• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hex: Shards of Fate MMOTCG - Closed Beta Thread

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Pretty sure Alpha has all cards unlocked for testing, no money involved. F2P aspect in Hex comes from PVE which will probably not be in the alpha or beta I'd guess.

Don't people like to complain Hearthstone just is a huge grind after you do your dailies and pretty much forces you to play 50 games or spend real money to continue each round in the Arena?

Honestly, I think Hex is probably going to be the best value for what you get because you technically can get everything by just playing the game - even the premier currency - via the auction house. There is absolutely nothing you cannot get by trading, including services that are traditionally bought with real money (like tickets to tournaments and PVP packs).

Sure, it may be a huge grind to do it, but it is doable. Besides, there's the whole PVE aspect too, which is supposed to be another whole, completely free to play game apart from the PVP game (which is the only thing that could require a money investment).

StMeph

Between Hearthstone and the super buggy HEX client, I've barely played any HEX. Really hoping the client gets more stable. Still would rather be playing HEX, so... how is everything now?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Between Hearthstone and the super buggy HEX client, I've barely played any HEX. Really hoping the client gets more stable. Still would rather be playing HEX, so... how is everything now?

Stable
, but I wont tell you for how long.

Still waiting.

And honestly the whole reason I got this was because it WASN'T Hearthstone which looked...well, really dull to me to be honest.

Jasconius

Got in yesterday, went in and played a game without reading up on anything with one of the demo decks and won, yay for basically being MTG with different words for things!

I dunno if I'll really play more until they get more stuff added in, though. Most of what sounded really cool to me like leveling up cards and doing PVE stuff doesn't seem to be in yet plus the most exciting part, opening new packs! I might try and make a deck just to get a feel for more cards, I guess.

Corsick

Is anyone else unable to save decks after creating them? I hit save multiple times and it just isn't doing anything when I try to load the deck I just created. It's as if I never saved it.

Got in. I am straight astonished at some of the names that were already taken, especially considering that a plural version of my final one was but not the singular. The fuck? Ah well.

That said, Imma have to play against the AI a couple times to feel the game out before messing with deck creation.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Pretty huge changes to the escalation cards. Good thing they caught that exploit before it went live with their 'we'll never make changes / nerf cards' stance.

But I liked playing the trap mine card and making them discard 24 cards and winning instantly :(

Corsick

Anyone know how to save a deck? I've only gotten the "Deck Saved" prompt to come up once. I made a deck with 60 cards and no more than 4 of each except for resources and when I click save it never does anything. Getting a bit frustrated now since I've been in alpha for days with no progress with this problem. I'm assuming it's user error.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Anyone know how to save a deck? I've only gotten the "Deck Saved" prompt to come up once. I made a deck with 60 cards and no more than 4 of each except for resources and when I click save it never does anything. Getting a bit frustrated now since I've been in alpha for days with no progress with this problem. I'm assuming it's user error.

Do you have a hero selected? Honestly I think it's just server side lag

Corsick

So I've actually finished some games now, which is good as it's an improvement for me. I still cannot create and save a deck though. I can delete them sometimes. Will just wait it out as it seems like too simple of a process to be anything but a bug. Game is pretty fun though, polish is all it needs, which will come with time.

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=30374

Here are some others with the issue I am having. Hopefully this helps anyone else experiencing it.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Oh god there is this hilarious bug, where the enemy AI would constantly use Polymorph on it's own units haha

Edit: Now every turn takes 5 min to synch so I had to quit :(

Switters

This priority bug is killing meeeeeee!!! Also, there are no decks listed when I click the drop down box for PVP. Also, where do you create your keep?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
This was a fun game xD
qgv3sXz.jpg

Shrennin

So the Friday update gave me a lot of confidence in what Cryptozoic is doing to ensure server stability, polish, etc - right now, I believe what was said was that the alpha servers are essentially running on a home computer set-up - they aren't even using their actual server hardware, because they want to make sure all the problems with how they are running the servers are fixed to the point where server stability would be at its lowest and its most vulnerable.

MOPP 4

Banned
I'm a Captain backer, and I spent the entire first game confused as hell with how to play this game.

I didn't realize until the middle of the game that it's just magic but better.

I'm a moron.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
LOL this sequence I just had.

At 2 HP left

Summon mencing gralk *forces all opposing troops to tap and not untap during next untap step

next turn Mimic mencing gralk

next turn Time ripple gralk back to my hand summon again.

GG xD

Game seems a bit too slow for my taste, and I'm not talking about Alpha quirks and lag.

End phase, End phase, End phase, End phase...

They should streamline it to make it faster like Hearthstone.
Keep the depth (which Hearthstone lacks), but seriously cut down on the huge downtime.

It feels even slower than Magic: Duels of the Planeswalkers.

Minsc

Gold Member
Game seems a bit too slow for my taste, and I'm not talking about Alpha quirks and lag.

Keep the depth (which Hearthstone lacks), but seriously cut down on the huge downtime.

I think all they can really do is change the optional end phase action to a timed event (3-5 seconds long) to interrupt a recent action like in DotP. There's no way to keep the depth of being able to play outside of your turn without adding a lot of extra time to the game. If you do something weird like only prompt when the opponent actually has a usable card, then you may as well make everyone play with their cards face up. Hex will never feel as fast as Hearthstone or SolForge.

Proven

I think all they can really do is change the optional end phase action to a timed event (3-5 seconds long) to interrupt a recent action like in DotP. There's no way to keep the depth of being able to play outside of your turn without adding a lot of extra time to the game. If you do something weird like only prompt when the opponent actually has a usable card, then you may as well make everyone play with their cards face up. Hex will never feel as fast as Hearthstone or SolForge.

Yep, that's the hidden cost to interaction on your opponent's turn. You can only do so much to streamline it. There's another game in development I'm interested in that's going to try only allowing interaction during the opponent's combat phase.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Use spacebar or just press in advance. My games dont normally last more than 12 mins

If you do something weird like only prompt when the opponent actually has a usable card, then you may as well make everyone play with their cards face up.
exactly

Minsc

Gold Member
Is 10-15 minutes short or long though? Hearthstone games can last just a few minutes or less with rushing.

The idea of only allowing opponent interaction during the battle phase is an interesting idea for a compromise too, but I just don't know if you're gaining enough to make it worthwhile at that point, it's probably just better to let it be full blown MtG style instant anytime than a watered down version, but I guess we'll see.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Is 10-15 minutes short or long though? Hearthstone games can last just a few minutes or less with rushing.

Kinda the average as far as card games go.

The problem I have with Hearthstone is that there really isnt much strategy to it, it's pretty much all determined when you make your deck. At that point it kind of plays itself

I don't wanna gum up the thread much. But there is a reason people still play Magic. Hex doesn't need to be Hearthstone. It plays just fine as is and I don't mind the priority system as it allows you to play at every moment without your opponent knowing what you have.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Cast sabotage
use nin's ability
Top 2 cards are mines *blows up for the win*

LOL I feel like I cheated

Edit:eek:h god these rage quits

MOPP 4

Banned
I used The Big Green all day today and haven't lost a game. Just like Magic green growth decks will always win at the end. Hah.

Sad part is I've been in the Alpha for weeks (spent over 60 bucks on the donate months back), but today was the first day I really played it. This is so much better than Magic.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Have they fixed the pass priority bug? that's what stopped me from further delving into it, since it bugged out about 80% of games...

MOPP 4

Banned
Have they fixed the pass priority bug? that's what stopped me from further delving into it, since it bugged out about 80% of games...

You talking about it saying "Pass Priority" after every little action? No that's still there. You can tell it to skip it after a few seconds, but I just play with Google Music in the background and surfing the web so it doesn't bother me as much.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
You talking about it saying "Pass Priority" after every little action? No that's still there. You can tell it to skip it after a few seconds, but I just play with Google Music in the background and surfing the web so it doesn't bother me as much.

No, it would sometimes bug out where after someone presses pass priority, neither player is able to do anything. Both are stuck at the "waiting for other player to do something" phase, but neither can actually do anything. Hence, pass priority bug, because that's the last thing people see. :p There was nothing people could do about it and forfeiting was the only way out. But if you haven't noticed it, I'm pretty sure it's gone!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
No, it would sometimes bug out where after someone presses pass priority, neither player is able to do anything. Both are stuck at the "waiting for other player to do something" phase, but neither can actually do anything. Hence, pass priority bug, because that's the last thing people see. :p There was nothing people could do about it and forfeiting was the only way out. But if you haven't noticed it, I'm pretty sure it's gone!
It's very rare now

Shrennin

I used The Big Green all day today and haven't lost a game. Just like Magic green growth decks will always win at the end. Hah.

Sad part is I've been in the Alpha for weeks (spent over 60 bucks on the donate months back), but today was the first day I really played it. This is so much better than Magic.

It really is a lot better than Magic. It uses the tried and true mechanics of Magic and improves upon them and utilizes them in ways that Magic has not (and cannot due to its physical nature).

Also, you can tell that this game is going to be extremely polished by release. I've seen the game turn from a completely buggy, unplayable mess on the first day the alpha went to the backers to now and the improvements are simply amazing.

Top Bottom