• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West |OT| Red Head Redemption - II -

Been stated numerous times with numerous threads about the subject, I would advice you to actually read - but given your immediate response is the typical “you just want masturbation material“ it is clear you have no intention of having a discussion and instead just want to continue to create strawman arguments and be a disingenuous troll.
I can’t see any reason why anyone would care about how a main character in a game looks (or any person in general, for that matter), apart from either sexually or romantically.

I am aware that this “Aloy’s looks” obsession has been stated in numerous threads; that’s exactly what I said in my comment.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Man the NPC's in this game puts....yep no question about it!
Every other game's main character to shame.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Aloy looks just fine. I really don't get all the people saying she is ugly.
Jokes aside personally I've never given that much thought about Aloys personal appearance, and without imperfections of any scale that just isn't realistic and I like realism in my games. Some people just want an unobtainable godess to drool over when getting fully immersed into a character and thats fine as Well if that's what floats there boat.

Woggleman

I love the sci fi thing but I find the tribal politics much more interesting than the first game. Every side has real reasons to be the way they are.

Played a bunch today. Good use of my one off day. Didn't move the main quest forward that much but I mixed things up nicely. Main stuff, sidequests, combat trials, hunting grounds and one of those ruin thingies that are like puzzles. All in all it was a productive Sunday. :messenger_sunglasses:

Reactions: TGO

sendit

Playing in 60FPS and it’s still gorgeous. All these folks playing in 30fps I just don’t understand it but I’m glad we have options.

Agreed. The difference between 30 and 60 FPS is resolution. The detail in performance mode is still there with the added fluidness of 60 FPS. I'm not exactly sure how anyone can play this in 30 FPS resolution mode, its a blurry/choppy mess the moment you start moving and turning the camera.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

karen gillian would be perfect

https%3A%2F%2Fnetflixlife.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2021%2F05%2F1206135155.jpeg

Reactions: TGO

decisions

The 60fps looks like a blurry mess with horrible AA. It is one of the worst performance modes we've seen on PS5 yet. You can't expect all that to be visible in YT compression.

I've played nearly every game that offers it in performance mode, because normally the only difference is resolution. But here, with resolution mode literally making this the best-looking game of all-time, I find it to be way more enjoyable playing in resolution mode. I get used to 30fps in 20 mins. or so no problem. And let's be honest while 60fps feels better to play this isn't Devil May Cry. You don't need 60fps to accomplish anything in this game,

I understand why some people will choose the performance mode (I also don't have an OLED which supposedly handles 30fps even worse), but IMO the performance mode is just not acceptable. It needs work. The resolution mode absolutely feels like the better way to play to me. The game has problems, but in resolution mode it is seriously stunning visually, only a few times a generation do you get something so graphically ahead of the curve.

Really enjoying it so far, only about 4 hours in, but:

-Combat is markedly improved over HZD
-animation rigging/mocap is solid
-side quests are improved
-good pacing
-decent story telling/acting
-onscreen geometric density is impressive, and it’s actually high quality
-Dat water (haint even seent the ocean yet)
-photo mode options are plentiful

I’m sure there will be more goodies that will draw me in further.

Only gripe, we need a 40FPS mode for 120hz. Horizon has a feed back/support subreddit, y’all should blow it up with that feature request. Quite a few other people on there up voting like minded replies.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
The 60fps looks like a blurry mess with horrible AA. It is one of the worst performance modes we've seen on PS5 yet. You can't expect all that to be visible in YT compression.

I've played nearly every game that offers it in performance mode, because normally the only difference is resolution. But here, with resolution mode literally making this the best-looking game of all-time, I find it to be way more enjoyable playing in resolution mode. I get used to 30fps in 20 mins. or so no problem. And let's be honest while 60fps feels better to play this isn't Devil May Cry. You don't need 60fps to accomplish anything in this game,

I understand why some people will choose the performance mode (I also don't have an OLED which supposedly handles 30fps even worse), but IMO the performance mode is just not acceptable. It needs work. The resolution mode absolutely feels like the better way to play to me. The game has problems, but in resolution mode it is seriously stunning visually, only a few times a generation do you get something so graphically ahead of the curve.
Maybe that’s my issue. I have an LG C1 and can’t play in resolution mode because the motion at 30fps is so … I don’t know how to accurately describe it. It’s like the instant response redraw of the pixels on screen is so fast, that the camera is still showing characters in multiple spaces on the screen as they move.

I know I’d want to play in 30 FPS, but I just can’t seem to on my TV.

Ulysses 31

Maybe that’s my issue. I have an LG C1 and can’t play in resolution mode because the motion at 30fps is so … I don’t know how to accurately describe it. It’s like the instant response redraw of the pixels on screen is so fast, that the camera is still showing characters in multiple spaces on the screen as they move.
That's stutter caused by OLEDs fast pixel response time.

Agreed. The difference between 30 and 60 FPS is resolution. The detail in performance mode is still there with the added fluidness of 60 FPS. I'm not exactly sure how anyone can play this in 30 FPS resolution mode, its a blurry/choppy mess the moment you start moving and turning the camera.
I’m playing on a 1080p tv and the difference between resolution and performance mode is pretty stark in terms of picture clarity for me. I’ve played the first few hours in resolution mode and now switched to performance. Love the smooth frame rate but there’s a noticeable visual downgrade. I’ll push through and get used to it though cos 60fps is way better.

If I wanted to show this game off I’d be showing it to friends in resolution mode I think.

eNT1TY

My goodness,, it's the best looking video game i have ever seen, period. It was previously Cyberpunk on my 3080 rig followed by Forza Horizon 5 or modded RDR2 on the same rig. Granted Cyberpunk with maxed RT on quality dlss setting on a 1600p ultrawide isn't far behind on the raw visual spectacle on display but it does so at twice the framerate (mostly). Will double dip when PC version of Forbidden West comes out to play it at its highest potential. Just goes to show you that talent is a bigger factor in the final output of a game than the hardware it's on. I'm sure the LG c1 that is paired to the PS5 contributes a fair bit to how good HFW looks and that wow factor that put a grin on my face. Cyberpunk has more advanced graphic technologies rendering the scenes but at the end of the day your eyes don't give a fuck how an image is constructed only the final output on display and Forbidden West ate Cyberpunk's lunch for me in that regard. The richness and density of the materials and assets on display and just the world in motion are second to none. Thoroughly impressed.

zkorejo

Yeah just got to this part and the story in this game is amazing!

The enemies they've introduced have been bad ass, and the character designs are incredible. The Sci Fi lore is really rich in this and so much better told to than the first.
Please just answer this without spoiling in yes or no.

is sci Fi lore still presented solely as hologram/audio logs?

Fess

I like the game but it’s so bloated. So much open world crap and combat is annoying.
Gear system is a bit too confusing, skills are pointless.
So much resistance and weaknesses. You even have to shoot explosive barrels with right arrow… cmon.
So I carry 3 fucking bows with me and bunch of other crap weapons.

I enjoy some of it but it’s too complex… in a wrong way. And I am at 18% after 20 hours. Who are these super long games for.

And it’s not like you can explore. Playing main story first is essential before exploring and side quests. Then I find myself 2 levels below recommended and grind side quests…. This game did not had to be an rpg. And don’t get me started on stash and cost of tear arrows crafting. Wtf.

Story, graphics, production are all great
I am so sorry but I’m like 3% in and this is just music to my ears. I love open world games, I love RPGs, grinding can be great if the combat is fun, and long games are awesome if they’re fun.

BUT…
What I do not like, at all, this far… is the climbing.
I didn’t like it in the first game and I feel like it’s even worse now. It’s more vertical now and you still have to search for the right spot to climb. Before launch it sounded like climbing spots would be everywhere but it’s not true at all. They’re rare. I find myself jumping far too often up against walls and constructions in hope of finding something to latch on to, without success. It’s really annoying. They didn’t have to go all BOTW with free climbing but they should’ve done it like in Assassin’s Creed. The linear climbing isn’t fun anyway.

If there is one thing that would shave off a point from this otherwise fantastic game for me, it’s this.

Last edited:

Are you playing in game optimiser mode?

Try turning off VRR and turn on motion pro to either low or medium. To my eyes, those settings seemed to help make bearable at 30fps

DaveinAmaze

Neo Member

Try setting the motion blur to low in the in game settings. I'm playing on a C1 too and found that made playing at 30fps much more better

kyliethicc

I just discovered this game doesn't support the PS5 auto HDR ajust calibration settings. I've left hdr settings to default and hdr on which doesn't look quite right, so what settings are people using please?

Has anyone followed this guys settings?

Depends on your TV mostly.

Trial and error. Determine your TV's peak brightness, if you disable tone mapping on your TV, and aim for that. If your TV has tone mapping on, then just try for capping it around 1000 nits. I think I have shadows and highlights at -1 each. Brightness at 0 (default). I let the TV tone map it from there.

Last edited:

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
Anyone complaining about how this game looks has to be trolling.
I just arrived near the center of the map and the visuals just keep on keeping on. Im surrounded by palm trees and about to head north to snow.

Also Im surprised at the story. Its more rich and involved and the characters interact with one another is part if the story too.
Ive been playing for over 25 hours and have obly cracked 18 percent of the game. And Ive only climbed one Tallneck so far meaning my map is surrounded by clouds.

I was originally miffed that I could not climb the second tallneck but the discovery of traveling west without a map has actaully been a joy.

Barrico82

Banned
I just started, either i didnt activate a choice on the option, or i am missing something, in Zero Dawn the collectible plants and the boxes have icon on them now it is only appearing if i scan, how do i make it without the scanning ?

modal_image_gathering.jpg

Mossybrew

Right about 20 hours in. So glad I didn't have anything about the story spoiled, because things take a really interesting turn at the end of Death's Door. Can't wait to see where this goes.

Continue to be impressed by the animation and voice acting, I actually enjoy drawing out conversations, side quests continue to be interesting and unique. Massive improvement over Zero Dawn.

LOVE that you can dye your armor now!

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Sounds like you may not be very good at it

Dunno how anyone could claim the combat is overrated
I am not very good at it.
But also it is just too much. It's not even like I am dying. It's not really too hard. I could always lower difficulty.
It's just tiring. Every single encounter means I have to check the parts on robots, decide what bows to use, what ammo and then shoot these specific parts.
I can wing it and just target whatever part with impact damage if I don't want these parts but it feels wrong.

Banned
another few hours in and I am SOOOO close to turning off voice audio... holy shit that damn bitch can't shut her fucking mouth!

literally EVERY FUCKING obstacle you come across that damn bitch has to have some comment on in how to get across or what to do next, jesus fucking christ

it is in times like that where you just feel who the actual people are these modern AAA games are made for

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I am not very good at it.
But also it is just too much. It's not even like I am dying. It's not really too hard. I could always lower difficulty.
It's just tiring. Every single encounter means I have to check the parts on robots, decide what bows to use, what ammo and then shoot these specific parts.
I can wing it and just target whatever part with impact damage if I don't want these parts but it feels wrong.

As someone who has no problem admitting they're not very good at games that require precise timing and reflexes like this game can demand at times: embrace the slingshot, trip caster, and traps. I mean, it goes without saying right? But I have seen so many people playing the first game and this one who seem to only rely on arrows to do the job, then complain that fights are too involved and take too long.

Just about every type of mechanical enemy that first gave me any kind of trouble can either be annihilated with a single trap that they're weak towards, or in the least will have their best offenses and defenses blown off or disabled by it. And then there's the slingshot which is perfect for putting an enemy on their heels if they manage to avoid your traps.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
As someone who has no problem admitting they're not very good at games that require precise timing and reflexes like this game can demand at times: embrace the slingshot, trip caster, and traps. I mean, it goes without saying right? But I have seen so many people playing the first game and this one who seem to only rely on arrows to do the job, then complain that fights are too involved and take too long.

Just about every type of mechanical enemy that first gave me any kind of trouble can either be annihilated with a single trap that they're weak towards, or in the least will have their best offenses and defenses blown off or disabled by it. And then there's the slingshot which is perfect for putting an enemy on their heels if they manage to avoid your traps.
I don't like stealth. Setting traps is the opposite of fun time.
... I did upgraded stealth tree a bit just for crits from cover and from behind. I try to start every fight from stealth. But I used traps maybe 3 times. Not fun making enemies walk into traps

Hinedorf

Banned
At literally no point in the first game did I ever get confused or stuck on where I was supposed to go 10 hours in I find this game frustrating in understanding exactly where this linear game wants me to go.

No other complaints other than completely awful directing on where to proceed at times

Top Bottom