• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman Trilogy HD |OT|

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Nothing wrong with Absolution's controls or anything, it's just weird seeing people constantly talk about how the other games were these massive jank-fests and how Absolution was like the next stage of human evolution in comparison. It's really not that big of a difference.

There are some things like climbing ladders that is pretty fucking terrible in these. Almost has killed me in Contracts a few times. It otherwise controls like blood money which I'm okay with. Silent Assassin has more oddities, and C47 is super weird by default.

I think a lot of the 'jank' people refer to that absolution fixed is some stuff like fiber wire barely missing the target which can be annoying, though Blood Money already had a smart animation toggle when it was going to kill.

Okay, we're just gonna have to figure out why we played two completely different games that were both named Hitman: Absolution. I stopped after Dexter Industries (aka Hitman: Conviction), and I only played two levels up to that point that resembled Hitman levels in the slightest: King of Chinatown and Shaving Lenny. That's it.

I'm not counting the opening mission because it's just a tutorial.

A lot of this is due to the level splitting. Hunter and Hunted was an amazing level for me, but there are actually 2 segments within it that have targets and a few that don't. Those are not levels by themselves, though.

Funny enough after Dexter Industries you basically get 4 standard style hitman levels in a row with Death Factory which is a multiple part level where you have around 4 targets total, Fight Night, Attack of the Saints which is one of my favorite levels in the entire franchise, and Skurky's Law, which while it doesn't have a target is still more standard hitman sandbox.

does Blood Money crash for anyone else every time you start a new career on the PS3?

It's weird. I could have sworn that the PC versions of Hitman 2 and Contracts had visible bullet holes on enemies before, but they don't seem to in these HD Collection versions. Am I just remembering them wrong? I know that the console versions didn't have them because of memory limitations.

you are remembering wrong :D

BibiMaghoo

Okay, we're just gonna have to figure out why we played two completely different games that were both named Hitman: Absolution. I stopped after Dexter Industries (aka Hitman: Conviction), and I only played two levels up to that point that resembled Hitman levels in the slightest: King of Chinatown and Shaving Lenny. That's it.

I'm not counting the opening mission because it's just a tutorial.

And that's why I said you've done yourself a disservice.
You have missed the best levels of the game.

Every mission after dexter industries bar 2, are traditional hitman setups, in that you have a target and multiple ways to accomplish the goal. 1 of those 2 is the kinda 'end boss'

Go back and play it dude, really. You've got to where the game really takes off and have given up.

I'm not saying the whole game is a traditional Hitman setup. It is something greater than that. My comments were in regards to the costume system being broken, because it really isn't. A couple of levels, not even missions, have no alternate costume, and this is to make the player use stealth, instead of bagging a costume and walking from A to B.

I can understand not liking the way the levels were designed with telling a story in mind, and that not every level was a traditional style level. These are both fair.

But saying the disguise system is broken, as many, many people have, is just wrong. It works perfectly. Do not approach people wearing the same disguise. They work with the guy you took it from. They will know.

Moff

Silent Assassin is good but definitely has too much trial-and-error. It has some very memorable missions that are amazing to play once you figure them out. Contracts improved on this and Blood Money took it a step further. A fusion of SA, Contracts, and BM would make the perfect game. I'd also include the cover system from Absolution, its needed.

I am sorry. do I understand that right that you mean to tell us contracts and blood money are not trial and error? hitman is a trial and error fest, always has been. thats how "hitman gameplay" is meant to be played.

BibiMaghoo

there is a more or less recent LTTP topic for absolution btw. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506518&highlight=

I dont feel 100% comfortable discussing it here (again and again), since this topic is devoted to other games

The discussion is in relation to the older games, that this thread is about and everyone is playing. It is relevant here.

The older games are not so shiny in comparison to Absolution now the nostalgia glasses are off.

The edit button is above your avatar dude, so you don't need to triple post.

ScOULaris

The discussion is in relation to the older games, that this thread is about and everyone is playing. It is relevant here.

The older games are not so shiny in comparison to Absolution now the nostalgia glasses are off.
While Hitman 2 feels pretty stiff by today's standards, this collection is made even more enjoyable and refreshing after having suffered through Absolution only a month or two ago. Going back to the open-ended design of these games helps wash out the grimy aftertaste that Hitman: Conviction left behind.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Absolution is very open ended, you just can't seem to see that. But whatever, this argument is just going circular anyway.

I got up to Traditions of the Trade in Contracts. Never played through C47 so I don't know what the level was like there, but I always really loved this one, especially the weird as hell stuff on floor one. Really cool secret achievement tied to it as well.

jimi_dini

God damn.

Hitman 2 has a stupid bug. It seems when you replay previous missions, you may lose all your Silent Assassin bonus weapons :(

EDIT: wth, it seems by replaying first and 5th mission, I even lost bonus weapons from the Japan missions like the .22 SD.

I definitely lost the ballers, SAd another level and got them back. Strangely I still have the M4. The .22 SD is definitely gone. And I had them all, even got the trophy for all pistols. And now there are 2 blank pistol spaces on the wall. :(

And I also managed to get the bow, but it didn't save it. Do I have to beat all 3 Japan missions with the bow as my primary weapon? I thought playing through 1 mission was enough.

EDIT2: I researched a bit. It seems the game is designed that way that if you drop a weapon in a level and don't bring it to the end, you will lose it. Or it's a bug. I mean who thought this was a clever idea. Great, got to play that stupid Japan mission again. And I still don't understand why I didn't keep the bow.

EDIT3: I can confirm that you need to beat multiple levels in a row, if they continue after another to really unlock bonus weapons. Just did this for the M195 :/ So I need to beat every Japan level again to get my bow :(

While Hitman 2 feels pretty stiff by today's standards, this collection is made even more enjoyable and refreshing after having suffered through Absolution only a month or two ago. Going back to the open-ended design of these games helps wash out the grimy aftertaste that Hitman: Conviction left behind.

"Suffering" through Asbolution, really? It's not Blood Money, I'll give you that but 2 and Contracts were probably best left in the past. I enjoyed them somewhat back when they were new but it's very difficult to play them nowadays when standards have risen. If anything, I was suffering trying to finish Hitman 2. Trial and error has little place in games these days. Skill and forethought sure, but trial and error is and should be long gone.

ScOULaris

Indeed. Shows how little time people actually put into playing Absolution.

There's a reason for that. People didn't like what they were playing, so they stopped.

Arguing otherwise is like saying that FFXIII is a good game because it opens up 30 hours in.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
There's a reason for that. People didn't like what they were playing, so they stopped.

Arguing otherwise is like saying that FFXIII is a good game because it opens up 30 hours in.
We're going to keep going in circles here but I just can't wrap my head around your distaste for the game. You KNOW it's a different type of game. Do you simply not enjoy stealth games? Yes, it may be a disappointment, but get over that and try to enjoy it for what it is.

I know what it is to be disappointed when a sequel fails to match your expectations, but sometimes stepping away and considering what the game actually has become and giving it a second shot can really change things.

That said, the whole Dexter Industries section was definitely the weakest point in the game and left a bad taste in my mouth as well.

It's a solid game whether or not it plays like a past Hitman game or not.

Moff

It's a solid game whether or not it plays like a past Hitman game or not.

the problem is that many people dont seem to understand what "hitman" game is and how it plays. and that almost every game played very differently.

I can understand everyone who says it needs to be like blood money, and if you come of that road I'll hate it. because absolution clearly took a few steps back to hitman 2: silent assasson when it comes to storytelling and linearity. absolution didnt bring anywhting to the hitman franchise that has not been in one of the previous games, especially silent assassin. although I insist that absolution is not as bad as hitman 2, I am ready do discuss that on every level.

question is, why did they even go back?
it came to my surprise that blood money is not the clear fan favourite. if you look at the old polls on the official forums you'll see that silent assassin is surprisingly (for me) popular. blood money was even names one of the biggest disappointments. what people forget that blood money was heavily critizised when it launched by the hardcore fans, especially for its disguise system, just like absolution.
personally I think absolutions disguise system is one of the better in the franchise (it has always changed like many other things) and the improved gameplay made the linear hitman2-like levels a lot lot more enjoyable, it does not become a splinter cell game just because stealthing (which has always been an intergral part of hitman gameplay) is now actually well done, as well as it doesnt become a max payne, just because shooting mechanics have improved a lot.

tl;dr hitman games have always changed, a lot, they all have their hardcore fans in the hitman community, and absolution stays true to that and offers everything a hitman game needs.

althoug, on a personal note, because I am a blood money fan, yeah I would have liked to see moren of the big sandbox levels, but its not like they werent in the game. and I hope they focus more on that in the sequel.

stn

I'm not saying Blood Money and Contracts weren't trial-and-error, just that Silent Assassin was the worst in that regard. I actually found Blood Money to be very consistent with the AI, I didn't have much issue.

But yeah, I DO plan to finish Absolution. I love the franchise and 47 in general, and I recognize that its a SOLID game. I just don't think its as good as its predecessors. Its still a solid game in its own right.

Moff

maybe we have different definitions of trial & error then.

In hitman games, I basically find a perfect way through a level with trial&error, which is pretty much the same as creating a plan. this trial&error process can take several hours. the perfect execution will take maybe 10minutes.
it has been like that in all 4 hitman installments. but maybe other people play it differently. for me its pure trial&eror, rather a puzzle game than anything else.

ScOULaris

Hitman games are only trial & error when you're trying to find the perfect, Silent Assassin route through any given level. When you're first playing through a level, you can just explore and observe the environment. If a guard sees past your disguise or some other shit goes down, you can silently off him before he radios for backup. OCD players will instantly re-load their most recent save or restart the mission when something like that happens, but they should instead just try to experience the level naturally first time around. It's a lot more fun that way. Restarting every time you make a single mistake is not the ideal way to play Hitman games, even if it's necessary when going for perfect SA runs later on.

The only thing I will say about Hitman 2 is that it's AI was too inconsistent to be able to explore comfortably on most levels. On Anathema, guards see through your disguise if you walk right by them, and on other levels that's fine. The Japan levels have eagle-eyed snipers and ninjas who ask for your ID if they spot you from a mile away. It's frustrating and quirky, but the game still succeeded for its time because its sandbox approach and cool vibe made it unlike anything else on the market.

Contracts and Blood Money both improved vastly on the consistency of the AI and the controls from Hitman 2, but Hitman 2 is always going to be competing with Blood Money for crowd favorite because it was the first really good Hitman game. Codename 47 was more like a blueprint of the core gameplay possibilities, but Hitman 2 was the more polished, complete, and multi-platform incarnation that followed. Hitman 2 was my favorite for a long time simply because I liked its story and vibe the best. I also really like its sound design. Weapons sound better in Hitman 2 than they do in any other game in the series, IMO.

okay this is quite glitchy on the PS3. ive had like 10 hardlock crashes so far :/ and its always in the menus, never ingame.

Raptomex

So is there anything really different about the games or just visual upgrades, nothing more? I'm really curious about 2. Any gameplay changes?

Kureizu

okay this is quite glitchy on the PS3. ive had like 10 hardlock crashes so far :/ and its always in the menus, never ingame.

I was having crashes when creating/loading a profile in Blood Money on my PS3. Turns out it has something to do with the internet connection. I just unplug the ethernet cable if the game freezes and I regain control.

Try doing that, it might be the same issue.

I keep trying to decide if I should get this. I love and hate the Hitman games and I never got a chance to play Blood Money

ScOULaris

I keep trying to decide if I should get this. I love and hate the Hitman games and I never got a chance to play Blood Money

If you have a PS3, then the answer is yes. Go get this collection and experience the best realization of the Hitman "formula" to date. If you were unfortunate enough to have played Absolution, this will be a sort of palate cleanser to wash out the shitty aftertaste of that game.

It's only $40, and you get all three of the only Hitman games worth playing in HD, running at a smooth framerate, with trophy support and a unique artbook case.

Edit: If you have a 360 and don't care that much for Hitman 2 or Contracts, just pick up Blood Money.

jimi_dini

Finished all missions on professional. Last one was crazy. Really enjoyed it, but the last mission - had to try around 30 times or so.

EDIT: platinum is mine :p

Robso

Sorry if already asked. I recently bought the trilogy and I have never played a Hitman game before. I realise that the first game was on PC. Does Hitman 2 follow on from the first?

Just wondering if it's worth playing the first game before the trilogy.

Thanks.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry if already asked. I recently bought the trilogy and I have never played a Hitman game before. I realise that the first game was on PC. Does Hitman 2 follow on from the first?

Just wondering if it's worth playing the first game before the trilogy.

Thanks.

Yeah, it does - and no, it's not worth playing.

Pikma

Banned
Damn, guards in Silent Assassin are like supersharpenedsenses and fuckingeyesintheback aware, it's like they have a database in their brains which recognize familiar and unfamiliar faces, it takes them like two seconds two get alerted and 0.01 ms to shoot at your face.

Once you know their patterns they're pretty easy to avoid, though.

jimi_dini

FYI: Trilogy is 15pounds @ zavvi

Just got the PGM Sniper (non-silenced) on Professional. That was quite a hell lol

EDIT Platinum for Hitman Contracts done. Now for the real meal - Blood Money.

Not to bring the conversation back to Absolution too much, but I just downloaded the sniper challenge that came with the HD trilogy. This is the most addicting thing I have played in forever. I cannot stop going for higher scores and trying for Silent Assassin. It's so good, I can't believe it.

ScOULaris

Not to bring the conversation back to Absolution too much, but I just downloaded the sniper challenge that came with the HD trilogy. This is the most addicting thing I have played in forever. I cannot stop going for higher scores and trying for Silent Assassin. It's so good, I can't believe it.

Yeah, it is really good. It's better than the entirety of Absolution, sadly.

MG310

Going through Hitman 2 on Professional to get the last trophies (5 Silent Assassin ratings and finishing the game on Expert/Professional).

Noticing that the level of guard suspicion in Absolution is definitely more on par with Hitman 2 than Blood Money...especially with regards to running. Blood Money you can get away with quite a bit before you blow your cover even on Professional.

Robso

Began Hitman 2 the other day. Is it not possible to put your big weapons away? And if not won't I then get caught by guards for holding this big sniper xD?

Thanks.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Began Hitman 2 the other day. Is it not possible to put your big weapons away? And if not won't I then get caught by guards for holding this big sniper xD?

Thanks.

Nope, you can't magically slip that sniper rifle into a coat pocket. You gotta dump it.

Robso

Nope, you can't magically slip that sniper rifle into a coat pocket. You gotta dump it.

Yeah, I found out not long after asking. Not like some games where you can slip everything away xD.

Just on the second mission, St Petersburg and I just keep getting spotted. Have barely been seen by guards but then all of a sudden they unfortunately are looking for a suspicious bald guy. Any tips, guys?

I'm a total newbie to this series.

Top Bottom