• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Holy shit, Internet Reversi and other Zone.com games (from Windows Me/XP) still work

I don’t know why did I do that, but I just turned on old Windows XP and opened a default Internet Reversi game - and, boy, people are still playing this in 2015. I found an opponent in few seconds, played a bunch of games with them and even kinda chatted with him via preset messages. I checked out other games and they work too. I wonder if their Windows Me counterparts still work, but now I wouldn't be surprised if they do.

Zone.com redirects to some very 2009-ish MSN-subscription-based free-to-play service (?!), and yet built-in Internet Windows games still work. Wonder why Microsoft kept them working but shut down original Xbox Live, ha ha. I also wonder why GameSpy/Nintendo WFC were shut down too - it's not like they used more advanced matchmaking technologies than built-in Windows games.

Blizzard

Banned
That's neat, like a secret game club.

I kind of miss when Yahoo had card games. I met a friend that way playing Euchre years ago.

nubbe

I'm sure Nintendo took the opportunity to blame Gamespy for shutting down WFC
The eShop still work on Wii, but that generates some money

Would probably have cost to much to buy what was needed while also taking over the operation, for no real benefit.

Wii mini also lack online...

ike_

That's hilarious. I remember playing some zone dot com games way back when.
I suck at chess (and I'm pretty sure everyone online was cheating).

Wake me when anyone gets Yserbius going again. Best MMO two thousand and forever.

Komo

Banned
Great, now I can't stop playing Zone.com games

Now I know what it feels like to be my mom back in the mid 2000s

FujitsuHeatpump

Neo Member
I had a lot of good times playing Midtown Madness 2 online via MSN Gaming Zone, I'm really tempted to install it and see if the multiplayer still works.

Menome

I had a lot of good times playing Midtown Madness 2 online via MSN Gaming Zone, I'm really tempted to install it and see if the multiplayer still works.

I lost hours of my life to the Cops & Robbers mode with the gold-heist. That's something GTA needs to incorporate into multiplayer.

Recharg3

I remember a story before it may have been told by Phil Spencer that once when they took down the servers for these old game he got a call from the then CEO either Bill or Palmer questing why these servers where down as he would often play these games still and had a few friends including other CEO's who would still play and to get the servers back online immediately

I remember a story before it may have been told by Phil Spencer that once when they took down the servers for these old game he got a call from the then CEO either Bill or Palmer questing why these servers where down as he would often play these games still and had a few friends including other CEO's who would still play and to get the servers back online immediately

Yup. This may be a secret Illuminati clubhouse. That you exposed op! Quick, change your identity! Leave the country! Now!!

I'm sure Nintendo took the opportunity to blame Gamespy for shutting down WFC
The eShop still work on Wii, but that generates some money

Would probably have cost to much to buy what was needed while also taking over the operation, for no real benefit.

Wii mini also lack online...

The Wii Shop Channel (it's not called “eShop” on Wii/DSi) does not use Gamespy servers.
There are Wii games still playable online, such as Just Dance 2015, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, Goldeneye 007… shocking, right?

Mondrian

This is how I felt when I found out you can still play some dreamcast games online through official servers. I think quake 3, phantasy star online, and starlancer still work.

This is how I felt when I found out you can still play some dreamcast games online through official servers. I think quake 3, phantasy star online, and starlancer still work.

PSO still works!? I know they shut down the gamecube one that I never got to try..... :'(

Edit: never tried the online service, game was awesome.

Waaghals

Playing Monster Truck Madness 2 on the Zone was my first online gaming experience.

That and being destroyed in Outwars Trial version.

Mondrian

PSO still works!? I know they shut down the gamecube one that I never got to try..... :'(

Edit: never tried the online service, game was awesome.

Actually I misunderstood, looks like PSO official is shut down. You can still play dc PSO on private servers though. I think the last official dc server went down last year, it was for 4x4 evo. Disregard this old news!

Zubz

Banned
That's pretty neat! I love it when services are still active long after they should've died. Like the Space Jam website, for instance.

Top Bottom