• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you deal with the guilt of spending too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo_ZX

Damn I just dropped $1300 on car audio and I don't know if I should return half of it now. I feel bad since I should be saving money but as soon as I got on full time work it's just been spend, spend, spend.

Do you normally end up returning your impulse buys or do you try to justify your purchase to yourself? I figure my new stuff will last me for the lifetime of the car and will make going to work a lot more fun.... yes. It WILL be more fun...

DMczaf

Neo_ZX said:
Damn I just dropped $1300 on car audio

explosion.jpg

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I don't my missus makes 3.5x more than I do so she does all the big spending... I've never seen anything look like guilt cross her face... ;)

Neo_ZX

I usually have a comfort barrier of $500. If there's not enough planning into a purchase above that, I feel the guilt.

I need to find a broad that makes 3.5x more too.

GodsTyro

jeez!!!!! spending that much on some useless shit like that...im gonna be living on campus next semester studying how to develop games..gimme half that and i could buy a decent PC..i havent bought a PC (or anything for that matter..minus clothes and a few music cd's in years)

Neo_ZX

Well this is Canadian funds so that's probably... $775 USD?
If you heard how shitty my system was you'd understand. That's what I keep telling myself.

bjork

I don't spend too much unless it's something I think I need or really want, so I usually don't have guilt attached to purchases.

Though I will look back months down the road and be like "why did I buy this", so maybe that counts. :shrug:

aoi tsuki

i usually only spend large sums of money on tech stuff, so "spending too much" for me is simply a matter of buying it now versus buying it a few months later. i'm always informed about what i'm buying, so there's never any guilt involved.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I spend little bits at a time..lots... hahah so I don't feel so bad about spending... in the end it is the same.. wish I could save money better.. just started cooking more to save money

I bought a couple of things last night that amounted into something like $70, and I almost couldn't sleep because I felt so guilty. All I bought were some books, but it just doesn't feel right. :(

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Cripes, I feel guilty about buying lunch.

Luckily being dirt poor is giving me unparalleled restraint in my spending habits.

Kuramu

i was spoiled by my father when i was little; he bought me pretty much whatever i wanted. you'd think it would have made me a spoiled, money crazy spender, but it worked in reverse. I never got an allowance, never got in the habit of going to the store, never got in the habit of buying things for myself, so now it never even occurs to me to go out and spend. I make due with what i have, and the money piles up in my bank account.

the only thing i splurge on is an occasional game, but i consider that a necessity in life... so no guilt

evil ways

I don't have any guilt with spending. I work, and I deserve anything I desire to buy. Unless you are broke, unemployed and with major debts, you shouldn't worry about spending.

Slo

I usually regret purchases above $10. What can I say, I'm a cheap bastard, except when it comes to computer parts.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
It's called Buyer's remorse. Everyone goes through it at one time or another.

But you acted like you were just getting an amp and a sub when we all tried to help you earlier this week. Sounds like you got more than that.

Chopin Trusty Balls

First casualty in the war on idioticy.
Kuramu said:
i was spoiled by my father when i was little; he bought me pretty much whatever i wanted. you'd think it would have made me a spoiled, money crazy spender, but it worked in reverse. I never got an allowance, never got in the habit of going to the store, never got in the habit of buying things for myself, so now it never even occurs to me to go out and spend. I make due with what i have, and the money piles up in my bank account.

the only thing i splurge on is an occasional game, but i consider that a necessity in life... so no guilt

So i am not alone after all

Pimpwerx

Buyer's remorse? Why? The stereo's not worth $1300? If you aren't impressed with the product, return it. Otherwise, accept the fact that you need to pay to play for most things. I ended up spending about $500 all told for my car stereo, and I don't have a sub. Considering the setup I got, I think I paid less than I should, and I have mid-range gear. I could easily have spent that much on just the components alone, but I didn't think the difference would have mattered to me, and I'm probably right. My car bangs plenty as is. So if the stereo bangs to your approval, then don't sweat it, don't look back. We all spend large amounts of money on useless shit. So just enjoy it before it's stolen. ;) PEACE.

Shit, I always feel bad after dropping large amounts of money like that. I know I should be saving for the future. I just can't bring myself to do that most of the time. Oh well, as has been said, the feeling passes.

Surround sound setup - guilt
HDTV - guilt
Looking at my DVD collection - guilt

But, if you get alot of enjoyment out of the things you buy, then it's worth it, I think.

DaveH

I try to get my money's worth... if it's entertainment, I calculate how much I'd cost me to do this same thing another way (rentals, theater, arcade, library, whatever...) or how many hours I'm expected to use it against my wage. Then ask myself, "Will I use it/enjoy it that much?" or "I am I willing to stay at my job/not retire for X more days/weeks/months to have this?" If I can say "Yes" then no problem... if "No" then the guilt sets in and I seek out ways to recoup the cost (skimp on other pleasures to make up the difference or find a way to return or resell the item). 90% of the time I do this BEFORE buying the thing to spare myself the pain.

Live debt free.

The real problem are all the small expenses and the practically "free" stuff that ends up comsuming your more valuable asset: Time. Years vanish in front of the TV and monitor for downloaded media... beware!

Tekky

Blackace said:
I spend little bits at a time..lots... hahah so I don't feel so bad about spending... in the end it is the same.. wish I could save money better.. just started cooking more to save money

I told you you should stop going to the stripclubs! :)

I spend more to deal with guilt, then I spend...nevermind

I switched from videogames to music, but sadly I seem to be buying in a volume that presents no positive spending habit changes.

Neo_ZX said:
Do you normally end up returning your impulse buys or do you try to justify your purchase to yourself? I figure my new stuff will last me for the lifetime of the car and will make going to work a lot more fun.... yes. It WILL be more fun...

I return it if it cost me a lot. If it's past the limit I can return something, I put it up on ebay.

Surprisingly, I've actually made a profit doing that.

I figure if I work hard, I should be able to enjoy myself a little. However I need to learn that sometimes when ya work hard, you dont really get anything back and arent able to enjoy yourself. RESTRAINT SO HARD!

Neo_ZX

enjoy it before it's stolen

I got suckered into the 4 year FutureGuard plan at FutureShop too in case my stuff gets stolen, which cost me $1.19 per $100 owing. I only put it on the amp and sub but they'll replace it if it gets jacked.

Guilt? If you feel guilt, take it back.

If you're bragging, however, and calling it guilt, your gloating is tacky.

It's not bragging and it's not like I can't afford it (I'm using my vacation pay that I was previously shafted on), but like Macro said it's more cause I think to myself I should save towards the future. Something that I and I'm sure many others always seem to be putting off.

I certainly didn't need it, but it's something to make everyday life more interesting I guess. Same reason people buy huge TVs and shit. Same guilt too probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom