• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West |OT| Red Head Redemption - II -

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Lets talk about combat for a bit. I finally got the Slicing Hunter bow last night which makes combat much more fun. I had invested all my skill points into the Hunter skill tree upgrading to the last tier and was still struggling to take down enemies. I think they are far too aggressive in this game and barely ever stop to recover from their attacks. I recorded a fight where raptors and scorchers basically gang raped me constantly jumping at me with absolutely no recovery time between attacks.

With this new Slicing Hunter bow, I can easily take out their components in 1-3 hits. It has the full bow bonus that they introduced in the Frozen Wilds DLC. This time it has a nice click noise to let you know its fully corked up which is a nice touch. The combat instantly feels better.

I also unlocked the valor that gives you more critical hit chance + damage which for some reason is in the melee skill tree. Maybe these valor changes and new skill trees will make sense in the mid to late game, but right now, I dont think unlocking new skills has had any appreciable impact on me getting more powerful.

I also dont like how they tied the 3 arrowshots to a skill. It basically removes any experimentation with L2+R1 attacks since that is easily the best skill for any fight.

And lastly, its disheartening to see your arrows doing 1 damage on body shots. I get that its more realistic but come on man, every enemy in this game is super aggressive which means hitting the damn weakpoints is already hard enough. Getting 1-2 damage just feels like Ive wasted every shot that didnt hit a weakspot.

RafterXL

What lag? The speed of crafting is tied to the speed of the slowdown effect: it's fastest with no slowdown and for people who need a bit more breathing room in combat, the speed is much slower. If they had one speed for crafting, there would be zero incentive to play with the faster combat is no slowdown.
I'm not talking about crafting speed, I'm talking about how the UI literally lags out when adjusting this setting. You can clearly see it studdering, everything from the progress wheel to the +5 arrows created message lags horribly like the fps is tanking to single digits. Hell, even changing weapons is much worse.

Seriously, put that setting on "none" and then move the weapon wheel around in a circle. Then put it on "slowest"...choppy as hell. It's significantly smoother on none and gets progressively worse the lower you change the setting.

There is no way in hell this is intended because even the default setting is worse than "none".

Last edited:
First night shots after killing everyone in the rebel base. Having a dance right now
VpxJEEI.jpg
CgUSLxl.jpg
dIIvkI8.jpg

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I won't spoiler anything but I recently ran into them and I hope that isn't the last of them. I am really into where the story seems to be going and there seems to be some character development coming for Aloy.
There are Prime Specters but i haven't encountered one yet.

Fess

And lastly, its disheartening to see your arrows doing 1 damage on body shots. I get that its more realistic but come on man, every enemy in this game is super aggressive which means hitting the damn weakpoints is already hard enough. Getting 1-2 damage just feels like Ive wasted every shot that didnt hit a weakspot.
Yeah I agree on this, even early on it’s clear that the big focus this time is weak points and weaknesses. Had some issues taking down the gang of acid bristlebacks outside the daunt, not sure if I did it wrong but focus zoom aiming the weakpoints when multiple enemies charge you wasn’t optimal.

jorgejjvr

A stamina bar isn’t revolutionizing open worlds
The open air concept and the idea to climb literally anywhere, I haven't seen as well executed as there

In that game if I thought of something, I could most likely do it, use a long line of metal swords to make a really long electrical current to solve a puzzle? Works, wasn't even the "right" way of doing it

G-Bus

Banned
Had some crazy slow down that stayed and had to reset the game. Caught on geometry and in a hole, couldn't get out. Restart. Aloy wouldn't grab a section while climbing and I got stuck on the side of a mountain until I was finally able to get her to grab back on to the holds.

All in the span of a half hour and I had enough. Turned it off for the night. Hopefully see a patch sooner than later for some of this stuff.

Surprised to see this in a first party Sony game.

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Yeah just got to this part and the story in this game is amazing!

The enemies they've introduced have been bad ass, and the character designs are incredible. The Sci Fi lore is really rich in this and so much better told to than the first.
I also really dig the overarching plot. Some unexpected turns. Curious how it will unfold.

Also cool to have these sci-fi settings in contrast to all the natural parts of the game.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Man. The hunting trials still are a pain in the ass.

I'm not talking about crafting speed, I'm talking about how the UI literally lags out when adjusting this setting. You can clearly see it studdering, everything from the progress wheel to the +5 arrows created message lags horribly like the fps is tanking to single digits. Hell, even changing weapons is much worse.

Seriously, put that setting on "none" and then move the weapon wheel around in a circle. Then put it on "slowest"...choppy as hell. It's significantly smoother on none and gets progressively worse the lower you change the setting.

There is no way in hell this is intended because even the default setting is worse than "none".

Just tested this. I have zero difference in the UI speed of weapon selecting or in the messages showing up in the crafting log across all slowdown settings.

TheAssist

I am so impressed with the cutscene animation. Even the most mundane side quests are well animated and voice acted. And like really good animation and cinematic camera angels. Really impressive.

Not so impressed with the way parts of the scenery pop into existence a lot of the times during cutscenes. Makes the picture look very unstable.

I keep hearing from players and reviewers that it's a proper sequel, and improves on the first game in so many ways, yet it has a slightly lower MC score than the first.
They got screwed over with that MC score. I usually don't put stock in reviews but I like seeing a high MC when a game really deserves it. It really is better than the first in every way and deserved over a 90

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I like the game but it’s so bloated. So much open world crap and combat is annoying.
Gear system is a bit too confusing, skills are pointless.
So much resistance and weaknesses. You even have to shoot explosive barrels with right arrow… cmon.
So I carry 3 fucking bows with me and bunch of other crap weapons.

I enjoy some of it but it’s too complex… in a wrong way. And I am at 18% after 20 hours. Who are these super long games for.

And it’s not like you can explore. Playing main story first is essential before exploring and side quests. Then I find myself 2 levels below recommended and grind side quests…. This game did not had to be an rpg. And don’t get me started on stash and cost of tear arrows crafting. Wtf.

Story, graphics, production are all great

I keep hearing from players and reviewers that it's a proper sequel, and improves on the first game in so many ways, yet it has a slightly lower MC score than the first.
Metascore has nothing to do with if a game is better because if you released a game from say 2016 now it would get a much worse score.

A few hours in and I have mixed feelings. I like the world, visuals, the combat. The writing and story aspects I’m having a difficult time staying engaged.

. Some of the dialogue is ropey to say the least and I’m already fed up of the “saviour” remarks which reminds me of Mass Effect Andromeda’s constant “pathfinder” label in conversations.

The first one wasn’t perfect however I feel it was better paced and easier to follow from a story aspect.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

I like the game but it’s so bloated. So much open world crap and combat is annoying.
So much resistance and weaknesses. You even have to shoot explosive barrels with right arrow… cmon.

I enjoy some of it but it’s too complex… in a wrong way. And I am at 18% after 20 hours. Who are these super long games for.

And it’s not like you can explore. Playing main story first is essential before exploring and side quests. Then I find myself 2 levels below recommended and grind side quests…. This game did not had to be an rpg. And don’t get me started on stash and cost of tear arrows crafting. Wtf.

Did you play ZD cos everything you said was in the first game.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Question for people who have the PS4 version of the game.

Does it have a motion blur toggle, if yes, is it a toggle or an Uncharted/TLoU style slider to select intensity ?

Markio128

Gold Member
I find myself not wanting to complete the main missions because the side quests, errands and jobs are so well done. 15 hours in and I’ve probably only opened up a quarter of the map, if that - and there is still a ton of stuff to do in the areas I have opened up. It’s up there with the Witcher 3 for me, where I just want to soak in the world for as long as I can.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I was at the first hunting grounds doing that trap challenge and a scrounger lured me under a trap and killed me with it. :messenger_crying: Fuck this.
Fed Up Reaction GIF
Hunting ground challenges offer pretty shit rewards. Just do side missions which give you 2 skill points each.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
I just discovered this game doesn't support the PS5 auto HDR ajust calibration settings. I've left hdr settings to default and hdr on which doesn't look quite right, so what settings are people using please?

Has anyone followed this guys settings?

Belthazar

The game is definitely less polished than the original, bit I can't be too mad at it with the amount of fun I'm having. The world is WAY more interesting this time, I've been playing for around 5 hours and there seems to be something interesting to see or do at every corner.

Dr. Claus

Banned

I am enjoying the game, but I agree with you. Its an issue with 99% of open World games though. The “systems bloat” seems to be a prevailing issue with AAA games these days in general as well. So many systems that ultimately don’t mesh well together and just waste the players time. Instead of focusing on a handful of systems that flow into each other and create depth, they toss as much as they can at you and its depth is that of a puddle.

As for the art direction, I really love it in this game. Story is interesting, but Aloy is still rather bland. Also still not sure why they made her even more hideous in this game than the first. But oh well. Just reached the point of the story and passed the mountain ranges.

I am enjoying the game, but I agree with you. Its an issue with 99% of open World games though. The “systems bloat” seems to be a prevailing issue with AAA games these days in general as well. So many systems that ultimately don’t mesh well together and just waste the players time. Instead of focusing on a handful of systems that flow into each other and create depth, they toss as much as they can at you and its depth is that of a puddle.

As for the art direction, I really love it in this game. Story is interesting, but Aloy is still rather bland. Also still not sure why they made her even more hideous in this game than the first. But oh well. Just reached the point of the story and passed the mountain ranges.
What is this weird thing about people saying Aloy is hideous? Everyone was calling her fat in pre release footage too. Did you expect her to look like a fake Instagram model?

I don’t think Guerrilla set out with the idea of creating material for gamers’ wank banks.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Banned
What is this weird thing about people saying Aloy is hideous? Everyone was calling her fat in pre release footage too. Did you expect her to look like a fake Instagram model?

I don’t think Guerrilla set out with the idea of creating material for gamers’ wank bank.

Been stated numerous times with numerous threads about the subject, I would advice you to actually read - but given your immediate response is the typical “you just want masturbation material“ it is clear you have no intention of having a discussion and instead just want to continue to create strawman arguments and be a disingenuous troll.

Top Bottom