• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
id925k.jpg

:eek:

You can read the new Kraken and Deadwood changes at the test forum, but you can't post them anywhere outside for the time being.

I'll say one of the proposed changes sounds AWFUL on paper.

Swag

PillowKnight said:
:lol Just let it go man.

I was fuming earlier, completely lost my composure in the last game :lol

Archie said:
You can read the new Kraken and Deadwood changes at the test forum, but you can't post them anywhere outside for the time being.

Do you have a link for the test forum?

So hard to carry with Andro. I couldn't even do significant damage to an Armadon. Maybe if I had a better team we could've pulled it off, but it's hard to win late-game with three Int heroes.

Swag

Lone_Prodigy said:
So hard to carry with Andro. I couldn't even do significant damage to an Armadon. Maybe if I had a better team we could've pulled it off, but it's hard to win late-game with three Int heroes.

I wouldn't try to carry with Andro, I see her as more of a support agi then a hard carry

:lol at DW changes, so many displacement skills being added with the krak change.

Sebulon3k said:
I wouldn't try to carry with Andro, I see her as more of a support agi then a hard carry

I didn't have much of a choice since we had Voodoo/Witch/Glacius. The latter two were terrible and the Voodoo didn't rush Staff (which I think hurt us as the game went on). The Magmus wasn't that good either.

I ended up getting Shroud, Wingbow, and Whispering Helm.

Kapura

Banned
Lone_Prodigy said:
I didn't have much of a choice since we had Voodoo/Witch/Glacius. The latter two were terrible and the Voodoo didn't rush Staff (which I think hurt us as the game went on). The Magmus wasn't that good either.

I ended up getting Shroud, Wingbow, and Whispering Helm.
So your team was Andro/Mags/Witch/Voodoo/Glax? fffff what a clusterfuck. Hard support that can't really push or even teamfight well (too squishy). I played a support hard game, but we had the ability to teamfight and push, so we won by being better. Sorry 'bout your composition.

Also the HoN forums are "hiring" new mods. I applied (lol university). If anybody else wants to submit the application, here's a link to the post.

JoeMartin

Holy hell Kraken is going to gank like a fucking boss.

And I rather like the Deadwood changes as it makes him less of a one trick pony.

Archie said:
Just played a game where I had to buy wards as Maliken because our Hellbringer was rushing a lvl 5 Codex. Good times.
If you're the carry and no one else buys wards/courier buy them anyway. It'll help you in the long run.

Swag

PillowKnight said:
Bah losing streaks! The worst part though, is that it feels like I play worse with each game that goes on.

I've learned quitting after the second loss is always the best.

Hon community observation #232:

Game starts, Witch Slayer starts babbling into the mic:
"I'LL TAKE DOWN ANY DEMON" (was pretty funny:lol )

Soul Reaper: Wow you're an asshole. Are you American?

WS: "YOU MAD BRO"

SR: FUCKING AMERICANS THEY FUCKING RUIN EVERYTHING! *starts to intentionally feed**sends courier to death*

me: ...fuck. disconnect.

There's a mute button you prick. Good thing I play no stats where I can leave freely

TL;DR kill yourself if you play this game

JoeMartin

Archie said:
Just played a game where I had to buy wards as Maliken because our Hellbringer was rushing a lvl 5 Codex. Good times.

While you definitely shouldn't forgo wards (especially if you're the only support), Codex HB is quite hilariously good, especially if you get it pretty early.

rs5sgl.png

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Back over 1500 PSR. My last game was won even though we had no hard carry and the other team had a fed Corrupted Disciple and Chronos. Feels good man.

Devourer is pretty fun. 1 early point in the armor skill makes him a beastly tank late game. The str gain is ridiculous. You don't even have to build any str items and you'll have more hp than anyone else. You don't even have to be really good at landing hooks. Just walk up to them with decay on, ult, then finish off with a point blank hook.

Meeru

Banned
spermatic cord said:
Devourer is pretty fun. 1 early point in the armor skill makes him a beastly tank late game. The str gain is ridiculous. You don't even have to build any str items and you'll have more hp than anyone else. You don't even have to be really good at landing hooks. Just walk up to them with decay on, ult, then finish off with a point blank hook.
Put one point in rot before anything else

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
First game today: Went 0/8 with Glacius and had a whopping TWENTY TWO GPM.

Second game: Went 15/8 with Maliken and had 272 GPM. I almost had my Behemoth's heart built build my courier was killed while ferrying the axe from the secret shop. :(

Also I'm online most of the time so hit me up in HoN or on Steam (archie4208) if ya'll wanna play.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Die 8 times.

Get 0 hero kills.

Get like 12 creep keeps.

I didn't even have boots at 30 minutes, rofl.

mrbagdt

started playing balph some with blood chalice yesterday after reading a few posts on the HON forums about the strategy, and it has worked out halfway decent for me. few questions that some of the better players may be able to answer:

how exactly does blood chalice work? the way that i understood it was that you are sacrificing some life for mana, and that after 1 second that mana which you got from using the chalice will slowly start to seep away. however, whenever i have used it in gameplay, i activate the chalice and lose some life and get some mana, but that mana doesnt seem to bleed away. is that pretty much all it is supposed to do?

anyway, using blood chalice, you can abuse the jungles as balph. you eat the corpses on each spawn camp so you never have respawn issues with monsters, you always get extra health as you do that and the blood chalice has a cooldown with lines up almost exactly with the cooldown for your little monsters that you can use to help you jungle. you dont have to worry about stacking at all- kill the monsters, eat, run away, they spawn, kill mobs again. its really effective and easy way to get some pretty decent farm.

my main issue with balph is just knowing what items and stuff to get. even when i played really well with him teh other day, its pretty much impossible to turn him into any sort of a carry in my opinion. i had a few levels and a lot of money compared to everyone else in the game, but making that useful on a hero like him is pretty difficult. ive decided now that the best way to go is ghost marchers, chalice, rott -> abyssal, barbed armor. from there, i dont know if there are any items that are better than others, such as the choices between demonic breastplate, heart, shrunken. but even with those items, its really hard to be somebody that can carry your team at all. the ult is massive when you're able to land it, but you have to be in on the action before you can cast it and you're basically asking them to cast and nuke on you so you build up enough charges that youre gonna destroy them with it.

anyway, kind of fun stuff and some a new things ive been fiddling with these past few days.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Yeah I play support 93% of the time (the other 7% is Maliken lol) so I have to rely on my pub mates to not be stupid, which is typically asking too much. Although, I did some flat out idiotic shit yesterday so I deserve some of the losses.

Yeah you should pretty much never play support. Play semicarry and gankers in the 1400-1500 areas where your teammates are guaranteed to be retarded. Farming should be easy, many people in this range autoattack for some reason so it's easy to time your last hits and deny. Buy wards and courier yourself if no one else does. Never fall victim to those long mid standoffs where no one is really doing anything. Farm a free lane or jungle and tp when your team needs to defend their push. Also, you basically want to ignore everything your teammates say or do unless you have determined them to not be retarded (rare.) If a dude decides to push past river while their entire enemy team is missing and then yells at you for not helping when he gets ganked, ignore him. Just farm away and try to pick off people out of position. It's always better to run away than to chase someone unless you know for sure you can get that kill. Basically always be ready to run away or tp.

I believe Blood Chalice was re-worked so that the mana doesn't drain away. I don't really see Balph as a carry. He's supposed to initiate, soak up damage then ult. Maybe build him as a tank. Helm/Barrier Idol/Breastplate. Barbed Armour and Abyssal Skull are good options too.

The issue I have with playing support is that you're usually the target (especially Int carries, you're super-squishy) and the carry you're laning with can usually do nothing to help. Also, in team fights you're likely to get focused.

I had a decent game yesterday when I got Pharaoh in SD. We ended up losing though because the game went on too long. I ended up building a Breastplate at the request of the MQ, only to realize later the Armadon was building the same thing (but I finished mine first).

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I'm going to have a heart attack playing this game one day. I was in a game where my teammates would not stop busting my balls because I was missing Nymph stuns so I lost my cool and started to cuss them out and use every bad word you can think of.

We won that game.

Lesson learned: I gotta quit gettin mad at videogames.

Meeru

Banned
Lone_Prodigy said:
I believe Blood Chalice was re-worked so that the mana doesn't drain away. I don't really see Balph as a carry. He's supposed to initiate, soak up damage then ult. Maybe build him as a tank. Helm/Barrier Idol/Breastplate. Barbed Armour and Abyssal Skull are good options too.

The issue I have with playing support is that you're usually the target (especially Int carries, you're super-squishy) and the carry you're laning with can usually do nothing to help. Also, in team fights you're likely to get focused.

I had a decent game yesterday when I got Pharaoh in SD. We ended up losing though because the game went on too long. I ended up building a Breastplate at the request of the MQ, only to realize later the Armadon was building the same thing (but I finished mine first).
balph can carry..such an annoying hero with slow and silence

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
WTB team matchmaking. At least I didn't lose my cool any more this evening, but I'm on a 3 game losing streak and down to ~1430 PSR. ffffuuuuu.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
valenti said:
Fed balph can carry, he's a good farmer but really needs a lot of items to work (or an early bloodstone).

valenti said:
meh. you can say anyone can "carry" when you're fed by scrubs and get easy gold. he'll still get wrecked by real carries with scaling abilities.

Meeru

Banned
spermatic cord said:
meh. you can say anyone can "carry" when you're fed by scrubs and get easy gold. he'll still get wrecked by real carries with scaling abilities.
no, not anyone can carry. no matter how fed they are

kagete

Regardless of your team or your enemy team's composition, Balph can (with less farm than an opposing carry) initiate, wreck shit, and mop up. He also stands a good chance of surviving from start to finish.

He's a pretty strong hero with good lane presence, crazy jungling with a chalice, and good clash abilities with his ulti and silence and aoe and minions. I don't see the hate personally

What items would you give a carry Balph? Or even a standard tank Balph.

Haven't played in a few days since Metroid came out. Should have some time this weekend though.

Lone_Prodigy said:
What items would you give a carry Balph? Or even a standard tank Balph.

Haven't played in a few days since Metroid came out. Should have some time this weekend though.
Carry balph and tank balph have the same build.

1.Blood Chalice
2. Check the other team, helm-->shaman's or anything in between depending on how bad you need it. Skip either if the opposing team lacks magical or physical dps.
3. At this point you have choices depending on your farm; with good farm get : nullstone, beastheart, frostfield plate whichever is most applicable. With bad farm get barbed armor.

For skill build : 3/1, add one level into silence at your discretion. For proper minion use, always spawn them before you go into a gank. Minions are also really good at harrasing so balph can solo against a weak dual lane using the fill up minions--> send them after weak hero harass.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
This game is 10 million times more fun when you are playing in an organized group that works as a team. I also got to show off my pro Kraken skills.

:(

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
More like so awesome.

But chalice is stupid broken and is gonna (thankfully) get nerfed next patch.

Swag

Played a match as Chronos, Predator, Bubbles, Warbeast, and Plague Rider vs Armadon, Puppetmaster, Swiftblade, Valkyrie, Devourer.

Me and Bubbles faced bot against Swift, Puppet, Armadon Tri lane, was so annoying once he got chalice.

Ended up wiping the floor with their team though, so good :D

Ragequit is the best and worst sound effect in the game. On one hand when you're stomping and you hear that clip it brings a smile to your face. On the other hand, after a 5 man genocide one person on your team quits. RRRRAAGEEEQUIT. Then the ragequit train happens and eventually it's just you. Sometimes it gets depressing :lol

Top Bottom