• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hometown Story |OT| - Capitalism, Ho!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This is totally the game I'd be all over except for all the other fucking games released for the 3DS this month. X, Y, Rune Factory 4, EO Untold, and just today Ace Attorney 5. Ridiculous. I'll probably come back to this game sometime around spring next year.

Any impressions from GAF folks who bought this? All I've heard so far hasn't been too good. I was going to get this game initially, but then the early impressions came in about how the game is super slow (even for a Harvest Moon type game) and how the overall quality of the game from music to the amount of items you can sell is below par.

I ended up canceling my preorder but I'd like to see more reviews and such before completely writing off this game...

You scared me so I started looking for more impressions and found this Harvest Moon forum with a bunch of people playing. Everything sounds pretty pessimistic up until the last page or so, where people are starting to go "oh wait, now that I've got the hang of it it might be better."

Even with that, I'm also considering dropping my pre-order, but it sounds like there's a glimmer of hope.

Kirie

Oh, I was one of the ones that posted more of the negative comments about it over on Fogu. I'm around 11ish hours into it and I really, really want to like it but the game makes it so hard at times. Especially just coming from a game like RF4 which is a LOT more polished (and way more fun) in my opinion.

Main thing if you do end up getting it: don't treat it as a Harvest Moon spin-off of any sort. I knew that it wouldn't be before I got into it, but others have been let down because of it.

Also, don't expect Recettear level of gameplay in this. It's extremely dumbed down in comparison. The game does get a bit better when more people start moving into town and you have a bit more interaction and such, but the actual gameplay is really dull.

I don't like telling people whether they should buy something or not, but I will say that you should definitely look into it carefully to see if it's for you before purchasing it.. mainly because there are so many great games out right now and it would suck to spend money on something that you don't enjoy or think is sub par.

I hardly ever write a long detailed impression post like this, but I'm almost 30 hours in and I just can't stand it anymore...

Despite being the brainchild of Harvest Moon creator Yasuhiro Wada, Hometown Story is much more the amateur product of developer Tox Box. This was apparently their first solo game effort and it shows.

The camera is awful, swinging about at wild angles but never giving you a good look at your surroundings, and there is no way to control or change it, so prepare to get really lost in your first several outings outside your shop. The fact that some maps seem designed to be maze like or take extra time to traverse does not help.

Not that there's much of a reason to do so, because there's very little interaction to be had with the NPCs. There are random sub-events you can trgger, either by entering the map they are in or having them enter your store, but in order to complete these events, you must buy key items from the vendor who sells stuff to you daily. Oh, and his selection is utterly random. And the game doesn't keep track of which subevents you've triggered, so you might need to take notes.

I haven't found anything likable about the gathering / selling aspect, as I've only found two spots in town to gather items to sell from, and only one of them is remotely reliable. The majority of goods you sell you'll be buying from a vendor who comes to your shop once a day. You can also buy items to sell from the stores it town, but there seems to be no rhyme nor reason as to when they are open or closed, so you're better off not doing so at all.

There seems to be no way to decorate your own room, and the only options for decorating the store are a clunky method of laying shelves down, and one piece of wallpaper my vendor had in stock about two weeks in. And the days are slow going, as you cannot leave your house until you open your store, and it remains open no matter what you do until midnight that evening, around which time everyone else has gone to bed.

Of course, leaving your shop open unattended for hours at a time is actually a legitamate strategy, as you get bonuses to the money you receive based on how many customers you ring up at a time, and most customers will patiently wait in line for hours.

I'll add here that you can only put one item on table, even if you have 20 of the same kind, and you have to set each price individually, per item, so it's a huge time sink to sell anything for more than the default price.

Also, the game seems to have some bugs, as twice in a row I have received 0 gold for serving multiple customers. It's not even that the x2 bonus didn't show up, it just showed my total sales as 0 and added no gold to my purse.

Lastly, I think the avatar customization is pretty poor, if only for the fact that they give you a limited number of clothes, hair, but especially hair colors to choose from, and you can only get more by buying Fashion Magazines randomly stocked by the vendor. And each magazine you get adds only one color / style.

...It's not that the game is completely devoid of fun. It's fairly playable, even with it's bugs and poor controls. It's just not particularly engaging. Almost like Toy Box took a look at Harvest Moon: A New Beginning and, without understanding it, tried to emulate it.

I'm assuming any bugs will be fixed for the Japanese release in December, and maybe they will even add features, but that doesn't do this release good...

apricot

I'm a huge fan of Harvest Moon, Rune Factory etc. and was skeptical to pick this one up because of the art style, but now... yeah, I'll probably wait until I can get it really cheap or just skip it altogether. Too many other good things out there right now.

I decided to post additional impressions as I continue to play... It seems like no one's really talking about this game (not that I can blame them)

So, I finally figured out how to expand my shop (you must use 'Request' from the blacksmith brothers, and it requires 10 wood randomly carried by the vendor) and I have had more NPCs that sell things come into town, like a farmer who sells crops and a herder who sells animal goods. The game is starting to pick up a bit, but it's flaws still keep it from being a great game.

I do believe there is a bug in which a sub-event with the restaurant owner will continue to be set up to trigger even though you've completed it, which seems to keep the restaurant goods from increasing in quality...?

Also, I've found that when serving multiple customers, if you do not wait for the sales money to do it's little animation as it heads into your purse, you will not get the money for that purchase. Of course if you wait for the whole animation to play out, you might miss out on getting the bonus for multiple sales. Basically it's a huge pain.

I've been officially introduced to two of the bachelors and all three of the bachelorettes, and I'm not particularly impressed. Two of the bachelorettes (Mika and Haruka) look pretty similar, and I found it hard to believe that one of the villagers (Shinji) was a bachelor as he seems completely stricken with this other villager. Of course, the only male villager I really like is a hunter named Wilhelm and despite looking as young as all the other characters, he's a father of one, so you can't marry him.

I'm a week into month two and the scenery hasn't changed at all, so it doesn't work like the Harvest Moon and Rune Factory games where each month is a season. I'm starting to worry that the town won't change with the seasons at all, but we'll see.

I've gotten about 5 wallpapers and 7 different shelves, so I can customize the general look of my store well enough. Still can't customize your room, but it seems to gain furniture as you expand your shop. I'm on my second shop expansion and it added a fireplace.

...however, my inventory is overflowing with key items. I've cycled them in and out of the shop (you'll know within about a minut if an item is going to trigger a sub-event once you put it out) and I've still got tons of them. Also, you can't seem to ditch the fashion magazines that you need to buy for extra hairstyles, as random villagers won't touch key items. The game could really use a place to keep items you don't want to sell, instead of grouping everything under your shop inventory.

Vandole

If anyone is starting to make their Christmas lists I just wanted to give this thread one last bump and remind people this game exists. And after about 20 hours I've decided that it is actually not half bad. It's not as good as most of the Harvest Moons or Rune Factories, which is what most people will want to compare it to, but after finally figuring out how to play it I've started to enjoy it. Plus if you're burned out on those series (and it's hard not to be burned out on Harvest Moon if you've played that series as much as I have), this is a great alternative.

The main key to the game really seems to be disregarding the most fundamental element of a successful Harvest Moon experience - routine. You don't want a routine in this game because if you do, you'll miss something. The quicker you can come to terms with this, the more you will enjoy the game.

The main key to the game really seems to be disregarding the most fundamental element of a successful Harvest Moon experience - routine. You don't want a routine in this game because if you do, you'll miss something. The quicker you can come to terms with this, the more you will enjoy the game.

Please elaborate. Do you mean go out and explore?

Top Bottom