• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of Cards S5 |OT| What’s said in the family, stays in the family - Netflix 5/30

what I want to know at this point is why is doug so fuckin loyal to Frank...like, did Frank threaten his brother's family several years back or something? or is it worse and doug would put his own godforsaken family on the line for Frank...

his loyalty is so unbelievable. season 6 premier should be a flashback episode

Doug and Frank have a very codependent relationship. Doug needs the validation, direction and purpose that Frank provides. And Frank needs someone like Doug because Doug will literally do anything for Frank and so he enables this dependency.

Doug and Frank have a very codependent relationship. Doug needs the validation, direction and purpose that Frank provides. And Frank needs someone like Doug because Doug will literally do anything for Frank and so he enables this dependency.
why is Doug like that though. He doesn't need to be a sickly loyal servant, he just decided for himself he needs to be. Why? How did it happen? And Frank certainly doesn't think he needs Doug - as he was willing to grant him passage out of his administration when he was recovering.

The latter episodes are really killing my enthousiasm for this season, for some reason. It's like they felt they had to one-up reality, so they decided to go even more ridiculous.

why is Doug like that though. He doesn't need to be a sickly loyal servant, he just decided for himself he needs to be. Why? How did it happen? And Frank certainly doesn't think he needs Doug - as he was willing to grant him passage out of his administration when he was recovering.

That's just who Doug is. He's a damaged man mentally and Frank takes advantage of it.

Just finished it.

Thought it was pretty decent with some highs and lows throughout, the thirst for it to be so self aware was really grating though and it sometimes totally missed the point they were going for.

You can tell the cast are having fun with the ridiculousness of it all and some parts are borderline Scooby Doo territory but they still manage to pull it off.

It does feel like a totally different show to how it initially started, for better or worse.

tootie923

my problem with the Yates character is he's straight up comatose. i like the actor in everything else he's been in but it's like he takes an ambien everytime he's on set for this show

He's really good in The Girlfriend Experience. His character there has actual fire to him and you can tell the actor relishes playing a real jerk. Everytime he shows up here, I tend to start multitasking with my laptop.

I think he's unaware that Frank tried to kill Lisa Ann.

when did he try to do that?

this reminds me of another thing,
Doug fucking Leanne...like, surely Doug is going to care that the Underwoods had her killed, but did they have to fuck for Doug to care, really? He can't just think of her as a friend?

Tovarisc

Scene about two ex spec-ops operators / Scene where he says she has outlived her usefulness => Scene where Le Ann gets chased off the road by big truck

Just wrapped up the season and liked it overall. One long slowburner season all around, but set next (most likely last?) season up nicely while introducing new key players to board.

That
look on Francis face when Claire told him that she killed Tom. It hit him like truck, Claire had changed

Scene about two ex spec-ops operators / Scene where he says she has outlived her usefulness => Scene where Le Ann gets chased off the road by big truck

Just wrapped up the season and liked it overall. One long slowburner season all around, but set next (most likely last?) season up nicely while introducing new key players to board.

That
look on Francis face when Claire told him that she killed Tom. It hit him like truck, Claire had changed
this would make sense if he typo'd and meant Le Ann, because I don't think Frank
tried to kill Lisa Ann, but Doug himself did.

also yeah I don't remember
the look on Frank's face when Claire told him she killed Tom. That was bound to happen when Claire nonchalantly told him that Frank killed Zoey and Peter, but...when are these characters going to learn that killing people that are a threat because of their knowledge, does not solve your problems...these killings will not only raise questions, but their loved ones will start to come after whoever they think are guilty.

Theorry

Holy shit episode 11

Claire finally talking to the viewer. It just came out of nowhere. I really went "oh shit" haha. Awesome. I was wondering if she was always "there" when Francis did it.
Like at inauguration. Guess she was. But didnt choose to do anything. Really hopes she does it more.

I don't know guys, I got 15 minutes into the first episode, and I just feel like... I can't do this anymore. It doesn't feel right with Donald Trump in office, somehow...

Spolierless review:

I give this season 2.5 stars out of 5

The execution of the the story archs were really sloppy to the point where the believability barrier was destroyed and affected how we take this season seriously.

Lots of pointless story plot lines got started too for no reason that fizzled out

Then you have these two characters that dropped from a parachute and for some reason got way too much weight in the latter half for whatever lazy story writer reason.
patricia-clarkson-campbell-scott.jpg

The shock moments did not feel impactful in S5 due to the overall incoherent mess of a season. "oh here is a shocker moment"! Pff

And the ending was so anticlimactic, you saw it coming from a mile away without surprise.
Just a matter of when

Here is how I rank the seasons:
1 > 4 > 2 > 5 > 3

Tovarisc

Holy shit episode 11

Claire finally talking to the viewer. It just came out of nowhere. I really went "oh shit" haha. Awesome. I was wondering if she was always "there" when Francis did it.
Like at inauguration. Guess she was. But didnt choose to do anything. Really hopes she does it more.

They
hinted at that few times over past seasons, especially 4th, but it happening was amazing

I don't know guys, I got 15 minutes into the first episode, and I just feel like... I can't do this anymore. It doesn't feel right with Donald Trump in office, somehow...

Don't quote because tags above.

You should watch this season. With everything going on with Trump and how long time ago this season was written... it's just surreal.

Holy shit episode 11

that was cool, but it seemed kinda inconsequential, ya know?

Theorry

that was cool, but it seemed kinda inconsequential, ya know?

Yeah thats true. But it made the surprise bigger. Just like the first time when she walks back and stares at you. I really thought that was gonna be it. I want her to do it more or even listening to Francis when he does (or maybe she does already dont know) but now its special also. So i dont know really what i want haha.

Yeah thats true. But it made the surprise bigger. Just like the first time when she walks back and stares at you. I really thought that was gonna be it. I want her to do it more or even listening to Francis when he does (or maybe she does already dont know) but now its special also. So i dont know really what i want haha.
it definitely was surprising, but
after the end of the episode I was thinking like,
what's the point? is she gonna be doing this from here on out or was this one random moment?

she technically does it again at the very last scene of this season, so maybe that means she will be doing it throughout season 6

Tovarisc

it definitely was surprising, but
after the end of the episode I was thinking like,
what's the point? is she gonna be doing this from here on out or was this one random moment?

she technically does it again at the very last scene of this season, so maybe that means she will be doing it throughout season 6

I think it's meant to show / signal that Francis and Claire are changing their positions in that relationship of power and power is shifting to her. You as viewer are going from his followers to hers. If that makes any sense.

Salvadora

Re: Claire this season (spoilers).

How could she be so stupid? It's just not believable in any way or in keeping with the character.

Frank & Claire always emphasis being careful and not leaving themselves exposed above all else. See: Zoe & Peter.

In this season Claire murders Tom Yates in the home of a suspicious as fuck character that they have just met. And even gets him to dispose of the body!

I think it's meant to show / signal that Francis and Claire are changing their positions in that relationship of power and power is shifting to her. You as viewer are going from his followers to hers. If that makes any sense.
I think you may be right, now I that I think about it
Re: Claire this season (spoilers).

How could she be so stupid? It's just not believable in any way or in keeping with the character.

Frank & Claire always emphasis being careful and not leaving themselves exposed above all else. See: Zoe & Peter.

In this season Claire murders Tom Yates in the home of a suspicious as fuck character that they have just met. And even gets him to dispose of the body!

when Frank was talking to us I thought it was clear that he knew Usher from before. So
Claire probably did that shit thinking he could be trusted since Frank new him.

Tovarisc

Oh, about Claire reading
manual that came with nuclear football, what that was about? Did I miss some symbolism or that narrative thread just didn't go anywhere?

Salvadora

when Frank was talking to us I thought it was clear that he knew Usher from before. So
Claire probably did that shit thinking he could be trusted since Frank new him.
Doug even said that was the type of person they would crucify before and Frank refused to employ him previously because he couldn't trust someone who would work for free.

why is Yates still on this show

what an awful character

shame cuz I liked that guy in boardwalk

There were several chances they had to kick him off the show but never do it.

Him and claire fighting he could have just disappeared and never came back.
show would't be affected by it.

The total absence of
Jackie Sharp and Rémi Danton
is really striking.

How omitting 2 important characters who had a growing arch across 4 Seasons really is felt in this mess of season 5.

But lol, then they feel free inventing new parachuted characters with Clarkson and Scott

this reminds me of another thing,
Doug fucking Leanne...like, surely Doug is going to care that the Underwoods had her killed, but did they have to fuck for Doug to care, really? He can't just think of her as a friend?
Yes, it was important. They also showed
how that one chick was fucking Doug because he hated her and Doug felt disgusted with himself. He said he'd do it again but he gives a shit. Leanne is potentially the only person with whom he has a real romantic connection with, and who understands the work he does and his loyalty to Frank,
and she's now dead.

Doug is alone and needs intimacy because he's in an abusive relationship with Frank.
We've been building on this since his inappropriate relationship with Rachel, then his inappropriate relationship with Lauren. He is dependent and broken.

@salvadora and spoiled milk I'm on mobile so I will respond to y'all later
Could have been availability issue or falling out between actors and produces [e.g. see IM 1 => 2 cast change]
i dunno about Jackie sharp but cottonmouth said he is done with Cards. I do hope we could at least have a guest appearance from them next season

Krixeus

Love seasons 1-4... definitely down on this season though. Seriously it was so bad.

The big "Reveal"
that Francis was the mastermind behind what may be the dumbest scheme ever
felt so wrong.

After everything they have done he throws it all away
for some vague idea of power beyond the presidency.

I thought that was pretty terrible too.

Button

Banned
Watched first episode. Horrible. Had to skip Tom Yates scenes. He is the worst character in history.

Then I read some of this thread. Conclusion: show is garbage, not worth my time.

I already struggled the past two seasons. I think they should have made things easier for Frank. Seeing him struggling with stuff is just boring. Should have let him be a vicious dictator.

Doug even said that was the type of person they would crucify before and Frank refused to employ him previously because he couldn't trust someone who would work for free.
huh. the Doug comment I actually don't remember but I can believe it. Also, didn't Frank also say that
he and Usher are basically the same type of person, just from different places?
how that one chick was fucking Doug because he hated her and Doug felt disgusted with himself. He said he'd do it again but he gives a shit. Leanne is potentially the only person with whom he has a real romantic connection with, and who understands the work he does and his loyalty to Frank,
and she's now dead.

Doug is alone and needs intimacy because he's in an abusive relationship with Frank.
We've been building on this since his inappropriate relationship with Rachel, then his inappropriate relationship with Lauren. He is dependent and broken.

I just think it's stupid that Doug has to fuck someone to care about them.
Why couldn't it just be delineated that they considered each other friends, and that whether they fucked or not, Doug would be concerned about her fate at the end of the season?

This reminds me of another thing - the Moretti chick that said 'I'm not fucking you coz I like you, it's coz I hate you' wtf?! who says that shit?! why in the world would you have sex with someone you're aware of that killed the person you loved?! ugh

Arttemis

and she's now dead.

This seems toward inaccurate to me.
Doug was involved in everything that Frank secretly set up. Doug clearly lied to her by saying she was in more trouble by keeping Mccallan's data to herself, as she was killed two scenes after handing it over. Their intimate encounter was just that, and while he may have had feelings for her, his MO is to get close to those who will die. He's clearly a disturbed individual, but I don't think this will serve as any kind of catalyst for change. That arc started and ended in season 3.

Just finished. Not a very good season (that I will go further into detail later), but holy shit was the final line of the season delivered horribly

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Spolierless review:

I give this season 2.5 stars out of 5

The execution of the the story archs were really sloppy to the point where the believability barrier was destroyed and affected how we take this season seriously.

Lots of pointless story plot lines got started too for no reason that fizzled out

Then you have these two characters that dropped from a parachute and for some reason got way too much weight in the latter half for whatever lazy story writer reason.

The shock moments did not feel impactful in S5 due to the overall incoherent mess of a season. "oh here is a shocker moment"! Pff

And the ending was so anticlimactic, you saw it coming from a mile away without surprise.
Just a matter of when

Here is how I rank the seasons:
1 > 4 > 2 > 5 > 3
I disagree. This show was on a downward spiral after season 1. What the fuck even happened in between season 2 until season​ 4? There was no real focus on the politics of it all, and every character seemingly had a some sort of thing they could blackmail them with, and every other character would make convenient dumbass mistakes. Don't get me wrong, it still happens, but at least it happens a lot less. At least in this season one of the bad guys got charged, albeit for a crime he didn't do. The ridiculous thing where Francis kept getting what he wanted simply because he was the bad guy and the main character wad absurd. The fact that they felt the need to focus on the sexual stalking of dough, for two fucking years, the show was garbage by the end of season 4. At least in this season we have two competent characters introduced, with their own plans and are not making mistakes for the sake of it.

hydruxo

The total absence of
Jackie Sharp and Rémi Danton
is really striking.

How omitting 2 important characters who had a growing arch across 4 Seasons really is felt in this mess of season 5.

But lol, then they feel free inventing new parachuted characters with Clarkson and Scott

To be fair, Mahershala Ali is pretty big time now so he might not have the time (or even care enough) to be on the show in the capacity he once was.

I agree though, I'd have liked to see them in this season more

WriterGK

For me I watched this season in bing in 33 hours out of the 48 there was from thuesday untill wednesday. It has a lot of flaws. I would give it like a 3-3,2/5
Episode 12 I was like
wtf. Doug Stamper is the white house leak and giving it all to Tom Hammerschmidt like WTFF
And that Mark guy and that older woman WAY too much airtime.

Monocle

This season was enjoyable, especially given the show's history of chasing less than compelling side plots like Doug's sad sack personal life. Finally it's back to politics and scheming in the corridors of power. With style! I love all the fourth wall breaks in this season where Frank interrupts a scene to address the audience. Neat device.

I'm surprised anyone is questioning
Frank's decision to step down from the presidency and enter the private sector
after watching Jane Davis, the power broker with the great hair, sweep in and school everybody. Clearly, it's possible to be frightfully effective when you're not beholden to public opinion and a pack of fickle colleagues who don't all want to help you sieze absolute power for some reason. Also, with potentially dangerous agitators like Hammerschmidt poking around Frank's past misdeeds,
it made sense for Frank to turn the situation to his advantage the only way he knows how: with a highly improbable but expertly orchestrated scheme.

Honestly, I could watch the Underwoods do their thing all day. #TeamDictator

Oh and also,
#I'mWithHer. Go with god, Madam President. Or Lucifer, as the case may be.

TheMan

Yeah, these two power brokers (i guess that's what you'd call them) being so significant is confusing to me, especially the female. She literally just shows up out of nowhere and starts playing a pivotal role in the Underwoods' machinations almost immediately.

oh and i'm also baffled how doug managed to get inside leann. Those legs while wearing heels...my oh my

KarmaCow

Yeah, these two power brokers (i guess that's what you'd call them) being so significant is confusing to me, especially the female. She literally just shows up out of nowhere and starts playing a pivotal role in the Underwoods' machinations almost immediately.

Well episode 12 spoilers
the twist is that Francis has been working on his Claire as POTUS plan since before the Ohio election so she's so involved because Francis brought her on along with Usher.

Top Bottom