• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How exactly does a "Super Gun" works ?

Hellraizah

I'm thinking about getting one, I'm eyeing the Super Nova from MAS Systems. It's somewhat cheap for a "Super Gun" that comes with 2 sticks (300$). All I wanna know is : What do I have to buy to get Street Fighter 3 : Third Strike running on that thing ?

Do I only need the game PCB, or do I need a CPS III card, that plugs into the Super Nova, and then the game PCB ?

I'm new to all this and I would need your advices on how is works.

Hellraizah

shuri said:
I would love to order from there, but the way you have to buy stuff is totally unnaceptable
It's VERY painful to order. But their stuff is high quality (except their PS2 -> Xbox converter). I love the PS2 stick.

shuri

Banned
If they would re-design their website with a real online store, i would buy a supergun right away from them. It just looks unprofessionnal and I dont like faxing my infos around like that

I mean, what the fuck, for 300$ a piece for a supergun kit, they could afford a webmaster that would install the scripts for the store.

retards

A supergun is anything that lets you run arcade hardware on a home TV or monitor - it's basically another name for an arcade test rig. To run SF3:3s running on it, you'd need everything that'd you need to run the game in an arcade cab: the CPS3 board, CD-ROM drive, 3s CD-ROM, etc. $300 isn't -cheap- for a supergun, as you can build one from parts for around $80-$150, but it's a decent deal with the sticks I suppose (if you like MAS sticks).

It seems a little strange to want a super gun for SF3rd right now, when the PS2 version is out this month, and an online version is out early next year. Plus I'm sure that there are going to be display issues, somebody else confirm this line of thought, since the super is likely going to output arcade resolutions and how is your TV going to handle to them. This is a possible headache.

Now I've never used one, but I have pics of boxes that look fundamentaly simple, but not necessarily the best option, especially now. Also, anybody know if CPS3 pcbs die after a awhile like the CPS2's did, due to a battery for ROM running down? It's been a while since I read up on this stuff.

Cool ass collectors item, yes. But how practical is it with these concerns and imminent console releases?

Now I agree that MAS comes off as unprofessional, which is why I wrote a buyer's guide, but it's not exactly hard to call them up and order. Phone orders are last decade, but still easy. I mean, when I called up and the lady had to come inside because her daughter was making too much noise in the yard for her to hear what button layout I wanted I was like, "Do I want to drop $250 down these people?" But I still got my stick the next week, exactly how I wanted it.

Overall, MAS was a hell of a lot better buying experience than ordering off Red Octane, let me tell you. I may be alone on this one, but those fuckers screwed me in shipping. I was pissed at RO.

At $300, you may as well put out another $100 and get a full blown cabinet which includes like a 29" monitor. Only reason to get a supergun is if space is a concern.

Top Bottom