• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do British gaming mags maintain their high level of quality?

That was when they had the retro and guides section on the yellow pages section (along with things like for sale and high scores, remember those?), right?

I kind of ditched CVG shortly after those vanished.

Yup. I remember Paul Davies once noted they did those in yellow to make it appear cheap, but the paper actually cost more then the normal pages! Them disappearing coincided with emaps "new direction" for the magazine, at which time davies, lomas, guise et all left the magazine, it became a pile of crap, and subsequently the longest running video games magazine in the uk closed down. :/

GameCentral is on the Metro website complete with the same inbox format and hot topics (twice a day except at weekends where the hot topic is) and reader features.

Not to mention reviews as level-headed and truthful as Mr Biffo used to do at digitiser

David Jenkins & Roger Hargreaves are great.

Daytonabot

Banned
It's not a particularly interesting answer: printing and distribution is very costly. And the Internet has killed magazines in the United States.
I'd buy that if our gaming sites weren't just as poorly informed and written. For example, comparing USGamer to Eurogamer is embarrassing. Jeremy Parish didn't know Defender 2000 existed (probably since it wasn't on a Nintendo console) when he reviewed Resogun, and Mike Williams didn't know Yoshi's Island DS existed when he wrote a second opinion on Yoshi's New Island.

mclem

That was when they had the retro and guides section on the yellow pages section (along with things like for sale and high scores, remember those?), right?

I've just randomly remembered ACE's 'pink pages' section. And I can't for the life of me remember *why* that existed.

Top Bottom