• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homefront |OT| of The Greater Goliath Republic

I really, really, really find it hilarious about the plotline being the reason people aren't interested. If anything, this type of thing makes me MORE interested in the game.

I'll probably wait for a Steam sale though, I don't "Day Won" as much as I used to with how fast prices drop these days.

flyinpiranha said:
I really, really, really find it hilarious about the plotline being the reason people aren't interested. If anything, this type of thing makes me MORE interested in the game.

I'll probably wait for a Steam sale though, I don't "Day Won" as much as I used to with how fast prices drop these days.

Not even for the free copy of Metro 2033 and unlocks?

First of all, Im very excited for this game. Preordered the 360 version about 2 weeks ago on Amazon.

Second, of course there are going to be a ton of snipers in this game. Its a FPS that has sniper rifles. Play Medal of Honor. You'll play levels the size of a box, but it doesnt prevent EVERY SINGLE PERSON finding a spot, taking a seat, and sniping the entire match despite gametype. BUT it sounds like you have a LOT more ways of handling snipers in this game and if they get anything actually rolling, they are literally going to get called out.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
bangai-o said:
uh.....

pre-order cancelled

Homefront has a variety of maps, in the few I played I did not notice snipers dominating.

Plus, if you play Battle Commander mode and a sniper starts demolishing your team the Battle Commander AI will mark him on your map and you'll get a bonus for killing him.

SOLDIER

Have there been any PS3/Xbox 360 comparisons?

I'm having a copy mailed to me that's PS3, but I'm thinking of going to Target and switch to 360.

Mr. Snrub said:
Way to latch onto one half of the sentence, dude. Sniper friendly could just mean big, with tall vantage points.

This is what I mean. Too many FPS these days try to weaken sniping so much in fear of sniper dominance that it's almost not fun to play as a sniper these days. Homefront has some nice tall and large level vantage points but not once did I ever feel that snipers were dominant because of it.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'm not at all a fan of COD-esque games but the ridiculous concept alone has me sold...

sneaky77

flyinpiranha said:

I agree, the only reason I am interested in this title down the line is for the storyline

dustin

Neo Member
Can't wait for this game, but I have a problem. I was watching a developer commentary of the game and the whole time he was saying how you aren't a soldier in the army, you're a member of a guerrilla resistance, meaning there wont be cinematic COD fire fights or high tech weaponry, but rather slower, more rag tag combat with crappy weapons. I'm totally down for that, but I have yet to see a single player video that actually showcases this. In every video I've seen, you have a fucking M4 with an ACOG scope or SAW fighting Koreans head on and militaristic-ly. That's not what guerrilla warfare is. The game looks great and I'm psyched to play it, but do we know if it ever actually plays like a guerrilla war, akin to something like the Che lead Cuban revolution, or Michael Collins era IRA? That'd be a very different shooter, and I'm just curious if that's what we're in store for.

Dave Long

Banned
If it's like Frontlines, the maps will have plenty of ways to approach the snipers without having to run across massive open areas to get there. These devs really understand the idea of urban and industrial design and giving players the ability to stay hidden while still moving.

MechDX

Marty Chinn said:
This is what I mean. Too many FPS these days try to weaken sniping so much in fear of sniper dominance that it's almost not fun to play as a sniper these days. Homefront has some nice tall and large level vantage points but not once did I ever feel that snipers were dominant because of it.

Have you played MW2? Sniping is to the point of being ridiculous.

Rikyfree

I'll get it simply for the fact that I can off some north koreans in virtual form. I'll feel like I'm finishing what my grandfather started.

dustin said:
Can't wait for this game, but I have a problem. I was watching a developer commentary of the game and the whole time he was saying how you aren't a soldier in the army, you're a member of a guerrilla resistance, meaning there wont be cinematic COD fire fights or high tech weaponry, but rather slower, more rag tag combat with crappy weapons. I'm totally down for that, but I have yet to see a single player video that actually showcases this. In every video I've seen, you have a fucking M4 with an ACOG scope or SAW fighting Koreans head on and militaristic-ly. That's not what guerrilla warfare is. The game looks great and I'm psyched to play it, but do we know if it ever actually plays like a guerrilla war, akin to something like the Che lead Cuban revolution, or Michael Collins era IRA? That'd be a very different shooter, and I'm just curious if that's what we're in store for.
At certain points you get support from an AI controlled tank that fires heatseeking rockets. Is that what you mean?

No I think that's just PR talk. As you say, what they've shown doesn't look like anything out of the ordinary. I expect all the resistancey stuff to be confined to the non-cutscenes.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
JoeBoy101 said:
Game is slightly intriguing, but 5 Hours of gameplay???

Will wait for sale.
People that judge the entertainment value of a single player experience by using completion time as the predominant metric should be forced to play AC1 over and over again until they get the point.

Tunavi

Banned
I'm really intrigued by the story, especially since I grew up right outside of San Francisco. I just got got Bulletstorm Day 1 last month, so I won't be getting this now, but I do want to play this eventually and I hope it does well if it deserves it

eshwaaz

SapientWolf said:
People that judge the entertainment value of a single player experience by using completion time as the predominant metric should be forced to play AC1 over and over again until they get the point.
Both extremes are bad. No one wants pointless padding, but for those of us who are only interested in single player, 5 hours is disappointingly brief. There's nothing wrong with expecting a certain amount of entertainment value, and it's not like there are no examples of action games that offer quality content and reasonable length. Dead Space 2 is, for all intents and purposes, an action-shooter, and it took me around 10 hours the first time through with no filler. Not every action game needs to be 10 hours, but 5 is just middling.

And yes, I'm aware that an avatar quote is inevitable.

pakkit

Banned
The premise isn't that ridiculous compared to "alien invasion" or "black ops." Sure, it's attempt at being realistic is a little hamfisted, but if it can actually pack in the emotional charge it's premise holds, then I'm all for it. The multiplayer looks a little to COD'd for me, but single player certainly holds a bunch of promise.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
eshwaaz said:
Both extremes are bad. No one wants pointless padding, but for those of us who are only interested in single player, 5 hours is disappointingly brief. There's nothing wrong with expecting a certain amount of entertainment value, and it's not like there are no examples of action games that offer quality content and reasonable length. Dead Space 2 is, for all intents and purposes, an action-shooter, and it took me around 10 hours the first time through with no filler. Not every action game needs to be 10 hours, but 5 is just middling.

And yes, I'm aware that an avatar quote is inevitable.
That depends on a whole wealth of factors. Campaign length is ultimately a meaningless metric without context or qualification. And according to John Davison's survey, most players never finish the games they purchase.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Like I said folks, my 3 chapter playthough was 3.5 hours, so the game will be longer than 5 depending on how you play. There is a lot to do and see, and that one reviewer may have just sprinted through the game.

We should see what others say as well before having mild heart attacks. :p

Any word on how replayable the campaign is in this? 5 hours might not be so bad if its worthwhile to run through a bunch of times.

Them's my rules: You can either be short and replayable, or meaty and linear, but you can't be both short and linear. Not for my money anyhow.

Deadly Cyclone said:
We should see what others say as well before having mild heart attacks. :p

No kidding, everyone needs to chill. ONE source said 5 hours.

Speaking of more impressions...when should other reviews hit?

1-D_FTW

"Steam Clans" Hot damn. Sounds great. Really wish they'd put out a demo though. The CoD influence really scares me off.

Who do I have to slap to get BF3 to have Steam Clans? Seriously, I'll do it. Just tell me who.

Raul_Atreides

Neo Member
I've been interested in this game since that great backstory trailer from last year. It had a great style and uh.. Red Dawn was one of my favorite movies as a kid.

Helps that the multiplayer looks so potentially interesting. Maybe i missed it in the (awesome) OP, but how is the persistent stuff handled? I saw that there were ranks, do they do anything(cosmetic/skins/etc)? Unlocks are on a per battle basis as I understand it, so that's good.

Raul_Atreides said:
Helps that the multiplayer looks so potentially interesting. Maybe i missed it in the (awesome) OP, but how is the persistent stuff handled? I saw that there were ranks, do they do anything(cosmetic/skins/etc)? Unlocks are on a per battle basis as I understand it, so that's good.

COD-comparable customization, it seems. Looks like different weapon skins and a host of attachments.

And while BP unlocks particular items in battle, there is still a experience point system that gives you traits/perks and levels for unlocks.

Deadly Cyclone said:
Timeline:
  • 2011: North Korea faces another UN sanction over its latest nuclear test.
  • 2012: Kim Jong-il passes away, he is succeeded by his son Kim Jong-un.
  • 2013: Kim Jong-un is awarded the Nobel Peace Prize and featured on the cover of Time Magazine for his accomplishment of Korean reunification.
  • 2014: American military withdraws from the Korean Peninsula. General Motors declares bankruptcy for the second time.
  • 2015: The effects of peak oil are felt as gas prices reach up to 20 dollars a gallon due to a war between Iran and Saudi Arabia. Russia cuts off all oil trade with Europe. Survivalist literature becomes best selling in America. China's influences diminish.
  • 2016: America withdraws its military from Japan and other countries overseas, focusing on its instability back home. Texas splits from the United States, border bloodshed takes place as refugees from other states attempt to enter Texas.
  • 2017: Martial law is declared in the United States as its infrastructure crumbles due to lack of taxation.
  • 2018: Japan surrenders to the Greater Korean Republic and is capitalized into a vassal state.
  • 2019: The UN is dissolved.
  • 2020: Canada closes its borders to Americans.
  • 2021: Korean forces succeed in annexing many countries in East Asia. A new pandemic known as the Knoxville Cough begins to spread in the United States.
  • 2022: Mexico closes its borders to Americans.
  • 2023: The Knoxville Cough ravages the American public. The Korean People's Army reaches 20 million total personnel.
  • 2024: The Greater Korean Republic starts launching their own satellites, claiming to bring a message of peace to the world.
  • 2025: An EMP Burst is emitted by a Korean satellite, it completely destabilizes the United States infrastructure. This is followed by the Korean seizure of Hawaii and landings in San Francisco. Korean paratroopers are dropped into central United States.
  • 2026: The United States is split into two as Korean occupiers irradiate the entire Mississippi River and occupy the Western side.
  • 2027: The United States Armed Forces are completely scattered.

You know what... I'm not an American, so I don't know directly how bad things are over there- but I do know that their reliance on oil is probably going to be something that really hurts them in the coming 1/4 century.... but that sounds like a plausible future (well for America, perhaps not for Korea becoming a super power. Why them? They rely on Oil just as much as the rest of the world right?

Personally I think the first region of the world to convert completely to clean electricity stands in good stead to become the next super power. If those countries can develop a way of generating enough power to simply sell their surplus energy to countries that need it... they're going to freakin own!

legacyzero

Banned
jambo said:
Don't care if the story is whacked out, I'm buying this for MP.
THIS.

Anybody that played Frontlines FOW and halfway enjoyed it. This game looks like Frontlines on Charlie Sheen.

GreatSage

Banned
ColonialRaptor said:
You know what... I'm not an American, so I don't know directly how bad things are over there- but I do know that their reliance on oil is probably going to be something that really hurts them in the coming 1/4 century...

To me the timeline reads like a load of shit -- the geopolitical climate doesn't change that quickly even during wartime.

As for America's reliance on oil -- in 50 years the country with the largest oil reserves will be America's biggest ally and nearest neighbor.

DangerStepp

My interest is a bit piqued. I don't think I will be day-one, though. I'll wait for some more reliable feedback, especially concerning the PC version.

Sinatar said:
It's a multiplayer focused game, I wouldn't stress the single player too much.
Man I miss those days when shooters had great campaigns, and the premise to this one at least sounded interesting. Well OK, I'm out.

mujun

As a fan of Frontlines I was pumped for this already but listening to Jeff talk about it on Weekend Confirmed stoked the hype train fires even more. I'm hanging to play something that has some nice drama/intensity to it's campaign. Hopefully this game pulls it off.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I preordered this for OnLive. Anyone else? I don't have any OnLive friends so please PM or post if you'll be doing this for OnLive!

Sinatar said:
It's a multiplayer focused game, I wouldn't stress the single player too much.

I'm primarily a Single Player game player, I play some Multiplayer - but I don't have the time to devote hours and hours of gaming to levelling my character etc.

Not enough shooters these days make the multiplayer about having some 'pick up and play fun for anyone at any time' and rather all try and copy COD to be 'addictive'.

I want everything to be unlocked at the start so I don't have to invest 20 hours in multiplayer to unlock everything that it takes to make it more fun to play.

I think the fact that I got sick of playing Black Ops multiplayer within two weeks after playing MW2 multiplayer solid for 6 months has something to do with my shooter fatigue. I REALLY HOPE for the single player to be different enough to keep me enthralled (I'm playing Killzone 3 at the moment and finding that it's not - but Bulletstorm certainly is).

For those still wanting to preorder on PC, get it on d2d. They got 20 percent off all games with coupon code: hangover

for spring break. steamworks supported blah blah

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
You know, if they hadn't tried to pretend their story was "terrifyingly plausible", more people would have just gone along with it. Once you put that out there, it makes people actually LOOK at the backstory.

WHICH IS RIDICULOUS. Everything goes wrong at the same time for everyone on the planet, and North Korea is randomly not affected because... er... some reason? Also North Korea and South Korea reunify in like two years.

That said, it looks like their actually putting a lot of effort behind this game. I might buy it soon.

Top Bottom