• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Did A Small Midwest Town End Up With America's Worst HIV Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

In Austin, Indiana, widespread drug use led to the single largest outbreak of HIV in the USA. Jessica Wapner asks if a new approach to public health can rescue the town.

Darren was 13 when he started taking pills, which he claims were given to him by an adult relative. “He used to feed them to me,” Darren said. On fishing trips, they’d get high together. Jessica and Darren have never known a life of family dinners, board games and summer vacations. “This right here is normal to us,” Darren told me. He sat in a burgundy recliner, scratching at his arms and pulling the leg rest up and down. Their house was in better shape than many others I’d seen, but nothing in it was theirs. Their bedrooms were bare. The kind of multigenerational drug use he was describing was not uncommon in their town, Austin, in southern Indiana. It’s a tiny place, covering just two and a half square miles of the sliver of land that comprises Scott County. An incredible proportion of its 4,100 population — up to an estimated 500 people — are shooting up. It was here, starting in December 2014, that the single largest HIV outbreak in US history took place. Austin went from having no more than three cases per year to 180 in 2015, a prevalence rate close to that seen in sub-Saharan Africa.

Painkillers addiction have become a silent epidemic.

http://digg.com/2016/austin-indiana-hiv?utm_medium=email&utm_source=digg

Dang, in this town more than 1 in 10 people are on hard drugs? I'm in a town of roughly 4,000 myself, and I can't even imagine if 1 in 10 were addicts.

Edit: Also, digg is still around?

Rembrandt

Banned
we also used to have the meth capital up north. actually i think we still do.

we have dumb laws. it took us way to long to allow needle exchanges.

Oh wow I wouldn't have expected that. I remember growing up in DC and I saw a lot of HIV [fear] infographics on bus and I always thought that my city had it the worst. Now if there are any visuals/ads/infographics it's about how to live with it and manage it.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Anthony Bourdain's show on CNN does a whole episode about how the pain killer/heroin/opiate addiction crisis is destroying communities both those that were once healthy and those that were already down on their luck. Combined with a lot of other things like jobs moving to more centralized areas of commerce like cities and such is only amplifying the issue. Really sad stuff.

CHC

How Did A Small Midwest Town End Up With America's Worst HIV Problem?

An incredible proportion of its 4,100 population — up to an estimated 500 people — are shooting up.

Hmmmmm I wonder?

Still though, if the issue is this bad it falls on the government to at least promote / provide sanitary needles as a stop gap measure, while hopefully trying to quash the drug problem in the long run.

iamblades

The NPR podcast Embedded has an episode about this. It's pretty interesting.

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-...-house-at-the-heart-of-indianas-opioid-crisis

Another part that's interesting is that the manufacturers of the drug changed the formulation to prevent people from snorting it. As a result, people started shooting it up instead.

All our thought process about drugs of abuse is completely counterproductive.

Criminalize addiction instead of treating it medically so that it becomes difficult for an addict to seek help.

Put acetaminophen in the pills so addicts can't take a recreational dose, but they just end up frying their livers instead.

Make pills that can't be crushed and snorted so addicts inject instead leading to epidemics of diseases.

Make it so hard to get pharmaceuticals that addicts turn to street heroin that has been spiked with sufentanil so overdoses go through the roof.

It's just completely insane policy.

entremet

Anthony Bourdain's show on CNN does a whole episode about how the pain killer/heroin/opiate addiction crisis is destroying communities both those that were once healthy and those that were already down on their luck. Combined with a lot of other things like jobs moving to more centralized areas of commerce like cities and such is only amplifying the issue. Really sad stuff.
These communities are in trouble. Manufacturing dying has killed the tax base.

Young folks should try to get out ASAP.

studyguy

Knew this was about Opanna shooters before I ever hit he thread. Shit's wild, it's basically just opiod addiction gone worse by Opanna producers changing the drug so that it can no longer be crushed and snorted.

Instead people now have to cook it to make the high viable and thus shoot it. NPR did a story on it and shit's incredibly sad. You've got everyone in those stories from your blue collar workers to actual fucking nurses who say they know exactly how shameful what they're doing is hooked and shooting. Most of them because they were in pain initially and just got the boot from their programs while still hooked to opiods, even if they were responsible. Turning to the streets to stop the pain just ended up leading to addiction for some of them. Needle sharing and the like.

Depressing stories all around.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I knew this was going to be about southern IN before I opened the thread. My younger sister has had issues with drugs for 20 yrs and lived in this region for a while. She contracted hepatitis C. She should feel incredibly lucky to not have gotten HIV (although it's entirely possible she does have it and just hasn't told any of us).

No, it took Governor Pence way too long to finally loosen up on his hard-nosed stance against them. The HIV outbreak started two years ago and Pence would not budge.

This is the second time today I'm quoting one of your posts to say this, but fuck Mike Pence.

All our thought process about drugs of abuse is completely counterproductive.

Criminalize addiction instead of treating it medically so that it becomes difficult for an addict to seek help.

Put acetaminophen in the pills so addicts can't take a recreational dose, but they just end up frying their livers instead.

Make pills that can't be crushed and snorted so addicts inject instead leading to epidemics of diseases.

Make it so hard to get pharmaceuticals that addicts turn to street heroin that has been spiked with sufentanil so overdoses go through the roof.

It's just completely insane policy.
I agree. This Ted talk educated me a lot: Everything You Think You Know About Addiction Is Wrong.
It's only 14 min. and well worth a listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom