• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House adopts rule that permits hiding how public funds are used

Status
Not open for further replies.
We fucked up Reconstruction after the civil war and are still paying the price today.
Interesting. Crazy.

I am fascinated by this aspect of American history and culture. There is so much that is wonderful amd progressive about America and yet this undercurrent of hate remains strong.

I guess it really does start with the Civil War. As a Canadian we only ever got the most cursory glance at American history.

I've done a bit of reading as an adult but not enough to feel knowledgeable.

This is like a stupid cartoon where the bad guys just do all the bad things all the time.

But it's real life.

Seriously I'm not an American but lately almost everyday the front page of OT gaf has been 'What shitty thing has Trump done today'. How long before his shit impacts the rest of the world?

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting. Crazy.

I am fascinated by this aspect of American history and culture. There is so much that is wonderful amd progressive about America and yet this undercurrent of hate remains strong.

I guess it really does start with the Civil War. As a Canadian we only ever got the most cursory glance at American history.

I've done a bit of reading as an adult but not enough to feel knowledgeable.

It can be traced further back than the civil war and the antebellum period, too. You can trace the real origins of racism in what would become the United States to the colonial period, when colonies slowly began to push racist policies to extend slavery far beyond the boundaries defined by English common law. Ex.: The colony of Virginia passed legislation stating that the status of the mother would be passed to the child regardless of whether or not the father was a slave, despite English common law precedents which stated that the status of the father would be passed to the child. The reasoning as to why the ruling class of the time would want it inheritable from the mother and not the father should be obvious.

It can be traced further back than the civil war and the antebellum period, too. You can trace the real origins of racism in what would become the United States to the colonial period, when colonies slowly began to push racist policies to extend slavery far beyond the boundaries defined by English common law. Ex.: The colony of Virginia passed legislation stating that the status of the mother would be passed to the child regardless of whether or not the father was a slave, despite English common law precedents which stated that the status of the father would be passed to the child. The reasoning as to why the ruling class of the time would want it inheritable from the mother and not the father should be obvious.
The combination of racism and slavery is truly horrific.

I suppose the notion that people of African descent are subhuman has continued to be passed down, to the point where it has been essentially woven into the fabric of society.

I wonder if there is a solution. How do you untangle it all?

UberTag

I would rather have Palpatine. At least he knows what the fuck he's doing.
I'm fine with Palpatine but that administration needs to be cleansed of both Trump and the Breitbart poison that is infesting it. It can't just be Trump.
Bannon is an unholy unchecked terror right now.

wildfire

Banned
It's already tiring enough keeping track of Trump's efforts to regress our countries. Keeping track of Congress is going to make this exhausting.

SyNapSe

I'm surprised this hasn't got more coverage. Given its not just a hypothetical but can be linked to a case a few months ago that would have protected someone misusing funds.

Fritz

Honest question from abroad: how are trump voters reacting to all this? Do they at all, defensive, supportive or remorseful or whatever?

R0ckman

Cause after all the shit they done did to black people their still here and fighting. How would you feel if your supposed to be "superior" to someone but they still hang around and catch up.

You're normally suppose to turn to the people who brainwashed you and go "Hey what gives, you told us we were superior to them!" But then I guess thats giving them too much credit.

Honest question from abroad: how are trump voters reacting to all this? Do they at all, defensive, supportive or remorseful or whatever?
Probably stopped paying attention now that the popularity contest is over and back to watching Pawn Stars and Duck Dynasty

R0ckman

I was out today doing routine errands. Wal-Mart, Kroger, etc. I looked at people and just couldn't imagine that stuff like this gets back to them. We must have one of the least engaged populaces in the entire developed world.

Facebook and twitter culture destroyed people's minds even more. This is ironic considering its the age of information. Internet social media allows you to build a web of confirmation bias, you can block what exposes lies and you can focus on posting about yourself, what you like and think. No need to research.

On top of this people probably are distracted by trying to feed their families, get a job, get a date etc.

Seriously I'm not an American but lately almost everyday the front page of OT gaf has been 'What shitty thing has Trump done today'. How long before his shit impacts the rest of the world?

It's already happening
Australian is in shock if one parent was Chinese the other was U.K./USA and now, clearly, the normally even-keeled dad has gone mad and is leaving, apparently without giving a shit about us, mum has always had "issues", but money isn't one of them.
we can't have both anymore, we.have to choose and neither choice is going to be easy, the lucky childhood time has ended very suddenly, almost overnight.

Fritz

It's already happening
Australian is in shock if one parent was Chinese the other was U.K./USA and now, clearly, the normally even-keeled dad has gone mad and is leaving, apparently without giving a shit about us, mum has always had "issues", but money isn't one of them.
we can't have both anymore, we.have to choose and neither choice is going to be easy, the lucky childhood time has ended very suddenly, almost overnight.

But that is a good thing in the long run.

640rxAR.jpg

It's depressingly simple. They were convinced that Obama was a secret muslim / Manchurian candidate, so they wanted more transparency. They would have kept demanding more until they found the proof of what they were already convinced of (so they never stopped demanding more).

Trump, no matter what he says or does, they are convinced is a 'good person'. So they don't care about transparency.

It's going to take *a lot* to convince them otherwise too. Because of how hard it's going to be to come to terms with the reality of who they elected. So their brain is going to push back against every piece of evidence that Trump isn't really fighting for the little guy.

It's likely going to take one big shocking thing, rather than a thousand cuts.

krazen

It's depressingly simple. They were convinced that Obama was a secret muslim / Manchurian candidate, so they wanted more transparency. They would have kept demanding more until they found the proof of what they were already convinced of (so they never stopped demanding more).

Trump, no matter what he says or does, they are convinced is a 'good person'. So they don't care about transparency.

It's going to take *a lot* to convince them otherwise too. Because of how hard it's going to be to come to terms with the reality of who they elected. So their brain is going to push back against every piece of evidence that Trump isn't really fighting for the little guy.

It's likely going to take one big shocking thing, rather than a thousand cuts.

It's also the fact that his shit talking/twitter rants/"Im feeling lonely and depressed, lets call a press conference" ways makes him seem as if he's 100% transparent (dem taxes and russian ties tho) and is 'Getting things done' when all Obama did was pray to Mecca for 8 years. I wouldn't be surprised if they think all these orders are bipartisan too.

I would LOVE to see anyone who voted for Trump or republicans defend this shit.

The GOP is fucking diseased to the core.

A lot of Moderate Republicans haven't convinced me of the reasonableness of their party as things like this keep happening without them commenting, let alone pushing back against, something so undemocratic. They only slink in to say how unfairly they're treated on GAF as though the GOP isn't just reveling in the fact that they can do heinous shit unimpeded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom