• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Squire Felix said:
how about for every minute there isnt a ward up you take a drink.
Would be pointless with Kage in these games.

Take a shot every time you get jooked.

Take a shot every time you throw hard.

Take a shot every time you die to a 4 man gank.

kagete

I haven't dropped more than 2 wards in a game in weeks. I'm the mid carry now, doing business on some fresh 1500's with my boy, LAMARCUS.

kagete4 - add this to your buddy list if you want to get on the carry train. I do normal and casual teams, no kissing on the lips, and you have to pay extra if you want me to talk in a deeper voice. I'll put you on my stream for free so you can show the world you're rolling with the hardcore now.

Haly

kagete said:
kagete4 - add this to your buddy list if you want to get on the carry train. I do normal and casual teams, no kissing on the lips, and you have to pay extra if you want me to talk in a deeper voice. I'll put you on my stream for free so you can show the world you're rolling with the hardcore now.
Shut up and take my money!

Swag

If we were going to do a drinking game, it would have to be tailored to each player.

Some examples;

Kagete - Every time Kagete apologizes for something, you drink.
Alumnus - Every time Alumnus gets mad, you drink.
MrMister - Every threat of incoming loss, you drink.
Puppetyuber - Every bottle purchased, you drink.
Neki - Every time the word "Real Talk" is mentioned in Mumble you drink.
Loki_Demi - Every time the phrase "So stressing" is mentioned, you drink.
MoodyShuffle - Every time text is entered into Mumble instead of spoken words, you drink.
Thorin_Bei - Every time the word "Team Play" is mentioned you drink.
Procarbine - Every time Procarbine completes a failed gank, you drink.
NukeFDukem - Every time the phrase "EZ" is typed, you drink.
Sanjay - Every time a throw is performed, you drink.
Meeru - Every Disconnect, you drink, or whenever the phrase "Just go in" is mentioned, you drink.
Swagsurfin - Every time Swag trolls Alumnus successfully, you finish your drink.

Credit to late night Mumble.

PONIES

Meeru

Banned
Sebulon3k said:
If we were going to do a drinking game, it would have to be tailored to each player.

Some examples;

MoodyShuffle - Every time text is entered into Mumble instead of spoken words, you drink.
Meeru - Every Disconnect, you drink, or whenever the phrase "Just go in" is mentioned, you drink.
Swagsurfin - Every time Swag trolls Alumnus successfully, you finish your drink.

PONIES
Amazing.

kagete

Sebulon3k said:

Some examples;

PONIES

astroboy - "Let's play some LEAGUE" - take a drink
azuki - Drink when he buys his Boots of Travel, another when he gets nullstone
Puppetyuber - every time he DCs (even as a spec) take a shot
Pillowknight - when he calls for a Concede vote, take a drink
Meteorain - 1 drink per bout of euro-rage
Rumblebuffin - Latin lecture, take a drink
bzm - When either "crunched", "anal laceration" or "ass devastation" are mentioned, you take a drink
LAMARCUS - for each poor attempt to stay in character, take a full swig, you're going to need it

NukeDukem

Banned
SomeRealTalk.jpg

Procarbine types EZ, I represent Brazil in glowing G's

Sebulon3k said:

Some examples;

PONIES

Well done.

Phandy

Haha, those rules are hilarious. I wish I knew some of you guys more to get them all!

I had fun last night at the GAF salthouses. I'm finally on good internet so it means playing US servers isn't terrible, I was about 125ping.
Had a good game as Myrmidon followed by an absolute shitter as Luiginaire. Then some big behemoth stuns to round it off.

I'll be back for more tonight :)

TUSR

Banned
kagete said:
astroboy - "Let's play some LEAGUE" - take a drink
azuki - Drink when he buys his Boots of Travel, another when he gets nullstone
Puppetyuber - every time he DCs (even as a spec) take a shot
Pillowknight - when he calls for a Concede vote, take a drink
Meteorain - 1 drink per bout of euro-rage
Rumblebuffin - Latin lecture, take a drink
bzm - When either "crunched", "anal laceration" or "ass devastation" are mentioned, you take a drink
LAMARCUS - for each poor attempt to stay in character, take a full swig, you're going to need it
god damnit, im never on the list

TUSR

Banned
kagete said:
Hmmm we're going to need you to play more games with us TUSR
ive probably played upwards of 15 IH games, i dont talk on mumble so i dont think anyone really knows me as a personality yet.

Haly

Every time swagsurfin says "screw this i'm going to mm" you take a drink.

Meeru

Banned
Lone_Prodigy said:
You guys all sound the same on Mumble, and I don't like the overlay that tells you all apart.

Could half of you be girls or something.
You can turn that overlay off.

Guesong

Well guys, it's been fun.

I'll still hop in for the occasional in-house from times to times, but I'll step aside for now so that some of you gentlemen can play with people you appreciate more.

I still reinterate that the in-houses are definitively the best way to learn the game ; but as tonight depicted, it doesn't save you from the harshness of the community and I've no shame to admit that my eyes are watery right now after tonight games. Some people can take it, some people can't, and I belong to the latter group.

It's like some people forgot that they were once bad at this game and thus expect everyone to keep up to snuff, and let's bully them and rage when they don't.

EDIT : Congrats Swag, now that I think of it, you did call the Guesong Rage. Not that I'd call it a rage, but you did see it coming. :)

It is a good way to learn, but you cant learn if you dont listen to people.

Most of the time people dont mean what they say, but it is extremely frustrating when new players refuse to do what they are told.

Swag

Guesong said:
EDIT : Congrats Swag, now that I think of it, you did call the Guesong Rage. Not that I'd call it a rage, but you did see it coming. :)
I meant the Thorin rage at Guesong :0, not Guesong raging.

Meeru

Banned
Guesong said:

I'll still hop in for the occasional in-house from times to times, but I'll step aside for now so that some of you gentlemen can play with people you appreciate more.

I still reinterate that the in-houses are definitively the best way to learn the game ; but as tonight depicted, it doesn't save you from the harshness of the community and I've no shame to admit that my eyes are watery right now after tonight games. Some people can take it, some people can't, and I belong to the latter group.

It's like some people forgot that they were once bad at this game and thus expect everyone to keep up to snuff, and let's bully them and rage when they don't.

Reading this..I want to help you.

I will see you in Dota 2. What's your steam id?

dorkimoe

Guesong said:

ya, people play games to relax and have fun, when other people turn it into name calling and just rage its no fun anymore

Im glad people are helping me, i didnt notice any rage or yelling tonight,i died alot and nobody got mad, they helped explain what killed me. At least Haly or whatever his name was. So i still plan on playing with everyone, until they start yelling at me lol

Haly

PSA for Newbies: If I'm in game, feel free to ask anything. I will write essays just for you.

Meeru

Banned
Halycon said:
PSA for Newbies: If I'm in game, feel free to ask anything. I will write essays just for you.
Lol he's not kidding bout the essays, this guy can write you a new york best seller

dorkimoe

Yeah thats him ^ ;)

also Guesong, i usually play 3's (which is why i suck in 5s) but if you want to play some 3's with me im usually always up for one. I think its a good way to learn the heroes and items, and usually people arent very good so it helps me feel better about myself haha :)

Guesong Guesong Guesong, you take it all way too hard. I wasn't there, I dunno what was said and someone quite possibly might've been way out of line (It happens a lot, even in IHs when sometimes the more experienced players expect you to play like a 1900+ MMR player), but still. You shouldn't take it that personally. If need be, just tell them you made a "mistake" and to fuck off.

Guesong

PuppetYuber said:
It is a good way to learn, but you cant learn if you dont listen to people.

Most of the time people dont mean what they say, but it is extremely frustrating when new players refuse to do what they are told.

Yes Puppet. Now let me put it this way ; did you thoroughly enjoy people harping on you when you first started out DoTA?

If yes, why do you assume it's the same for everyone else?

If no, then why are you doing it?

I just don't get it. If it's a logic of "I was harped on at first, and so, I will harp on newbies in the future", then break the cycle. Humanity would still be sacrificing virgins to appease the gods and god-knows-what if we always just did what was done before.

MEERU : I'm already in DoTA2 GAF Group, with the same avatar, and the same name. You'll spot me easily. But it's alright. After the initial phase, I am now envigorated with a will to continually pick carries, concentrate on farming and then hunting down Puppet. (...until the next games, where I quickly realize I'm incapable of doing that)

I don't even think of it that way. When I first started DOTA I was a noob too, but I always appreciated when people spent time playing with me, and taught me how to play (back then there was no community like neogaf, just playing with random and hope they will play with you). How else do you expect yourself to get better? I mean I guess you can watch replays and streams, but that, imo, is boring.

Haly

Puppet you over did it a little imo.

It's okay with us long timers because we all fall prey to rage once in a while so we can empathize, but new players would have a hard time handling your ire.

nara

Banned
Guesong said:

sigh puppet

nara

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
Guesong Guesong Guesong, you take it all way too hard. I wasn't there, I dunno what was said and someone quite possibly might've been way out of line (It happens a lot, even in IHs when sometimes the more experienced players expect you to play like a 1900+ MMR player), but still. You shouldn't take it that personally. If need be, just tell them you made a "mistake" and to fuck off.

every person is different. instead of saying, dont take it too hard. maybe we can be a little more balanced ourselves.

markot

Banned
Hehe, the people yelling at you gets funny fast imo >.< first time I felt bad, but then its 'screw em' cause I am a 'noob' so whatever ^_^

Not to mention 'noob' and 'momma' jokes tend to be pretty bad. Bad as in a 6 year old might be offended... if he had a real thin skin.

That said, Hon could be more noob friendly, the tutorial is pretty meh, and lumping you into the 1500's straight away is kinda harsh.

"every person is different. instead of saying, dont take it too hard. maybe we can be a little more balanced ourselves."

Well yes, that would be the ideal solution, but short of everyone taking a hard line "0 rage or else you don't get invited to in-houses anymore" stance, it's not going to happen.

Conceptor

Hey Guesong, if you ever feel like playing, just let me know. I've been playing TMM games with some green friends looking to get into/familiar with the genre so games have been pretty laid back and enjoyable and there's always space. It's all about getting better, anyhow!

Haly

Playing high responsibility heroes will also increase the chances that people will rage at you.

Heroes like Tempest or Jere where everyone relies on you doing your thing properly should be avoided until your battle analysis becomes faster. Exactly when I cannot say, it's more of a gradual process than any kind of clear milestone.

Top Bottom