• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do I get 120hz on my pc?

I’m thinking it’s just the cable. In Adrenalin it only shows 48-60 hz range. I ordered a new one that will be here tomorrow

I’m downloading ratchet and clank to try the 40 fps mode there. If that works then I’ll be even more lost!
That's not how refreshrates work on pc, limiting it to 40fps doesn't mean the screen is at 120hz.
In any case all this really shouldn't be this hard if all the hardware checks out, it should be just as plug and play as on a console; it sound like some hardware isn't cooperating, or you missed a setting on the tv.

Trogdor1123

Should be easy to test then, use your HDMI cable and connect to the monitor instead to rule out the cable
Yeah, I will in the morning I think.

I was just monkeying around with ports just now and I was on port 1 (supposed be be 144hz/4k) which for some reason stuck at 4K /30 no matter what I did. I swap to port 2 (120hz/4k) and it instantly jumped to 60 hz/4k. But no higher… just bizarre. Could I have a bum unit maybe?

Yeah, I will in the morning I think.

I was just monkeying around with ports just now and I was on port 1 (supposed be be 144hz/4k) which for some reason stuck at 4K /30 no matter what I did. I swap to port 2 (120hz/4k) and it instantly jumped to 60 hz/4k. But no higher… just bizarre. Could I have a bum unit maybe?
Out of curiosity, you are numbering the ports properly? Did you double check in the TV's instruction manual? Some TV's number the ports HDMI 1-4 starting from the TOP, others start from the BOTTOM

Trogdor1123

That's not how refreshrates work on pc, limiting it to 40fps doesn't mean the screen is at 120hz.
In any case all this really shouldn't be this hard if all the hardware checks out, it should be just as plug and play as on a console; it sound like some hardware isn't cooperating, or you missed a setting on the tv.
It was the ps5 version

Also, I’m now making progress. I can get 144 hz showing in windows but it reverts to 30 fps when I start destiny. I watched a random video that stated turn the hdmi cable around helps… and it did.

Trying farcry 6 now and it’s working in the 144 hz mode (only getting about 70 fps though).

So, maybe a driver issue?

It was the ps5 version

Also, I’m now making progress. I can get 144 hz showing in windows but it reverts to 30 fps when I start destiny. I watched a random video that stated turn the hdmi cable around helps… and it did.

Trying farcry 6 now and it’s working in the 144 hz mode (only getting about 70 fps though).

You have the change the resolution and refresh rate in game sometimes. The fact you have it working in desktop means all is well.

It was the ps5 version

Welcome to AMD ownership LOL

In all seriousness, Prince of Persia The Lost Crown Demo on PS5 supports 4K/120 and actually uses that mode, so if you wanna be sure it's not the TV (it probably isn't) just download and play that demo real fast to be sure

If you definitely want to eliminate AMD drivers as an issue, try out an Nvidia card RTX 30/40 series should all work, I have both an RTX 3090 and an RTX 3060 connected through my receiver to my Samsung TV that supports 4K/120 and every source I have that supports that mode works flawlessly (PS5, gaming PC, media PC)

You would think considering I have 2x RTX 30 series cards connected to my TV I would have remembered that Ampere supports HDMI 2.1 LMAO

Last edited:

Soodanim

Welcome to AMD ownership LOL

In all seriousness, Prince of Persia The Lost Crown Demo on PS5 supports 4K/120 and actually uses that mode, so if you wanna be sure it's not the TV (it probably isn't) just download and play that demo real fast to be sure

If you definitely want to eliminate AMD drivers as an issue, try out an Nvidia card RTX 30/40 series should all work, I have both an RTX 3090 and an RTX 3060 connected through my receiver to my Samsung TV that supports 4K/120 and every source I have that supports that mode works flawlessly (PS5, gaming PC, media PC)

You would think considering I have 2x RTX 30 series cards connected to my TV I would have remembered that Ampere supports HDMI 2.1 LMAO
Yeah OP, follow this very cheap and very reasonable test of buying a completely different GPU to rule out AMD drivers as an issue

Yeah OP, follow this very cheap and very reasonable test of buying a completely different GPU to rule out AMD drivers as an issue
If he's serious about troubleshooting an issue, he needs to eliminate all possible causes

I didn't say go out and buy a 4090 and keep it, there's many ways to find a video card just to test out temporarily

Soodanim

If he's serious about troubleshooting an issue, he needs to eliminate all possible causes

I didn't say go out and buy a 4090 and keep it, there's many ways to find a video card just to test out temporarily
You can troubleshoot seriously and completely without ever doing that, and it isn't something that most people would ever even consider--for good reasons.

ThisIsMyDog

You need DisplayPort cable, not HDMI.
wrong-donald-trump.gif

If he has HDMI2.1 cable then it should easy display 4K120HZ with HDR and VRR.

ap_puff

Neo Member
so. maybe you already checked, but are you plugged in to the right port on your PC? On some motherboards there's an hdmi-out for the iGPU. Make sure you're plugged into your actual video card's hdmi-out.

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
You need to lower the resolution to 1080 on the pc and you will see the option appear, depending on the tv it can work at 1440p too
And change to Gane mode

winjer

Gold Member
It was the ps5 version

Are you forcing v-sync.
If your PC can't deliver the 144 fps, it will resort to forcing half the rate.

Does your TV support Free-sync? If so, open the Windows graphics settings, or the AMD control panel, go to Display and Enable Adaptive Sync Compatible.

Also, in the Display tab, in the AMD control panel, there is a menu called Display Specs. Open it and see what the monitor is reporting to your GPU.

GymWolf

Gold Member
The nvidia control panel has 2 sets of resolutions, normal one and pc one, you have to chose from the pc resolutions to get the higher framerate, i had the same problem the first day that i attached the new pc to a 120hz screen.

ap_puff

Neo Member
The nvidia control panel has 2 sets of resolutions, normal one and pc one, you have to chose from the pc resolutions to get the higher framerate, i had the same problem the first day that i attached the new pc to a 120hz screen.
he's on an amd gpu

Kuranghi

Ratchet worked at 4K@120hz so It's just the cable, use the PS5 cable between the PC and TV.

Or am I missing something and you already tried that?

TrueLegend

1. Relax
2. Since you get 4K60 then well it is working
3. Now test HDR forget bit depth
4. If you can get HDR working than atleast it supports 4K60HDR which means it is decent cable
5. Try clean install with DDU (it's a custom tool search for it)
6. Post a pic of cable here.
7. A 4K120 cable usually supports 8K and so it would be there. Next time buy 8K cable if you want to be sure that you are buying 4K120 as a rule of thumb and as you don't know much about these things.

It can be driver or Cable once you have checked each HDMI port

Last edited:
Top Bottom