• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of Cards Season 4 |OT| Anything for America. Netflix March 4th

Glad to hear the fairly positive impressions of this season so far (I'm steering clear of spoilers).

My girlfriend and I both didn't like the last season and we found the first 2 episodes of this season to be pretty depressing, but we'll definitely push forward with it.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
There is one thing in this season that totally flew over my head and I would like to ask for clarification from GAFers. It's with regard to the whole Pollyhop thing.

So I understand that Conway's buddy buddy with the founder of search engine, Pollyhop. Underwoods wanted to do something about that so they got in touch with some data expert who LeeAnn trust ? I'm not sure exactly what his role is in this whole season and why the whole NSA/FBI/CIA stuff in the last episode is a possible ticking time bomb for the Underwoods. Explanation would be much appreciated :)

I don't have any memory of Season 2. But can someone tell me what Frank did to piss off Freddy and how he ruined his son's life?

Because of Frank's association with Freddy, Freddy was offered the opportunity to franchise is BBQ business and become really successful, then Freddy's son showed up and got into legal trouble, which forced Frank to distance himself, and the franchise opportunities soon followed. Freddy was forced to take a lowball lump sum for his business that was used to bail his son out and he was basically out of a job until Frank offered him a janitor position at the White House.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Because of Frank's association with Freddy, Freddy was offered the opportunity to franchise is BBQ business and become really successful, then Freddy's son showed up and got into legal trouble, which forced Frank to distance himself, and the franchise opportunities soon followed. Freddy was forced to take a lowball lump sum for his business that was used to bail his son out and he was basically out of a job until Frank offered him a janitor position at the White House.

Honestly, to me, Frank didn't do anything unreasonable to Freddy. It's his son that decided to have a gun and also point it at a journalist. That is the reason why the franchise opportunity fell off and forced Freddy to sell his BBQ joint. If there is one thing that Frank has always been very clear on is that he will protect his people. He did it for Meechum, Doug and Freddy.

KarmaCow

There is one thing in this season that totally flew over my head and I would like to ask for clarification from GAFers. It's with regard to the whole Pollyhop thing.

So I understand that Conway's buddy buddy with the founder of search engine, Pollyhop. Underwoods wanted to do something about that so they got in touch with some data expert who LeeAnn trust ? I'm not sure exactly what his role is in this whole season and why the whole NSA/FBI/CIA stuff in the last episode is a possible ticking time bomb for the Underwoods. Explanation would be much appreciated :)

Frank backrooms clearance for increased surveillance under the guise of national security. However it's main purpose is that its used by LeAnn's analyst friend to replicate what Conway's friend does with Pollyhop, but on a larger and more indepth scale naturally since it's NSA stuff. The analyst guy is the one at the top of the operation, meaning he's really the only one who knows what the data is being used for. Near the end of the season, the other government agencies want in on the NSA data and he is pushed out, leaving possible clues for the true purpose of the increased surveillance waiting to be found.

To use his analogy, the analyst guy has been heating heroin with the spoon in his office and now other people can go into his office and smell the smoke.

Honestly, to me, Frank didn't do anything unreasonable to Freddy. It's his son that decided to have a gun and also point it at a journalist. That is the reason why the franchise opportunity fell off and forced Freddy to sell his BBQ joint. If there is one thing that Frank has always been very clear on is that he will protect his people. He did it for Meechum, Doug and Freddy.

Frank didn't do anything wrong really but it's comical how the master manipulator is oblivious to Freddy's feelings.

Also I gotta say that ad-placement for that video game really pissed me off, and took way too much time/opportunity setup. That shits needs to stop.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Wtf is Sony thinking? Maybe Frank's waiting for The Last Guardian?

He remarks that he hasn't had a lot of time to play games since becoming President

I don't have any memory of Season 2. But can someone tell me what Frank did to piss off Freddy and how he ruined his son's life?

http://house-of-cards.wikia.com/wiki/Freddy_Hayes

Guess I was wrong. He was still a bystander though so he's understandably upset that Frank's dirty practices resulted in some of his "friends" getting hurt.

Ultimadrago

I'm a bad human being for wanting Frank to have another overt product placement ala Reciting poetic gaming article about Monument Valley.

It was just so engraved into that episode while being played straight that I couldn't help but like it. I actually laughed out loud.

HMD

I'm a bad human being for wanting Frank to have another overt product placement ala Reciting poetic gaming article about Monument Valley.

It was just so engraved into that episode while being played straight that I couldn't help but like it. I actually laughed out loud.

What about
Agar.io
?

scoobs

So I had to stop watching season 3 at about episode 3 or 4 because of how utterly dreadful it was.

Can someone do a quick recap of the important parts so I can start on season 4 for me? I can't force myself through season 3, I just can't.

pel1300

Don't forget:

-Freddy's own shady past came back to haunt him when Tusk had an article written about it

-Frank wanted to help Freddy with the money to bail his son out but Freddy refused

-Frank offered Freddy some work in the kitchen, but Freddy asked for some outdoors work and Frank said no problem he would work something out.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

He remarks that he hasn't had a lot of time to play games since becoming President

http://house-of-cards.wikia.com/wiki/Freddy_Hayes

Guess I was wrong. He was still a bystander though so he's understandably upset that Frank's dirty practices resulted in some of his "friends" getting hurt.

hmm, I see. But still does not justify his anger to this extent. May be its just me.

Don't forget:

-Freddy's own shady past came back to haunt him when Tusk had an article written about it

-Frank wanted to help Freddy with the money to bail his son out but Freddy refused

-Frank offered Freddy some work in the kitchen, but Freddy asked for some outdoors work and Frank said no problem he would work something out.

Right? I think Freddy is just being an asshole.

abrack08

6 episodes in so far, show definitely got its mojo back after the disappointing season 3. Can't wait to watch the rest.

pel1300

The season was ok. I think the series was at its best when Frank was fighting his way to presidency.

That's why the show shouldn't go on for too long. It's about a man's rise to power and then his short reign and downfall.

And it's also why s1 can never be topped. Frank as a congressman secretly pulling strings from behind the scenes was far more interesting than watching the "Everyone now knows Frank is dirty and hates him, so he can't manipulate them anymore" show.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished S4. It was a marked improvement on S3, which was sort of a plodding exploration of Frank doing president things. This season felt much closer to S1 and S2 since it puts him in a presidential race where he actually has to fight as the underdog in order to gain power. The final few episodes were very powerful, and the way the season ended was quite nihilistic and pessimistic. I love the hell out of it.

Still, nothing can beat S1 and S2. Frank is no longer the true underdog so it will be very hard for the show to reach the same highs as his pre-presidential days.

MartyStu

Watching Claire working to get hers in the first episode was pretty awesome. Do we see more of that the rest of the season?

Finished the first four eps of S4 on the weekend. Pretty bloody good so far.

Neve Campbell is good but Ellen Burstyn has been great so far.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Watching Claire working to get hers in the first episode was pretty awesome. Do we see more of that the rest of the season?

No spoilers, but in case someone doesn't wanna know the answer to your question:

It lasts about half the season before it changes.

MartyStu

It changes but you still get to see a Claire that's more incharge than she has ever been.

Boss. Thanks guys.

In other news:

Me every time Neve Campbell walks into a scene : god DAMN!!

Half the time it is because of her outfit.

Haven't had the chance to start yet, but I must know, did Frank buy a PS4 yet?

Oh god I now have this image of Frank saying something about the streaming capabilities of the Sony Playstation 4, then starting up a presidential Twitch stream, and how stupidly awesome that would be.

I feel like this show has two templates for actresses

Hot straight dark hair older lady
Hot curly lighter hair younger lady

MartyStu

Episode 2: In Which Frank continues to be a raging cunt toward his wife. Not that this is anything new.

Also, Doris has got some serious game. That kindly grandmother schick almost convinced me otherwise.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Just finished it. Loved this season. The only weak part being the middle.

That last scene was amazing.

KingKong

I have to say people being turned away from the gas station was a real shocker, how is that not a full blown crisis instead of just 'gas prices are so high that you wont get reelected'

Finished it tonight, and I feel it barely edges out season 2 as the second best season to date. The middle was eh but it started and finished strong.

I just finished and I think this was the worst season ever.
To top that, dude's willing to plugne the country into chaos just because of his ego. Just when I thought they couldn't make me hate the Underwoods anymore.

Officially out.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I just finished and I think this was the worst season ever.
To top that, dude's willing to plugne the country into chaos just because of his ego. Just when I thought they couldn't make me hate the Underwoods anymore.

Officially out.

But that is what the series has been about since the beginning? The Underwood's doing whatever was necessary (no matter how ballshit it may be) to get what they want. You are suppose to hate them, even if there is some underlying love for them.

Draconian

I have to say people being turned away from the gas station was a real shocker, how is that not a full blown crisis instead of just 'gas prices are so high that you wont get reelected'

Yeah, and it seemed like that episode was the first time it was even mentioned.

Episode 4

Meachum noooooooooooooo. I thought we'd have a Lucas thread going all season. Ultimately, I think this was a good decision by the writers because we've already seen that play out before. Seth will be found out, no doubt about it. Oh, and what a shocker that Frank can be on his deathbed, and Claire's only concerned about herself or getting back at him. This may be a new low, which I didn't think was possible. It's hard not to want her plans to come crumbling down.

Just finished it, maybe I'll write something better later but damn, that last phrase. Walter White levels of badassery.

Overall, not a really good season, but better than S3. Robin Wright (Claire) was amazing, loved every moment of her in there. Unfortunately
they had to bring motherfucking Tom back, so that took a bit from my enjoyment, the guy is terrible. He's to House of Cards what Dana was to Homeland.

S1>>>>>>>S2=S4>>>>S3

This is going the Homeland way, unfortunately. Hopefully they don't drag this too far.

Top Bottom