives allies; can link to a full-health ally to increase their power.

ENGINEER
Defensive hero with a basic ranged attack. Upgrades allies' weapons.

HEAVY
AOE attack at range. Every successive attack deals more damage as his minigun spins up.

PYRO
Does full damage to two enemies in a row; attack can hit cloaked units.

DEMOMAN
Lobs grenades that do AOE damage. Bonus damage against crystals.

SOLDIER
Ranged hero. Powerful rockets knock enemy units back.

TEAM BONUS
Relentless Action - Stomping enemies grants an action point.

Seems pretty overpowered at first glance, but then again all new teams do.

UMvu4.jpg

They definitely have items. The screenshots show a sandwich (LOL) and some sort of power with two arrows, maybe it lets you swap units places? My guess is they'll just have fewer of each unit. I bet you that two of them are super units (like the Tribe), and you only get one of each. Sniper is probably one of them, given that he can shoot for big damage across the map.

The fact that this team can gain extra action points seems to be the big thing though. If things set up right, you could take massively long terms just killing and stomping units. I also love that the scout essentially casts for free.

Naka

Wow, the new TF team looks awesome. 3 weeks away... Day one for sure!

Edit: Has there been any details on the price point yet?

I was just thinking the other week about unique things they could do to make a new team really different. The three things I thought up were 1) messing with the action points; 2) messing with movement speed and; 3)A cold-based team.

They seem to have read my mind about the action point thing in the TF2 team.

As for the speed idea, I thought it would be really cool to have a really fast team where a majority of the units had a 3-space movement range, and one unit would have a ranged buff ability that reduced the movement speed of enemy units. Or maybe they all have standard movement ranges, and that one unit with the negative buff can also cast a positive buff to boost the movement range of your own units.

I like the idea of cold-based abilities because they could let you freeze units in place, and their map could have ice that units could slide across.

Top Bottom