• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homefront |OT| of The Greater Goliath Republic

soultron

Banned
DigiMish said:
Seems lame that the drone models are the same for both sides with just a texture swap.
IMO, it makes sense within the world's fiction. Guerillas take Korean vehicles and repaint them so friendlies won't fire upon them. Something like that.

Man I really need a demo for this game. I'm interested in both the single player and multiplayer. They have potential, but I disliked Frontlines and I don't want to blow $60 on a game a may very well dislike.

madmook

Yeah gonna wait for a demo. As it is a fps, gotta make sure the controls feel good. Hated the way aiming felt in the Bulletstorm demo, and that saved me a purchase. Still baffles me when a fps game in this day and age doesn't have smooth, precise controls.

soultron said:
IMO, it makes sense within the world's fiction. Guerillas take Korean vehicles and repaint them so friendlies won't fire upon them. Something like that.
There are no guerrillas in multiplayer IIRC.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
madmook said:
Yeah gonna wait for a demo. As it is a fps, gotta make sure the controls feel good. Hated the way aiming felt in the Bulletstorm demo, and that saved me a purchase. Still baffles me when a fps game in this day and age doesn't have smooth, precise controls.

Controls feel like CoD, but with a bit more weight.

CoD Homefront Bad Company 2
|----------|-----------------------|

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Loved Frontlines, love Kaos, and digging the new THQ. I can't wait to get my hands on this game. Suburban America should make a great backdrop for a FPS, and I'm excited to see how far they push an occupation storyline.

soultron

Banned
Square Triangle said:
What is the connection between this and Freedom Fighters? That was such a fantastic game.
It's a similar invasion storyline like Freedom Fighters. There is no actual connection.

In my opinion, it's just nice to explore the concept again. I really wanted a FF2, so I was disappointed with licensing hell (IO Interactive now being a Eidos/Square-Enix developer instead of an EA house, IIRC) killing the chance of it ever happening.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
north-korea-is-best-korea-420x309.jpg

You're slipping GAF, lol

Edit: Fixed due to grammar police quote citation >_> <_<

benjipwns

Banned
Deadly Cyclone said:
Sorry for not killing the tags but has it been said how much of this territory we'll visit?

I don't obviously mean in an open world way, but will there be missions in Wyoming, Kansas, California, and so on? The Rockies, deserts, plains, etc.

Just wondering. One thing I liked about Left 4 Dead 2 for example is how it replicated aspects of the areas you traveled to even though the levels were separate campaigns.

Kaos' previous game Frontlines: Fuel of War is one of the most underrated games of this gen, with huge multi-players maps, 50 players online on the Xbox, and a surprisingly good single-player campaign. I'm certainly buying this.

And glad to see the drones are back. Loved them in Frontlines.

bangai-o

Banned
i wonder what role Mexico plays in this. The timeline saying Texas leaves the union in 2016, Mexico closing the border in 2022, and the map indicating Mexico took back some of the territory from Texas.
Without any American support, the cartels probably end taking complete control of the country. They might even end up with their own civil war as the Juarez and Tijuana cartels fight over trade routes with the Korean Republic.

the pacing of the multilayer looks similar to Halo's. I am interested.

thechemist

83% from PSM3.

CVG said:
Homefront's single-player campaign is five hours long, according to the latest review in PSM3 magazine.

Last week Official PlayStation Magazine Italy delivered its verdict on THQ's and Kaos Studios' upcoming shooter, awarding it an impressive 9/10 score.

This week PSM3 has put the FPS through its paces and given it a score of 83% in its six-page review.

And despite the campaign's length being on the short side, the mag says it doesn't feel it's a major problem:

"That short, short length of the main story may seem like a major sticking point, but it isn't as significant as you might fear," it says. "Homefront is relentlessly brutal and constantly puts you in new, unusual and memorable scenarios, varying the pace to keep things interesting."

PSM3 admits it was left wanting more at the end, "but not because we felt that the story was lacking or that we hadn't been playing for long enough - we were just keen to keep playing".

Multiplayer also fared well, with PSM3 praising guns that "really come into their own" and a battle point system ensures that games "rarely feel one-sided".

Homefront is already off to a good start thanks to record pre-order numbers for publisher THQ.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/292449/news/homefront-campaign-is-five-hours-long/

Great! ...I was debating whether or not HF would be worth picking up. Sounds like this game may replace BC2 as my go-to multiplayer game for the next (hopefully?) couple or few months.

The best buy pre-order deal also sounds tempting. I currently lack a headset.

CVG said:
Multiplayer also fared well, with PSM3 praising guns that "really come into their own" and a battle point system ensures that games "rarely feel one-sided".

Fuck yes, this is what I was most curious about.

Should we make a meetup thread? I have this preordered on Steam.

Steam ID: anton_sugar

Deadly Cyclone,
You should put somewhere (in bold!) that this is a Steamworks game and supports Steam/Clan Groups

GreatSage

Banned
luxarific said:
Five hours. Wow, that's short, even for me.

Which is as long as Medal of Honor, which had a better SP campaign than BLOPS, MW2, and BC2.

But I'm still gonna skip it --- if I need another FPS before Crysis 2, I'll pick-up Bulletstorm.

sam27368

Banned
Just watched all the media for this, it does absolutely nothing for me.
They're selling the game purely for the bros who need to TAKE BACK AMERICA DUDE!

GreatSage said:
In a nutshell, people who play BLOPS are brain-dead.
I hate it when people state this, the single player campaign of Black Ops had an extremely unique and decent story. Far more in depth and "plausible" than this shit (and by shit I mean the story presented to me in the videos I have seen so far. I haven't played the game so no I have no opinion on that).

GreatSage

Banned
sam27368 said:
I hate it when people state this, the single player campaign of Black Ops had an extremely unique and decent story. Far more in depth and "plausible" than this shit (and by shit I mean the story presented to me in the videos I have seen so far. I haven't played the game so no I have no opinion on that).

I don't agree with it, dude, but that's what they're trying to say.

sam27368

Banned
GreatSage said:
I don't agree with it, dude, but that's what they're trying to say.
Sorry I didn't aim it at you, I know you weren't. It just seems like a selling point for a lot of shooters these days. "We're like COD but more in-depth".

I'm not even a fan of COD but the impact no4 had on the online gaming community is outstanding and it was extremely in-depth yet easy to pick up hence why it's gained such a mass audience. Anyone who states there shooter is like COD but more in-depth is just lazy.

5 hours? Blegh, I will wait to see if a MP demo comes out. This isn't day one for sure, maybe on discount unless a MP demo can blow me away.

Javaman

Zenith said:
dammit, I knew their spiel about making a "proper" SP campaign this time around was bollocks.

Any word on bots for MP? That would add quite a few hours to "sp" for me.

Just so everyone knows, I'm pretty sure they've stated on their forums that they're not planning on releasing a demo. Maybe Deadly Cyclone has more info?

sam27368 said:
Sorry I didn't aim it at you, I know you weren't. It just seems like a selling point for a lot of shooters these days. "We're like COD but more in-depth".

I'm not even a fan of COD but the impact no4 had on the online gaming community is outstanding and it was extremely in-depth yet easy to pick up hence why it's gained such a mass audience. Anyone who states there shooter is like COD but more in-depth is just lazy.

CVG called it a thinking mans black ops. Stop hating a game you haven't played for something they didn't say.

ArjanN

sam27368 said:
Just watched all the media for this, it does absolutely nothing for me.
They're selling the game purely for the bros who need to TAKE BACK AMERICA DUDE!

Oh, come on, Back Ops story was way less plausible.
Homefront has Korea being much more powerful than in real life and invading America.

Black ops had magically brain-washed sleeper agents, Russian invasion of America, kennedy assassination conspiracy etc..

And Black Ops was at least as 'America, fuck yeah!' as Homefront.

Wow, great multiplayer info here: http://www.battlestrats.com/_/general-news/homefront-multiplayer-preview-r695

Haven't finished reading through it myself, but for anyone wondering what the MP is all about, this looks like it explains it well.

Battle Points:

Battle Points (BP) are this new in-game mid-match economy system that is separate from XP. Players can purchase new weapons, equipment, drones, airstrikes, and even vehicles by spending Battle Points earned by actions you do in each match. The difference between Homefront and other games that do this, such as Shadowrun or Counterstrike, is it's not only at the beginning of each game but in the middle of the match itself! The point is to allow players to purchase weapons, gear, airstrikes, and vehicles on the go via the D-Pad whenever they need it instead of having to wait and respawn to change your class or loadout or by getting killstreaks to unlock such abilities.

Need an anti-vehicle weapon to take out that tank or helicopter? No need to die and switch loadouts, just purchase it instantly on the d-pad with Battlepoints. Want an airstrike to clear out the corner of the map filled with enemies who are camping? Instead of earning it through kill streaks, which may never come, buy it with Battlepoints and light those suckers up! Too far away from the action? Use your Battle Points & deploy a drone to quickly get to your teammates for aid!

You earn Battlepoints just by playing and reaching certain accomplishments during each game played. The most basic thing you can do to earn some BP points is just get some kills. Certain kills like headshots, avenging a teammate, and blowing up vehicles will earn you more BP. Not everything is kill orientated though. You also will earn BP for capturing or defending objectives depending on the game mode and marking enemies with the recon drones. Basically anything you can do that helps you and your team will earn you some BP.

You must decide what approach you will take. A Spend-or-Save choice. For Example: Do I spend on this small yet potent air assualt drone now, or save up for the full Apache Helicopter? Every purchase matters and could be the thing you or your team needs to turn the tide of battle!

You can even spawn in vehicles by spending your Battle Points!

From the spawn screen you can select a vehicle, spawn directly in it, and get right in the action by spending those Battle Points you've earned. No longer are you limited to spawning at your base and waiting for a new vehicle to spawn only to have four teammates waiting to hop in before you. Instead of racing to get in you can spend the points you've earned and spawn inside one. In Homefront they want to do everything they can to get you right in the action and helping in the battle.

Battle Commander:

The Battle Commander is a AI director that watches and tracks everything that is going on in the match for both teams. Each team has their own Battle Commander and as the game goes on members of each team will receive orders from these commanders.

For example: If a enemy player is sniping and killing all of your teammates, all of those kills are tracked by the Battle Commander, and eventually the Battle Commander will give you orders for a one star mission to take out that specific target. If you succeed and complete the assigned mission then will get another. Advancing to a two star mission that is tougher then the last and this cycle keeps going on all the way up to five star missions.

For completing missions you earn bonuses or benefits that will help you out in the match. You can get increased movement speed, earn a flak jacket for extra health, or earn a personal UAV sweep to spot where enemies are located. The better you do, and the more missions you complete, the more buffs you will receive and as you accumulate more and more you become increasingly harder to kill. Dying results in these bonuses resetting along with your star ranking (see below) but not before the player receives a nice chunk of BP for being a major threat.

In game bonuses are not the only thing you gain from completing these missions. As you complete more and more missions you'll rise in star rank which is sort of like the star level of the missions you do. What does this mean? Well this goes along with a sort of 'Wanted Level' mechanic. If your able to become a five star soldier, one of the finest on the battlefield with all your bonus upgrades, then the enemy's Battle Commander may issue a order for your death. Tasking players on the other team to take you down as a five star mission.

Homefront's Lead Multiplayer Designer Erin Daly explains, "We haven't found camping to be such a big issue in this game, because there are so many different tools with which to take out those players. With Battle Commander, if they're doing really well they become a threat and the AI will assign players to go take them out."

Gound Control mode:

Ground Control consists of a line of objectives, usually 3, which teams fight for control over. When a team holds them long enough, they will end up winning the round, which will move the line to a new area on the map. Going from area to area as the line moves changes the type of battlefield your fighting for control over. One moment you'll be fighting in a wide open area good for snipers and vehicle combat but when that round has been won and the line moves the map shifts to a new area with completely different cover and make up to it. So you could go from wide open to close quarters. Meaning you'll likely have to change up your tactics as you go along.

Dabanton

MP sounds delicious i really enjoyed Frontlines with the renewed push this game is getting it should have a healthy MP community.

sflufan

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
There was no Russian invasion of America in BLOPS....

But there was an American invasion of Soviet territory and an American attack on the Soviet space program.

Anyone claiming that CODBLOPS was even remotely "plausible" needs to look up the definition of that word again.

Haunted

So the SP campaign takes around as long to complete as it does to read through the OP of the OT? This can't be a good sign.

Also :lol @ terrifyingly plausible. Says a lot about [what they think of] their intended audience.

The year is 2025.

The U.S. is a fledgling economic disaster.

So both Koreas decide it's time to bomb the shit out of it.

Albertan Canadians are laughing.

HOMEFRONT

It couldn't get any more fucking scientifically plausible than this.

daviyoung

Banned
The more people hate the implausibility of the story and the length of the campaign the more I want to play it.

Bring it on!

Top Bottom