• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How BlackBerry Blew It - BBM pitched as carrier-level messaging service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talon

New revelations from the Globe and Mail regarding everyone's favorite canadian tech company.

Most interestingly, Jim Basille left the company after pushing for BlackBerry to offer a consumer-based (!!!) services around BBM. He had convinced at least one US carrier (supposedly AT&T) and at least two or three European carriers to offer BBM as a carrier-level messaging service with the name "SMS 2.0." BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins kiboshed the project as Basilie abruptly resigned from the board and sold all his shares in BlackBerry (then RIM).

The SMS 2.0 plan was a throwback to RIM’s move a decade earlier to form partnerships with mobile providers and share revenues. It was a chance to make BBM the dominant chat messaging service, and would have created a new story for the BlackBerry brand.

A few carriers responded positively to Mr. Balsillie’s initial entreaties and by mid-2011, he was calling SMS 2.0 the company’s top strategic priority.

To round out the strategy, and build a suite of cross-platform services, RIM made a few acquisitions, such as instant messaging firm LiveProfile. The service had about 15 million users and worked on Apple and Android devices, giving BBM the entrée it needed to those platforms.

But the plan deeply divided the company. BBM was still an important driver of BlackBerry sales. Making it widely available to competitors represented an added threat to RIM’s faltering handset business, led by Mr. Heins at the time. Many inside the company felt a cross-platform BBM made sense, but only when BlackBerry 10 was out. Mr. Balsillie and proponents of his plan felt that would be too late.

“It’s fair to say [the risk to handset sales] was a shared concern of everybody I spoke to,” said former RIM executive Mr. Spence. “But it was hard to deny the fact [carriers’ text messaging] revenue was declining. These carriers were looking for a solution and this was a potential solution.”

One former executive felt Mr. Balsillie was overestimating the revenue potential of his software-driven strategy. As Mr. Balsillie talked up SMS 2.0, Mr. Heins and his team increasingly cast doubt on it internally. “He was absolutely canvassing behind the scenes working to kill it,” said one company insider.

As for Mr. Lazaridis, he was supportive of launching BBM for rival operating systems, but was concerned about the costs and risks involved in building out the SMS 2.0 strategy, said a source close to the board. “We weren’t in a position to be investing in free services that required massive capital expenditure [and could provide] zero payback for maybe a few years if we’re successful,” the source said. Like others, Mr. Lazaridis worried about handset sales.

But Mr. Balsillie was increasingly convinced that SMS 2.0 was the way to go. After pitching the plan to CEOs of 12 of the largest wireless carriers in the world in late 2011, he believed he could sign up at least one major U.S. carrier – insiders say AT&T was interested – as well as Telefonica and one or two other European carriers. That’s all it would take, he felt, to convince others to adopt BBM en masse.

But other RIM executives who were part of the growing SMS 2.0 team also encountered resistance.

Mr. Balsillie was pushing to formally launch SMS 2.0 at an industry conference at the end of February, 2013. But with the company under mounting pressure to overhaul its top leadership, he and Mr. Lazaridis handed the reins to Mr. Heins in late January.

A few weeks later, Mr. Heins killed the SMS 2.0 strategy, backed by Mr. Lazaridis.

“We had to get the BlackBerry 10 out, and we couldn’t be distracted,” said a source close to the board. “Everything else was shelved. And if that meant getting rid of strategies that didn’t fit, or weren’t complete, or required resources, I think [Mr. Heins] did the right thing.”

Also, Verizon gave the Storm the Droid treatment...before everyone realized it was terrible.

RIM soon earned a chance to show up its new rival. RIM’s early smartphones had been a hit for Verizon Wireless, one of the biggest U.S. wireless players. Frozen out of the iPhone – Apple had signed an exclusive deal with AT&T – Verizon executives approached RIM in June, 2007, and asked if it could develop “an iPhone killer.” The product would need to have a touchscreen with no physical keyboard. Verizon would back the U.S. launch with a massive marketing campaign.

RIM executives jumped at the chance. At one management meeting, Mr. Balsillie called it RIM’s most important strategic opportunity since the launch of its two-way e-mail pager.

The product was the BlackBerry Storm. It was the most complex and ambitious project the company had ever done, but “the technology was cobbled together quickly and wasn’t quite ready,” said one former senior company insider who was involved in the project.

The product was months late, hitting the market just before U.S. Thanksgiving in 2008. Many customers hated it. The touchscreen, RIM’s first, was awkward to manipulate. The product ran on a single processor and was slow and buggy. Mr. Balsillie put on a brave face, declaring the launch to be “an overwhelming success,” but sales lagged the iPhone and customer returns were high.

But the Storm had failed to give Verizon Wireless the Apple-killer it coveted, and RIM soon abandoned the product. So the carrier turned to Google Inc. and its new operating system, Android, and built a massive marketing campaign around Motorola’s Droid phone in 2009 – at the expense of marketing dollars to support BlackBerry products. Verizon’s “iDon’t” campaign highlighted all the shortcomings of the iPhone that Android addressed with its consumer-friendly user interface.

And of course, BB10's bungling.
RIM’s 4G phone effort was the BlackBerry 10, but it was far from ready. RIM executives tried to make an engineering argument to carriers that 4G technology was no more efficient than 3G, and that its Bold phones were just fine. Mr. Lazaridis, Mr. Heins and chief technology officer David Yach “were trying to reshape the argument because they knew our products couldn’t go there,” a former executive said. “It was a fight to stay in [promotional] programs with carriers. We lost channel support and feature ads.”

Much more at the link.

Fox Mulder

RIM needed to leave the phones behind. Using an iPhone for 10 seconds vs. using a BlackBerry made that very clear.

some people want what a blackberry offers, nothing wrong with that. The company could have still made phones while also extending their services to other devices as well. It was stupid to buckle their seatbelts on a sinking ship.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Yea, the Storm was a total disaster.

It's amazing how much they botched that phone.

The Storm could have been an iPhone killer, but, as with anything to do with RIM/Blackberry, their shortsightedness fucked things up. I still can't figure out who at RIM thought it was a good idea to make an iPhone competitor without Wifi...

Just one of the many dumbass decisions made by RIM at the time.

And that click screen thing was extremely tedious and unnecessary.

The phone was a looker, but I couldn't wait to get rid of it.

The Storm could have been an iPhone killer, but, as with anything to do with RIM/Blackberry, their shortsightedness fucked things up. I still can't figure out who at RIM thought it was a good idea to make an iPhone competitor without Wifi...

A phone running BB 5/6/7 OS had as much chance to "kill" iPhone as Nokia's Symbian phones, no matter the hardware. The OS was ancient at that point.

The funny thing about BBM too is how because RIM took forever to port it, a thousand other apps came to fill the void. It had been rumored since pretty much all the dates in that article but never came to fruition. Now you get the same functionality baked into ios and plenty of other mainstream apps deliver the same type of service.

Now BlackBerry is releasing it an is hoping it arrives with thunderous applause but I really don't think people will care that much.

cube444

That feeling of knowing the game has changed and you don't even know the rules:

Mike Lazaridis was at home on his treadmill and watching television when he first saw the Apple iPhone in early 2007. There were a few things he didn’t understand about the product. So, that summer, he pried one open to look inside and was shocked. It was like Apple had stuffed a Mac computer into a cellphone, he thought.

To Mr. Lazaridis, a life-long tinkerer who had built an oscilloscope and computer while in high school, the iPhone was a device that broke all the rules. The operating system alone took up 700 megabytes of memory, and the device used two processors. The entire BlackBerry ran on one processor and used 32 MB. Unlike the BlackBerry, the iPhone had a fully Internet-capable browser. That meant it would strain the networks of wireless companies like AT&T Inc., something those carriers hadn’t previously allowed. RIM by contrast used a rudimentary browser that limited data usage.

Bleepey

I made a thread when i bought that phone of a mate.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=507999

Worst piece of shit i ever used, awful.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
A phone running BB 5/6/7 OS had as much chance to "kill" iPhone as Nokia's Symbian phones, no matter the hardware. The OS was ancient at that point.

The OS wasn't that horrible, and at that point in time BBM was pretty big(with no Whatsapp or iMessage in the picture), a touchscreen phone with which you could use BBM on WiFi would have been a huge selling point.

The App Store and Android Market had just launched a few months before the Storm launched, so RIM's App World wasn't too far behind.

Just a series of moronic design and executive decisions led to the Storm being a total piece of shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom