• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

Kapura

Banned
WARNING: Wall of Nerd Shit

Gaben said in one of them Dota2 articles that they aren't focusing on monetisation of the product right now, which I can believe. Between steam and World of Hatcraft they have plenty of operating capital. That being said, I don't think that there will be NO monetisation for Dota 2, but I don't think that the end goal of building Dota 2 was ever to make steaming piles of cashmoney.

Here are things that could be done better than the current pair of pay models.

- If Dota 2 has a shop that only has skins, not for-purchase locked character (like what we had assumed
been told
the HoN shop would have), Valve has some options. If the shop ships with a LOT of skins (at least one for each hero) they could easily get away with charging less real money on a skin-to-skin basis than HoN does. I had thought initially that HoN's aesthetic-only shop would make money by keeping skin prices low and consistent, but then produce more content than a player could reasonably keep up with. This way, players could get some of the cool shit they saw others have, but only a small fraction of the cool shit that was coming. People who wanted more would pay a small price.

- Dota 2 could go fully two-tier, like HoN did in a half-assed, round about way or Bloodline Champions did for real. You can pay for the game, which would give you total, unlimited access to all present and future heroes (perhaps even some in-game currency or a special skin too). If you were a casual or somebody who hates competitive fun, you could play the free version, which might include 20 or 30 less-complicated heroes (I really hate the rotating pool idea) with no access to certain other features, such as spectating or whatever other doodads Dota 2 adds. As time goes on, the in-game rewarding mechanism or a credit card would allow you to buy more heroes in packs (purchasing single heroes in asinine) and eventually you could be on par with a real player, but they would still have more cool shit because they LOVE VALVE while you HATE FUN.

- Option for a low-priced subscription a la Runescape. Runescape is free to play, but there is also a paid subscription which was $5 a month iirc. While the two games are not analogous, a cheap subscription could work in a moba environment, by providing things nerds care about. It could be subscription-only skins that are unobtainable outside of a limited window. It could be game modes outside of traditional 5v5 battles, like perhaps a subscribers 1v1 ladder. Or it could be things that makes the persistent player's life easier, like experience multipliers or currency bonuses available only to subscribers (I think Knight Online had something like this). The key is to keep the price low so people don't think they're throwing their livelihood away to play.

Jesus that's a lot of boring moba monetisation bullshit. what the fuck is wrong with me

Swag

Ikuu said:
HoN has more to be worried about with Dota2 than LoL, I don't think I've seen a community before where it feels the majority of players are playing the game while they wait for another to come along and replace it.
Happens a lot with MMOs

"Playing this till the next WoW expansion" etc, most people though don't leave because of the time investment already put into the game though, I'm sure when DOTA2 releases there will still be a large number of people playing HoN,
anyone that's invested gold coins.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I believe Valve is smart enough to know that the DotA genre is built upon F2P and that charging an upfront fee would be foolish. At the same time, they are in a precarious position of wanting Dota 2 to be a respected esport. Having an a la carte system with heroes would hurt its credibility in that area.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk

Female Scout. G_G

kagete

Dude, you went 17-0 on a carry. After you went 10-0 you should have stopped looking at recommended items and started buying components for a mock, thunderclaw , or hellflower.

Sanjay

kagete said:
Dude, you went 17-0 on a carry. After you went 10-0 you should have stopped looking at recommended items and started buying components for a mock, thunderclaw , or hellflower.

He clearly had the money saved up, for buy backs or saving up for a Behemoth's Heart.

Recommended item on Nomad=Hotbl witch is shit on him. Nomads only true core item is frostburn and after that i went to make wingbow. Mock is useless on nomad, so is thunderclaw :3.

Dahbomb

Procarbine said:
Checked your stats: average 6.0 denies.

Knew it.
Depends on the hero though. The previous pool had few characters that were good deniers, mostly gankers/melees and carries. You give me CD in a pool and I can definitely average that number of 20+.

I might log in next week and play in this so called GAF IH.

Meeru

Banned
Guesong said:
I'm now 1575 MMR thanks to Loki & ThorinBai.

>_>

Now if only I could learn the Initiation Sense as to suck way less.
initiation sense..for some reason that reminded me of Mrmr when he first started.

Kapura

Banned
Guesong said:
I'm now 1575 MMR thanks to Loki & ThorinBai.

>_>

Now if only I could learn the Initiation Sense as to suck way less.
Initiation sense for newcomers: a guide
- If you think you should go in, do not go in
- If you really think you should go in, do not go in
- If your teammates who are better than you tell you to go in, go in. Trust in them who trust in you.
- If your teammates tell you to go in, but you don't think you should, do it anyway.
- When your teammates tell you to go in on somebody, stun them if you can, slow them if you don't have a stun, and nuke them if you have neither. Then autoattack them until you can stun again
- if you fucked up and picked an initiator, ask the team who is most important to get with your initiation. If you black hole onto a lone nymphora, you suck

bzm

Napalm_Frank said:
Recommended item on Nomad=Hotbl witch is shit on him. Nomads only true core item is frostburn and after that i went to make wingbow. Mock is useless on nomad, so is thunderclaw :3.
tbh lothars is the only core item on him

Meeru said:
initiation sense..for some reason that reminded me of Mrmr when he first started.
That reminds me of mrmr now cy@

Guesong

Kapura said:
- If your teammates who are better than you tell you to go in, go in. Trust in them who trust in you.
-

I asked them to just yell at me when they wanted me to charge.

They never did T_T maybe Mumble malfunctioned.

And cut it with the Mrmr comparison, please, no.

Kapura

Banned
bro if you tell them to yell at you and they don't, it's their fault, not yours. Not feeding is better than missing opportunities for kills if you're a newer player.

Kapura

Banned
goober said:
Free to Play player here, is there a way to check out the "free" heroes of the week?
Yeah, every time they change they're listed in the patch notes.
- The current Free Heroes have changed. The current available list is:
* Forsaken Archer
* Arachna
* Soul Reaper
* Maliken
* Madman
* Legionnaire
* Amun-Ra
* Tundra
* Pyromancer
* Deadwood
* Slither
* Bubbles
* Glacius
* Jeraziah
* Keeper of the Forest

IceMarker

I love how popular I am ;3

Meeru, even though he plays rarely to none of the time anymore, still helped me get out of noob school for the first 100 matches those 8 months ago when I started playing this game, and I thank him. 1000+ matches later...

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So after much discussion I've decided that I'll pick a day (once Im 21 because I would never drink illegally), and drink every time I die.

Tomat said:
So after much discussion I've decided that I'll pick a day (once Im 21 because I would never drink illegally), and drink every time I die.
Sounds like a great idea....will try this, but isnt the idea to get drunk? How about drink every time i get a kill? /trollface

bzm

Tomat said:
Did you really have to edit that to bold never?
nerd

Meeru

Banned
So I was looking at Hi-Rez's progress on their version of Dota, Smite:

9JLNX.jpg

Yeah, I'll just care about their Tribes:Ascend.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
jeremy70583 said:
Sounds like a great idea....will try this, but isnt the idea to get drunk? How about drink every time i get a kill? /trollface

HoNGAF drinking night? Gulp of beer on every kill/death OR shot every 4 kills OR shot every 4 deaths? + Drinks on loss.

~3 drinks for 12 kills feels about right. Would be amazing.

Kapura

Banned
I think you drink every time you die, every time the other team gets a geno, and every time you kill a tower. On roshan kills, you finish your drink.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You should take a shot every time you get denied.

Top Bottom