• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do I get 120hz on my pc?

Trogdor1123

I recent got a 65 inch tcl q7 (4K/120hz tv) to replace my old 1080p lg lcd. First new tv in a long time for me.

My pc is a 5800x3d, radeon 6800, with 32 gigs of ddr 3200

The tv is supposed to do up to 144hz on one hdmi port and 120 on another.

I intend to run my computer and ps5 on it.

I bought a 4K/120hz hdmi cable and plugged in my computer (my old cables were 1.4 rated) and booted up windows. For some reason though, I can’t get 4k/120hz no matter what I do. In windows it won’t even let me change away from 30 hz. I’m certain I am doing something wrong on the pc, I’m pretty new to pc gaming.

I have not yet tried the ps5.

In addition, I use an Xbox controller to control my games but since the switch, it seems to disconnect constantly.

Appreciate insight from pc wizards.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
You using NVidia?

Open the control panel and see if you can change it here in the drop down menu

1NRSCel.png

baphomet

You're plugged into the GPU right? Assuming the cable and TV both support 4K/120 you should be able to change it to that with right-click display settings.

Trogdor1123

You're plugged into the GPU right? Assuming the cable and TV both support 4K/120 you should be able to change it to that with right-click display settings.
Yep, I’m not entirely new lol.

Verified the cable is ultra high speed.

Tv is supposed to be up 144 hz/4k

oneran

On the TCL TV i believe you need to switch the picture mode to "Game Mode" to utilize the higher refresh rates

R6Rider

Gold Member
Have you made sure the input is set to Enhanced HDMI?

Also make sure the HDMI cable is in the correct port (if not all of them are 2.1).

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I recent got a 65 inch tcl q7 (4K/120hz tv) to replace my old 1080p lg lcd. First new tv in a long time for me.

I bought a 4K/120hz hdmi cable and plugged in my computer (my old cables were 1.4 rated) and booted up windows. For some reason though, I can’t get 4k/120hz no matter what I do. In windows it won’t even let me change away from 30 hz. I’m certain I am doing something wrong on the pc, I’m pretty new to pc gaming.

In addition, I use an Xbox controller to control my games but since the switch, it seems to disconnect constantly.

Go to Display Settings. Right click on desktop, Display Settings.

Then...look for Advanced Display

Ddhz4KR.png

Then look for Choose a refresh Rate....

CZUWHjZ.png

You don't see anything but 30 fps there?

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
No idea what that means. Where do you make that change?
In the Settings menu look for TV Inputs or something similar. I have a TCL, but it's older and doesn't have the same menu options I'm guessing.

From there you should be able to select the various ports and change their mode.

Last edited:
RTX 40 series cards support HDMI 2.1 but I don't know when AMD started supporting that

If your Radeon 6800 doesn't support HDMI 2.1 it will not be able to output 4K/120 hz

ap_puff

Neo Member
RTX 40 series cards support HDMI 2.1 but I don't know when AMD started supporting that

If your Radeon 6800 doesn't support HDMI 2.1 it will not be able to output 4K/120 hz
Nah rdna2 supports hdmi2.1 natively, that was one of its advantages over ampere. Although I'm really skeptical of if the 6800 is powerful enough to give you 4k120 in games, or even 4k60. It does sound like a TV setting problem though

Trogdor1123

Nah rdna2 supports hdmi2.1 natively, that was one of its advantages over ampere. Although I'm really skeptical of if the 6800 is powerful enough to give you 4k120 in games, or even 4k60. It does sound like a TV setting problem though
It’s nothing modern.

Hoddi

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the GPU driver?

Also, is it possible you mixed the cables? HDMI 1.4 only supports 4k at 30hz and it's weird that you're only getting 30hz even if 120hz is missing. If you go into Advanced display > Display adapter properties in Settings then you should find a button labeled List All Modes which should tell you if your TV is recognized as a 4k120 display.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the GPU driver?

Also, is it possible you mixed the cables? HDMI 1.4 only supports 4k at 30hz and it's weird that you're only getting 30hz even if 120hz is missing. If you go into Advanced display > Display adapter properties in Settings then you should find a button labeled List All Modes which should tell you if your TV is recognized as a 4k120 display.
I’m updating the drivers now.

I did refresh on the tv and it’s running 4K/60 right now.

It doesn’t show anything above 60hz though.

I am on windows 11 if that matters.

Also, it says it’s 8 bit colour. Shouldn’t hdr be 10 bit?

Last edited:
Make sure you have updated drivers. Sometimes that affects it. Try different ports also. The steps above people listed should work, if they don’t post back and we’ll keep trying.

I’m updating the drivers now.

I did refresh on the tv and it’s running 4K/60 right now.

It doesn’t show anything above 60hz though.

I am on windows 11 if that matters.

Yes to your last question, but sometimes you have to enable UHD deep color in the TV’s port settings.

Jmatt110

Should be a setting on the TV to enable enhanced HDMI input or similar. Make sure it's plugged into a HDMI port on the TV that supports 120Hz, a lot of TV's don't support it on every HDMI port

Jmatt110

From the manual (assuming I looked at the right one):

Game Master: Turn on this function to enable VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) to allow smooth
gaming and eliminate screen tearing. The refresh rate can dynamically change to up to 144Hz.

Trogdor1123

I was poked around in the settings and found one for “hdmi mode” and turned auto off and set it to 2.1.

That seemed to turn on hdr (the screen got darker) but now it dropped out of 4K/60 to 4K/30 and there are no other options in the settings. wtf?

Is it possible my cable is just bad? It is 48 gbs cable and is rated for 120hz at 4K.

I was poked around in the settings and found one for “hdmi mode” and turned auto off and set it to 2.1.

That seemed to turn on hdr (the screen got darker) but now it dropped out of 4K/60 to 4K/30 and there are no other options in the settings. wtf?

Is it possible my cable is just bad? It is 48 gbs cable and is rated for 120hz at 4K.

What do your windows setting show?

Topher

Gold Member

Try a different cable if you have one. Probably would not hurt to do a fresh install of your drivers.

Download Display Driver Uninstaller utility

And then reinstall the drivers

Last edited:

Hoddi

It might be worth downloading Monitor Asset Manager which can read the EDID from the TV and give you a more detailed view of how your system sees the TV. According to Rtings, the TCL Q7 only supports HDMI 2.1 on one of the ports so it's worth making sure you're using the correct one. See the 'Vertical scan range' in this image here:

NYB7y6g.png

Kuranghi

I'm pretty sure the cable you bought is just rubbish and not actually ultra high speed at this point, try a new cable, one with an ultra high speed HDMI Alliance hologram/QR code on it.

When the HDMI port is HW or cable bandwidth limited to 2.0b it will not allow 4K, 60hz, HDR, 10-bit AND 444 Chroma Subsampling at the same time and windows will prioritise the chroma 444 then output 8-bit colour + dithering, which achieves the same number of colours as 10-bit.

If the cable is fine then according to rtings review, your cause is SW/EDID limited and you just need to find the way to allow it, but I'd try the new cable first.

Trogdor1123

Well, now I’m totally lost. I turned off thevhdmi setting 2.1 and changed it back to auto and it went back up to 60hz… nothing higher though.

I’m totally lost now.

I’m thinking to grab another cable. Anyone have one they can recommend from Amazon?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
What does the TV show up as? I have a similar TV and it shows up as Beyond TV in windows.

digdug2

Silly question, are you plugged into one of the HDMI 4K/144Hz ports on the TV? I just bought a brand new 85" Hisense U8N and only two of the ports are capable of 144Hz.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

It might be worth downloading Monitor Asset Manager which can read the EDID from the TV and give you a more detailed view of how your system sees the TV. According to Rtings, the TCL Q7 only supports HDMI 2.1 on one of the ports so it's worth making sure you're using the correct one. See the 'Vertical scan range' in this image here:

NYB7y6g.png
Did that just now and it’s showing 30-80 on horizontal and 50-75 on vertical.

So, its detectingbitvwrong?

Trogdor1123

Silly question, are you plugged into one of the HDMI 4K/144Hz ports on the TV? I just bought a brand new 85" Hisense U8N and only two of the ports are capable of 144Hz.
Not silly at all, port 1 is literally labeled 144hz/4k

Always good to double check this stuff.

flying_sq

Try disabling VRR, did a bit of Google, the Internet doesn't know if 4k120 hdr will or will not work. Something about 6800 not supporting full HDMI 2.1 spec, others reporting it works fine. Seems TV dependent to an extent too.

Trogdor1123

Try disabling VRR, did a bit of Google, the Internet doesn't know if 4k120 hdr will or will not work. Something about 6800 not supporting full HDMI 2.1 spec, others reporting it works fine. Seems TV dependent to an extent too.
Just tried it now. No difference.

Trogdor1123

I’m thinking it’s just the cable. In Adrenalin it only shows 48-60 hz range. I ordered a new one that will be here tomorrow

I’m downloading ratchet and clank to try the 40 fps mode there. If that works then I’ll be even more lost!

Last edited:
At some point you will need to rule out hardware issues

(1) Test an HDMI 2.1 Certified cable. Yes, Certified matters for this amount of bandwidth, it's not like before
(2) Test a game console that can output 4K/120, a PS5 or Xbox Series can be used for this
(3) Test a computer monitor that supports high refresh
(4) Test an Nvidia card, the cheapest Nvidia card you can buy that support HDMI 2.1 is RTX 3060

Ampere actually supports HDMI 2.1, I was mistaken there. RTX 30 and 40 series both support it

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Well, I tried the 120hz mode on ratchet on ps5 and it looked great. That’s not at full 4K though I believe. No idea why my pc acting like this.

Trogdor1123

At some point you will need to rule out hardware issues

(1) Test an HDMI 2.1 Certified cable. Yes, Certified matters for this amount of bandwidth, it's not like before
(2) Test a game console that can output 4K/120, a PS5 or Xbox Series can be used for this
(3) Test a computer monitor that supports high refresh
(4) Test an Nvidia card, the cheapest Nvidia card you can buy that support HDMI 2.1 is RTX 3060

Ampere actually supports HDMI 2.1, I was mistaken there. RTX 30 and 40 series both support it
I have 2 monitors. A 240 hz Samsung s7 and a 165 hz asus. It would be with display port though.

DAHGAMING

First thing that come to my mind was try all the HDMI ports on your tv, I see someone els suggested that aswell. Sometimes only 1 of the ports will support all the features. Other than that and trying the other suggestions try another 2.1 cable.

Top Bottom