• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hex: Shards of Fate MMOTCG - Closed Beta Thread

LadyLuck.jpg

:/

anyway, RE: pack opening, i prefer one card at a time styles. sometimes i still want dat uncommon!

Yeah the art is kinda funky. The whole thing just seems off to me. Perhaps once its finally finished I'll like it. The Wheels of Fate concept is very cool, same with the treasure chest thing.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Yeah the art is kinda funky. The whole thing just seems off to me. Perhaps once its finally finished I'll like it. The Wheels of Fate concept is very cool, same with the treasure chest thing.

The brilliant thing about the Wheels of Fate concept is it gives PVP players a reason to use their gold to get PVP rewards so that will likely make players sell actual packs for gold instead of just for platinum, which makes it easier for people who don't want to spend money on packs to get it through the in-game currency. It's a great way to connect the communities and really just give a lot of value to even just one pack. This is free to play done right.

I actually haven't watched the animations yet, but I'm about to, so I'll comment on those later. I've read that part of Cory's blog though, which is why I commented on the Wheels of Fate in particular.

The brilliant thing about the Wheels of Fate concept is it gives PVP players a reason to use their gold to get PVP rewards so that will likely make players sell actual packs for gold instead of just for platinum, which makes it easier for people who don't want to spend money on packs to get it through the in-game currency. It's a great way to connect the communities and really just give a lot of value to even just one pack. This is free to play done right.

I actually haven't watched the animations yet, but I'm about to, so I'll comment on those later. I've read that part of Cory's blog though, which is why I commented on the Wheels of Fate in particular.

Yeah it really is an ingenious idea. Gold sink that helps the F2P PVE community, adds some fun/flavor to the game, and allows for some pretty generous situations (like the blog said, primal -> pack -> pack, etc.); hopefully, they've looked at the economics of the situation.

Shrennin

Yeah it really is an ingenious idea. Gold sink that helps the F2P PVE community, adds some fun/flavor to the game, and allows for some pretty generous situations (like the blog said, primal -> pack -> pack, etc.); hopefully, they've looked at the economics of the situation.

I think they have an economist helping them out with this stuff, so I'm sure they got that covered. This is probably the one digital TCG where you will just get so much value out of so little spent, but it gives credibility to back up Cory's statement that he doesn't like free to play games typically and that only a few games actually do it correctly.

One thing I would like is customization options within the pack opening animation. I don't really want to know whether or not my rare card is legendary or rare before I open it.

Also, I love how they tied in the pack opening with the lore. Pretty awesome idea.

Proven

So apparently Draft Tournaments are coming in with the next patch. Posting just for those that prefer Drafting over Sealed. Both Swiss style and Single Elimination tournaments will be implemented.

JesseZao

Lame gratuitous art aside, I'm still interested in playing this at some point. Any word on open beta or f2p testing soon in the near future?

Proven

Lame gratuitous art aside, I'm still interested in playing this at some point. Any word on open beta or f2p testing soon in the near future?

They said they'd give us a 30-day heads up for it, but we don't have a date yet. They're inching closer to getting the client feature complete before they even go into closed Beta, but automated Draft Tournaments is one of their bigger milestones. I'm not sure how many big milestones are left.

Proven

The good news is that doubleback is more of an engine/backend thing. Store/pack stuff should also be easier to put in although possibly filled with bugs. Auction House (and trading?) along with guild features should take the most work.

They announced that refunds are ending April 1st as they 'move towards closed beta.' I think Cory had mentioned thats when Slacker Backer donations end as well. I guess they seem to think they can hit beta relatively quickly.

Luigi87

I've barely touched the Alpha (never even played against anyone), as I've largely been waiting for the beta, but now that Draft is in testing, maybe it's time for me to try and jump in, and get my ass kicked, lol

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
What is the overall status of this?
I remember it being almost unplayable when I could try it and apparently there is now a browser version? No more downloadable version or are both different?

What is the overall status of this?
I remember it being almost unplayable when I could try it and apparently there is now a browser version? No more downloadable version or are both different?

? There isn't a browser version. Game is coming along nicely, still a ways to go until beta. They just put in Drafts which are relatively stable. Overall, very much playable now.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
? There isn't a browser version. Game is coming along nicely, still a ways to go until beta. They just put in Drafts which are relatively stable. Overall, very much playable now.

Ah, that is only the browser deck builder, but apparently it has a "draft" function in there, so I thought its for playing too. I just couldnt find my login credentials so I couldnt try it :p

Any AI content in the game already?

Ah, that is only the browser deck builder, but apparently it has a "draft" function in there, so I thought its for playing too. I just couldnt find my login credentials so I couldnt try it :p

Any AI content in the game already?

There is a dumb Play vs. AI mode, but as far as PvE goes, which I think is more what you're asking about, it is a looooooooooong way away. No announced date but don't get your hopes up pre-2015

Toma

There is a dumb Play vs. AI mode, but as far as PvE goes, which I think is more what you're asking about, it is a looooooooooong way away. No announced date but don't get your hopes up pre-2015

Yeah, I knew proper PvE campaign is a long time away, but just a vs AI mode with something interesting (say Draft vs AI) would be enough to make me check it out again when I get home, as long as the AI is decent. Otherwise thats pointless though. Maybe I find a friend who'll check out a match or two with me.

New patch. All cards are in. Some UI enhancements. Can buy stuff from the store for testing purposes (they give you 4000 plat). Can open packs.

Shrennin

Well folks, I'm pretty excited. That last patch seems like a major indicator that beta is near and that fact was only further confirmed by Cory in this interview that just happened today (he described it as "very close" but reconfirming that the beta is gonna be in pieces):

http://www.twitch.tv/infam0usne0/c/3993834

Some interesting tidbits:

-- Next patch will include new coin flip, victory screen, and more polish
-- Beta is near
-- When the beta comes, the Auction House likely won't release with it, but it will come in the first patch to the beta
-- ALL of the Kickstarter money is going to the game itself (game development) -- the money for marketing will come from elsewhere and CZE will obviously appreciate it if the fans help market it via word of mouth as well

Still need store/pack implementation, AH, and doubleback. Some pretty hefty features, I wouldn't expect beta anytime soon.

The double back won't be coming with the alpha or even the PVP beta -- it's more of a PVE thing so it'll be coming in with that. This is the post by Cory confirming that:

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=34215&page=9&p=349490&viewfull=1#post349490

And the store/pack implementation is in already with the AH being confirmed for closed beta so it looks like beta is gonna be soon! =P

Of course, I know you posted that before it was implemented, but I'm just stating how surprised I am that it's come so quickly.

Well folks, I'm pretty excited. That last patch seems like a major indicator that beta is near and that fact was only further confirmed by Cory in this interview that just happened today (he described it as "very close" but reconfirming that the beta is gonna be in pieces):

http://www.twitch.tv/infam0usne0/c/3993834

Some interesting tidbits:

-- Next patch will include new coin flip, victory screen, and more polish
-- Beta is near
-- When the beta comes, the Auction House likely won't release with it, but it will come in the first patch to the beta
-- ALL of the Kickstarter money is going to the game itself (game development) -- the money for marketing will come from elsewhere and CZE will obviously appreciate it if the fans help market it via word of mouth as well

The double back won't be coming with the alpha or even the PVP beta -- it's more of a PVE thing so it'll be coming in with that. This is the post by Cory confirming that:

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=34215&page=9&p=349490&viewfull=1#post349490

And the store/pack implementation is in already with the AH being confirmed for closed beta so it looks like beta is gonna be soon! =P

Of course, I know you posted that before it was implemented, but I'm just stating how surprised I am that it's come so quickly.

Yeah with no AH at beta beginning, I could see it honestly coming in next few weeks. Doubleback was a confirmed feature per his blog a month or two ago, surprised its now a PvE feature. Really don't mind, just want the beta haha.

Shrennin

Yeah with no AH at beta beginning, I could see it honestly coming in next few weeks. Doubleback was a confirmed feature per his blog a month or two ago, surprised its now a PvE feature. Really don't mind, just want the beta haha.

I'm surprised about the double back too - the AH looks like it's ready though - Cory said it was finished, but just in testing. He wants it to be bullet proof before it goes into the wild, since it deals with people's money.

Definitely agree about the beta though. I want it. I want it now!

I'm surprised about the double back too - the AH looks like it's ready though - Cory said it was finished, but just in testing. He wants it to be bullet proof before it goes into the wild, since it deals with people's money.

Definitely agree about the beta though. I want it. I want it now!

I have to say, everytime the guy talks...his ideas are incredible. He kinda talks gibberish haha, but if the game is half as much as he wants, it should be a great success.

Shrennin

I have to say, everytime the guy talks...his ideas are incredible. He kinda talks gibberish haha, but if the game is half as much as he wants, it should be a great success.

Yeah, everything Cory says has been good as far as his ideas for the game. You can tell he really cares about the game and the community as well -- I mean, this free to play model for a TCG is probably the most valuable free to play model ever. CZE really only makes money off of platinum sales (which are used for packs and entry fees). Also, I cannot stress enough how grateful I am that CZE is using all of the Kickstarter money toward development of the actual game. It means that this project has quite the budget.

Also, async sealed is gonna be amazing. People think Hearthstone's Arena matches are fun but sealed is still a better concept and having it be similar to Arena will be awesome (with that said, I think Hearthstone's Arena is an awesome concept because it's different and just fits that game).

Finally got a chance to play this without crashing the other day. Went through a whole draft -- as expected, years of Magic experience left me pretty prepared even though I barely remembered most of the cards. (Unfortunately, much like those years of Magic experience, I wiped out of the last round on major mana screw.)

Coming along really nicely. In its alpha state, this client is already more stable and more pleasant to use than MTGO. :p

Saw you guys bumping this thread a lot lately so I decided to load up the alpha and see how it's coming along.

It's so much more polished than a few months ago, really impressed at how hard CZE has been working on this. The art especially looks much cleaner and uniform, not a fan of the style, but it's not bad. The only thing I don't like is the font for card titles, but it's alpha.

Time see how drafts work.

havocau

Neo Member
Anyone who hasn't checked the game out in a while or at all, come check out my stream tomorrow :)

To celebrate reaching 300 followers on twitch, I will be doing a giveaway on my stream tomorrow at 8am (GMT+11) which is approx 27.5 hours from this post time.

Up for grabs:

- 10 hex booster packs (5 giveaways, 2 packs for each winner) *
- A battle.net account with diablo 2 and diablo 3 on it
- Maybe more!

Will be doing mostly draft during the stream but to mix things up and make it a bit more fun, I will be taking suggestions on what to draft or any handicaps etc

See you guys there!
www.twitch.tv/hexedhavoc

* will be given out during closed or open beta

hoverX

I want to play this but when I load it up the graphics are all screwed up. Been waiting for a fix for months...

Luigi87

Just got the email about the beta.

• If you had alpha access, your account was mirrored to our live servers.
  • If you didn't have access to alpha, we created your account using the email you provided us during the Kickstarter. You can get a password issued here. Go ahead and use the 'Forgot Pass' option.
  • If you were in Alpha, you can still continue to access the Alpha client as normal.
  • In the near future, we'll tell you how to download the Closed Beta client.
  • In Closed Beta, your account will be wiped of cards currency and other items you may have received in the Alpha stage.
  • Your friends list and any in-game mails you sent or received in Alpha will be wiped.
  • We will send you Kickstarter backer rewards information in a separate email in the near future.
So definitely very soon.

Izayoi

Banned
Finally Closed Beta, any GAF Guild ready? Maybe with kickstarter bonus
How many GAF Hexers have the Guild Master perks?

I know of at least two, myself included. Should we get a list going? Have they talked about how many people will be allowed in each guild?

Shrennin

How many GAF Hexers have the Guild Master perks?

I know of at least two, myself included. Should we get a list going? Have they talked about how many people will be allowed in each guild?

I have it. Also, closed beta happening? Awwww yisssssssss

As far as I know -- they haven't discussed details of guilds at all, really. They are PVE oriented so we likely won't hear details about them until PVE starts to get implemented.

Proven

Sorry to say guys, I got a refund right before the window closed. But it looks like they were kind enough to send me a Closed Beta invite. I'll join the GAF guild whenever it gets set up.

So confused with CZE messaging for this. Update the website and send out emails about closed beta but it's still "soon". Who gives a shit, just let me know when it's up.

Top Bottom