• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT3| Chromiehounds

Ketch

Looking at your avatar is reminding me that Li-Ming isn't weak by any means overall but is weak at PvEing.

Edit: I've edited my first response because it was unnecessarily aggressive. My B.

She's not weak at pve though. She's decent to good at wave clear/mercs/and objectives depending on talents.

Alur

Have you not played OW or wafched pro OW play? Genji is supposed to be played like that (aka Greymane.) poke poke poke *shout in japanese* all your healers are dead.

Of course I have. But re: Greymane, the vast majority of people don't actually play him like that, they just feed. That was part of everyone's complaint with brian! saying he was a good hero for a new player to play. Stands to reason people who try to do the same thing with Genji regardless of what he's good at was my point.

@Alur

You could buy Genji with gems no ? Did you already spent them all ?

You didn't? I thought everyone used em to test the boxes. That was the purpose of them after all. I can get 850 more if I play 3 more games since they reset the quest and get him.

Also, what do you hate about the Hanamura map?

Alur

Finally got my hands on Genji. One game, got MVP, best Genji NA eat your heart out scooby doo.

Haha, really though, he's super fun. He didn't feel bad to me, but definitely did not feel OP either. I enjoyed my 20 minutes with him. I hope the enemy Chromie and the Jaina who fed to me 3 times enjoyed it as much as I did.

Ketch

I think genji is fine. either his pve is not as bad as I orignally thought or hanamura is so NOT a pve map that it doesn't matter.

I think his pve is not as bad as I thought. I mean, you're not gonna solo lane against literally anyone, but he's no nova.

Kioshen

She's not weak at pve though. She's decent to good at wave clear/mercs/and objectives depending on talents.

When the objective needs poking sure but you ain't taking merc camps at a fast enough pace with her. She doesn't have good wave clear anymore with her loss on calamity.

You didn't? I thought everyone used em to test the boxes. That was the purpose of them after all. I can get 850 more if I play 3 more games since they reset the quest and get him.

Also, what do you hate about the Hanamura map?

Nope I didn't spend a gem in there. I had a couple of boxes and that was enough for me.

What I don't like about hanamura :

• From spawn to the lanes is one of the farthest ever in lanes. If not, it sure feels that way.
  • If you do a 4-1 split and push a fort hard, you get an insane advantage in payload effectivness. There's no counter play once it's down no matter how you struggle.
  • Mid boss is the most op thing in the game. Who thought disabling a hero for 5 seconds in there was a good idea. Poke the boss while getting chased and poof a hero gone.
  • If you rush your payload fast enough, it's pretty snowbally because of the asynchronous spawn rates of the payloads. Once you get ahead, it tends to stay that way and again it's even worse if you convert your advantage into a non respawning fort.
  • The idea of introducing "blue/red" buffs irks me to no end. I feel that activatable buffs that directly influences a team fight has no place in a fast pace game like HotS.
  • This map will be a QM nightmare. It's already hard to coordinate rotations on DS this map triples the headaches. Do we defend, do we push, should we take a heal buff, mid boss who the eff knows it's all chicken heads running around.
  • The map look small but feels big. Hard to explain but there's a disconnect there.
  • The tileset is just sands everywhere with no contrast. It's bland and disorienting. There's barely any distinctions between red and blue side.
  • This is probably lack of experience on the map but the amount of times I've run away from a fight only to land straight on the opposing team payload is not healthy. The map is too chaotic right from the start.

I'll stop there for my complaints because my blood is boiling just thinking about it.

=================

Speaking of map critiques, here's bakery's take on the Braxxis Holdout and Warhead Junction.

Alavard

So, according to the road map, we're supposed to get details on the 2.0 'launch event' today. I'm going to be surprised if it's not something extremely simple like '50% bonus xp' or 'login during first week for a free loot chest/pittance of gems/portrait', since we've also got the Nexus Challenge 2.0 coming.

brian!

New map felt like a reworked brawl tbh
Hope genji sees pro play, really want to see what they can do w/ genji/medivh combo

Ppls main issues with boe (low comeback, highly favors the team with the better 4 man) seem pretty exacerbated on this map. The weirdness really sets in when 4 payloads are on the map. What blizz seems to want (same on warhead) are cells of heroes split up to have several fights in diff locations but there seems to very little reason to do that on both hanamura and warhead. Travel distance is too long and obvious for clever rotations and sieging while holding seems too effective. Hanamura prtty much warhead + boe to me but kind of lacking in the positives (warhead: favors good rotations and strategically giving up nuke obj, boe: cool fights w/ environmental danger that favors good map specific drafting and on the fly immortal defense/offense/soak decisions) while preserving a bunch of negatives (warhead: ill attempt at multiple fighting spots that snowballs easily, boe: everything ppl complain about 2-lane maps). But iunno this is all impressions from one game and thinking about it. I have no complaint w/ how the map looks tho, plus i think that random bridge is awesome. Dunno how i feel about bush placements, tho i feel boe is prob superior in this regard.

Kioshen

I have no problems clearing waves easily with Li Ming, although she's not one of the best heroes at it anymore.
- When the wave is walking in a straight line, shoot an orb into the middle to chunk it down
- When a wave is stationary, shoot missiles at the wizard and an orb (quick cast off) into the middle
- For solo mercs, if necessary, go Q build and kite for days (siege will still hurt a bit)

I know there are ways for Ming to wave clear still but she would be better off poking the opposition than taking longer than average on minions and camps.

We're all Tyrande now.

I was talking about the health token and dragon sighting activatable.

I already think genji's e range needs a nerf though, that shit is kind of ridiculous

I totally agree on that. He can traverse nearly full screen in an instant it seems.

Alur

Whoever said the new map is kind of like a repurposed brawl, I could agree with that. But it's a fun brawl for me, at least.

I think the major separating factor between Hanamura and BOE is that there is no respite from the payloads. They just keep coming, so you don't get much time to do the merc camps or push a lane unless you're just wiping the enemy. I played two games on it last night and we were down two levels/two shots in one and up similarly in another, and even with that lead we still couldn't get much done on the map because you're constantly defending or pushing a payload.

I enjoy all that teamfighting, though, at least so far.

What I don't like about hanamura

LIST

I'll stop there for my complaints because my blood is boiling just thinking about it.

giphy.gif

I already think genji's e range needs a nerf though, that shit is kind of ridiculous

It is huge for sure. Insane, really.

Alur

You did ask for my opinion however flawed it may turn out to be. A little bit more on topic but I also hate the fact that you can't see on your friends list if people are on the PTR.

LOL, I was just amused because you had like a 10 bullet list from like two games on the PTR (aka you reeealllyyyyy hate it). Very old man like. #kiohatesnewfangledthings

Feels like it might be another Warhead, but at least it's a more fun Warhead with engagements. Warhead really IS way too big. I didn't get that sense with Hanamura last night. I think the way it funnels you out into the map from spawn is weird and offputting, but the time to get back into the fight didn't seem bad.

Maledict

I don't have any opinions right now as haven't been able to play it, but I'm willing to bet we don't see it played at the pro level at all outside the incredibly rare cheese game.

Alur

I have only two games on it as well, but would agree 100%. I'd be pretty shocked. Sucks, because the best thing about it is that it's not a dreary, dark ass, drab map for once. As is it's hard to see it being showcased regularly, though.

Kioshen

LOL, I was just amused because you had like a 10 bullet list from like two games on the PTR (aka you reeealllyyyyy hate it). Very old man like. #kiohatesnewfangledthings

Feels like it might be another Warhead, but at least it's a more fun Warhead with engagements. Warhead really IS way too big. I didn't get that sense with Hanamura last night. I think the way it funnels you out into the map from spawn is weird and offputting, but the time to get back into the fight didn't seem bad.

Me and Hanamura go a long way. I wouldn't have had such a skewed perspective if they used something more interesting like King's Row or Illios. They just put a bunch of dirt around with a sprinkle of cherry blossoms and called it a day. I also need to rep my age bracket a little bit since IIRC I was one of the oldest in our group was I not?

I think I'm going to specialize playing TLV on this map and win it by myself. They are going to be first pick/first ban in the pro scene I'm pretty sure of it.

=======

In my week-end adventures in other moba lands, it was quite depressing that I could spectate a random high level game in dota 2 straight from the client and be around 800 people. As much as I like the cool stuff we are getting in HotS 2.0 they really need to revamp that SC2 engine.

Alur

They just put a bunch of dirt around with a sprinkle of cherry blossoms and called it a day.

The HOTS map or the OW map? The OW map is beautiful. The HOTS map is a pretty good rendition (using the temples as spawns, etc), but if you think that's low effort I dunno how you could like any of the other maps that aren't Diablo themed/Braxis. Maybe Sky Temple too? I mean Warhead junction literally looks like baby poop was flung everywhere. LEMME GET SOME OF THOSE MUD FIELD TEXTURES IN OUR GAME DBRO.

Looking through the list for me, it goes like this: Dragon Shire is pretty ugly and wildly generic (something about the lighting), Cursed Hollow gives me contact depression just loading into it, ditto Haunted Mines. Warhead looks like shit smeared everywhere, Garden of Terror was neat on release but it kind of falls into some weird Dragon Shire/Cursed Hollow hybrid depending on the phase.

Similarly dark/dreary, Braxis is better but still drab, and same thing with Tomb and Towers of Doom. I like all three of those, but again, always with the darker/shadowy maps.

For maps that don't make you want to turn on the nu metal you listened to as a teenager you have BOE/Shrines albeit with the same assets so you can't even really count it as two, Sky Temple which is pretty sweet, and then there's Blackheart's Bay which is somewhere in the middle and really just begging to be a seasonal map but they haven't bitten the bullet yet.

The overwhelming majority of HOTS maps are brooding or washed out, so IMO that's why a map like Hanamura is refreshing visually even if the gameplay ends up Garden of Terror/Warhead level. We've got enough Smile Empty Soul to go around already. We need more sunshine, lighter textures, happy vibes. It's a dark place in solo queue, a bright new map can help lighten the mood.

I think I'm going to specialize playing TLV on this map and win it by myself. They are going to be first pick/first ban in the pro scene I'm pretty sure of it.

I think you forgot the sarcasm font. :D

I'm not too far off in 33 land. Will level up to 34 during summer.

I thought I was older / I hit 38 this weekend...

I hit 32 this past weekend as well. Happy birthday!
PS you're old as dirt ---- you too Kio

Kioshen

The overwhelming majority of HOTS maps are brooding or washed out, so IMO that's why a map like Hanamura is refreshing visually even if the gameplay ends up Garden of Terror/Warhead level. We've got enough Smile Empty Soul to go around already. We need more sunshine, lighter textures, happy vibes. It's a dark place in solo queue, a bright new map can help lighten the mood.

In OW, it's very pretty with a bunch of shops and stuff but I don't like it in HotS. I honestly didn't have a problem with the other maps. Maybe warhead junction but then again it's tileset copy of SC2. They could have at least included Hanamura's shop in there instead of just being a big giant zen backyard fight.

I think you forgot the sarcasm font. :D

Ok, win is a stretch by any metrics if I ever try them again but I'm pretty sure TLV will get you much better value for sneaky pushes and map control. Right now the map is too fast to do anything worthwhile but if you can effectively push carts while taking camps there's some potential there.

I hit 32 this past weekend as well. Happy birthday!
PS you're old as dirt ---- you too Kio

I didn't know about that my bad. Happy birthday dude! Now get off my lawn while I brood about my arch nemesis and dreading its introduction into the game.

Alur

Fucking Genji boys. Just hopping and be-boppin' around with my swords and ninja stars like I used to pretend I could do as a kid. Fantasy achieved.

EDIT: Did anyone mention the Tracer only brawl on Hanamura that's up on PTR? "Special Delivery".

Alur

Remember when Kio was the mild mannered French Canadian guy? Now he's always salty. We rubbed off on him...or maybe he's just returned to his roots?

kirblar

Heroes 2.0 Launch Event on 4/25 on Twitch- looks like a day-long stream thing. http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/20695700

Has a cinematic w/ the next Hero Reveal. Given that we have Genji/OW Map/Nexus Challenge 2.0, it's most likely D.VA.

Stay tuned after the first Hanamura exhibition game to catch the worldwide debut of our brand new cinematic, which will unveil the next Hero who will be joining the Nexus in the weeks to come. Once you've watched the cinematic, we'll head back to Anna, Kevin, and the Heroes devs to discuss the new Hero, as well as share details about the rewards you'll earn by completing the Nexus Challenge 2.0.

Ketch

If I'm calculating the odds correctly (without considering the rarity of drops within loot boxes) I've got a 99.something% chance to get all 6 of the heroes I'm missing in my free boxes from 2.0

brian!

Huh i thought the odds would be way lower...heroes are legendaries right? Plus you can get duplicate heroes that get turned ibto shards?

Maledict

Huh i thought the odds would be way lower...heroes are legendaries right? Plus you can get duplicate heroes that get turned ibto shards?

I thought only Kael and Tracer were legendaries?

EDIT: All 7 of the heroes I don't own (Chen, Johanna, Samuro, Alarak, Genji, Valeera, Rexxar) show as epic to me not legendary. Fairly sure I got Raynor in one pack and he was only worth a few shards. And Butcher definitely wasn't legendary when I got him.

brian!

I have no idea lol
I think i had ~28 boxes on ptr and from those i got xul, who i dont own, i just kinda assumed that dupes were possible and that heroes would be the rarest since they are the only thibg really worth anything

Kioshen

Remember when Kio was the mild mannered French Canadian guy? Now he's always salty. We rubbed off on him...or maybe he's just returned to his roots?

Next thing you know I'll start swearing in french and then it's going to be real.

We need to set up a subreddit for #kiorants maybe a tumblr will do

An emo tumblr motif seems appropriate.

Kio 1v1 slapathur duel on Hanamura, let's go. We can say sorry when it's over.

Edit: Next hero has to be Winston, to counter all the Genji mains

DotAGAF held a techies mid tournament a while ago. It was the funniest thing ever so we should do that someday.

Heroes 2.0 Launch Event on 4/25 on Twitch- looks like a day-long stream thing. http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/20695700

Has a cinematic w/ the next Hero Reveal. Given that we have Genji/OW Map/Nexus Challenge 2.0, it's most likely D.VA.

Can't wait for all the shade Dread and Khaldor will be throwing during the exhibition match.

Like other trinkets, heroes have a variable "rarity" attached to them like their gold count. For some reason they bumped KT and Tracer up to legendary but probably because of their popularity.

scoobs

Well if the hero is part of the Overwatch event cinematic we can pretty much 100% confirm it's another Overwatch hero... Mei is bae.

Alur

Kio 1v1 slapathur duel on Hanamura, let's go. We can say sorry when it's over.

Could really do something with it since they added all the nobs to custom games. Think you'd need to go 2v2 teams of Abathur (ie: one hatting, one fighting).

I have no idea lol
I think i had ~28 boxes on ptr and from those i got xul, who i dont own, i just kinda assumed that dupes were possible and that heroes would be the rarest since they are the only thibg really worth anything

Nothing is any rarer than anything else class wise. Legendary skins and legendary heroes drop at the same rate, for example. I've gotten quite a few heroes on PTR, probably at least 10.

Next thing you know I'll start swearing in french and then it's going to be real.

This is one thing that has always surprised me. When we've played together, pretty much all of us have blurted out curse words or whatever, or gotten salty. All those times, though, you've never cursed at anyone on our team or on the other team in French. I assume at home you probably speak French, right? I dunno how you keep from swearing in it when you get overly excited or angry, lol

Kioshen

This is one thing that has always surprised me. When we've played together, pretty much all of us have blurted out curse words or whatever, or gotten salty. All those times, though, you've never cursed at anyone on our team or on the other team in French. I assume at home you probably speak French, right? I dunno how you keep from swearing in it when you get overly excited or angry, lol

Well, I've sometimes thrown subtle (friendly) jabs at Milly for some questionable decisions but other than that I usually refrain from doing so because people know when they do something wrong. In the back of their heads, they know they screwed up (if not they are at least looking at their character being dead). There's no point in adding fuel to the fire and making them play even worse because their performance directly impacts me even more so than other mobas. There's also the fact that most of the time, it's #SilverKio that's playing and not #PlatKio. I don't have much to stand on and critique others.

My main language is French and I do sometimes swear but you don't hear it because I always default to push-to-talk. I've had some nasty glares from my wife from time to time so I do try to restrain myself because my older daughter tends to take awhile until she's soundly asleep. It's not cute when your child repeats swear words because you were angry at a silly video game. I had a little talk with my daughter (my wife had a talk with me lol) and I've toned it down since then.

Alur

It's not cute when your child repeats swear words because you were angry at a silly video game. I had a little talk with my daughter (my wife had a talk with me lol) and I've toned it down since then.

Haha, ask Milly (and proto) about some of the stories I've told them about my oldest son repeating things he heard from me that he shouldn't. My wife gives me those glares too (and worse). As long as it just happens the once, I have found it pretty amusing, though. Thankfully they understand it's not okay to be spouting regularly.

Altairre

Holy shit, a game without Nova in it, thank the QM gods. She's been in literally every single one of my games today. Fuck that hero.

Edit: Great match too. Down three levels on BoE but made the comeback in the end thanks to a few picks I got at opportune moments (feel like my Zera is at least somewhat decent now) and some really clutch heals by our Auriel who was the real mvp.

Kioshen

Nice, Valla being free for the week is nice, I can play her and see if I like here enough to get her

Valla is one of those heroes that constantly gets on the free rotation so don't sweat it if she doesn't click with you right away.

From an HGC China developer recap post on reddit:

If that's legit that'll be huge for the relaunch IMO.

That was chinese Q&A so not sure if it will apply internationally. Still, this will be a nice to have if it attracts a lot of people coming back.

Holy shit, a game without Nova in it, thank the QM gods. She's been in literally every single one of my games today. Fuck that hero.

Is she on the free rotation this week? Novas don't tilt me as much as Zeratul or Valeera in QM.

Altairre

Is she on the free rotation this week? Novas don't tilt me as much as Zeratul or Valeera in QM.

You're right, she is on free rotation, didn't even notice that. A good Zera doesn't tilt me as much because I know how hard he is to play. Triple tap Nova however...
Valeera is annoying as well but I don't have as much trouble with her.

Apathy

Valla is one of those heroes that constantly gets on the free rotation so don't sweat it if she doesn't click with you right away.

That was chinese Q&A so not sure if it will apply internationally. Still, this will be a nice to have if it attracts a lot of people coming back.

I actually like a lot of the rotation this week to try out. Zul'jin (or as i found out you guys call him Taz'dingo), Johanna, Auriel and Malfurion. So hopefully will find someone I really really like.

Maledict

Playing Varian in quick match still feels like cheating. I know that stats wise its apparently balanced, but christ he's practically an unkillable god.

Top Bottom