• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'HOUSE OF THE DRAGON' will end with Season 4

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Pass. Fuck this show.

It's clear they couldve told this story in 2 seasons max but they want those subscriptions. Lets hope everyone cancels after last night's finale to send a message to those cucks running HBO.

YCoCg

Pass. Fuck this show.

It's clear they couldve told this story in 2 seasons max but they want those subscriptions. Lets hope everyone cancels after last night's finale to send a message to those cucks running HBO.
Uh oh, not watched the new season yet, is it a significant drop from season 1 quality wise?

ReBurn

Gold Member
Pass. Fuck this show.

If they want to keep subscriptions they need to stop removing shows and running them on freemium platforms. Pay for Max? Sorry, can't rewatch Westworld there. Have to go watch it on Tubi with ads.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Was the finale that bad? I put the series on hold after episode 5, which almost makes me fall asleep.

Madflavor

Gold Member
Was the finale that bad? I put the series on hold after episode 5, which almost makes me fall asleep.

It wasn't that the finale was bad, it was just that this season didn't deliver on the way Season 1 ended. Season 1 was basically giving us the backstory on these characters and how the civil war got started, ending with the event that really kicked things off. Then Season 2 came and aside from 1 dragon fight in the middle of the season, we didn't get a single battle. With the slow pacing of Season 2, the two year wait, and 8 episodes instead of 10, they desperately needed to deliver on a banger of a finale, and give us payoff for all the setting up of the chess pieces they did. But they didn't. It was just more set up. People are rightfully upset over this.

The problem with House of the Dragon is not just it's pacing. It's the characters. Game of Thrones had exceptional levels of writing, dialogue and remarkable characters. So even when Game of Thrones was slow (which was what 95% of the first few seasons were), it was never boring because of it's sharp dialogue, and how entertaining the characters were. House of the Dragon doesn't have that. The characters don't have a quarter of the charisma or complexity of GoT's. They are serviceable at best, and they are in service to the overall plot. The overall plot is Targaryen Civil War. So if you don't deliver on the War, then what are we left with?

Uh oh, not watched the new season yet, is it a significant drop from season 1 quality wise?
If you expect the usual HBO-style GoT pacing, you'll be fine.

If you're a book reader expecting epic dragon fights every episode, you're not going to enjoy it.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Gold Member
If you expect the usual HBO-style GoT pacing, you'll be fine.

I don't think that's the issue. As I said in my previous post, people probably wouldn't have cared if Season 2 was slow, if the characters and dialogue were GoT levels of good. Every sentence that came out of Robert Baratheon's mouth was gold. Same with Tyrion, Tywin, Joffrey, The Hound, etc. Then you had very minor characters like Crastor and Syrio, who even though had minor roles, were significantly more entertaining to watch than any of the characters in HotD.

Additionally, every PoV character in Game of Thrones had an arc and something to do each season. Take Arya in Season 2 for example. She starts off traveling with refugees, then gets captured, she's taken to Harrenhal where she watched people get tortured, then becomes Tywin's cupbearer, they have a few interesting scenes between them, she meets Jaqen H'ghar and all that ensues with their interactions. A lot happens with Arya in Season 2, and the same goes for the rest of the cast in those first few seasons. No time is wasted. The same can't be said for HotD. Daemon probably be the more egregious example.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Good, absolutely no need for more than that. S2 has been fine but it's very much padded out and obviously so.

I don't think that's the issue. As I said in my previous post, people probably wouldn't have cared if Season 2 was slow, if the characters and dialogue were GoT levels of good. Every sentence that came out of Robert Baratheon's mouth was gold. Same with Tyrion, Tywin, Joffrey, The Hound, etc. Then you had very minor characters like Crastor and Syrio, who even though had minor roles, were significantly more entertaining to watch than any of the characters in HotD.

Additionally, every PoV character in Game of Thrones had an arc and something to do each season. Take Arya in Season 2 for example. She starts off traveling with refugees, then gets captured, she's taken to Harrenhal where she watched people get tortured, then becomes Tywin's cupbearer, they have a few interesting scenes between them, she meets Jaqen H'ghar and all that ensues with their interactions. A lot happens with Arya in Season 2, and the same goes for the rest of the cast in those first few seasons. No time is wasted. The same can't be said for HotD. Daemon probably be the more egregious example.
You’re talking more about the character writing. I’m talking about the pacing. The pacing matched typical GoT even though the writing wasn’t good enough to help.

That’s where I’m saying they’ll be fine if they expect the typical slower pacing with bits of action/eventfulness sprinkled in.

Last edited:

K' Dash

That’s 2 seasons too much. I would bet my right nut they would have stretched this shit 8 seasons if people weren’t insulting this seasons 8 episodes of fucking nothing.

bitbydeath

Daemon probably be the more egregious example.
Some great memes though.
images

images

GRcfQREXQAAOCEH.jpg

Madflavor

Gold Member
It went from "wow, this is almost on the same level as the better GoT seasons" in season one, all the way down to "I don't think I'll be back" after the end of season two.

This is how I feel. Season 1's biggest weakness is that it's characters weren't as good as GoT. King Viserys and Daemon were the only ones that came close. But I was okay with that because I figured once they got the first season out, they could hopefully figure these characters out better. Instead the opposite happened. The only two interesting characters in Season 2 were Otto Hightower and Aegon, especially Aegon. He was the most human and complex character on the show, and quite frankly was holding the season together. Then he was taken out of commission.

Like what the fuck happened this season. People keep bringing up Daemon in Harrenhal, but the same could be said of other characters. Every episode had Corlys visiting his bastard son in the same spot on the docks. Rhaenerya spent 90% of the season in the same locations, whining about not being taken seriously and talking with that boring piece of shit lady who's name I don't even remember. You've got Alicent looking like she's about to pop suicide pills in every scene.

It's amazing how I haven't watched GoT in so many years, yet I can recount SO much of what happened to every POV character in each and every season. I'm fresh off of watching HotD Season 2 and everything is a blur.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

The writing in the first episodes reminded me of those South American telenovelas coupled with some really tacky use of CG action. It's borderline satire on ASOIAF. It's shocking to me how people are fine with low quality TV like this.

nashman

Yeah this season was bad. Writing has gone to shit. Every interesting or badass character from the first season is either gone or cucked.

Viserys = gone.
Otto = gone.
Daemon = cucked ,does nothing but have nightmares in a castle.
Cole = cucked walks around the forest with Alicents brother

Even Alicent and Rhaenyra do nothing except they have each take turns magically teleporting to the other ones house to talk. Only interesting characters at all were Aemond and Ageon.

Ill watch Season 3 but hopes are low as hell.

Feel bad for people who are heavily invested in this show. I just watch cause nothing else is on, but to have to wait 2 years for the next season after this underwhelming one?!…😵‍💫

Kind of started laughing at girl running through countryside scene after scene. Pictured Forrest Gump passing her by with “Running on Empty” playing in the background.

giphy.gif

I hate prequels. I think theyre just creatively lazy and only meant to milk on the fan favorite franchise instead of continuing the story. I didnt like Better Call Saul either and I doubt Ill ever watch this.

Thaedolus

I hate prequels. I think theyre just creatively lazy and only meant to milk on the fan favorite franchise instead of continuing the story. I didnt like Better Call Saul either and I doubt Ill ever watch this.
BCS was arguably better than Breaking Bad and had events that came after it. HotD is so far in the past it seemingly can’t overtake any events of Game of Thrones and the prophecies about the song of ice and fire seem pointless when we know how that turned out.

Yoda

Season 2 < Season 1. Shows feels like it's padding quite a bit already, I don't think they have enough content for 2 seasons tbh.

Top Bottom