• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of Cards Season 4 |OT| Anything for America. Netflix March 4th

Halfway through and this season is so fucking good. Mostly because the characters are good or useful again. Claire and Doug (both of whom had an absolute shit of a season 3) are back in top form. Kevin Spacey is still absolutely killing it. All in all fantastic return to form.

Haven't read any of the spoilers and just want to know if Frank and Clair are working together again instead of against each other. I liked the show more when they shared goals and were against everyone else, not getting in each others way.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Haven't read any of the spoilers and just want to know if Frank and Clair are working together again instead of against each other. I liked the show more when they shared goals and were against everyone else, not getting in each others way.

First half, against. Second half, together.

amanset

The "joys" of being ill on Friday when this dropped: I have now seen the whole of the season 4. Felt like a weird waste of a weekend, but what else was I going to do?

I loved it, but then again I'm one of the few that really liked Season 3.

Finished it this weekend.. A helluva lot better than 3. I like that
We had more talking to the audience here than we had compared to season 3. I missed that a lot.

Werd

Re-watching some bits here and there, one minor thing I'd say I liked this season was
showing Claire and Frank rehearsing together before an Oval Office meeting, and I think speeches at another point. Gave a little more weight to them as partners.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Re-watching some bits here and there, one minor thing I'd say I liked this season was
showing Claire and Frank rehearsing together before an Oval Office meeting, and I think speeches at another point. Gave a little more weight to them as partners.
Yeah, the back and forth editing in those scenes was really good also.

kiguel182

Just finished it. It's a much better season than three, much better. The only really downside for me was the extra focus they gave to Doug in the tail-end of the season.

Apart from that, fantastic. I liked it almost as much as Season 1 and probably the same as Season 2.

Also, can someone remember me
why was Frank upset at Francis? I don't remember their fallout

Just finished it. It's a much better season than three, much better. The only really downside for me was the extra focus they gave to Doug in the tail-end of the season.

Apart from that, fantastic. I liked it almost as much as Season 1 and probably the same as Season 2.

Also, can someone remember me
why was Frank upset at Francis? I don't remember their fallout

Doug is so fucking creepy outside of work. Makes my skin crawl.

Kalor

I just finished the series and really enjoyed it. I wasn't optimistic after the last season but I'm excited to see where they go next. I would probably go with 1 > 4 > 2 > 3 now. I'm going to have to rewatch it before next year as I had completely forgotten about some of the characters that are referenced/appear during it.

I don't see them doing anymore than five seasons at this point as I don't know how long they can stretch out Frank's downfall. Although I thought season 3 was going to be the last one so maybe I'll be wrong again. It feels like they were building the pieces to use next year. Tom talked about how he didn't think Frank was a murderer so maybe he'll try to find evidence about it to further add to his story.

trinest

Why do I feel like the Doug cycle will continue. Like he will tell them how they are/where played then it will blow up and then he will get drunk then France will save the day.

t-storm

I only finished episode 4 but do we ever learn later in the season why Doug is the way he is and why he is so loyal to Frank? There must be something to this and I don't recall it ever being explained before.

Pineapple

Final episode question -

What was with the last meeting between Frank and Doug in the final minutes of the last episode? Doug mentions that he wants to be "100%", but it's going to be a lot harder, and if Frank wants him there by his side, he will be. Frank then tells him to do what he has to do, and be back when it's over.

Krogan

Final episode question -

What was with the last meeting between Frank and Doug in the final minutes of the last episode? Doug mentions that he wants to be "100%", but it's going to be a lot harder, and if Frank wants him there by his side, he will be. Frank then tells him to do what he has to do, and be back when it's over.

Doug was letting Frank know he was going to do something illegal and wanted to know if Frank was going to need him later on.

Dominator

I loved the ending, but I wanted
Claire to break the fourth at the end of last season. When she's walking out on Frank in the last shot, I thought it would have been awesome for her to make contact with the camera.

Either way, glad it happened and that scene was amazing.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The OSTs for this show are fantastic, Jeff Beal does great work every season. Looking forward to when the one for season 4 drops on Spotify.

Doug is my least favorite character. His personality is non existent. He just forms codependent relationships because hes damaged. Theres not a lot for me to get invested in.

SalvaPot

Well that was a fun season.

They telegraphed
Meechums death
and I still didn't want it to happen. Way to kill your most sympathetic character.

Pineapple

Doug was letting Frank know he was going to do something illegal and wanted to know if Frank was going to need him later on.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, but wasn't sure. Doug is the garbage man, but I second guessed his intentions due to the magnitude of the situation. This was Hammerschmidt and an entire team at the Herald that now had knowledge of this, and the information had already been published anyway. What could Doug possibly do at this point?

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Great season, Joel Kinnaman (Conway) is terrible though, he can't hold a scene, especially with Mr. President.

Love Robin Wright's character, Claire, this season, it was a great watch comparatively to S3.

I can't make up my mind about Doug. Or rather I have trouble discerning if I dislike him in the way it's intended or I just can't take his scenes, period. I got tired of most of his fighting with Seth and he's just generally a creep and I kinda wish he had bitten the dust in S2 or 3.

But anyway, just finished the season and generally enjoyed it. Felt like it had a tighter, more focused feel and did a good job repairing a lot of the damage from S3, which took me a month to get through versus three days here. With that said, I agree with some critical posts here that watching some of the conflicts unfold can be a bit aggravating because you're just one threatening tone away from getting what you want done. And yeah, even though I enjoyed the viewing, I start to wonder if anything is going to bite Francis in the ass down the road.

Also (spoiler for Dunbar):
I feel like for as a strong, competent appearing challenger to Frank as she was, she sure disappeared fast and in a way that just didn't seem... her. But then again part of me didn't know what they had planned for S4 at that time so I thought a big part of this season would have been the two of them fighting for that nomination.

A few more things

Frank's big scene with Durant is my favorite of the entire series. It was the BIG moment that reminded me of my favorite Breaking Bad scene where Walt lost it in Crawl Space. His breakdown in laughter freaking terrified me in an AWESOME way. Excellent excellent excellent scene.

The whole Freddy thing was p dumb. Frank was so cool to Freddy and yeah he kinda flubbed the "cook for me" deal, but I saw it at an earnest attempt at making a farewell.

Really felt uncomfortable in episode 10:
what Claire does -- and where -- the night of her mother's death

Almost as bad as the murders from the earlier seasons.
Wait... are you talking about
Claire killing her mother
?

I wasn't sad or uncomfortable at that at all. In fact, I was happy that her mother got what she wanted and
left on her own terms.

Well that was a fun season.

They telegraphed
Meechums death
and I still didn't want it to happen. Way to kill your most sympathetic character.
I don't like Meechum because he's so weakwilled and spineless. I couldn't relate to him at all. At least Doug had the enthusiasm and intensity that made him fun to follow.

But then again, the character I relate most to is Frank soooooo yeah.
Without the psycho
killings
, of course

kirblar

I can't make up my mind about Doug. Or rather I have trouble discerning if I dislike him in the way it's intended or I just can't take his scenes, period. I got tired of most of his fighting with Seth and he's just generally a creep and I kinda wish he had bitten the dust in S2 or 3.

But anyway, just finished the season and generally enjoyed it. Felt like it had a tighter, more focused feel and did a good job repairing a lot of the damage from S3, which took me a month to get through versus three days here. With that said, I agree with some critical posts here that watching some of the conflicts unfold can be a bit aggravating because you're just one threatening tone away from getting what you want done. And yeah, even though I enjoyed the viewing, I start to wonder if anything is going to bite Francis in the ass down the road.

Also (spoiler for Dunbar):
I feel like for as a strong, competent appearing challenger to Frank as she was, she sure disappeared fast and in a way that just didn't seem... her. But then again part of me didn't know what they had planned for S4 at that time so I thought a big part of this season would have been the two of them fighting for that nomination.
I suspect S4 got heavily retooled.

Dominator

Wait... are you talking about
Claire killing her mother
?

I wasn't sad or uncomfortable at that at all. In fact, I was happy that her mother got what she wanted and
left on her own terms.
Probably talking about the fact that
her mother just died, and she went to have sex with Tom in the same house her mothers dead body was laying
. Kind of uncomfortable.

SalvaPot

Freddy's reactions is believable to me.

Since the first time he put a foot in the white house, Frank main idea was to have him do ribs for him. Always. The man clearly doesn't want to do ribs anymore, and when he says goodbye the first thing Frank says is "Cool story brah, but what about some ribs?"

I mean Freddy exaggerated, sure, but this is the equivalent of always fixing your families computers, and the day you mention you are going to go start an auto-wash service in another town you heard from them "That's nice, dear, but what about checking my mac? I can't open my e-emails"

Roussow

Let's just say full season spoilers -- I don't remember what episodes I'm referring to here:

How did everyone feel about Meechum's end? The tracing on the wall really foreshadowed that he was about to disappear, although for a while there I thought it could've been at Frank's own hand, even despite their history -- it's not the first time Frank has eliminated a past sexual partner, after all. Kind of glad this didn't happen though, it would make Frank look super susceptible to manipulation, and manipulation from Seth of all people, would really undermine the character. Although then Meechum just kind of gets taken out at the shooting, it felt a little convenient for me.

Frank's big scene with Durant is my favorite of the entire series. It was the BIG moment that reminded me of my favorite Breaking Bad scene where Walt lost it in Crawl Space. His breakdown in laughter freaking terrified me in an AWESOME way. Excellent excellent excellent scene.

He totally gave a little Joker cackle near the end there, it almost bordered on delightfully campy.
Katherine totally believed all of that, right? She was absolutely just put in her place, I guess this is an early example of Frank's "ruling with terror" ideology -- He just scared the absolute shit out of Katherine there.

Probably talking about the fact that
her mother just died, and she went to have sex with Tom in the same house her mothers dead body was laying
. Kind of uncomfortable.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. A little odd, but nothing too crazy imo

Let's just say full season spoilers -- I don't remember what episodes I'm referring to here:

How did everyone feel about Meechum's end? The tracing on the wall really foreshadowed that he was about to disappear, although for a while there I thought it could've been at Frank's own hand, even despite their history -- it's not the first time Frank has eliminated a past sexual partner, after all. Kind of glad this didn't happen though, it would make Frank look super susceptible to manipulation, and manipulation from Seth of all people, would really undermine the character. Although then Meechum just kind of gets taken out at the shooting, it felt a little convenient for me.

He totally gave a little Joker cackle near the end there, it almost bordered on delightfully campy.
Katherine totally believed all of that, right? She was absolutely just put in her place, I guess this is an early example of Frank's "ruling with terror" ideology -- He just scared the absolute shit out of Katherine there.
On Point 1:
I never liked Meechum, but him dying as a catalyst for the plot to go do awesome things was super welcome. Really enjoyed what they did with the Frank i shot arc and him dying was the best thing to happen to his character.

On Point 2:
You're god damn right it was delightful. I didn't interpret it as campy, I take everything in the show super seriously except forDonald Blythe (lol).

And yeah he freaking scared the hell out of her and it was an incredible jaw dropping scene. Best scene of the series and that was the moment I knew Season 4 was my favorite season.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Just finished the season. It really fixes the "problems" people had with the last season.

When
the Underwoods were talking about using fear
... they would've made Palaptine unnerved.

Really interested to see how the next season unfolds. I guess
the now-buried Herald article is always going to be dogging them. Is the next season the final one? How with the house of cards fall? I feel like if this was the final season and the article basically undid everything, I'd be fine with it.

Roussow

On Point 2:
You're god damn right it was delightful. I didn't interpret it as campy, I take everything in the show super seriously except for Donald Blythe (lol).

Man, seeing Donald's short run as President was hysterical, how incompetent he seemed in that first meeting, telling everyone he needed a break. Then seeing Claire manipulate the fuck out of him to the point where his position just fulled his seemingly prior non-existent ego. The way he was talking to Doug really surprised me.

Speaking of Doug,
I think I need to watch those last few episodes again, I'm not sure what was going on with him and the lady whose fund he donated to, I was a little zoned out watching some of those last episodes -- so it might have flown right over my head, but did he actually have an angle there? Or was it Doug's bizarre way of trying to connect with someone, genuinely -- similar to his l relationship with Rachel. It was really great to see him lose his just lose his shit in that bathroom stall though, not surprising considering his dire position last season (by the way, his arc was the best part of last season), but seeing Seth get under his skin like that, yeesh, I worry for Seth's life.

Considering how this current election is going a lot of the "scandals" in the show felt out of step with reality. I found myself saying "you know... I don't think anyone would care about that..." a bunch of times.

Finished the season over the weekend and it was definitely my favorite. So many I turned to my girlfriend and yelled OMG.

Speaking of Doug,
I think I need to watch those last few episodes again, I'm not sure what was going on with him and the lady whose fund he donated to, I was a little zoned out watching some of those last episodes -- so it might have flown right over my head, but did he actually have an angle there? Or was it Doug's bizarre way of trying to connect with someone, genuinely -- similar to his l relationship with Rachel. It was really great to see him lose his just lose his shit in that bathroom stall though, not surprising considering his dire position last season (by the way, his arc was the best part of last season), but seeing Seth get under his skin like that, yeesh, I worry for Seth's life.
The widow's husband was the man who Doug prevented from receiving a liver transplant. He became fixated on her after the health secretary sent him a photo of the man's family. Given that the man was seemingly the primary earner for the household and had accrued medical debt, there was a memorial page with a donation option.

Given that she's understanding of Doug's work; schedule; his walled-off personality; and has two nearly-grown children, she's the ideal woman for Doug. I wouldn't be surprised if they get married next season and Doug has the family he always wanted.

Shahadan

Since the first time he put a foot in the white house, Frank main idea was to have him do ribs for him. Always. The man clearly doesn't want to do ribs anymore, and when he says goodbye the first thing Frank says is "Cool story brah, but what about some ribs?"

I mean Freddy exaggerated, sure, but this is the equivalent of always fixing your families computers, and the day you mention you are going to go start an auto-wash service in another town you heard from them "That's nice, dear, but what about checking my mac? I can't open my e-emails"

Yeah, agree. I was actually hoping he would
tell him to fuck off because imo that was deserved. Also people disregard the fact that they mention frank hasn't spoken to him in a long time, and when he does he's like "oh yeah forgot you were there, how about some ribs?"

Also Doug can fuck off, should have died back in season 2. Although I enjoyed seeing him torn between his loyalties in season 3.

pel1300

eh...I don't think that is an accurate analogy.
Fixing someone's computer doesn't scream "Let's have a good time for old time's sake" the way preparing a homecooked meal does.

Remember Freddy loved to hear Frank compliment him on how good the ribs were.

Freddy: "How them ribs?"
Frank: You already know. *grins*
Freddy: You know I like to hear it.
Frank: Perfection...perfection Freddy!
*both laugh out loud*

Freddy is misplacing blame on Frank. Frank is not directly at fault for what happened. Freddy should be mad at REMY OF ALL PEOPLE! Remy is the one who royally screwed him over with Tusk.

"he clearly said 'it would be like old times!" Freddy is street smart...he should have been able to recognize the sentiment behind it even if it isn't what most of us would consider a good send off.

Plus Frank was clearly saddened and said "Is there anything you want? A raise?" then he said "I guess it's just...there aren't many people I feel comfortable with here.
It's very clear that Frank genuinely liked Freddy not only because of the ribs. He hasn't had Freddy cook him ribs once in 2 years. He thought it was something they would both enjoy and feel nostalgic about.

Salsa

loved it

someone on GAF spoiled the ending image for me tho

and it kinda spoils a lot, for different reasons

pissed me off, but oh well

loved it

pel1300

Yeah, agree. I was actually hoping he would
tell him to fuck off because imo that was deserved. Also people disregard the fact that they mention frank hasn't spoken to him in a long time, and when he does he's like "oh yeah forgot you were there, how about some ribs?"

Also Doug can fuck off, should have died back in season 2. Although I enjoyed seeing him torn between his loyalties in season 3.

I don't know..

It's clearly implied that they haven't spoken in awhile because Freddy has been avoiding him. Notice the way Freddy wants to quickly end the conversation and Frank goes "oh, well...another time then" Also notice how happy Frank is to see him?

Shahadan

I don't know..

It's clearly implied that they haven't spoken in awhile because Freddy has been avoiding him. Notice the way Freddy wants to quickly end the conversation and Frank goes "oh, well...another time then" Also notice how happy Frank is to see him?

not saying frank doesn't love him, he probably does, just saying freddy had time to reflect and evolve his situation so he would not be a helper anymore, and Frank just reminded him he would always be the help to him.
Frank obviously didn't mean it that way, it just came across wrong to freddy's ears and he snapped because he was happy to move on and have his store, be free from what he owed to frank, and have his life back.

The later part about freddy saying he hates him is probably too much though, it comes a bit out of nowhere

Top Bottom