• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |OT| Blood Monthly

So I guess pretty much all the locations from the E3 cinematic trailer have come into fruition(Hokkaido is the snow in the beginning and the end),apart from the actor/photographer, which seems a bit strange considering how much attention they put on him in the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVqxMCZ3u6k

Wonder if he got cut or just moved into the next season.

God, they absolutely nailed that trailer. Still so good. Great music. Would love to have a download of it. Would love to see them use it in the final episode too.

Also, be careful of SPOILERS if you are checking the Hitman twitter. There's a lot of leaks already for the Hokkaido episode. There's a thread on Hitmanforum about the leaks but that's thankfully well flagged.

Demoskinos

Okay guys. I need some help contexualizing this game with the rest of the series as the season finale approaches. spoilers for multiple hitman games below:
So timeline wise where does this game fit? After Absolution or sometime after blood money but before absolution? A lot of previous targets are referenced in the Tornado Shelter in Colorado.

Secondly, who is 47's handler if this is indeed after absolution? Because Diana was killed after 47 was tricked into thinking she went rogue at the beginning of Absolution.

Okay...now let me see if I have the plot of this game straight so far...
Basically this "shadow client" who apparently knows 47 really well has been throwing out contracts to the ICA and been using 47 to help destabilize Providence? Soders who is part of Providence must have figured this out and in turn green lit the operation in Colorado in hopes that 47 would take out this "shadow client".

Metal-Geo

Do you guys think they should add new mechanics to season 2 or keep it all the same?

47's mechanics are pretty much perfect for me, as in I don't need anything extra or new. Though I kind of wish they reverted the quicker subdue. It made the game a lot easier. But I guess the speedrun community appreciates it.

What I'd like to see, instead, is more diversity in the locations and environments. Though the game takes you to visually beautiful and varied surroundings... they do keep following the exact same set of rules. Chandeliers you can drop; rat poison everywhere to put in consumable products; only two different types of NPCs (civilians and guards) with a constant and predictable behavior; security cameras linked to a tray of harddrives, etc. I'd like to see season two introduce more location-unique set of rules. I'd like each location to be a bit more surprising with its challenges and features.

Excuse the lack of a better explanation. :)

With all that said, the game surprised me tremendously. As of now I've already put nearly 200 hours into it and is so far my GOTY by a long shot.

Besides all that - elusive targets, escalations and contracts: all fucking great. Wouldn't mind it one bit if they didn't change a thing to these elements for season two.

Just make the game less online dependant...

Okay guys. I need some help contexualizing this game with the rest of the series as the season finale approaches. spoilers for multiple hitman games below:
So timeline wise where does this game fit? After Absolution or sometime after blood money but before absolution? A lot of previous targets are referenced in the Tornado Shelter in Colorado.

Secondly, who is 47's handler if this is indeed after absolution? Because Diana was killed after 47 was tricked into thinking she went rogue at the beginning of Absolution.

Basically this "shadow client" who apparently knows 47 really well has been throwing out contracts to the ICA and been using 47 to help destabilize Providence? Soders who is part of Providence must have figured this out and in turn green lit the operation in Colorado in hopes that 47 would take out this "shadow client".

This is after Absolution - we see the Hunter and Hunted mission from Absolution during the prologue cutscene that highlighted past assassinations.

You basically have the plot as we understand it, except I don't understand why Soders rushed the operation, preventing the ICA from positively confirming the shadow client's identity.

MUnited83

For you.

It fits after Absolution (except for the bonus episodes, those are in the past).
Diana didn't die in Absolution.

Demoskinos

Okay, wow yeah rewatched the ending of Absolution on YT. Totally spaced that post credits stinger happened. Okay,I'm glad I have everything straight in my head now.

justjim89

47 should be able to pickpocket things like keys or usb drives without having to knock an NPC out.

You should be able to actually get yourself arrested to kinda smuggle yourself deeper into a holding cell in a level.

More moments like 47 confronting
Jordan Cross in his room and talking him down.
That moment was so good.

Foffy

Banned
It seems the briefing for the ET target leaked...

There are two objectives, as has been hinted at regarding this mission.

I just heard random guard dialogue in Colorado, talking about an online sale on disposable batons and ninja shurikens.

...Are we going to unlock shurikens in Japan?

That moment was so good.
Yeah the very cinematic way that that particular one is designed and plays out is fantastic, I really hope we see more like that. I know it would only make sense if there are certain conditions imposed by the client... so I'm hoping we see more of those :)

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
You can restart the mission as much as you want until:

-you die
-the target is dead

You can restart and replan.

Complete any objective and the game "locks" you into the mission, meaning it must end with a success or failure. Restarting and replanning cannot be done once "locked" in by completing an objective.

I emphasize objective because this target may require a second condition other than the kill. We've had those before.

Nice one.

Hokkaido looks pretty, bit worried it won't be very crowded though

Better be some goddamn ninja there.

It turns out we have a little bit more to go on regarding the shadow client's motivations. Guards in Colorado say he was in Sierra Leone in 2002 (during a war) and found Olivia Hall there. That's the only thing anyone knows about his past.

Is this what the shadow client meant about the consequences of 47's actions? Did he save Olivia as a child from a country that was destabilized and war-torn due to 47 fulfilling a contract? Was Providence acting from the shadows as well?

That would explain these two acting together. But there was a real war in Sierra Leone during that time, so it doesn't really make sense to ascribe fictional forces to it.

Better be some goddamn ninja there.

There has to be a unique weird disguise of some kind, so...

I hope you can go out onto the mountain and find mysterious ninja armor in an abandoned cave.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
For Season 2, I hope they get a little braver with their locations (as well as the solutions).

A lot of them are, if not based on, very reminiscent of previous locations: Sapienza is kind of like A Vintage Year writ large, Marrakesh (in part) harks back to Murder at the Bazaar, Bangkok is similar to a number of classic Hotel missions etc.

That's not to say they're poor or anything, they're all pretty much top-tier so far. I would like to see them mix it up a bit: a maximum security prison, an airplane (mid-flight), an actual Cruise Liner, the Eiffel Tower, an active war zone... whatever. Some areas that are a little fresher to the series.

I wouldn't mind seeing an occasional return to the C:47/HM2:SA structure, where you had to do a number of smaller assassinations in a locale in order to set up a much larger one (though they can leave out the non-assassination missions like Hidden Valley). That'd certainly add value to a few individual episodes.

There has to be a unique weird disguise of some kind, so...

I hope you can go out onto the mountain and find mysterious ninja armor in an abandoned cave.

Awww... but I wanna fight/avoid ninja like in Shogun Showdown, dammit!*

*Even if it contradicts my previous point :D

For Season 2, I hope they get a little braver with their locations (as well as the solutions).

A lot of them are, if not based on, very reminiscent of previous locations: Sapienza is kind of like A Vintage Year writ large, Marrakesh (in part) harks back to Murder at the Bazaar, Bangkok is similar to a number of classic Hotel missions etc.

That's not to say they're poor or anything, they're all pretty much top-tier so far. I would like to see them mix it up a bit: a maximum security prison, an airplane (mid-flight), an actual Cruise Liner, the Eiffel Tower, an active war zone... whatever. Some areas that are a little fresher to the series.

I wouldn't mind seeing an occasional return to the C:47/HM2:SA structure, where you had to do a number of smaller assassinations in a locale in order to set up a much larger one (though they can leave out the non-assassination missions like Hidden Valley). That'd certainly add value to a few individual episodes.

Awww... but I wanna fight/avoid ninja like in Shogun Showdown, dammit!*

*Even if it contradicts my previous point :D
We need a mission on Air Force One where 47 have to stop an assassination attempt. Exits could be sitting down in crew seats wearing the correct disguise, hiding in something that will be taken out of the plane, jumping out of it etc.

Somebody even says "that's a vintage year" in Sapienza. Definitely deliberate.

Season one levels are definitely built under the assumption that all levels are "peaceful" by default. Even in Marrakesh, no actual violence or conflict can ever happen in the level naturally. 47 is the only person who can ever receive blame if something bad happens.

For season two, that's a major area for expansion. Make it possible to get guards to blame or harrass NPCs. Have levels with opposing factions, like a warzone or a robbery/hijacking. (They've been teasing a major pirate character in season one. Have a cruise ship that's being boarded by pirates?)

And along the lines of preventing an assassination, have a target who can defend himself/herself (without actively rushing at you in combat, of course). Even the most combat-hardened targets in season one go around unarmed, and run for the guards whenever in danger.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
For season two, that's a major area for expansion. Make it possible to get guards to blame or harrass NPCs. Have levels with opposing factions, like a warzone or a robbery/hijacking. (They've been teasing a major pirate character in season one. Have a cruise ship that's being boarded by pirates?)

That'd be awesome.

Maybe they have something to do with
Thomas Cross' Fortress Island
? That's almost certainly coming in Season 2.

Edit: Just completed Bangkok, so
I guess that won't be happening then :D

I wouldn't mind seeing this 'stalking' mechanic I've heard about being developed into proper rival agent AI a la Agent 17, The No. 48's or the Blood Money rivals (like the Female Assassin in You Better Watch Out).

Another game mechanic has just been revised - it only affects escalations, but it's a game-changer.

Hacking a laptop is now only suspicious when you start the action. While you're hacking the laptop, it now counts as blending in - so it actually prevents your disguise from being blown!

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, so go do all those laptop hacking escalations while you can.

Double post because The Fixer is up.

Wait, does this one lock you out of restarting as soon as you
track the courier to the diamonds' location
?

Dalibor68

Banned
Whats this shit

tracked the courier to the carpet shop where he exchanged some weird catchphrase with the owner and gave him something which I assumed to be the diamonds, then lured the owner upstairs and choked him but he didn't have anything on him, neither the other "owner" so I restarted and chocked the courier and suddenly it said FAILED. Why? This is stupid. It only says you fail when one objective is completed but then die, not when you choke out some person.

Objective #2 is to
follow the courier to the diamond pickup
. You will fail if
the courier is incapacitated so that the pickup can't take place

I assume
the diamonds don't actually exist in the level until the scripted pickup plays out
?

Dalibor68

Banned
Objective #2 is to
follow the courier to the diamond pickup
. You will fail if
the courier is incapacitated so that the pickup can't take place

I assume
the diamonds don't actually exist in the level until the scripted pickup plays out
?

crap then I misunderstood it, I thought the main guy gives the diamonds to the courier who drops it off at the carpet shop. Still, wasnt too far fetched that you can dress up as the guy and afaik it didn't say "You fail if you incapacitate this perso", so yea...i'm pissed now in any case :p

crap then I misunderstood it, I thought the main guy gives the diamonds to the courier who drops it off at the carpet shop. Still, wasnt too far fetched that you can dress up as the guy and afaik it didn't say "You fail if you incapacitate this perso", so yea...i'm pissed now in any case :p

The idea is that
you don't know where the pickup is, and it doesn't make sense for you to suddenly know it after restarting.

It's like in Showstopper, where
until you eavesdrop on Decker's phone call with Novikov, you can't talk to him to lead him to the meeting spot even if you know what to do from past runs.
Or where
the bodyguard's phone will never drop unless you read the evacuation protocol beforehand.

All these spoilers aside, a public notice is probably worthwhile here. There are certain events that you must let play out. Expect a longer-than-usual mission.

Be very careful about objective #2. If in doubt, just don't do anything at all expect hang back and observe until objective #2 is complete.

justjim89

This was a really tough one. Finding the courier took me long enough, probably about 10 minutes or so, and I managed to catch him just before
the hand off. But you don't see anything actually change hands and the objective for following him to the diamonds doesn't tick, so I was scared to take him out even after he repeated his loop in the school four times. Ended up knocking him out on the stairs, grabbing the diamonds, and waiting outside the cafe for the Fixer because I had seen him go in a few times when looking for the courier. No dice. So I tried going into the embassy and looking for him, and lost my cover because the embassy is a clusterfuck no matter what disguise you have. Managed to escape, got my sniper rifle, and waited on the rooftop closest to the embassy. I eventually got him, but it was nerve-wracking.

Finally got my Blood Money suit, though. Elusive number 10.

The consensus looks to be that the fail conditions were too vague this time for how complex they are.

However, you can't fully understand the fail conditions without knowing what's going on in this level. Spoilers below.

The target must meet with the courier at a first location to tell the courier where to pick up the diamonds. The courier must then go to a second location to get the diamonds from a shopkeeper. If you interfere with any of these events beforehand by killing or knocking out the necessary people, you will immediately fail the mission.

Do not assume you know who will give the courier the diamonds. Watch very closely.

This was a really tough one.

So, in your spoiler you confirmed that the second objective doesn't "pop"
when the handoff is made
?

That's actually good, because following elusive target rules, if the objective popped then you would be unable to restart... even though you haven't done anything.

Worse, imagine if you were somewhere else entirely and the objective popped. You might have no idea what just happened and you would never be able to know.

And yet, they needed a way to communicate what happened. This is really what the intel tab (which never gets used in elusives for some reason) should be used for.

So, the Blood Money suit unlocked for me early (8 complete two missed). Are there any other Elusive rewards in the pipeline aside from the
signature suit with gloves
?

AHA-Lambda

Ah NO!!!

I killed them both when they met at the start with the explosive phone, and it failed!

I thought he had the diamonds on him! D:

Moff

seems like a pretty hard elusive
started with the waiter outfit and thought "nice, the meet in the cafe, easy"
then he went to the embassy, no way to follow him

restarted, got the soldier outfit, waited outside the cafe, followed him in the embassy

he went to the second floor, can't follow him

went up in the back, got a security outfit and couldn't follow him for about 3 minutes, found him again and he just kept following the embassador for like 15 minute until I gave up

no idea how to do this or what to wait for

Jintor

47 should be able to pickpocket things like keys or usb drives without having to knock an NPC out.

You should be able to actually get yourself arrested to kinda smuggle yourself deeper into a holding cell in a level.

That moment was so good.

Oh man is there dialogue? I just shot him the moment he walked in lol

It's one of the best dialogues in the game!

Just got silent assassin after a half-hour run. I took no chances.

While following the courier, he will occasionally stop and look back. If he sees you, he will deliberately double back or go the wrong way to try to trick you. If he never spots you following him, he will go directly to get the diamonds.

Followed him into the school using the headmaster's key path, where I lured him next to a locker in an empty upstairs room. Easy, but slow.

Back in the consulate, I watched Strandberg and the target go around for at least three cycles. Once I knew that they go into the moose room balcony, I just had to get one guard out of the way with a vacuum cleaner, then distract them both while they were on the balcony with the other guard not present. Lethal injection is so useful for these elusives.

I half-considered giving Strandberg a massage to see if I could massage the target afterwards. Decided against it.

seems like a pretty hard elusive
started with the waiter outfit and thought "nice, the meet in the cafe, easy"
then he went to the embassy, no way to follow him

restarted, got the soldier outfit, waited outside the cafe, followed him in the embassy

he went to the second floor, can't follow him

went up in the back, got a security outfit and couldn't follow him for about 3 minutes, found him again and he just kept following the embassador for like 15 minute until I gave up

no idea how to do this or what to wait for

That's your target. You have to follow the guy he was meeting.

The game will not tell you when you have completed the second objective - but remember that he will go to a different place, and wait there, once he has the diamonds.

Forkball

Here's how I did it.

Started as a handyman with a sniper on the rooftop. Followed the guy for the length of one Lord of the Rings film until he went into to school.

RESTARTED. This time I started in the school as an elite soldier and made my way to the cafe. When I was trying to get into the cafe, the courier just strolled out and I followed him for a long while to the school. Now when I got to the school I was confused, since it looks like he grabbed something, but I did not get any prompt or alert from Diana and he just cycled through his animation of smoking, climbing the stairs, looking at a table, and then turning back. Either this was supposed to happen or it was a glitch, but in the room with a big hole right before the room where I assume he picked up the diamonds, I knocked him out with a toy tank. This took a few loops of him going in and out because the pathing on the enemies has to line up perfectly so no one sees me. Turns out that yes, he did get the diamonds at some point and they fell from his body. I looted them and went to the consolate.

I could not find the target at all, but the intel said he was supposed to be around Strausberg. I climbed up to the roof where my sniper rifle was, and sure enough he met with Claus on the top floor of the embassy, giving me a clean shot with the sniper rifle. I did miss once though, no biggie no one card. Probably happens all the time. I just climbed down the pipe to escape.

Meneses

I'm glad they made an elusive where you have to pay attention and is harder to cheese with restarting

I'd be fine with that if they mentioned anywhere that the Courier can't be touched.

I assume running into him shouldn't count as an attack but maybe it counted as an exclamation mark and that causes it to fail? I don't know.

It's badly designed.

Murkas

Got SA for The Fixer.

Started in school as a soldier, got a colonel outfit. Tracked the courier until he got the package and then went to the school. Dismissed soldiers to make things easier and lured him to the toilet with coins and KO'd him while staying away from Zaydan. Retrieved the diamonds and went to the embassy from the tunnel. Turned off CCTV and went upstairs in that storeroom and changed into janitor, then turned the vacuum on to lure the security guard and stole his outfit.

Then swiped my way into Claus's office area and led the target with coins, poisoned then dumped his body into the locker.

Liked this elusive, nice and long.

I've been trailing the courier and he's talked to like 3 different people. How do I know if he has the diamonds?

If he's talking to that many people, then you are following too close - he's talking to extra people to throw you off.

You have two clues:

Watch for someone actually putting something in his hand.

Once he has the diamonds, he will go to another place and wait there.

kai3345

Banned
Completed it

Finally saw the courier receive an item from somebody. Trailed him for a bit more, but saw he was heading for the military compound, which I didn't have a disguise for, so I had to move quick. Threw a soda can at his head in broad daylight, grabbed the diamonds and bolted for the nearest trash can. Hid in there for a sec and then got a technician disguise.

Wasn't sure exactly where the target was, since he was shown in both the consulate and the streets in the video. Did a quick scan of the streets and then made my way to the consulate. Got the security guard disguise despite it being practically worthless in the consulate. Got caught attacking a janitor and had to take a few people out and quickly switch into my janitor disguise. I walked upstairs, turned a corner and literally bumped into the target. Trailed him for a bit before him and the Ambassador guy from the story mission walked into the TV studio. They were leaning on the balcony so I pulled out my pistol and domed the target.

Somehow I managed to run back to my Security disguise and change into that, then snuck through the lobby, made my way downstairs, coined a soldier, grabbed a disguise and exited using one of the cars in the garage.

The win/fail conditions of the objective were a little vague, but otherwise I thought this was a great target. Trailing the courier through the massive crowds had me thinking I was on some Bourne Ultimatum shit.

Top Bottom