• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hex: Shards of Fate MMOTCG - Closed Beta Thread

Shinjica

So confused with CZE messaging for this. Update the website and send out emails about closed beta but it's still "soon". Who gives a shit, just let me know when it's up.

We'll probably get an update today. My expertation is closed beta today or next week friday.

Cereal

Hype. The client has really come a long way. Hopefully the beta will bring an influx of players in for drafts and tournaments, now that they mean something.

Ryuukan

Sorry to say guys, I got a refund right before the window closed. But it looks like they were kind enough to send me a Closed Beta invite. I'll join the GAF guild whenever it gets set up.

We'll make your rank "faithless fraudmaster general"

Shinjica

LL

Izayoi

Banned
The client still has a few problems, but I imagine with the beta client will come lots of fixes as well.

I'm looking forward to finally building my collection! It was hard to play Alpha because there's just something kind of unrewarding about having all of the cards handed to you right out of the gate (not to mention the crippling bugs).

Trying to get my Keep names changed, but support has yet to get back to me......

The client still has a few problems, but I imagine with the beta client will come lots of fixes as well.

I'm looking forward to finally building my collection! It was hard to play Alpha because there's just something kind of unrewarding about having all of the cards handed to you right out of the gate (not to mention the crippling bugs).

Trying to get my Keep names changed, but support has yet to get back to me......

Apparently there will be an option built into the beta client that allows you to change your client name, so I wouldn't worry about it.

IllumiNate

^^ That's what sucks about the Producer Tier, they get everything handed to them. It would take the fun right outta the game for me.

Izayoi

Banned
Apparently there will be an option built into the beta client that allows you to change your client name, so I wouldn't worry about it.
That's good news!

^^ That's what sucks about the Producer Tier, they get everything handed to them. It would take the fun right outta the game for me.
Yeah, would definitely ruin the fun for me as well.

If anything (assuming I was absolutely loaded), I would buy the Producer, and then a separate account for actually playing with.

No point in opening packs or building your collection when you've already got everything...

Ri'Orius

Huh, I hadn't heard of this before. I like some of the new things they're doing (double back, socketed cards, PvE and PvP), and I'll probably give it a shot in beta/F2P, but I'm worried it looks like too much of a Magic ripoff. Especially the resource system: one of the things I love about practically every CCG I've played besides Magic is that mana screw and flood become a thing of the past.

Do they have any mechanics to fix that issue that I'm missing? Or anything major mechanics I might've missed that separate this from Magic?

Oh, and one thing I saw: is the blue minor gem as broken as it looks? I'd expect Flash to be way more valuable than -1 mana, +1/+1 or Haste. 'Course it looks like blue gets screwed in the major gem department, so I guess that balances it out? I'm also not sure what the table is saying with the double-gem lines.

Izayoi

Banned
Do they have any mechanics to fix that issue that I'm missing? Or anything major mechanics I might've missed that separate this from Magic?
Mana screw and flood still happens, but in my opinion, the tradeoff is worth it because of the strategy required to properly balance your deck.

It's just the way the game is. You can build your deck around mana searching if you want to avoid screw as much as possible, but I don't really think it's worth it... So, the option is there, it's just up to you to make the tradeoff.

Oh, and one thing I saw: is the blue minor gem as broken as it looks? I'd expect Flash to be way more valuable than -1 mana, +1/+1 or Haste. 'Course it looks like blue gets screwed in the major gem department, so I guess that balances it out? I'm also not sure what the table is saying with the double-gem lines.
Only a select few cards are socketable, so... it's not a huge deal.

Cereal

Huh, I hadn't heard of this before. I like some of the new things they're doing (double back, socketed cards, PvE and PvP), and I'll probably give it a shot in beta/F2P, but I'm worried it looks like too much of a Magic ripoff. Especially the resource system: one of the things I love about practically every CCG I've played besides Magic is that mana screw and flood become a thing of the past.
Screw/flood still happen. Just the nature of the system. Playing resources give you charges that can be used for the Champion specific charge abilities. So that alleviates flood to an extent, but not much.

Thresholds help multi-color decks, but it's essentially the same concept as colorless mana in Magic.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Peeps who pulled money, curious why y'all did it?

I would be lying if I said I didn't contemplate it.

I was in grad school, and deemed kickstarter donations an imprudent use of my limited funds. I make good money now, and could easily have spared cash for what now looks like an awesome string of games but alls well ends well.

Proven

Honestly, as more and more cards got added to the beta I watched more streams to see all sorts of decks. And it just felt too much like Magic. From the mana screw/flood issues (although it is smoothed out) to the strength disparity of removal and control cards. There wasn't enough of the Hex unique stuff to keep me. I'm interested enough in it that I'll probably still follow the scene, and I'm actually excited to play the PvE. But I also really wanted the money for something else, and figured I wouldn't play often enough to make keeping a Lotus worthwhile.

Shinjica

Honestly, as more and more cards got added to the beta I watched more streams to see all sorts of decks. And it just felt too much like Magic. From the mana screw/flood issues (although it is smoothed out) to the strength disparity of removal and control cards. There wasn't enough of the Hex unique stuff to keep me. I'm interested enough in it that I'll probably still follow the scene, and I'm actually excited to play the PvE. But I also really wanted the money for something else, and figured I wouldn't play often enough to make keeping a Lotus worthwhile.

For me, the fact is quitelike magic is a good thing. I love magic but i hate Magic online because is clearly outdated. With Hex i can start from the basic

Minsc

Gold Member
For me, the fact is quitelike magic is a good thing. I love magic but i hate Magic online because is clearly outdated. With Hex i can start from the basic

Curious to see how DotP 2015 plays out with full deck building now, and I presume IAPs of booster packs to build the decks. With DotP's engine, Hex will have a bit of a battle, much more so than with MTGO's engine.

DotP 2014 bored me because everything was stuck with pre-made decks, but with that restriction gone, Hex will have more competition perhaps.

"What do you mean? Are you referring to TCGs in general?"

I think he's just asking when can he play as a non-backer. I'd imagine they'll gradually bring in non-backers during closed beta before going to open beta, but there's no real date for when non-backers will get to play.

StMeph

With all of the currently ongoing games, and likely split attentions in the future, I am kind of regretting choosing Pro, because I doubt I will be able to keep up the weekly Drafts long-term. Collector probably would have been a better fit for me. Get all the rewards up-front, once a year, no mess.

Ryuukan

With all of the currently ongoing games, and likely split attentions in the future, I am kind of regretting choosing Pro, because I doubt I will be able to keep up the weekly Drafts long-term. Collector probably would have been a better fit for me. Get all the rewards up-front, once a year, no mess.

You can always just raredraft and quit to save time.

Izayoi

Banned
Do we know if the free Pro draft will start as soon as the beta does?

I'm going to draft my little heart out all weekend.

Goddamn, the "Slacker Backer" donation / kickstarter ended on April 1st. I think my interest in this is utterly diminished if I can't get the nice early offer.

Hearthstone can get pricey (nothing compared to MTG, but still) if you competent decks for each class...I'd imagine this is going to be considerably more.

IllumiNate

Goddamn, the "Slacker Backer" donation / kickstarter ended on April 1st. I think my interest in this is utterly diminished if I can't get the nice early offer.

Hearthstone can get pricey (nothing compared to MTG, but still) if you competent decks for each class...I'd imagine this is going to be considerably more.

I'll give ya a free starter or your choice plus 5 boosters. I'm sure a few others would be willing to donate a cpl boosters to help get ya in the game.

I'll give ya a free starter or your choice plus 5 boosters. I'm sure a few others would be willing to donate a cpl boosters to help get ya in the game.

You're too generous. I'll just casually observe for a while when it's out, then decide whether I wanna invest in playing it. I might ditch Hearthstone, since Hex toes the line perfectly between Hearthstone (Being digital only, easier to balance) and MTG.

I was just a little frustrated and annoyed when I saw the April 1st cuttoff date.

Shoyz

Hope I get a beta key from the newsletter signup from last year. Never played magic but it looked fun. I'm enamored with this art:

Shame mill decks sound weak, it's always been the most hilarious way to win a card game to me. Burn deck but cheesier.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Hope I get a beta key from the newsletter signup from last year. Never played magic but it looked fun. I'm enamored with this art:

Shame mill decks sound weak, it's always been the most hilarious way to win a card game to me. Burn deck but cheesier.

They sound weak? I've been playing one since the start of Alpha they are fine

Top Bottom