• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror-GAF |OT|

strafer

So...

IU4il.jpg

Bonus pic

j3JszBKhvX1cE.jpg

V/H/S is godawful. The only thing I liked about it was the story about the girl with the chihuahua eyes, even though the ending kinda sucked and didn't explain shit about what exactly she was.

Well, to be fair that should be expected in these kind if found footage films. It's the same deal with flicks like Cloverfield (where the fuck did the monster come from? Space?) and Paranormal Activity (what is the deal with that damn witches coven?) But yes, V/H/S isn't for everyone, especially those who want coherent stories. My biggest complaint with the film is how they handled the main plot with the thieves. I was hopin for a bit more of a payoff there. Shitty ass ending.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Well, to be fair that should be expected in these kind if found footage films. It's the same deal with flicks like Cloverfield (where the fuck did the monster come from? Space?) and Paranormal Activity (what is the deal with that damn witches coven?) But yes, V/H/S isn't for everyone, especially those who want coherent stories. My biggest complaint with the film is how they handled the main plot with the thieves. I was hopin for a bit more of a payoff there. Shitty ass ending.

The main plot could just as well have been left out of the movie since it was completely pointless anyway, and added nothing to the movie.

Didn't the wraparound take place in the same house as the final tape?

No idea, all I could take from it was that they broke into the house and at the end
a fat, bearded zombie killed some guy.

zerotol

Banned
I just finished watching 'The Poughkeepsie Tapes'. As far as found footage movies go, it was pretty good. It wasn't very graphic, but it really didn't need to be. Most of the people being interviewed did a great job of making it feel convincing, though there were parts that were kinda ridiculous.

Next up will be REC

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Most recent watches : Pontypool, which I found really interesting. Original concept which they executed really well.
Had to force myself through The People under the Stairs, couldn't get into that one at all.

Meesh

Martyrs...after being wrecked by that I looked for something to top it in terms of story, directing, and sheer shock value...in the realm of horror I'm still looking.

Meesh

Well, check out 'A Serbian Film' because it's certainly fucked up!
Congrats to me I guess, A Serbian Film has successfully launched me clear into vertigo orbit! I truly felt waves of nausea...I'm in awe right now so I'm not sure there's more I can add at this point lol.

zerotol

Banned
Is there an easy way to see Serbian Film? Netflix doesn't have it, and I can't rent it anywhere near me.

I'm not sure. A friend loaned me the DVD. You could probably find it on eBay or other dark corners of the internet. If you really want to see this thing, get the uncut uncensored version.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I'm not sure. A friend loaned me the DVD. You could probably find it on eBay or other dark corners of the internet. If you really want to see this thing, get the uncut uncensored version.

Yea, amazon sells the uncensored version. Don't really want to see it that much though.

zerotol

Banned
I'm about 20 minutes into Grave Encounters 2. This wasn't what I was expecting at all.

Edit: Ok, this is even worse than Paranormal Activity 2. Nothing has happened. Nothing.

Combichristoffersen

I'm about 20 minutes into Grave Encounters 2. This wasn't what I was expecting at all.

Edit: Ok, this is even worse than Paranormal Activity 2. Nothing has happened. Nothing.

I actually liked it more than the original Grave Encounters, even though it went rather batshit towards the end.

I also thought Innkeepers > House of the Devil. I thought HOTD's final act was pretty weak after the great build-up; they should've touched on the lore behind the
evil family and devil thing
a bit more I thought.

I went on a horror binge around the time the 31 days of horror thread came out...to name a few:

Lake Mungo

What did you reckon? I really liked that.

It has one of the worst first acts of anything, ever. But it does get better. Not enough so to redeem the first act, but definitely worth watching I'd say.

I give it a solid 7/10.

harSon

Banned
The Silent Night "remake" was actually pretty entertaining. It's basically an homage to the genre, and seems like it was constructed in such a way where it adhere's to every Slasher stereotype. It's quite similar in execution and tone to films from the golden era of Slashers, and if you're a fan of the genre and everything it brings (gore, creative kills, nudity, cheese, dumbass characters, etc) then you'll likely enjoy the film. Malcom McDowell is pretty great in it as well.

zerotol

Banned
It has one of the worst first acts of anything, ever. But it does get better. Not enough so to redeem the first act, but definitely worth watching I'd say.

I give it a solid 7/10.

I just finished Grave Encounters 2. I liked the first one alot more. You're right, it does eventually get better. But it just seemed to drag on forever. It was overall a fun watch, but the ending was soooo bad.

I give it a solid 7/10.

yeah I constantly say the first act of the movie made me believe I might be watching one of the worst movies ever.

zerotol

Banned
Next on the menu for this evening is 'The Descent'. I watched this when it first came out and I remember liking it, so I figure I'll watch it again.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Last night I was really tired when I decided to check out Sinister. After a while, I was wide awake. Damn that movie's great. And pretty creepy.
The moment where a demon kid's face appears next to Ellison, I almost jumped out of bed. First time a jumpscare worked on me since The Descent.
The soundtrack is also worth mentioning, it really adds to the atmosphere.

T.O.P

Banned
Last night I was really tired when I decided to check out Sinister. After a while, I was wide awake. Damn that movie's great. And pretty creepy.
The moment where a demon kid's face appears next to Ellison, I almost jumped out of bed. First time a jumpscare worked on me since The Descent.

Totally forgot about this one, will check it out later, the trailer had me really hyped :D

ThankeeSai

Loving some of the choices so far, so rather than post them again, I’ll go with something a bit different.

Society

society_zpsfa04747f.jpg

Not a horror film per se, but one of the most bizarre and fucked up endings I’ve seen
”Let’s get to the bottom of this!”

The Wickerman

ap606-wicker-man-movie-poster-1973_zps1b1d68fd.jpg

Again, not your typical horror gore/fright fest, but again, a truly horrible ending to this one too.

Hilbert

The Wickerman

ap606-wicker-man-movie-poster-1973_zps1b1d68fd.jpg

Again, not your typical horror gore/fright fest, but again, a truly horrible ending to this one too.

I once read someone describe wickerman in this manner:

"For a Christian it is a horror film, for a Pagan it is a revenge story, and for an athiest, it is a comedy."

I actually didn't care for Wickerman, which is strange because it is the sort of movie I love. Something about it didn't work for me.

Combichristoffersen

"For a Christian it is a horror film, for a Pagan it is a revenge story, and for an athiest, it is a comedy."

I actually didn't care for Wickerman, which is strange because it is the sort of movie I love. Something about it didn't work for me.

I didn't really care for Wickerman either. It wasn't a bad movie, but to me it felt more like something attempting to be a supernatural drama movie rather than a horror movie. I did actually enjoy the Nic Cage remake though, but that was more due to the unintentional comedy of it all than anything else.

Hilbert

I didn't really care for Wickerman either. It wasn't a bad movie, but to me it felt more like something attempting to be a supernatural drama movie rather than a horror movie. I did actually enjoy the Nic Cage remake though, but that was more due to the unintentional comedy of it all than anything else.

I haven't seen the remake yet. Probably never will to be honest :)

This is probably my favorite horror movie of the last few years that got a wide theatrical release. I jumped a few times for sure.

I still need to check out Mama.

Melchiah

I like that, for me it was more of a revenge story / comedy. I always thought the policeman was an uptight ass, who got what he had coming. Even when I saw the movie the first time when I was about 10-11.

It's not really one of my favorites, but I appreciate it for being different from the norm, and not painting everything in black and white, just like Rosemary's Baby.

ThankeeSai

For me, it's something that has stuck with me since I was young. I think I was 9 or 10 when I first watched it (maybe younger actually) and as he
is being led to the giant effigy at the end, I'm sat thinking "Someone will come. Someone will come and rescue him. He won't die.... This guy is The Equalizer for fuck sake!" But of course, no one comes. He is instead burned to death by a bunch of nut jobs whilst they sing songs to their sun god.

Cut to me, sat there, totally blown away, scared to move, totally not expecting that ending, lol.

zerotol

Banned
Check out the Spanish film In A Glass Cage - maybe not as shocking or openly violent as Martyrs, but similarly beautifully crafted & highly unsettling in content and artistic in direction. They're probably my two favorite horror movies.

Or...an animated (Japanese, duh) movie called Midori, about a girl kidnapped by a freak circus. Hard to find, but worth hunting down if you like horror to be actually horrific and disturbing. (I warned you...)

There is more to be unearthed here, if you're curious, though that's about the cream of the crop - many times you'll notice it's difficult to balance shocking content with craft & purpose, and it can be tough to separate the wheat from the August Undergrounds in this subgenre, of sorts, of extreme horror.

I'm having this same problem.

Like i said, my friend loaned me a dvd of Serbian Film. It was the uncut version. but apparently it can be found on the interwebz if you want to see it.

Top Bottom